PDA

View Full Version : A Head of Hair That Needs Nothing At All?

Dani
July 8th, 2010, 04:42 AM
Except occasional combing, a bit of oiling on the ends?

I just wrote to a friend on here and ended up talking about my dd's hair, and wanted to post about it, too, since I've been meaning to for months.

Here it is, c/p... Our hair is looking nice, though. I've taught her the ways of LHC. Actually, she doesn't have to do a thing with her hair! It is not fair, says I. Last year around September, when she was 3, she stopped wanting me to wash her hair in any way (I'd usually do CO or a little shampoo and conditioner once a week or so), and so I didn't, and she'd just rinse her hair a bit in the shower or bath. Now it's been *counting* 10 months!! 10 months of doing Nothing to her hair, no washing of any sort, not even once. We comb her hair out a couple times a week (her hair's a couple inches past apl, I guess), and I put a tiny amount of jojoba or coconut oil on the ends every couple weeks, and that's it. Her scalp has literally not been touched for almost a year! The only thing that ever happens to her hair, is the ends get wet in the bath, or she puts a lot of her hair back into the water, but that's like once every week or so (she usually wants her hair up, and doesn't like it getting wet). It's been completely fine, and it blows my mind... If she had any issues of any sort with her hair or scalp I would've done something, but apparently her head just does its own thing, and I really, really wish I could do the same. Oh, that would be so nice, and so easy. I do WO a lot, but I guess just being an adult, it's different. I wonder how long her head will be fine doing this... I thought this summer in Va might change it a bit, 'cause she hasn't gone through a summer with no washing yet, but so far her head's been exactly the same, even with extremely hot temperatures. Maybe she'll keep on going till she becomes a teenager. Anyway, thanks for letting me babble about it. Only LHC folks would understand. I just think it's so neat that her head takes care of itself, very well! She has medium thickness, fine, wurly hair, btw. I've done WO on and off, and just used whatever my hair feels like it needs, I guess. But I really wish I could have a non-routine, too! I've thought about NW/SO, but it's a whole big thing too, what with the scritching, etc. And I just don't want to have to do anything. Oh well. Maybe I'll figure something out. I've been wanting to post about this on a forum, to see if anyone else's hair and head is like this, and maybe I'll just copy this and post my babblings about it. ;)

Is anyone's else's head like this, or their kids' heads? I've been wondering if there was anyone else out there like this for a long time now! Thanks for reading. :)

vanity_acefake
July 8th, 2010, 05:18 AM
I have a 7 year old daughter who is a bit of a tom boy and if i didn't shampoo and condition her hair it would be sticky, tangled, snarly and horrible. You can only imagine what she gets in her hair - sweets, leaves, twigs and half the time her tea!

Dani
July 8th, 2010, 06:08 AM
I have a 7 year old daughter who is a bit of a tom boy and if i didn't shampoo and condition her hair it would be sticky, tangled, snarly and horrible. You can only imagine what she gets in her hair - sweets, leaves, twigs and half the time her tea!

Heh, my girl is the same way (though she's only 4, and not at the 7 year old tomboy level yet.. methinks tomboyism (sure it's a word) is genetic, too)), but she loves to wear her hair down most of the time, and food and twigs get in it every day. If it's sticky foodstuffs or paint I just rinse off that little section of hair in the bath. Thanks for reminding me that she Will get older and will most likely need something to wash her noggin at some point soon, lol. :D

Drynwhyl
July 8th, 2010, 06:10 AM
Children's hair is usually like that. It's different from adult's hair. It kinda conditions itself (not really, but it doesn't need additional conditioning to be soft), and the glands on their scalp that produce oil are not that active (this will change when she hits puberty though)
I remember when I was a kid, didn't wash my hair for a month at least.

You should wash it though, there's other things that make hair dirty besides body oils. (dirt, dust etc, and children are active and play outside a lot!)

Anje
July 8th, 2010, 06:21 AM
Wow, that's young to convert to SO! I imagine as long as you brush it out well and it doesn't look or smell bad, she'll be fine. I'd make sure her scalp gets some manipulation, even if it's just brushing, to make sure whatever oils and dead skin are present come off of it. Gotta wash it when she gets it sticky, I suppose, but that's another issue.

Tiina
July 8th, 2010, 06:58 AM
I am completely certain that if Mother Nature hadn't invented puberty we'd all be much happier and productfree to this day. :rolleyes:

Glands of all kinds work rather differently in children. During teenagehood it all goes crazy and people give up and in to using chemicals and stuff, becoming dependant on them until their skin can no longer function normally without whilst in natural development the overworking glands would probably normalise and be as unneedy as children's.

littlenvy
July 8th, 2010, 07:19 AM
*nods head*
Its the kids hair thing. My son is 7 and does water wash only. And it looks healthy and beautiful. No smell either so I let him do it.
It all started at 6 years old with his "I'll do it MYSELF!" stage. He began with a little bit of shampoo but soon I noticed that the bottle was full for months, when I asked him he said that he didn't like it so he didn't use it.
Works for him so its all good. :)

countryhopper
July 8th, 2010, 07:29 AM
I don't have any kids, but when I do I will try WO on their hair. I don't see a need to use harsh chemicals to clean with if their hair isn't really dirty.

The fewer chemicals, the better, I say!

I myself haven't used shampoo or condish for 8 months now. I'm trying to space out my baking soda washes with WO rinses, which is working well. Maybe I will eventually do WO exclusively, but not NW/SO. It's not for me. :)

freckles
July 8th, 2010, 07:32 AM
I agree with everyone else who says this will probably change when she hits puberty, but if she likes it, enjoy it while you can! If it ain't broke, don't fix it :)