PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to fish oil?

emsahib
July 7th, 2010, 01:06 PM
Hey I heard that fish oil tablets are good for your hair but I'm a vegetarian. What's in the fish oil thats good for hair and are there any alternatives I could take? :) Thanks

Tonks
July 7th, 2010, 01:15 PM
I've been wondering about this lately too.

Bluebell
July 7th, 2010, 01:15 PM
Maybe linseedoil/ flaxoil?

motormuffin
July 7th, 2010, 01:16 PM
Omega 3. You can take flax oil instead.

emsahib
July 7th, 2010, 01:23 PM
:) thanks for your help, I've just had to goodle flax didn't know it was a plant. Have you tried flax oil yourself? If so did you notice much improvement?

motormuffin
July 7th, 2010, 01:25 PM
Omegas and probiotics plus good food...:cheer:

got2pals
July 7th, 2010, 01:43 PM
I have used flaxseed oil and fish oil. FLaxseed oil is a short-chain omega-3 fatty acid which your body has convert to longer-chain fatty acids to incorporate into cell membranes. Fish oil contains an 18-carbon fatty acid chain (seen as "EPA" on a bottle of fish oil) and your body can use that right away.
I tried taking the equivalent, in flaxseed oil, to a certain amount of fish oil -- I took 7 flaxseed capsules in one day and I was soooo sick.
You need the healthy oils from nuts and peanuts and olives and seeds; the linoleic and linolenic acids, and then you need your Omega 3's from fish or flax (or walnuts to a lesser extent). There is a "DHA" supplement made from algae, but it's not the 18-chain fatty acid, although it is good for the eyes and brain. Dogs are such a great example of how getting a range of fats in the diet works -- when they get a healthy dose of plant oils (canola, safflower, corn, sunflower), their skin is wonderful and their coats shine. The Omega 3s help with inflammation, so it's great for allergic skin conditions or eczema.
Don't go overboard on the flax (can cause tummy upsets and also can be toxic at high doses), check out the vegan DHA!

I notice no difference in my hair with or without these in my diet, but I've always been a big peanut butter fan and eaten other nuts and healthy stuff. My skin is a little less dry -- so that's something. Good luck.

emsahib
July 7th, 2010, 01:56 PM
wow thanks for the in depth knowledge, thats v helpful are all nuts good? I'm rather fond of cashews myself :)

little_cherry
July 7th, 2010, 02:29 PM
Hemp seed oil is very high in Omega 3's....makes hair feel fabulous whether you oil it or ingest it.

Curlzncoilz
July 9th, 2010, 02:40 PM
I like my Cashews too!

But.....they are not a very beneficial nut Omega-wise.

Almonds are a better alternative(whole natural with their skin on is best, I don't know if toasted/ blanched or roasted may work as well).

ChloeDharma
July 9th, 2010, 03:35 PM
I'd stick with raw unsalted nuts and seeds. Hemp as has been mentioned is an excellent oil.....pumpkin, walnut, coconut, brazil nut, and avocado oil are ones to look into as well

Fethenwen
July 9th, 2010, 03:46 PM
Hemp seed oil is very high in Omega 3's....makes hair feel fabulous whether you oil it or ingest it.
I also second hemp :cheese:

But you wont get your DHA's and EPA's which are both important fatty acids, but I think there are supplements for those which are vegan (I hope!).
I myself take fish oil now and then, even if I consider myself a vegetarian. But for the most part I take hemp oil.