PDA

View Full Version : The "V"

MissMaryMac
July 8th, 2010, 06:06 AM
So I am getting my hair cut tomorrow and I am hoping to get some opinions from some of you all. I have looked at soooo many pictures and I seem to always like the "V" . I don't know if I am even describing it correctly. I like the layers in the front but basically still one long layer in the back....:confused: Those of you who have/had this style, what do you like/dislike about it? Thanks in advance!!:)

FrannyG
July 8th, 2010, 06:20 AM
Could you direct us to a photo of what you're describing? Usually a v-shape is just that, pointed at the center of the back in a v.

It sounds more like you're talking about a u-shape, or a cut where the majority is one length, but you have some face framing layers.

Oskimosa
July 8th, 2010, 06:28 AM
I'm pretty sure my hemline normally falls in a V. I think it looks pretty when down, but it is a huge pain if you like doing updos. I don't do them often, so it's the best option for me. You just have to assess what your needs are. People who do alot of updos seem to prefer blunt or a soft U shape.

beez1717
July 8th, 2010, 06:30 AM
I think she means that the end of her hair comes to a v shape. I hope I'm right and this helps.

MissMaryMac
July 8th, 2010, 06:40 AM
I'm sorry- I am terrible at describing things! What I meant by the "V" is when looking at the back of someone's hair, the hemline is a "v". It looks really nice to me, but I know it is a big change. I wear my hair in a bun 98% of the time, but I want to be able to wear it down more. When I wear it down, it just gets in the way.

jasper
July 8th, 2010, 07:24 AM
2006 was my last big cut and at that time I had an angle cut with the shortest being shoulder length and the longest being BSL probably. I always wore my hair down or in a ponytail at that length. I liked it at the time.

I have bangs and a the remains of that V hemline now, though I am not crazy about the V. I usually wish for more volume and the V seems to cut into volume, if you know what I mean. It makes the end of braid taper too much.

For some updos, the shorter sides fall out, but that's probably a tradeoff with other updos where the tail is easier to tuck away.

Cleopatra18
July 8th, 2010, 07:37 AM
I agree that the V shape will decrease the volume,my ends are so thin thanks to that,also braids will be horrible,your ends will stick out of everywhere and the bottom part will be extremly thin compared to the top.
you should also note that if you happen to go into a shedding period in the future,there is a posibilty that your ends will be extremly see through and you'll have to cut it.It happened to me.

TrudieCat
July 8th, 2010, 08:28 AM
I second what was said about the potential for lack of volume. Also, if you decide to get this cut make sure you are very clear with your stylist exactly how short you want the cut to be in the front, as this will determine how long your hair appears from the front/sides.

My last hair cut, months ago, was a "V" cut with lots of layers. It's what I'd asked for, but I wasn't clear about just how many layers I wanted, how deep a "V" I wanted, and how short the layers could be. The stylist cut a major V shape into the hemline, so that only the very middle of the back of my hemline retained my former length. But my hair looked much shorter than its longest point because of how thin the ends were and where they were. Those ends were so thin and straggly looking that I ended up having my BF cut the point of the "V" off, effectively shortening my hair by about 3 inches in the back. But the "look" of my length was exactly the same, since the front and the sides were so short - does that make sense?

As always, it's good to be super clear about what you want. :)

Angeletti
July 8th, 2010, 08:39 AM
I've had this style for a while now due to not trimming for a while and I've never had issues with updos, braids, or anything like that. The only thing I complain about is the bottom of my hemline being a little thin, but thats because I haven't trimmed enough so I'm sure you wouldn't have that issue if you were cutting your hair into a v shaped hemline

Jenw777
July 8th, 2010, 08:54 AM
My hair has the "V", it grows that way no matter how I cut it. My hairs just past my BS and the V starts just past my shoulders. Someone with longer hair wouldn't have a problem with it, but as for me I always get it in my food, eyes, mouth, etc. It's everywhere and hard to pull back.

FrannyG
July 8th, 2010, 09:11 AM
I think v-shapes are very pretty, and in some ways make certain updos a bit easier that a really straight-across hemline.

If you do go with a v-shape, which I have in the past (I recently trimmed off the v, and made it into a u), you will notice that your braids have a lot of taper.

As long as you know that, and if a taper is okay with you, then I say go for it.

I would start with a mild v if I were you. You can always cut it into a deeper v, if you feel like it. You don't lose the length in the centre back if you decide to make the v deeper.

Let us know what you decide, and then of course, we want photos! :)

MissMaryMac
July 8th, 2010, 02:45 PM
Thank you everyone for all your advice! Exactly the kind of things I needed to know- I will definitely update- I still don't know how to put pictures in posts...:o... or if I am even able to. If I can't figure it out I will put some in my album! I'm getting excited!! Thank you again!!:)

ravenreed
July 8th, 2010, 03:06 PM
My hair is usually in a V because of my layers. I love the movement when my hair is down. If the V is too severe, it can make braiding more difficult, but this last time I had shorter layers put in and I don't notice them much. I don't braid right to the ends anyway as I like a long tassel. Also, updo's are still fine except for things like the chignon that I tried for the hairstyle of the month. I had to use a few bobby pins to catch the wispies, but it wasn't difficult.

jasper
July 8th, 2010, 03:10 PM
:cool: I just looked at you albums. Your hair is great! I can see braid taper is no issue in your case and the V will probably make no difference in the nice volume you have. Happy decision making. I think you can't go wrong.

spidermom
July 8th, 2010, 03:35 PM
Following jasper's lead, I looked at your album, too. You have plenty of thickness to support the V, I think. It will probably feel quite a bit lighter (in weight). I started out at LHC thinking that the only hem I liked was straight-across, blunt cut. Now I'm very partial to the U-hem. I haven't tried fairy tale ends or the V yet, but I probably will before I'm all done with the long hair thing.

JenniferNoel
July 8th, 2010, 04:19 PM
I've always had a slight V no matter what (actually, a fork, I have a strand of slow growing hair towards the back middle), and since I'm not an up-do person I haven't experienced much trouble. The only obstacle is the odd lengths sticking out in braids, but a little oil helps sort out everything. Your hair looks like it would be great in a V, and plus it's my personal favorite hemline of them all.

Caldonia Sun
July 8th, 2010, 04:40 PM
I had a deep v years ago and loved it. My hair laid so nicely with that cut.

Fog
July 8th, 2010, 04:44 PM
I thought this thread was going to be about those grooves at the hips of very muscly dudes. :(

Sammich
July 8th, 2010, 04:44 PM
The V is perfect for down dos and braids that have a long tassle, alot of movement and beautiful fairy-like! It's a very fun style, I have quite a deep V, it makes my hair look shorter at the back in my opinion, I think with longer hair it's better. :)
My favourite would be the V, and then the U. ^_^

DakarNick
July 8th, 2010, 05:14 PM
Let us know how it turns out!

restourceful
July 8th, 2010, 05:33 PM
Mine has kinda been deep U to V for a while with lots and lots of layers. Since coming to LHC I've wanted to be able to do all the beautiful buns and I'm just now beginning to be able to do some. My shortest layers are shoulder length so I still get stickie-outies in most buns. If you V, just make sure you're shortest lengths will still allow you to do all the updos you like. BTW, I think your hair is gorgeous! :agape:

MissMaryMac
July 9th, 2010, 12:45 AM
I thought this thread was going to be about those grooves at the hips of very muscly dudes. :(

LOL! Sorry to disappoint! :D

MissMaryMac
July 9th, 2010, 12:48 AM
Mine has kinda been deep U to V for a while with lots and lots of layers. Since coming to LHC I've wanted to be able to do all the beautiful buns and I'm just now beginning to be able to do some. My shortest layers are shoulder length so I still get stickie-outies in most buns. If you V, just make sure you're shortest lengths will still allow you to do all the updos you like. BTW, I think your hair is gorgeous! :agape:

Thank you! I have fallen into a bun routine that is making me crazy. My hair is just too long for me to wear down. (comfortably)

MissMaryMac
July 9th, 2010, 10:48 AM
It's done! I was going to wait until later to update, since I don't have time to post pictures right now- but I'm so excited I just wanted to share now. :D I love the haircut- I know I did not do a great job telling the girl what I wanted- especially since there is a slight language barrier. Somehow she managed to cut my hair exactly how I wanted it. I don't think it is a V, rather a U. Pictures coming soon!!:cheese:

Bunnyhare
July 9th, 2010, 11:12 AM
It is very hard to do updos with this type of cut, and braids are a forget it. I have been trying to grow this cut out for over a year..if you leave your hair down all the time it will look lovely and flowing. If you like it up...i would think about it more. it also decreases volume, as already mentioned. I HATE my layers. it was a fun cut for about 2 days, then i was SO mad that i did it!

restourceful
July 9th, 2010, 11:38 AM
I'm so glad you like it, MissMaryMac! :happydance: I can't wait to see pictures.

MissMaryMac
July 9th, 2010, 01:11 PM
As promised- a photo. I finally figured out how to put a picture in a post but every time I try to put more than one the photos get bigger and bigger. I hope this one is ok. My hair is still a bit damp and very frizzy due to the humid weather today.

http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr161/missmarymac_2008/100_9162.jpg

ETA- if you are interested in a before photo, there is one from June in my album! :-)

restourceful
July 9th, 2010, 02:06 PM
It looks beautiful! :cheer: You have such fantastically shiny hair and I love your little bits of curls and wurls. :inlove:

spidermom
July 9th, 2010, 02:21 PM
Ah - a very nice U. Well done!

jasper
July 9th, 2010, 02:27 PM
Hmm. Your hair has gone from amazing to . . . amazing!

little_acorn
July 9th, 2010, 03:27 PM
looks amazing :D