PDA

View Full Version : Help! Should I change my hairstyle?

janedoe0
July 8th, 2010, 01:35 PM
Hi everybody! Lately I've been feeling pretty bored with my hairstyle, and am looking for a change. I'm tempted to cut it off and waste the 3 years I spent growing it out to waist, but the other idea is getting bangs. Since strangers are usually more honest in answering questions like these than my friends are, I wanted to ask all of you: what do you think? Would bangs work on me? If not, any other ideas? I'm really tempted to just cut my hair off right now, since a lot of people say I look better with short hair anyway....

Sorry for the no makeup face, but I usually like to let my skin breath when I am at home:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=4620&pictureid=76281
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=4620&pictureid=76282
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=4620&pictureid=76283

Thanks everybody!

Elenna
July 8th, 2010, 01:40 PM
You have beautiful hair. Bangs can make a difference, but it just depends on how YOU feel about your hair. Usually we say, wait 2 weeks before making any decision.

Fethenwen
July 8th, 2010, 01:43 PM
Well, your hair seems to be in good condition and looks lovely on you so I don't think it would be necessary to chop it short at least.
First off, you might want to try to do different hairstyles with your long hair for variation. And second, I really think a side swept fringe might work well for your face shape :) And maybe add some layers to frame the face? Also taking a bit off the length really refreshes the whole look, you don't have to cut much.

lundmir
July 8th, 2010, 01:52 PM
I second the suggestion for face framing layers, but please do think a looong time before you decide. I think you look lovely as you are right now, why not try new hairstyles? There are plenty of tutorials on youtube and the internet.
Anyway, you're gorgeous and I'm sure you'll look great with whichever look you decide to get.

Dragon
July 8th, 2010, 09:43 PM
Defently think long befor you decide to take off to much length or decide to get layers as they take for ever to grow out. Your hair looks healthy and looks really nice the way it is.

janedoe0
July 8th, 2010, 09:57 PM
Thanks everybody! I'll think about it a little more, but I might just go for the face framing layers. The side swept bangs idea is nice too, but knowing me it might be annoying and get it the way.

countryhopper
July 10th, 2010, 08:01 AM
Yep, I agree with face framing layers! I think short bangs wouldn't look as good, but that's just my opinion.

I also like your hair just the way it is! :)

triumphator!
July 10th, 2010, 08:25 AM
Adding side-swept bangs can really change your appearance, and they will emphasize your healthy, pretty hair! I would suggest cutting it to the next standard length up, if you really insist on cutting it. That way if you miss it you'll have it back faster than if you cut it radically.

shilpa733
July 10th, 2010, 08:28 AM
@triumphator!
hey, even i got side bangs. They really look good.

Lianna
July 10th, 2010, 08:31 AM
I think bangs would look cute, and you're one of those few people who won't have to style it.

Kome
July 10th, 2010, 08:39 AM
I would get some layers cut around your face, like long bangs. I remember being at this length with blonde hair. I have very similar layers to the ones you have now. I was bored with it, but when I see pictures and videos, I looked SO MUCH BETTER with long hair, but that's just me. I look horrid with short hair. If people think you look better with short hair then keep that in mind. The layers in the front of your face will make it seem short up front and then you can keep it long in back. If you still don't like that then you can do bangs. :)

I really regretted cutting my hair off at that length, but it was pretty fried anyways and I didn't care for being a blonde. Good luck and post pictures!

May
July 10th, 2010, 08:58 AM
Slow to reply but I was wondering what you decided to do with your hair? Did you get bangs? I'd recommend side swept bangs. Maybe get a trim and see how that works as well. Best of luck and if you have some pics we'd love to see :)

Sammich
July 10th, 2010, 09:40 AM
Slow to reply but I was wondering what you decided to do with your hair? Did you get bangs? I'd recommend side swept bangs. Maybe get a trim and see how that works as well. Best of luck and if you have some pics we'd love to see :)

Yup, I want to see! :D
You're beautiful by the way, I can't wait to see what you choose.

