PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for doctoring weak conditioner

HintOfMint
July 7th, 2010, 04:34 PM
Well, my Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition Conditioner ran out, and while I'm tempted to get another bottle because it is the holy grail of conditioners, I started the "use up your stash" challenge.
I have 5 bottles of V05 Vanilla Mint Tea clarifying conditioner. It's good for the first leg of a CWC, but it doesn't have a lot of conditioning power compared to the Garnier stuff.

So I'm toying with some ideas to bulk up my V05 without spending money.
I have a tube of the Neutrogena Norwegian Formula hand cream which has a ton of glycerin (here is the ingredient list: Purified Water, Glycerin, Cetearyl Alcohol, Stearic Acid, Sodium Cetearyl Sulfate, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Dilauryl Thiodipropionate, Sodium Sulfate) Would it be possible to mix that with the conditioner?
I have honey, aloe, olive oil, jojoba oil and coconut oil.
Any thoughts?

teela1978
July 7th, 2010, 04:41 PM
Conditioner, aloe, and honey make an SMT, one of this site's moisturizing treatments :) Although a lot of people seem to be adding in oil as well these days. You could go pretty crazy. I'd leave out the hand cream myself.

HairColoredHair
July 7th, 2010, 04:50 PM
I'd do conditioner and honey, myself. :)

HintOfMint
July 7th, 2010, 04:53 PM
Could I make an SMT in bulk and keep it in the shower like a regular bottle of conditioner, or do I need to do it in batches to avoid moldy/spoiled product?

teela1978
July 7th, 2010, 05:01 PM
I'd avoid batches. There should be an article somewhere on how to do it. I think it would tend to separate in a big batch.

Cleopatra18
July 7th, 2010, 05:05 PM
I have seen alot of people fill up half their conditioner bottle with honey and the other half with conditioner,they say it works really well.
Olive and coconut oils are one of the best conditioning oils out there,i really think you can make a nice mix of these things.
I think it's better if you mix small amounts of stuff at first to see how they work with your hair,and adjust your mixture accordingly.If you find it makes your hair feel good,then make it in bulk.I dont think natural honey spoils but im no expert.
I dont think you should add the cream,because i think the honey and aloe do pretty much the same job of the glycerin.

ravenreed
July 7th, 2010, 05:08 PM
I made too large a batch of SMT once, and stored the excess in my shower for a few weeks. It went bad pretty quickly! I would not do bulk.

Could I make an SMT in bulk and keep it in the shower like a regular bottle of conditioner, or do I need to do it in batches to avoid moldy/spoiled product?

Cinnamon Hair
July 7th, 2010, 05:21 PM
When my conditioner is too runny I will add honey to help it spread better. Just pour conditioner in your open hand, pour some honey on top and mix with your finger, then apply. I keep a honey bottle in the shower. :D

Anje
July 7th, 2010, 06:20 PM
I'm cheap -- I use corn syrup instead of honey to beef up my condish a bit. Seems to work just as well, and I get to keep the yummy stuff for eating.

melikai
July 7th, 2010, 07:30 PM
I think honey is somewhat anti-bacterial, so directly adding that to your conditioner bottle would probably be fine, but oils especially could spoil and go rancid in the heat.

Kristin
July 7th, 2010, 07:58 PM
I was going to say honey as well.

I completely forgot about the Use Up Your Stash Challenge. And I was going to buy some shampoo when I vowed not to as part of that challenge. Guess it's for the best as I never use it, anyway.:p