PDA

View Full Version : Biotin

Lianna
July 8th, 2010, 08:49 AM
Hey, everyone.

I've been reading how much the biotin intake can differ among people. I know isn't toxic even at higher doses and even some adverse reactions and all that, that's not really the matter, my problem is how much is really needed to fasten hair growth. My hair vitamins complex has about 300 mcg and I've been seeing people taking from 1000 to 20.000 mcg! The bottle also says 300 mcg is already 1000% the daily intake recommend. So if someone has an input on this...and also if you take biotin, how much did it work for you.:thumbsup:

crazy_margaret
July 8th, 2010, 09:23 AM
I dont really have any advice for you. I started taking biotin and got major headaches. Turns out the suplement I got was 2500mcg ! I am going to find a hair complex that has a lower dose and see how that goes. :)

CourtneyBee
July 8th, 2010, 09:59 AM
I take 5000mcg every morning. It's made a huge difference in the durability of my new growth. Im getting about 1"-1 1/2" per month. My nails reap the most benefits though, they're rock hard! :cheer:

Angeletti
July 8th, 2010, 10:05 AM
I take 2000mcg per day and so far no acne or bad side effects like others have reported. I've only been taking it for about three weeks so I will have to report back when I find out if it's really doing anything for my length

chipzahoy
July 8th, 2010, 10:08 AM
I have been taking the kind that is 5000 mcg but it's given me some acne so I need to lower the dose next time I buy any, if ever.

Lianna
July 8th, 2010, 10:13 AM
I have been taking the kind that is 5000 mcg but it's given me some acne so I need to lower the dose next time I buy any, if ever.

You need more b complex vitamins, then you won't have acne from biotin intake.

brunetka
July 8th, 2010, 10:13 AM
I've been taking 5000mcg daily off-and-on for about 3 years now for nail growth. I've never gotten acne from it, but I'm not really prone to break-outs to begin with.

StarryNight
July 8th, 2010, 01:54 PM
I take 2000mcg daily, and have neither bad, nor good results. It really has done nothing for my hair, although my nails have grown slightly faster. :/

Crackaleen
July 8th, 2010, 02:38 PM
I've been taking 1000mcg for not quite a year now. I honestly haven't noticed much difference in my hair or nails, but I they weren't really brittle or damaged to begin with. I also think this might be a case where it can take a long time to see the effects.

Also, I've noticed no difference with regard to acne. I've had issues with acne long before I ever started taking biotin though, and if anything my skin has improved over the last year (though I fully attribute that to the prescription skin creams I'm on). YMMV.

MissySue
July 8th, 2010, 02:49 PM
About a week ago I started taking 5mg. I'm starting by taking one every other day in the hopes of letting my body get used to it and avoid the acne that some other people have had. After another week I'll start taking one each day. To soon to tell if it will speed up growth yet, I'll have to wait and see.

alwayssmiling
July 8th, 2010, 02:52 PM
I get headaches with biotin - I take 2000mcg per day, but stop when the headaches start.

ochikita
July 8th, 2010, 04:04 PM
My doctor recommended between 2,000 and 5,000 mcg safely to help with some excessive hair loss. I am thinking not all of it gets absorbed, which may be the reason for such high amounts in comparison to daily value recommendations. also, the daily value recommendations are terribly low for things like vitamin d and have not been updated by the gov. for a very long time.....

*Aoife*
July 8th, 2010, 04:11 PM
I can't actually remember how much I'm taking right now. But I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced "tummy upsets" since they started taking it. I'm taking it less than a minute before I eat breakfast.

CrisDee
July 8th, 2010, 04:15 PM
I've been taking 5,000 mcg/day since about the first of the year. Haven't had any problems like headaches or stomach upset. I've had slightly faster hair growth, but the biggest benefit has been to my nails - I've had extremely thin, peeling nails all my life, and now, for the first time, I have nice long nails that hardly ever break! :cheer:

Lianna
July 8th, 2010, 11:43 PM
My doctor recommended between 2,000 and 5,000 mcg safely to help with some excessive hair loss. I am thinking not all of it gets absorbed, which may be the reason for such high amounts in comparison to daily value recommendations. also, the daily value recommendations are terribly low for things like vitamin d and have not been updated by the gov. for a very long time.....

Like I said before, I know it's safe to take higher amounts, I wonder if I take enough with these vitamins I bought. Even if the recommendations are terribly low, it's already 1000% what they recommend.