UltraBella
July 10th, 2010, 09:52 AM
Have you recently seen any pics of Jennifer Love Hewitt's bangs ? They are gorgeous ! She has the perfect bangs right now. They are not side swept, they are full and just a little longer on each side than they are in the middle.
Bangs can be fun, layers can be fun...... No matter what, just enjoy your hair.

janedoe0
July 10th, 2010, 11:33 PM
Thanks for the suggestions everybody! I'm going to the hairdresser on Tuesday to get face framing layers or maybe sideswept bangs, I'm still looking at pictures online and trying to decide. I'm going to talk to the hairdresser, she's really nice and is never pushy about getting me to cut too much off. I'll post some pictures when I'm done!

I would get some layers cut around your face, like long bangs. I remember being at this length with blonde hair. I have very similar layers to the ones you have now. I was bored with it, but when I see pictures and videos, I looked SO MUCH BETTER with long hair, but that's just me. I look horrid with short hair. If people think you look better with short hair then keep that in mind. The layers in the front of your face will make it seem short up front and then you can keep it long in back. If you still don't like that then you can do bangs. :)

I really regretted cutting my hair off at that length, but it was pretty fried anyways and I didn't care for being a blonde. Good luck and post pictures!

Thanks for the advice, it's nice to hear from someone that went through the same problem. I'm so tempted to just cut it short, but I look at pictures of myself and remember that while a lot of people liked me with short hair, I always felt unhappy and not like myself with it.

janedoe0
July 10th, 2010, 11:49 PM
Have you recently seen any pics of Jennifer Love Hewitt's bangs ? They are gorgeous ! She has the perfect bangs right now. They are not side swept, they are full and just a little longer on each side than they are in the middle.
Bangs can be fun, layers can be fun...... No matter what, just enjoy your hair.

I looked up pictures of Jennifer Love Hewitt; she really does have envy-inducing bangs, but I'm not sure if I'd be able to pull them off with my face shape....:(

Pierre
July 11th, 2010, 12:04 AM
Do you have any hairtoys? You can make your hair look short, even when it's long. Right now I have my hair in two bundles folded over each other behind my head and held with Flexis. From the front, it looks short, except that there are few ends visible. Or you could do a half-up, making your hair look shorter than it is, but not above-collar short. Or you could braid it. Or you could...

countryhopper
July 11th, 2010, 08:24 AM
No! NO! NO!! DO NOT CUT OFF YOUR BEAUTIFUL HAIR!!

I know it is super hot in Beijing right now (I'm on the same side of the world :D), so you need to learn some cute styles to get your hair up and out of the way! Loose hair is so hot!

Bangs are a good option, so are face framing layers. I wouldn't suggest mei mei bangs, though... :)

GoddesJourney
July 11th, 2010, 10:05 AM
Wow. I expected some monster to come out of the pictures when you actually apologized in advance for not covering it up with any makeup. I can't imagine you ever needing any.

About the hair... You have a great face for long layers or side swept bangs. Keep your length, but just add a little style to it if you're bored with it.

TiltedHal0
July 11th, 2010, 10:09 AM
I can't see the pictures, it keeps saying I'm not authorized to view...is that because I'm new here?

janedoe0
July 11th, 2010, 11:25 PM
Thanks for the kind words and encouragement everybody!

Do you have any hairtoys? You can make your hair look short, even when it's long. Right now I have my hair in two bundles folded over each other behind my head and held with Flexis. From the front, it looks short, except that there are few ends visible. Or you could do a half-up, making your hair look shorter than it is, but not above-collar short. Or you could braid it. Or you could...

I actually don't have any hair toys because I find it impossible to do any real hairstyles because of the thickness of my hair and its layers. I realized that the pictures I posted don't reflect how thick it really is. My hair is really, really, REALLY thick, thick to the point that it looks like fake hair. (I've been asked before if I wear hair extensions....) Since I can't really do anything with it besides ponytails and half-ups, I'm always concerned with the cut of it.

janedoe0
July 11th, 2010, 11:35 PM
No! NO! NO!! DO NOT CUT OFF YOUR BEAUTIFUL HAIR!!

