PDA

View Full Version : Would the hair style of a hairdresser put you off letting them cut your hair?

vanity_acefake
July 8th, 2010, 05:48 PM
I just wondered if you went to a salon to get your hair cut and you hated the stylists hair would you let them loose on your hair. Because i have seen some hairdressers with quite horrendous hair dos that they really do not suit and look like they were done in the dark and to be honest i do find it rather off putting!

Kathie
July 8th, 2010, 05:51 PM
Yes! I carefully select hairdressers based on this. Its just human nature that people try to impart their sense of style on others- if their sense doesn’t match mine its going to be a disaster.

jane53
July 8th, 2010, 05:51 PM
Well, I've gotten decent trims from stylists whose hair I hated, but the reason I started going to my current and long-time stylist is that I saw her beautiful tailbone length hair. So that's kind of a reverse.

spidermom
July 8th, 2010, 06:05 PM
One time I walked into a salon on a whim and saw a stylist with what I thought was hideous hair. I thought "no way would I let her cut my hair." Then she went to the desk and called out my name and I realized all of a sudden "No, wait. I don't want whoever cut her hair to cut my hair." So I sat in her chair, told her what I wanted (a trim), and she did exactly what I asked. I was very happy.

ibleedlipstick
July 8th, 2010, 06:14 PM
Yes. As odd as it sounds, I do factor that in when I'm looking for a stylist. If someone has super short razored hair, then they obviously like that style, and may push it on me.

However, the absolute worst haircut/bleach I have ever had, the one that resulted in my having to have my head shaved, was done by a woman who had classic, virgin hair. Weird....

Igor
July 8th, 2010, 06:27 PM
One time I walked into a salon on a whim and saw a stylist with what I thought was hideous hair. I thought "no way would I let her cut my hair." Then she went to the desk and called out my name and I realized all of a sudden "No, wait. I don't want whoever cut her hair to cut my hair." So I sat in her chair, told her what I wanted (a trim), and she did exactly what I asked. I was very happy.

Exactly. Besides, you want someone that listens and does what you asked for and nothing else. His/hers personal style, taste (or lack of luck with stylists!) doesn’t matter

*Aoife*
July 8th, 2010, 06:36 PM
It sounds bad, but yes! If I go into a salon and my hairdresser has a cut or colour that doesn't suit his/her face or skintone, then I don't want them messing with my hair. If they can't get a hair cut that suits them then I question their ability to style my hair in a way that suits me.

julliams
July 8th, 2010, 06:38 PM
My dad used to always say "tongue in cheek" that if you went into a salon and there where two hairdressers, one with a great style and one with bad style - choose the one with the bad style, because he/she most likely did the other stylists hair. LOL. Not sure that actually applies.

I've had people whose hair I thought was a bit way out do my hair. It doesn't matter to me. Just because they choose to look scruffy that day doesn't mean they are bad at their job, of just because they wear an assymetrical bob, doesn't mean they are going to cut my hair wonky.

Having said that, I don't actually have a hairdresser because I've never found anyone that I'd want to stick with longer than about 3 cuts.

MissManda
July 8th, 2010, 07:02 PM
My old hairstylist had even finer hair than me and she permed the living daylights out of her poor hair. She had the "poofy dandelion" thing going on, but she still did a good job on my hair. I try not to judge a hairstylist just by the way their hair looks.

GRU
July 8th, 2010, 07:13 PM
If their hair looks "dead" then I wouldn't want to go to them, simply because they obviously don't know how to treat hair properly.

(yeah, I know hair isn't really alive, but if it's a really harsh, flat, dull color and it looks like it's been beaten with an ugly stick (or iron) that was plugged into an electrical circuit, that's what I would consider to be "dead" hair)

The style doesn't matter to me so much -- some people are slaves to fashion or a certain look or whatever -- but if their hair has been horribly abused, I'd want to call HPS* and stay as far away as possible. *Hair Protective Services

With that being said, I've had the same stylist since 1992, even though I haven't been to see her for a year or two (no more bangs/layers = no more need for haircuts). She does what YOU want and ALWAYS shows the client how much she's going to snip and asks if it's okay before she makes the cut (which is almost silly, b/c I don't think she's ever taken off more than about 5mm!).

jasper
July 8th, 2010, 07:18 PM
My dad used to always say "tongue in cheek" that if you went into a salon and there where two hairdressers, one with a great style and one with bad style - choose the one with the bad style, because he/she most likely did the other stylists hair. . . . .

