PDA

View Full Version : Hair Style Help for Thick Mid-Back Hair?

MathnSkating
July 8th, 2010, 12:10 PM
Alright! So, I have extremely thick hair. Most people don't believe me until I pull it out of the bun I usually have it in. Its not a very exciting bun, I put it in a ponytail and twist it into a... Well bun. It takes like 4 hair ties.

I love buns! I want to be able to get different types in, but I have trouble with them because of how much hair I have. The hair has to get around more of itself and leaves less "length" for wrapping because the length is spent on going around itself. The other style I like is the french braid (for some reason the way my hair lays in a french braid frames my face well) but because of the layers in my hair it doesn't always stay in the lower sections. So I usually braid then put it in a pony tail instead of the traditional braid. I tried putting it in a bun at this point but it does kind of weird stuff.

I googled some styles but I couldn't find anything. Things that were for "long" hair didn't work in my hair because its so thick and it somehow loses the length. I have friends with the same length hair as me and they do all sorts of things and my hair laughs and goes, ":laugh:, no."

Any bun ideas for crazy thick long-ish hair? Or other styles. Up-dos though, I hate leaving my hair down its too hot and gets caught in my backpack.

Thanks!

PS: I really hope this is in the right section... If not, I'm really sorry! :(

zeldagirl7491
July 8th, 2010, 12:37 PM
find torrin's page on youtube. She has thick hair and she makes hair tutorial videos that are easy to follow along with. :)

HintOfMint
July 8th, 2010, 12:48 PM
I'm a fan of French twists. Enjoy them now before too much length forces you to modify it into a log roll.

pepperminttea
July 8th, 2010, 01:21 PM
I find changing how you form the bun helps. While normally you twist a gathered ponytail, and just continue twist the length around the base until there's no length left and tuck, try twisting the beginning as normal, then bring the length up and round like a horseshoe shape, tucking the ends behind what you've just created, near the original base of the 'ponytail' - in the middle of the bun, rather than the outside. I don't know if that made sense, but it works quite well on braided buns for me.

This might help clarify what I mean. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=4043&pictureid=53770) See how it tucks behind itself in the middle rather than the outside?

Good luck. :flower:

gossamer
July 8th, 2010, 05:11 PM
Not gonna lie, I misread this thread title as something having to do with styling back-hair. Ick. TMI - My father's sometimes forms ringlets.

Best of luck with your beautiful,thick head hair - I know it seems annoying, but I'd just love for my hair to be thicker.

got2pals
July 8th, 2010, 05:36 PM
I knew a woman with really long hair, not super thick, who did her bun in 2 parts. She split a ponytail in 2 pieces and wrapped the first around and pinned it in. The second piece was left hanging down at this point. Then the second piece was then wrapped around the first. You could go in 2 directions, or wrap both in the same direction. The bun could be braided or just coiled strands. It makes a big, beautiful bun.
I knew a woman with incredibly thick, curly, very dark hair as long as yours who often wore the front half in a single braid -- when it got hot she would coil that part into a bun, then make a loose bun with the bottom half also. It looked more planned out than it sounds, it was very pretty. Might work well with your layers and curls.
Good luck!

irisheyes
July 8th, 2010, 06:38 PM
I also have trouble with buns now that my hair is reaching mid back. My new favorite style is a Gibson tuck. It was tricky at first, but with a little practice I can now do it fast. I find it very comfortable as well. My hair was getting too heavy for buns and gave me headaches. If I want to wear a bun, the only style I can tolerate is a sock bun. You can find excellent instructions for both styles on youtube

Lizard554
July 8th, 2010, 06:52 PM
Go to the articles section and do the Rose Bun for iii hair. It is great. I have really thick hair too, about your lenghth. It look nice, is easy to do and holds like a rock.

MissManda
July 8th, 2010, 06:56 PM
This thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=43020) is full of useful tips, so maybe you'll be able to find some more styles there.

I also recommend this tutorial (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=174). I have had quite a bit of success with both the rose bun and normal braided bun after reading it.

I also agree that you should go check out Torrin Paige's YouTube channel. She has a lot of very cute hairstyles and her instructions are very easy to understand. I can't begin to tell you how much her videos have helped me out.

Oh, and half-up styles will become your friend (if you like them, of course). You can do a half-up bun of your choice and then either bun or braid the rest of your hair. There are a lot of possibilities there.

Hope that helps!

GRU
July 8th, 2010, 07:15 PM
Hairsticks. LOVE them!

klcqtee
July 8th, 2010, 09:44 PM
Try an upsidedown french braid. Flip your head over, braid from your nape to your crown, then take the remaining length and bun it as usual. It adds a little interest and variation to a regular old bun. You could also try a french braid from the front, to your crown, and a french braid from your nape, to your crown (i.e. upsidedown), then bun.

Also, try twin buns. Either stacked, diagonally (it can be very romantic and cool if done subtly), or mouse ear style. Working with only half your hair will make your length go farther.

yellowchariot
July 8th, 2010, 11:32 PM
Try an upsidedown french braid. Flip your head over, braid from your nape to your crown, then take the remaining length and bun it as usual. It adds a little interest and variation to a regular old bun. You could also try a french braid from the front, to your crown, and a french braid from your nape, to your crown (i.e. upsidedown), then bun.

Also, try twin buns. Either stacked, diagonally (it can be very romantic and cool if done subtly), or mouse ear style. Working with only half your hair will make your length go farther.

^ I 2nd this! klcqtee's ideas are really great and creative :thumbsup: