PDA

View Full Version : Wanted to say thanks to LHC!

goodluckcharm
July 8th, 2010, 10:48 AM
Hi Everyone! I wanted to give a big thank you to everyone on the forum! If it weren't for all of you, I would have lost a lot of hair recently!

I'm not perfect with my hair. I'm a color junky, but thanks to the forum I've started going 4-6 months between highlighting jobs instead of getting them monthly. My hair is between APL and BSL, and boy did it take me awhile to get here.

Anyway, I'm finally getting happy with my length, and went to get my highlights done at a new stylist. She started begging to cut my hair and said that almost none of it was salvagable, it was so badly damaged. I didn't think this was the case- thanks to the forum I know my hair very well and while I might need a 1/2 inch trim, I knew I didn't need a big chop. The stylist wanted to cut me to above chin length. NOT what I wanted. Thanks to what I knew from LHC, I politely declined the hair cut and told her I didn't have time for one today, and could she please just do the highlighting around my face as I had requested.

So she started my highlights and then suggested that I get something called a Keratin treatment, since I didn't want a cut this treatment would "cure" my damage.
Now, I know thanks to LHC that even if my hair is damaged, nothing is going to cure it. I also had an inkling that a keratin treatment is a chemical straightening treatment. I have 3a curls, and love them. I asked if it would straighten my hair, the stylist said, no, it was just conditioning. Still, I was distrustful and told her no, I didn't want the treatment.

Thank goodness I did! I did research and yes, a keratin treatment would have straightened my hair, which I'm sure would have damaged it ten times more.

Before LHC I probably would have trusted the stylist and gotten all kinds of things done to my hair and ended up very unhappy. Thanks LHC for teaching me how to know my own hair and to know how to deal with pushy sales people! I'm pretty sure the stylist simply wanted me to spend more money at the salon. My hair would be in a scary place without all of you. :cheese:

Lianna
July 8th, 2010, 11:01 AM
Hey, good to hear you don't let other people do what they want to your hair! By the way, the treatment would have straighten you hair only if the stylist straighten while doing the process, which is more of a sealing with bad substances such as formaldehyde.

HintOfMint
July 8th, 2010, 12:50 PM
What a near miss! Good for you in refusing the Keratin treatment. Heck, good for you in making your own decisions instead of letting a stylist do it for you.

curlylocks85
July 8th, 2010, 01:55 PM
Awww thank you hun. I am with you, without this place I would be lost and hating my hair. Good for you in letting the stylist know exactly what you wanted. Sometimes listening to our inner guide (LHC) is just what we need.

I am thrilled everything is working out for you. I agree getting to APL and/or BSL is a long journey, but well worth all the effort. Congrats on your success!

Dragon
July 9th, 2010, 02:46 AM
So glad to here that :) What a near miss! Glad your more awear of stylists.

freckles
July 9th, 2010, 04:40 AM
I'm glad that you just got what you wanted :)

GRU
July 9th, 2010, 07:17 AM
So glad that you were able to use what you learned here!

I wonder how many more longhairs there would be in the world if stylists weren't so eager to push unnecessary cuts/treatments/products on their clients, all in an effort to extract more money from their wallets???

Good for you for standing up for yourself, too!