PDA

View Full Version : curly hair is flat in top, not curly like bottom help!

shirlee
July 8th, 2010, 07:33 PM
Does anyone have tips to make top of hair curlier. I use clips when I dry.

triumphator!
July 8th, 2010, 07:43 PM
My hair is basically 1b on top, and 2a underneath... it makes no sense. I'll be watching this thread to see if anyone has any ideas for what to do about this without heat styling...

GRU
July 8th, 2010, 08:00 PM
First of all, what is your routine like now?

Do you use shampoo? Do you CO-wash? Do you use silicones or sulfates? Do you Curly Girl?

Do you heat-style your hair? Blowfryer or searing iron?

What types of styling products are you using?

Do you brush or comb?

Do you plop and/or scrunch?

Have you tried pinning up the roots during drying?

Do you have layers or one-length hair?

And I know it's horrendously long, but there is a TON of advice in the Wurly and Curly Thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=369). Grab a snack and a beverage and change into some comfy clothes and sit down for a good long Wurly/Curly read! :)

heynormy
July 9th, 2010, 10:12 PM
I agree with GRU!
My roots are practically straight..and I've come to terms with that, but then again I go back and forth between 2A and 2B!
I think a lot of it has to do with the weight of your hair also. When my hair was shorter, I got more definition at the root, however the longer it gets, the straighter it gets!! :)

serverus
July 10th, 2010, 12:29 AM
me too.. Maybe you can diffuse up side down. It give's me the best root curl

Maybe you can search this forum by typing root curl...

Their are a few ways to gain more root curl. But it takes a lot of effort.

Tabitha
July 10th, 2010, 05:33 AM
My hair is like this, the underlayer forms spirals sometimes, the canopy is almost straight especially higher up.

I've not had much success making the top curlier, so for a more polished look I tend to blowdry so it's all straight.

One style that I like is the half-up, because the straighter canopy is lifted away to reveal the curlier underlayer. It's also a good style if you're going out to eat and want to wear your hair down - you still get to show off your long hair but it stays out of your food :p

Purdy Bear
July 10th, 2010, 05:38 AM
My hair used to be like that, just a small kink at the top and spiral curls at it got longer, and it was pretty thick hair, youd think it would be the other way round!

masa_inn
July 10th, 2010, 06:26 AM
washing upside down helps. We have a bathtub where DH installed a flexible/removable shower head (so we can wash a baby). Now baby is all grown up and I use this shower to wash my hair.

Roseate
July 10th, 2010, 06:47 AM
I think it's pretty common to have less curl at the root, particularly with type 2 hair. My canopy is naturally the least wurly part, but I can encourage some more wave there by plopping (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/its-a-curly-world/to-plop-or-not-to-plop) as it's drying.

squiggyflop
July 10th, 2010, 08:03 AM
um well i have straightish hair on top all the way to my waist.. then i have stretched out spirals...
um if you dry your hair kind of piled up on a pillow lying down the hairs weight wont pull the top straight during the drying process

*Aoife*
July 10th, 2010, 09:19 AM
My roots look straight but my entire length is wavey and curly. I fingercomb upside down when I wash my hair. It makes my hair more wavey than curly but it gives me a lot of definition at the roots.