PDA

View Full Version : Milk?

Quirky
July 7th, 2010, 03:39 PM
Both my mother and step-mother have beautiful, healthy classic length hair. Both of them drink a lot of milk. I don't think it has to do with the fat content as my mother drinks whole and my step-mother drinks skim.

Do you think this is a coincidence? My hair always grew nicely when I was a kid and back then, I did drink a lot of milk.

What do you think?

emsahib
July 7th, 2010, 03:44 PM
I hope not I don't like the taste of milk and only sometimes have it in tea

jane53
July 7th, 2010, 03:47 PM
I love milk and drink skim milk. But I don't think this influences my hair.

ibleedlipstick
July 7th, 2010, 03:51 PM
I hope it isn't connected to hair growth! I rarely drink milk, because it just has a weird texture/flavor to me, but I do like ice cream. Does that count? :p

Sammich
July 7th, 2010, 03:54 PM
I drank milk all the time from a baby(Every single day, more than 3 cups) up until the age of 14 because of it causing me acne I found out, and major gas. :p I had really fast growing hair then, I think faster than now, plus it was stronger hair, I never found a split. I think it was also thicker than how my hair is growing in now?

PS. I drank skim.

DARKMARTIAN
July 7th, 2010, 04:01 PM
I drink milk everyday.......I dont have any problems with it physiologically

And from what ive read.....hair is mostly protien which milk is a good source of as well as lipids, potassium, calcium, vitamins A and B6 which help to keep hair in good condition.....

HairColoredHair
July 7th, 2010, 04:05 PM
I think milk has little to do with it, providing one gets their vitamins elsewhere. :)

bumblebums
July 7th, 2010, 04:05 PM
Honestly, I can't imagine that there is a strong connection. I know a few vegans with fabulous hair, and I also know big milk drinkers who have unremarkable hair. Milk is full of good stuff that your hair needs, but it can't be the whole story.

Anje
July 7th, 2010, 04:09 PM
It might not hurt, but I don't think it's key. My hair's not perfect or anything, but it seems to be doing well enough and I've avoided milk since I went lactose intolerant 10 years ago.

DARKMARTIAN
July 7th, 2010, 04:16 PM
It might not hurt, but I don't think it's key. My hair's not perfect or anything, but it seems to be doing well enough and I've avoided milk since I went lactose intolerant 10 years ago.

Exactly......if anything I would think that it does more good than bad...but certainly not a key factor in having and maintaining beautiful hair...

im dreading the day when I become so lactose intolerant that I have to avoid it....

jane53
July 7th, 2010, 04:20 PM
Exactly......if anything I would think that it does more good than bad...but certainly not a key factor in having and maintaining beautiful hair...

im dreading the day when I become so lactose intolerant that I have to avoid it....

Why would you necessarily become lactose intolerant? It's not inevitable.

DARKMARTIAN
July 7th, 2010, 04:27 PM
Why would you necessarily become lactose intolerant? It's not inevitable.

If its going to happen....im dreading that day. I like milk. Im not necessarily expecting it to happen.....but its certainly not uncommon for it to....

Hope it doesnt though....:)

Sammich
July 7th, 2010, 04:38 PM
If its going to happen....im dreading that day. I like milk. Im not necessarily expecting it to happen.....but its certainly not uncommon for it to....

I think I'm developing lactose intolerance because of how much milk I used to drink every day, (I may be wrong) horrible how allergies can also develop just randomly like that.

DARKMARTIAN
July 7th, 2010, 04:43 PM
I think I'm developing lactose intolerance because of how much milk I used to drink every day, (I may be wrong) horrible how allergies can also develop just randomly like that.

Oooo...now that bites. Being young and potentially lactoid intolereranto...lol. ( i meant being intolerant at such a young age...not that it bites being young).Maybe I ought to stop drinking it so much..:p

I have seemingly been developing some allergies though as Ive gotten older. And as ive mentioned before.....the windiness of the state I live in does not help at all....

jane53
July 7th, 2010, 05:12 PM

Well, my parents both lived to be 91 and drank milk throughout their lives without problems. Let's hope we're both as lucky!

DARKMARTIAN
July 7th, 2010, 05:20 PM
Well, my parents both lived to be 91 and drank milk throughout their lives without problems. Let's hope we're both as lucky!

Its really odd how some people can go through life engaging in certain activities "unscathed" that for other people can end up being corrosive or otherwise somehow detrimental. Like smoking or drinking both spirits and milk I guess.

But your right.....lets hope...:)

Sammich
July 7th, 2010, 05:29 PM
Oooo...now that bites. Being young and potentially lactoid intolereranto...lol. ( i meant being intolerant at such a young age...not that it bites being young).Maybe I ought to stop drinking it so much..:p

I have seemingly been developing some allergies though as Ive gotten older. And as ive mentioned before.....the windiness of the state I live in does not help at all....

Oh yeah, I get the (TMI sorry) runs(The day after) when I drink milk and I've been trying some days milk and some days not, I also get acne when I drink milk too (But I still drink it, nothing can keep me away from my milk! :p Nothing I tell ya! :cheese: :cool: ;) )

I'm sure both of you will be fine, I think it's pretty rare, I guess I'm one of the unlucky few.
What sucks also is DBF has lactose intolerance, lmao! He's 18, he had it discovered at around 13? He drank milk quite frequently. :p
Oh dear, poor milk starved future kids.

May
July 7th, 2010, 06:03 PM
Do they also both eat or drink a lot of something else? Bread? Water? It could just be a coincidence... To say one causes the other is a stretch...however milk has tons of protein and hair loves protein so that's most likely the culprit :P I bet if they drank soy milk instead it would have the same benefit nutritionally as far as the protein goes.

Cholera
July 7th, 2010, 06:04 PM
Wow, this thread is really de-railed. I wanted to pop in and say that I'm lactose intolerant.. But I don't avoid all milk. Lactose-free milk is sold in every grocery store I've seen (in Oregon, I guess). It tastes sweeter than normal milk.

I drink a moderate amount of milk, but I don't think it really affects my hair. Definitely not as much as hair vitamins or exercise.

Dragon
July 7th, 2010, 06:55 PM
I hope it isn't connected to hair growth as can only drink the lactose free milk and dont have the stuff because dont like the taste of it. I found out I was lactose intolerant when I was only 16.

Igor
July 7th, 2010, 07:54 PM
I drink milk everyday.......I dont have any problems with it physiologically

And from what ive read.....hair is mostly protien which milk is a good source of as well as lipids, potassium, calcium, vitamins A and B6 which help to keep hair in good condition.....

You stole my answer right out of… my fingers? :lol:

squiggyflop
July 7th, 2010, 08:18 PM
when i first joined i was drinking a gallon a day of skim.. i was also growing the fastest and the thickest back then

Crazycatlady
July 7th, 2010, 08:51 PM
when i first joined i was drinking a gallon a day of skim.. i was also growing the fastest and the thickest back then
I'm impressed! I do like the way milk can kill my snack cravings at night. Probably the protein in it- it tends to satisfy me. :)

spidermom
July 7th, 2010, 09:00 PM
Bleh - no! The sight of milk in a glass is enough to make me gag, and my hair is plenty thick, beautiful, and long.

chipzahoy
July 8th, 2010, 12:10 AM
If drinking milk makes hair grow better then I'm just going to have to go about it the hard way because milk makes me sickly :uhh:

anthonyswife
July 8th, 2010, 12:24 AM
I'm surprised how many people on this board don't like milk!

But then, I suppose I shouldn't be, my cousins don't like milk and my mother is lactose-intolerant.

