PDA

View Full Version : Green hair!

zainab
July 8th, 2010, 12:16 AM
I henna'd my hair a long time ago, and apparently after all this time the henna had remained on some parts of it. I went to a salon today to get highlights and when the hairdresser bleached segments of my hair to prepare it for the highlights, the parts where the henna had remained turned out green. She tried to recolor it to deal with the green, but without much success. So I'm sitting here right now with awesome highlights on the top of my head, and greenish bits below my ears, and it looks horrendous. I'm supposed to go back tomorrow so that she can try again, but it's an average quality salon and I'm afraid of my hair getting more damaged.

Is it even possible to get the green out? Are my only choices right now getting a drastic hair cut or finding a really pricey salon to fix the green?

UltraBella
July 8th, 2010, 12:51 AM
Did you tell the hairdresser you had henna applied to your hair in the past ? Most hair dressers do not know much about henna, and any salon - pricey or not- is going to use bleach to achieve your highlights. So I am not sure this would have been avoided at an expensive salon, and I am not sure an expensive salon will have a "fix" for you either. You have two main components when it comes to hair color at a salon, any salon - bleach and hydrogen peroxide. Neither mesh well with henna.
I own two beautiful salons. If you came in and revealed that you had used henna in the past, my stylist would have had to proceed cautiously with a strand test first, to see what outcome was expected and what problems might arise. If you came in for highlights and did not share that you had applied henna in the past, you would have the exact issue you are currently dealing with.
I would be worried that any further chemical processing over the hennaed area may ruin your hair.

Dragon
July 8th, 2010, 02:09 AM
Sorry to hear about that. I cant give any advice as dont no much about henna but hope you can get rid of the green.

dropinthebucket
July 8th, 2010, 02:19 AM
It's very odd that your henna turned green with the bleach. That doesn't usually happen - henna can be quite successfully bleached, unless you a) did not use pure BAQ henna - did you use a box that may have contained other ingredients, including metallic salts? (green is often a result of an impure henna product that contains something else) or b) your "henna" actually also contained indigo - again, if you used a box product, instead of pure BAQ henna powder, the box may have contained some indigo. Indigo absolutely, definitely, without a doubt, and much to the chagrin of many an indigo user who has tried it, will turn GREEN when bleached.

zainab
July 8th, 2010, 01:27 PM
dropinthebucket, I used Lush's henna, which I think does contain indigo.

UltraBella, I did tell the hairdresser I had used henna before, but since the henna shade I had used was the same shade as my natural hair color, it didn't LOOK like any henna remained in my hair, but I guess it did.

Ugh. Really not sure what to do. Suggestions anyone? Or has anyone had a similar experience? What if I just forget about fixing the highlights out, and get it all died back to my natural hair color (dark brown)?

serious
July 8th, 2010, 01:44 PM
I wouldn't use chemical dye on the bleached indigoed hair, it might turn out even worse. Maybe henna could help, red + green= brown, just make sure that the henna is pure, BAQ henna.