I know it is super hot in Beijing right now (I'm on the same side of the world :D), so you need to learn some cute styles to get your hair up and out of the way! Loose hair is so hot!

Bangs are a good option, so are face framing layers. I wouldn't suggest mei mei bangs, though... :)

Argh, but the heat is making me so tempted, as do the pictures i see of cute short hair styles, like this:

http://leisure.hangzhou.com.cn/images/20080812/2008081330.jpg

I'm probably not going to cut off more than a few inches though, I don't know if I have the courage to go that short.

And what do you mean by mei mei bangs? Do you mean the asymmetrical bangs that some Chinese girls sport?

Stormphoenix
July 12th, 2010, 12:33 AM
Ditto on the "layers take forever to grow out". I wanted a change and now...waiting...waiting...waiting for the layers to grow out.

Double - super - duper check why it is you want the change. Make sure it is for YOU.

countryhopper
July 12th, 2010, 01:00 AM
And what do you mean by mei mei bangs? Do you mean the asymmetrical bangs that some Chinese girls sport?

No. I'm talking about the short little bangs about an inch long. "Little sister" bangs. I haven't really seen them on too many people anymore. That was probably more common a few years ago... The chunky sideswept ones everyone seems to be wearing now look nice! I'm worried about having bangs myself because with so much heat and humidity my bangs would glue them selves to my forehead until October!

janedoe0
July 14th, 2010, 12:12 AM
I just got a haircut today and followed your suggestions!

I told the hairdresser about how I felt in a funk and about how heavy and hot my hair was in the summer. She offered to just cut around my face and the top layers and leave the longest layers intact, but I really wanted my hair a little bit shorter. So she chopped off two inches and added face-framing layers, taking me from waist length to a little above waist.

Here's some pictures! It looks nicer since it was styled by my hairdresser, I'll probably never be able to make it look so nice at home:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=4620&pictureid=76724
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=4620&pictureid=76725
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=4620&pictureid=76726

Overall, I am happy with my decision. My hair is much less heavy and hot. But I'm still a little sad to not be at waist anymore. However, I'll probably be at waist in time for winter, when I don't have to worry about my hair being so hot anymore! I might either leave it at waist in winter and then cut it short to this length during the hotter months, or I might try my hairdresser's suggestion and just do short layers in the front and keep the bottom layers long.

Thanks again for everyone's suggestions!

janedoe0
July 14th, 2010, 12:16 AM
I just got a haircut today and followed your suggestions!

I told the hairdresser about how I felt in a funk and about how heavy and hot my hair was in the summer. She offered to just cut around my face and the top layers and leave the longest layers intact, but I really wanted my hair a little bit shorter. So she chopped off two inches and added face-framing layers, taking me from waist length to a little above waist.

Here's some pictures! It looks nicer since it was styled by my hairdresser, I'll probably never be able to make it look so nice at home:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=4620&pictureid=76724
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=4620&pictureid=76725
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=4620&pictureid=76726

Overall, I am happy with my decision. My hair is much less heavy and hot. But I'm still a little sad to not be at waist anymore. However, I'll probably be at waist in time for winter, when I don't have to worry about my hair being so hot anymore! I might either leave it at waist in winter and then cut it short to this length during the hotter months, or I might try my hairdresser's suggestion and just do short layers in the front and keep the bottom layers long.

Thanks again for everyone's suggestions!

Juneii
July 14th, 2010, 12:44 AM
cute cute cute! I was going to chime in and say that straight across bangs wouldn't work with your face as you have perfectly balanced facial features :)
I really like how your hairstylist cut your hair, it looks really cute! I am glad you like them too :)

janedoe0
July 14th, 2010, 01:14 AM
cute cute cute! I was going to chime in and say that straight across bangs wouldn't work with your face as you have perfectly balanced facial features :)
I really like how your hairstylist cut your hair, it looks really cute! I am glad you like them too :)

Thanks Juneii! I have to say, I was admiring your album before and I LOVE your hair. You look so beautiful with your bangs...I always wished that I could pull off hair like yours.