My brother used to tell it as kind of a elementary school logic riddle. In his scenario, there are only two barbers in town, and you have to pick one- the scruffy one or the one with a neat, nice looking hair cut. :rolleyes:

HikerTrash
July 8th, 2010, 07:25 PM
I'm really intimidated by all hair stylists. That is why I have long hair!

Jenw777
July 8th, 2010, 07:35 PM
I hate going to Mastercuts because whoever is available cuts your hair, you can't pick. One girl took a chunk out of the back of my hair and never told me. I had a fit. Everytime after that they tried to stick me with her and I run out.

Hotrox
July 8th, 2010, 07:46 PM
I only let hair dresses with naturally curly and worn curly hair cut mine. I figure that they have more of an understanding about the curl pattern, and therefore shape of the cut/layers needed. So, yes, it effects my decision.

missfortune9335
July 8th, 2010, 08:25 PM
I let a hair dresser with really bad hair (totally fried) cut my hair once many years ago, I figured it didn't matter what *her* hair looked like because I was going to tell her how I wanted *mine* and it would be fine right? nope. I had APL hair at the time, wanted it cut to the top of my shoulders and walked out with hair at my jaw line. (I was young and didn't speak up soon enough) ever since then, if I don't think the stylist looks good (they can have whatever kind of style they want, but it should be done well and look healthy) I don't let them cut my hair...

Dragon
July 8th, 2010, 09:06 PM
I dont think I would. I dont go to them anyway as dont trust them. But if I ever did for some reason, there hair would have to look good on them.

chelssix
July 8th, 2010, 09:13 PM
To my clients, my hair possibly looks a little dull- except for the pink! because I usually have it up. While not dull, it's not the most exciting, but I need my hair out of the way so I can focus on yours.

(Also, the little old ladies always marvel that I can style it myself!)

wasf1675
July 8th, 2010, 09:14 PM
If the hair looks a mess, I can't trust that person's skills and won't risk my money or my hair.

I try to ask for recommendations from people who have nice hair.

Lianna
July 9th, 2010, 12:55 AM
People have different tastes. As long the hairdresser does what I asked, I'm pleased. Might be the wrong place for me to say it but some people LIKE short hair too (most hairstylers I know have short hair).

Toadstool
July 9th, 2010, 01:19 AM
No, I don't care what their hair looks like, only mine, and we all have different taste.

Loreley
July 9th, 2010, 01:46 AM
I wouldn't care about the hairdresser's hair if I wanted only a small trim. :)

drquartz1970
July 9th, 2010, 03:59 AM
i only allow hair dressers who wear long hair to waist to cut or trim my hair.

Loviatar
July 9th, 2010, 04:09 AM
Doesnt bother me in the slightest.

A: she/he didn't (probably) cut her/his own hair, so I should be more concerned about not getting the person who did cut her/his hair, rather than the person with the wacky haircut;

but more importantly
B: if she/he is a good stylist, she/he'll listen to what you want, and not give you the same haircut she/he has.

schweedie
July 9th, 2010, 04:27 AM
I had a guy with a crew cut do my hair once. That freaked me out, to be honest. I was all, "But he can't understand how important your hair is!" (I didn't realise he was the one who was going to do my hair when I booked the appointment.)

Tiina
July 9th, 2010, 04:34 AM
My best hair salon experiences were with a 40 something man who rather looked like a real estate agent than a hairdresser, while the worst were with a woman with beautiful natural blonde midback hair. As long as they can listen to you and not forget what you want, it doesn't matter what style they have.

Finoriel
July 9th, 2010, 04:59 AM
Most hairdressers/stylists get their hair done by a colleague :p so I´d not let said colleague cut my hair, if it looks like it´s badly done.
Otherwise it´s their choice how they like to wear their hair (and sometimes due to the salon owners "recommendation"), and tastes vary. If I simply do not like the kind of haircut the stylist wears I´d just make sure that they know which kind of style I want them to cut on me and let them do it. Back in the day I went to stylish stylists and to ones sporting a lilac perm or a mullet, no issues with that.
I´m not trimming my own hair because I would not trust stylists, nor do I have bad experiences with them. :wink: I just trim my own hair because I can, and because I´m too cheap to pay someone for doing something I can easily do myself :p.

squiggyflop
July 9th, 2010, 06:48 AM
um well it depends on many things..

they obviously didnt cut their own hair.. they might be trying to make the best of a cut another hairdresser gave them..

i do not like heavily colored/bleached hair on a stylist.. i always have the fear that they will try and push me into something i dont want..

all and all the only one i trust to cut my hair is me.. why pay money for something i can get for free.. but then again im better at cutting hair than most women i think...

MizzAlice
July 9th, 2010, 07:47 AM
To quote my sagacious cousin "It's not how the horse looks, but how it rides that counts"- and in that respect, this seems to apply to hairdressers, too. I generally evaluate a potential candidate by sitting in the waiting area of the salon for a few hours and observing their clients as they are being coiffed. Personal aesthetic can be a veritable red herring in most instances.

By the way, GRU, I adore the hue of your hair in your avatar! What was your starting color?

Mizz A

GRU
July 9th, 2010, 08:00 AM
By the way, GRU, I adore the hue of your hair in your avatar! What was your starting color?

Aww, thanks! :crush:

That picture is deceiving, because I took it in my bathroom, and the lighting there puts a much redder tinge to it than is actually there.

My original color is a strawberry-blonde-brown mixture type of thingy, and I henna to cover my grays. It does give it a slightly more reddish hue than my original color, but it's not too much different from where I started.

This picture (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=5683&pictureid=74271) was also taken in my bathroom, but only half of it in the vanity light -- you can see how much red the vanity lights add!

This picture (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=5683&pictureid=74272) was taken on the same day, but outdoors with both sunlight and shade.

My hair is kind of like a chameleon or a mood ring -- it can change colors depending on its surrounding or its temperament at any given moment! :lol:

naereid
July 9th, 2010, 09:07 AM
I've been going to the same hairdresser since I was a teenager. She's always had a pixie haircut. But she has never done anything to me that I didn't agree on beforehand. Sure I may dislike my layers now, but in 2008 it was me who asked her to cut some in. ;) Oh, and she also thinks it's great that a place like LHC exists and approves of LHC methods.

moominhapa
July 9th, 2010, 09:30 AM
Meh. A woman with a buzz cut gave me one of the best haircuts I've ever had. I think good stylists know how to separate what they want from what you want.

whoanellie
July 9th, 2010, 11:05 AM
Well, I see lots of people here saying they wouldn't go to a stylist whose hair they didn't like/didn't think suited the person/etc, so I'll come in on the opposite side. I really just don't think it matters.

For years I saw a stylist who went through lots of hair transitions, many of which I didn't like or thought didn't look very good on her (including falls and such that looks rather rats-nest-y). However she did the most killer coloring and haircuts of anyone I've ever seen in my entire life. She was absolutely fantastic.

If I had judged her by looks alone, I would have missed out on several years of great cuts and colors!

Xandergrammy
July 9th, 2010, 11:09 AM
Yes. I don't get my hair cut, but if I ever walked in and someone with short, spiky, artificially multi-toned hair (or whatever the current fashionable hairstyle was), I'd run away screaming.

triumphator!
July 9th, 2010, 11:10 AM
I just wondered if you went to a salon to get your hair cut and you hated the stylists hair would you let them loose on your hair. Because i have seen some hairdressers with quite horrendous hair dos that they really do not suit and look like they were done in the dark and to be honest i do find it rather off putting!

As much as I hate to judge a book by its cover, if a stylist's hair looks like it could break off any second, and it's been fried and looks like straw, I might be wary. If I think the style or color is goofy, but it looks healthy, I wouldn't have any second thoughts.

Medievalmaniac
July 9th, 2010, 11:22 AM
I haven't been to a salon in a long time - nobody touches my hair with scissors except me; I had enough with cuts and styles and colors that didn't flatter me and chatting away about things I don't care about with people I don't know. All of that was my own fault - and the answer is, just don't go. If I can't do it to my own hair, it doesn't need to be done to my hair.

But, that said, in my opinion it's not whether or not I like the person's haircut/style. I don't have to like it, to recognize when it is a "good product" or a "bad product". If you work in a salon, your hair should reflect that, no matter the length, texture, color, etc. If there were a woman with gorgeous, to-die-for layers, and her hair was Marge Simpson blue but shiny, glossy, and well-tended, I would let her cut my hair. If you look like you rolled out of bed this morning, but the cut/style is clearly there, just under bedhead, I'd probably let you cut my hair. If your hair looks like a 3 year old with ADHD took a sharp knife to it and then spilled food coloring over your head - well, you might be the best hairdresser this side of the Atlantic ocean, but you're never getting your paws on my tresses.

Essentially, if you are a stylist, you should look like you know what you are doing - and like you care about it. In my opinion, only. I'm sure there are fabulous stylists whose own hair looks awful, but I would not let one like that cut my hair.