My Grandma though still drinks at least 3 glasses of milk every day at age 83 and has never had a broken bone in her life that I ever heard of. She also had gorgeous hair back in the day. I've been an avid milk drinker all my life and have never had any split ends (or broken bones). I have no idea whether it's connected, chances are it's not, but what you ingest does have a role in every function of your body...so you never know.

aksown
July 8th, 2010, 12:34 AM
YAY!!! Yet another benefit to owning my own cow!!! I'll have to start paying attention to my growth!:D:D

Loreley
July 8th, 2010, 01:08 AM
I drink a lot of milk but my hair doesn't grow too fast. However, it's thick and strong, but I think it's because of the genes. :)

BlackfootHair
July 8th, 2010, 09:50 AM
Milk is my best friend. :) Don't know about how it affects my hair though. I was more lactose intollerant when I was little. I've kind of grown out of it. They say some people do. I know when I was on the East Coast living in MA I couldn't drink the milk out there. It upset my stomach worse and it would spoil after three days of being open. I bought some organic milk and my tummy didn't hurt at all. It also didn't spoil in three days either. I'm in Iowa where AE Dairy rules, and is fresh. I drink it like it's going out of style. (although not to the tune of a gallon a day! :) ) I would much rather drink milk than water.

Cinnamoon
July 8th, 2010, 09:57 AM
I bet the protein would help, but as long as you're getting that elsewhere, it shouldn't really matter. But if you and your mom and step mom have the same amount of protein in your regular diets, minus milk, the milk would probably help.

Tiina
July 8th, 2010, 10:32 AM
Milk contains a lot of things that are good for you but this doesn't mean you can't get the same things from other sources.

As for intolerances and allergies, they are not always permanent. Exposure to the allergens can reduce the negative effects they have in the long run. I developed a small intolerance to milk when I gave up drinking it for a few months after the Big Move (norwegian cows just don't make the same tasty milk as estonian cows do :rolleyes: ). When I started drinking again (I discovered that the non-skimmed version tasted almost right in this country) it had some unusual effects. Gas and er... frequent visitations to the restroom facilities. Nevertheless, I like milk so I continued drinking it and now half a year later I have no problems whatsoever about it even though I consume anywhere from half a cup to a litre a day.

On the not-about-milk-or-lactose-but-the-threadjack-of-allergies side is my oldest brother who has had asthma all his life. When we all lived in our parent's home we got a dog (mostly thanks to my constant nagging). I don't remember my brother's initial medical reaction to the dog but by the time he moved out five years later he had no allergic reaction to that particular dog nor any other ones. But some months after moving out he became allergic again and prefers to sit by an open window whenever visiting my father and the dog. :shrug:

princessp
July 8th, 2010, 10:35 AM
It could be the protein content. My hair has always grown well and I don't now or never have drank the stuff blahhh!

Charlotte:)
July 8th, 2010, 11:28 AM
I doubt it's connected.

BlackfootHair
July 8th, 2010, 11:48 AM
Milk (espescially cow's milk) will have adverse effects on your health, but I don't know how much damage (if any) it will do to your hair.
http://www.greensmoothiegirl.com/nutrition-manifesto/are-you-getting-enough-calcium/

I LOVE cow milk. There are all kinds of studies that go from one end of the spectrum to the other. And I highly doubt milk will do ANY damage on your hair. Unless you pour it on your head and your hair hates protein. lol

Quirky
July 9th, 2010, 09:50 AM
Thank you for all the replies! After thinking about it a while I realized that both my mom and step-mom also breathe air and have had sex with my dad :eyebrows:. I'm thinking that none of it has to do with their beautiful hair! The fact that neither of them color or cut it is probably the answer. When will I learn???:D

Coffeebug
July 9th, 2010, 12:23 PM
I love milk - I drink loads of it. My hair is healthy and grows fast. I have health problems so I tried a food intolerance test which told me to go without milk or yeast... so I did for three months. Oh MAN I missed bread and milk... I felt no better so I went back to the milk and yeast, but during that time there was no discernable change in the health of my hair.

Jenw777
July 9th, 2010, 12:28 PM
Milk creeps me out. I can't drink a cup of it. Yogurt does too.

But I love sour cream.

ArcticNights
July 9th, 2010, 12:36 PM
No connection in that way, period.

But, I loose a lot of hair if I drink just ONE glass of milk. So I strongly stay away from it.

ArcticNights
July 9th, 2010, 12:37 PM
No connection in that way, period.

