PDA

View Full Version : Do I Need Moisture or Protein?

gothiccat
July 7th, 2010, 07:34 PM
I really HAVE tried to find the answer by searching the forums but everything I found just made it still unclear :( I don't know whether my hair needs moisture or protein. I just washed and rewashed my hair with a clarifying shampoo and am trying to figure out what it needs. I've used cones almost all my life and for the most part my hair likes them but the ends still feel dry and if I use oils, etc they just feel crunchy. The back length also tends to frizz without something heavy on it to smooth it down. I've permed my hair in the past and used chemical dyes for years until switching to henna a year ago which has helped tremendously but it's still not "quite there". It's bra-strap length so I suppose the ends could be residual damage but all of it soaks up any type of moisture like a sponge so I'm thinking it could need moisture too. When I look in the articles for trouble-shooting what type it says:

"If your hair seems "bunched up", crunchy dry, brittle, snappy and you couldn't run a wide tooth comb through it to save your life, chances are your hair has had too much protein. In this case, you need moisture. (lots of it!). If your hair seems "wadded" wirey, fragile and the ends seem transparent, and the strands themselves seem rough, you likely need protein. Try a protein pack and then moisture afterward to finish."

Honestly it feels like both. I want to try going no cones because I want to correct what's wrong not hide it :(

Dragon
July 7th, 2010, 07:37 PM
Mabe try both and see what works. I use a deep conditioning shampoo and conditioner and they both contain protein. Maybe one like that might help.

Anje
July 7th, 2010, 07:50 PM
How much does your hair stretch when it's wet? Super-stretchy hair tends to need protein, while snappy hair definitely needs moisture.

Personally, I'd say when in doubt, start with some serious moisture. (I'm a huge fan of the SMT for moisture!) If your hair feels worse or mushy after the SMT, it's time to go looking for a good protein treatment.