HintOfMint
July 9th, 2010, 12:03 PM
It used to be one of the factors when I had a short haircut and wanted it a bit "out there" and razor cut. It was a bit more comforting when the stylist had an avant garde cut, because then she was more likely to give me the cut I actually wanted. The kind of women who cut my mother's hair weren't really well suited for that.
But with longer hair, the style of the hairdresser doesn't bother me, I just want a well shaped hemline. That translates pretty well across the mainstream to subcultures.
Although I still like an "alternative" cut on my stylist, so I can live vicariously through them.

going gray
July 9th, 2010, 12:56 PM
Meh. A woman with a buzz cut gave me one of the best haircuts I've ever had. I think good stylists know how to separate what they want from what you want.

Exactly true, I found the greatest gal 2 years ago. she's completely supportive of my goals. Because she's a stylist her hair is usuallly the current trend.

LisaButz2001
July 11th, 2010, 12:03 PM
Sometimes the non-conformist stylists with tattoos and "different" hair might be best, because you are going against the grain with long hair, and in their own way, so are they. They are more likely to understand you saying you don't want to change, since they don't either.

triumphator!
July 11th, 2010, 12:26 PM
Too bad you have to hunt down good stylists for long hair. We need an official LHC salon. Could you imagine? It would specialize in dusting, SMT's and have the right products (cone free, sls free, protein free, etc etc etc) in their retail area! :D

Sammich
July 11th, 2010, 02:09 PM
Yes, it would. :p To be honest, I wouldn't let a bad haired hairstylist cut my hair! :p

My fiance laughed and said that if he were to become a hairstylist, he should go bald so nobody could judge his skill on his hairstyle. ;)

FrannyG
July 11th, 2010, 02:20 PM
I know a lot of hairstylists who love to have their hair experimented on by other stylists, sometimes with unhappy results. Back in the days when I went to salons, that didn't bother me a bit. It still wouldn't.

The most important thing is a hairstylist who listens, respects my requests, and is good at what he or she does.

Their personal preferences about their own hair seems irrelevant to me.

shockinglength
July 11th, 2010, 03:41 PM

YES!!! This is what happened when I wanted to get a new stylist...and I LOVEd her so much that I keep going back, because she does exactly what I want.

ravenreed
July 11th, 2010, 03:44 PM
I agree completely. Hair is an expression of personal style. I love seeing the interesting things other people come up with on their hair. All I care about is that my hairstylist knows what he/she is doing and does what I ask.

I know a lot of hairstylists who love to have their hair experimented on by other stylists, sometimes with unhappy results. Back in the days when I went to salons, that didn't bother me a bit. It still wouldn't.

The most important thing is a hairstylist who listens, respects my requests, and is good at what he or she does.

Their personal preferences about their own hair seems irrelevant to me.

Dragon
September 27th, 2010, 07:34 AM
Yes. Defently.

KittyLost
September 27th, 2010, 11:51 AM
I can't remember if I posted on this before or not :s so I'm posting!

I wouldn't let the hair style of the hairdresser put me off because chances are they have had their hair cut by someone else in the salon! Like that riddle about the dentists and the bad teeth.

Henrietta
September 27th, 2010, 02:15 PM
When I used to go to the salon for trimming I noticed that if a hairdresser has an extravagant hairstyle she/he would like to do it on your hair too. When I asked a hairdresser (he had dark brown short hair with a blonde mohawk) to trim my ends, he cut about 6 inches of my hair. Because he knows better what's fashionable, and of course fashion is the most important thing. *sigh*

Lady Mary
September 27th, 2010, 03:00 PM
Yes, I've done this in the past. It's likely that they didn't cut their own hair (although some of them actually do) but if the style is wacky or the hair is very damage, I'll stay away. (Think midwest lady with poofy 80's shoulder length bleached hair, run away! :eyebrows:) Most of the best hair cuts I have had came from young girls with hip hair cuts, although I did have an excellent hair cut once by an Asian man with a cute business cut.

supermanok03
September 27th, 2010, 05:33 PM
haha i never considered the fact that someone ELSE did their hair!!! one of the reasons i hate getting my hair cut in salons is because i can't find a stylist with hair that i like! it's funny, when i go with my boyfriend and wait while he gets his hair cut, there is one stylist that is always doing extensions. but her hair looks terrible!! super fried and just in terrible condition. everybody else there has short hair, so i never get my hair cut there!