But, I loose a lot of hair if I drink just ONE glass of milk. So I strongly stay away from it.

EDA: Dont know why the double posts, but enjoy ha ha :)

restourceful
July 9th, 2010, 12:55 PM
I love milk, fresh from the local dairy farm. Organic good stuff. I see the cows grazing in the fields. I know the farmers. As far as having any extra effect on my hair? Only the fact that it "does a body good." My DH drinks more milk than I do and he's as bald as a cue ball. :cheese:When he had hair, though, it was gorgeous!

DARKMARTIAN
July 9th, 2010, 01:28 PM
I love milk, fresh from the local dairy farm. Organic good stuff. I see the cows grazing in the fields. I know the farmers. As far as having any extra effect on my hair? Only the fact that it "does a body good." My DH drinks more milk than I do and he's as bald as a cue ball. :cheese:When he had hair, though, it was gorgeous!

I know what you mean about fresh milk from the local dairy. Im not sure where you are restourceful,but We have a dairy farm here in Oklahoma called "Braums" with stores also here and in surrounding states. My father used to sell Mr Braum his cars. But the best milk around really comes from there. And often times ill actually put it in the freezer to get it cold enough to where it just beginning to form crystals....Yummm....:D

Curlzncoilz
July 9th, 2010, 01:44 PM
I agree that growth benefits may have something to do with the nutrients (vitamins and protein content) I did drink plenty of milk as a child and teen, but no longer. I much prefer yogurt now, it's so versatile and work as a snack or for any meals from breakfast to dinner depending on what you add to or eat with it. Stonyfield Farm is my fave brand :D

restourceful
July 9th, 2010, 01:52 PM
And often times ill actually put it in the freezer to get it cold enough to where it just beginning to form crystals....Yummm....:D

I'm a Carolina girl! Rural all the way. The dairy farm is about 10 minutes from my house and I visit once a week and cart home at least three gallons; two for us and one for my Dad. When my DS lived at home we went through eight gallons of milk a week.

I know what you mean about it being ultra cold. We keep our fridge set at the coldest setting to keep the milk coldest without everything else in the fridge freezing. Hmm, I need to go get a big glass right now!

DARKMARTIAN
July 9th, 2010, 03:00 PM
I know what you mean about it being ultra cold. We keep our fridge set at the coldest setting to keep the milk coldest without everything else in the fridge freezing. Hmm, I need to go get a big glass right now!

I do the same thing with my fridge. Things in the back can actually freeze so I gotta be careful what I put where. And I also know a little something about putting it away too. I go through about two gallons every three to four days. And you know what else?

I think ill join you and get myself a big glass too....:D

Then to add a little extra fun....im gonna spaz out and spit it everywhere out of my mouth and pretend im the android that went crazy in the first "ALIEN" movie....:rollin:

Fethenwen
July 9th, 2010, 03:43 PM
Milk doesn't really have that high contents of protein:

100 grams milk has 3.2 grams of protein. It has slightly more than a slice of whole wheat bread. About 0.48 grams more.

That sort of milk I could imagine would have health benefits compared to industrial milk :) I've heard it is good for the digestion too.

But I myself prefer other things that are healthy and has those same vitamins that are not from an animal. I don't think my hair has gone from good to worse since I stopped eating dairy, it's hard to tell because I take good care of it now, so of course it is in much better shape now than before.

Coffeebug
July 10th, 2010, 11:12 AM
I know what you mean about fresh milk from the local dairy. Im not sure where you are restourceful,but We have a dairy farm here in Oklahoma called "Braums" with stores also here and in surrounding states. My father used to sell Mr Braum his cars. But the best milk around really comes from there. And often times ill actually put it in the freezer to get it cold enough to where it just beginning to form crystals....Yummm....:D

Yeah I had mine a little iced last night too - it was awesome!

guccixx
July 10th, 2010, 11:20 AM
I'm lactose intolerant so I grew up consuming no dairy. My hair was still long and healthy. I still don't do dairy and my hair grows fast still. I think it has more to do with eating healthy in general as well as genetics than just milk (although milk does have protein and hair is made of dead protein.)

