PDA

View Full Version : Hydrolized silk?

getoffmyskittle
July 8th, 2010, 06:39 AM
After a disastrous first few weeks in the UK, I've picked up the new Herbal Essences conditioner, "Beautiful Ends" or something like that. My hair loves it and after one wash has gone back to normal (phew), but it has an ingredient that I'm curious about -- hydrolized silk. What is this? Is it a protein? I Googled it but am getting hits for "hydrolized silk protein," which my ingredients list does not state. If it's not protein, what does it do?

Thanks. :D

GlassEyes
July 8th, 2010, 06:49 AM
It's protein, if I remember correctly. Silk protein, specifically, that's been hydrolized.

The protein part is implied, I think, so they don't put it in. Or that's a possible explanation, anyway. :shrug:

The way it works is sort of ilke cones, only it repairs minor imperfections on the surface of the hair, at least for a short period of time, like filler. But instead of cones, hair is made up of protein, so it's not something you need to cleanse out. I'm a tiny bit iffy on the actual dynamics of it however.

Loviatar
July 8th, 2010, 08:08 AM
What GlassEyes said. My hair likes it a lot.

TrudieCat
July 8th, 2010, 08:15 AM
Thanks for the question & info, all! I have been wondering about this too - this ingredient is in the HE Color Me Happy line in the states, which I just started using.

GRU
July 8th, 2010, 09:59 AM
I read somewhere recently that hydrolized <anything> in the ingredient list signifies a protein.

Beatnik Guy
July 8th, 2010, 03:55 PM
After a disastrous first few weeks in the UK, I've picked up the new Herbal Essences conditioner, "Beautiful Ends" or something like that. My hair loves it and after one wash has gone back to normal (phew)

Phew, indeed. (Although it didn't look disasterous to me a couple of weeks ago. :wink:)

BunnyBee
July 8th, 2010, 06:11 PM
I read somewhere recently that hydrolized <anything> in the ingredient list signifies a protein.
Yep, pretty sure that's in the articles section :)

Does this condish have cones?
Glad your hair is happy again :D

getoffmyskittle
July 9th, 2010, 03:39 PM
Thanks, everyone!

Yeah, Beatnik Guy, it may not have looked totally disastrous, but it felt like it -- and it was getting increasingly cotton-candy-like, and was starting to break off a bit. :scared:

BunnyBee, yes, it has cones.

Beatnik Guy
July 9th, 2010, 04:06 PM
Yeah, Beatnik Guy, it may not have looked totally disastrous, but it felt like it -- and it was getting increasingly cotton-candy-like, and was starting to break off a bit. :scared:

Well, in that case, :cheese: about the successful product identification.

As it was less than optimal, I wonder if I should see the hair again? :ponder:
;)