PDA

View Full Version : Cloche hat with long hair?

HollowHannah
July 8th, 2010, 04:26 AM
I've returned after a loooong hiatus. The first year of uni was so hectic I had time for nothing but coursework. Anyway, recently I've fallen in love with cloche hats but my hair is just past tailbone and I know they're supposed to be worn with cropped hair. I was condering a plait on either side but I wasn't sure it would look right.

Any of you girls (or boys) tried to wear a cloche with long hair and what styles did you come up with? I'd also love to hear about your obession with hats in general. There's nothing better than a good hat.

freckles
July 8th, 2010, 04:41 AM
I hat to google what you meant, but wow, they're adorable! I think they do look great when you can't see (much) hair poking out of them, so maybe you should try an updo that will fit inside. A bun might be difficult to fit in, but maybe something more 'flat' like a crown braid?

pepperminttea
July 8th, 2010, 05:37 AM
Could you try a fake bob (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdGtde69Lx4)?

Tangerine
July 8th, 2010, 05:53 AM
Oh I'll be watching this thread! I have a cloche hat (although I had no idea that's its name :o ) I bought centuries ago when I sported a bleach-blonde pob-like cut...
My kids like to play around with it now, but I would love to wear it more come Autumn / Winter time.

Maybe simply a long plait down your back or lying over your shoulder would be cute?

alwayssmiling
July 8th, 2010, 06:19 AM
I want this soooo badly.

http://www.asos.com/Helene-Berman/Helene-Berman-Sequin-Cloche-Hat/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=1029803&utm_source=google_product_search&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=google_product_search

and this one

http://www.hatsandcaps.co.uk/cid/RSP1FHFRJ0XQ13QWHPTN5PLR3KI7Z43B/Scala-Hats-Cloche-with-Velvet-Band-P123410/

jane53
July 8th, 2010, 06:26 AM
Here's a site with a variety of cloche worn with long-ish hair.

http://www.bonton.com/product/handbags+%26+accessories/hats/august+hats+classic+braid+cloche+hat.do (http://www.bonton.com/product/handbags+%26+accessories/hats/august+hats+classic+braid+cloche+hat.do)

Oskimosa
July 8th, 2010, 06:30 AM
Couldn't you wear it cocked to the side with a very low side bun? I think it'd be lovely!

sherigayle
July 8th, 2010, 06:42 AM
Urban Outfitters has a lot of styles of hats shown with long hair. http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban/catalog/category.jsp?popId=WOMENS&navAction=poppushpush&isSortBy=true&navCount=182&pushId=WOMENS_ACCESSORIES&id=W_ACC_HATS

Willheit
July 8th, 2010, 06:45 AM
I have several cloche hats. I usually braid my hair over my sholder when I wear them, just as you suggested.

Tiina
July 8th, 2010, 07:12 AM
Personally, I think there is nothing wrong with wearing long loose hair and a cloche hat, in fact it would look quite nice with your hair. However, I've found that chignon-type buns at the nape of the neck are most comfortable with hats and braids work quite well too. If you want to wear your hair under the hat, then looser and flatter styles are most comfortable, although the loose styles might not look quite the same after you remove the hat. :p

One thing to be wary of is rigid do's under felt/wool hats in rainy weather. I've ruined a perfectly fine hat that way. It looked like the hat itself had a bun afterwards. :(

Will never forget my umbrella again. Never.

MonaMayfair
July 8th, 2010, 07:44 AM
I love cloches, it's the style of hat that suits me best. I do think they look BEST with bobs, but can still look fine with longer hair. I'm growing my hair out from a 1920s bob (it's just past my shoulders now, after a year of no cutting) but one nice thing about it being short was the way some of my hats looked better (I've got dozens of hats)
I like the low bun idea, though an authentic 20's style cloche might be hard to wear, you'd have to squash the bun underneath or it would push the brim up.

countryhopper
July 8th, 2010, 07:51 AM
Oh, wow! I googled some photos of these hats and they are GORGEOUS! maybe even nice enough to reform a no-hat-wearer liike me :D

Jenw777
July 8th, 2010, 07:53 AM
I have an obsession with hats too. I think it would look cute with a low bun or just down.

RedStripe
July 8th, 2010, 10:14 AM
I'm a devoted Hat Lady and I'm often dealing with a hat vs. hair dilemma. I don't have any cloches right now although I love them, but I think the braid idea sounds really cute. I often wear a single braid with some of my hats.

BTW, for those of you previously unfamiliar with cloche hats: "Cloche" is the French word for bell, so think of it as a hat that is somewhat bell-shaped.

rockkcor
July 8th, 2010, 10:20 AM
Cowboy hat is my favorite! :)
Or middle age helmet - but not so nice for modern life :D

princessp
July 8th, 2010, 11:07 AM
I love hats too. A low bun in the back works well for a cloche.

countryhopper
July 10th, 2010, 08:12 AM
What is the correct pronunciation of "cloche"?

white line
July 10th, 2010, 08:20 AM
I love hats too. I would personally wear a cloche hat with a single side braid.

eternallyverdan
July 10th, 2010, 11:35 AM
What is the correct pronunciation of "cloche"?

Like "close", but with a -sh sound in place of the -s.

cuddledumplin
July 10th, 2010, 02:08 PM
I love hats, and I often wear a cloche hat with my hair loose.

countryhopper
July 11th, 2010, 08:28 AM
Like "close", but with a -sh sound in place of the -s.

Ah, ok! Thanks! I'm on the lookout for a cute one for the fall/winter!

HintOfMint
July 11th, 2010, 09:13 PM
I love a cloche hat with thick spiral curls, like rag curls.

rozerioe
February 10th, 2022, 02:21 AM
Urban Outfitters has a lot of styles of hats shown with long hair. http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban/catalog/category.jsp?popId=WOMENS&navAction=poppushpush&isSortBy=true&navCount=182&pushId=WOMENS_ACCESSORIES&id=W_ACC_HATS

I have long hair, I faced so many problems when I bought hats from the other website I was not satisfied at all then I was ordered through NOPE, and yes they have a lot of variety I'm happy to see then I bought different types of hats, and they are so comfortable and perfect for my long hairs, and they are on discount, also yeah I'm happy finally.

Flittingsis
February 11th, 2022, 07:54 AM
I love the idea of cloche hats, but even when I had my bob haircut I didn't think they suited me. I might make one and try it now that my hair is MBL... and try some of these suggestions. I love a side, wrapping, braid into a bun and I think that would look good under a cloche and out of it again!

barnet_fair
February 11th, 2022, 03:59 PM
I love straw boaters in the summer with loose hair. Baseball caps with ponytails. However, my most frequently worn hat is a waxed cotton rain hat, with my plait tucked fetchingly into my raincoat.

Funnily enough, a cloche hat was one of the reasons I first grew my hair longer than a bob, so the hat wouldn't cover all of it. I no longer have that hat but would wear it with a side plait these days. Flittingsis, that's so cool that you're considering making a cloche hat! What materials would you use?

Flittingsis
February 14th, 2022, 04:10 AM
barnet_fair I crochet so I would make it out of yarn; probably a wool mix yarn. :)
There are lots of free patterns available out there.