GRU
July 10th, 2010, 12:45 PM
I love ice cream, yogurt, pudding, cheese..... and hate milk! Crazy, huh?

I can only drink milk if it's full of chocolate and sugar and VERY cold or VERY hot.

And I'm glad to know I'm not the only one whose back-of-the-fridge items are known to freeze! :D

hmmm
July 10th, 2010, 01:03 PM
Well, lactose tolerance is really a mutation, so milk isn't really the most 'natural' food you'd find...

I drink two big mugs of milk everyday. In the hot weather (as now), it's mango or banana milkshake. Other times it's just plain hot milk. I don't sweeten either, because I'm a strange mutant.

mellie89
July 10th, 2010, 02:45 PM
This thread is making me crave milk so badly!

My hair grows better when I drink milk regularly, but for me, it is one of those habits that goes hand-in-hand with regular exercise, drinking enough water, taking vitamins, and eating my fruits and veggies. So really, although I'm sure the extra protein is beneficial, it is more your overall health that matters for your hair.

As others have said, I've known vegans and plenty of people who just didn't drink milk who have fast-growing, healthy-looking hair.

Cerabella
April 28th, 2020, 04:06 PM
I cannot say that I think or "know" that milk makes my hair better. Honestly I never used to drink much milk at all. I only started drinking milk a few months ago because black coffee was starting to stain my teeth and I am a bit too calorie-conscious to use cream. I probably drink a fourth of a cup (or less) per day.

I also started drinking milk because I wanted prettier nails with the perfect white edges! I have a coworker and a brother who drink gallons of milk and they both have perfectly white tips. I started drinking milk also to see if this would have an effect on my nails and in the past couple of months my nails have gotten significantly whiter!

That all makes me wonder how my hair will be effected in the long run. I do not know if whiter nails is technically healthier or not, but it is super interesting!! I guess time will tell.

curlqueenjadine
April 28th, 2020, 04:08 PM
Milk is full of fats, calcium, proteins...all of which would help with overall health and hair production so I believe theres a link

Sarahlabyrinth
April 28th, 2020, 04:16 PM
I don't like milk at all - unless it's flavoured and sweetened. I guess I could always eat some cheese instead, I like cheese.... :D

0xalis
April 28th, 2020, 04:21 PM
I gave up drinking milk entirely after even lactose-free milk made me feel sick every time I'd drink it. I can still handle most dairy products though, depending on the lactose content.
I do take daily vitamins (prenatal ones right now, including a separate calcium supplement, because I'm pregnant.)
and I try to cram some healthy stuff into my otherwise rather average american diet.
Gotta admit, I eat ice cream almost on the daily :) I have lactose pills for if I overdo it haha.

*Wednesday*
April 28th, 2020, 07:14 PM
I drink milk. I actually started drinking more milk in the past six months. Milk could be funny because sometimes it can make some people get acne or stomach issues. I have never had a problem with it but a lot of people do. People still debate milk. One group says it’s good for you and another group says that it’s not good for you. If you have results from it and it makes you feel generally well, drink in moderation. Raw milk is also becoming more trendy.

curly girl fla
April 28th, 2020, 07:26 PM
I can't do milk, but cheese is my jam! I eat tons of it, but I don't think it helps my hair at all, definitely not my poor nails.
(congrats, Oxalis!)

RunOnCaffeine
April 29th, 2020, 02:51 AM
I don't consume any dairy and my hair has always grown well. My nails are relatively decent too but I get my vitamins and minerals from other sources. If you get the same nutrients in milk elsewhere, I believe it's down to ingesting them, not necessarily where it's come from.

SleepyTangles
April 29th, 2020, 06:02 AM
High-quality milk is packed with nutrients and is an highly valuable food.
This said, I don't think milk consumption alone is enough for healthy beautiful hair. Also, cows often get treated with hormones, or feed on low-quality foods, so low-quality milk may not be as healthy for you.
Also: genetics can play a role, as many human groups fo not produce the enzymes that digest milk.