PDA

View Full Version : Went Sulphate free and now I'm shedding

In2wishin
July 7th, 2010, 09:25 AM
Help! I have just started using sulphate free shampoo. This morning was the second time washing with it (first time was 4 days ago) and I noticed a significant increase in my shedding. Has anyone else experienced it? Should I be worried or could it be a normal periodic heavy shedding? Some advice please....I'm freaking a bit here.

s_tresses
July 7th, 2010, 09:37 AM
1) It could just be that your scalp is 'adjusting' to this change.

2) Even though it has no sulphates, there might be other 'bad' ingredients. What are the ingredients? Maybe someone with more knowledge about them can help you out.

3) Many LHCers just stick to sulphates because that's what suits their hair. So maybe sulphates get along with you hair.

Are there any other changes you made to your routine?

In2wishin
July 7th, 2010, 09:58 AM
1) It could just be that your scalp is 'adjusting' to this change.

2) Even though it has no sulphates, there might be other 'bad' ingredients. What are the ingredients? Maybe someone with more knowledge about them can help you out.

3) Many LHCers just stick to sulphates because that's what suits their hair. So maybe sulphates get along with you hair.

Are there any other changes you made to your routine?

I am using L'Oreal Everpure. I have been getting those sore bumps on my scalp and the scalp has been itchy so I thought to go SLS free and see what happens.

Ingredients
Aqua, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, Sodium Lauryl Sulfoacetate, Disodium Laureth Sulfosuccinate, Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Glycol Distearate, Glycereth 26, Decyl Glucoside, Parfum/Fragrance, PPG 5 Ceteth 20, Divinyldimethicone/Dimethicone Copolymer, Amodimethicone, Polyquaternium 7, Polyquaternium 10, Methylparaben, PEG 55 Propylene Glycol Oceate, Propylene Glycol, Carbomer, C11 15 Pareth 7, Benzophenone 3, Benzyl Salicylate, Hexylcinnamal, Glycerin, Trideceth12, Laureth 9, Linalool, Tocopherol, Limonene, C12 13 Pareth 23, C12 13 Pareth 3, Benzyl Alcohol, Juniperus Communis Fruit Oil, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Rosmarinus Officinalis Oil (Rosemary), Methylisothiazolinone, Sodium Hydroxide, Citric Acid

My normal shampoo's ingredients are:

Aqua, Sodium laureth sulfate, Cocamide DEA, Propylene glycol, Sodium chloride, Cocamine oxide, Cocamidopropyl betaine, Glycerine, Citric acid, Polyquaternium-7, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Magnesium chloride, Magnesium nitrate

It is a concentrate that I mix up myself with additional water, sodium chloride, and fragrance

I have not made any other changes to my routine.

HintOfMint
July 7th, 2010, 11:49 AM
The first time I went sulfate free, I shed like a maniac. It could have been because of the stress I was under, or a periodic shed, but the shampoo/conditioner also made my hair unnaturally flat. And I lived in New Orleans at the time.
I tried a different sulfate-free shampoo 6 months later and that one didn't make me shed. It was Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle. I will warn you that I did have a dry scalp when I used it, however, I could also chalk that up to the winter. Darn, I have been really unscientific in my hair experiments! Ah well, try changing brands if you really want to be SLS free.
One more suggestion (If I may), Mane 'n Tail shampoo doesn't cause bumps on my scalp the way Herbal Essences Drama Clean shampoo does (they are both sulfates). This is something I am sure of. So if the pimples are the only reason you're going sulfate free, it may not even be the sulfates that are the culprit.

Sunsailing
July 7th, 2010, 12:32 PM
Sulphate shampoos are good at cleaning. One of the things that can lead to more than normal shedding is a build up of DHT on the scalp. I believe the sulphate shampoos wash away the DHT better than the others. If you condition the length then only shampoo the scalp, then a sulphate shampoo shouldn't give you trouble.

3azza
July 7th, 2010, 12:52 PM
It might just be that your shedding cycle is due, well i know mine is, and all the people around me are shedding as well. i hope it's just that.

Sunny_side_up
July 7th, 2010, 02:28 PM
I notice if i leave my hair three days there seems to be tons more hair in the plughole compared to if i wash my hair everyother day! Or if i sometimes do every day (rare) then there's been nothing in the plughole!! I have spent the last 2 weeks using SLS free dr organic shampoo, my hair didn't like it at first but adjusted i think, but i did notice lots of hairloss. I use SLS free because products with it in make my knuckles red raw... Recently was visiting friends, used a handwash there... no itching i ran up to read the ingredients- Sodium pareth sulfate, molecules are slightly larger i read on a site i googled. On weekend bought myself some cheap shampoo with this ingredient, fraction of the price of a Dr organic. My skins fine :) Less shedding also :D

Lorelai
July 8th, 2010, 11:38 AM
Okay, here are my two cents about this. I've done a lot of research regarding chemical additives in mainstream (and, okay, even professed natural, organic, etc.) shampoo and conditioner, along with other beauty products. I recently read a book (Julie Gabriel's The Green Beauty Guide) that lists unsafe ingredients in a comprehensive, readable way if you're interested- I'm referring to that book as I write this, but the information is out there in many other places.

Shampoo without SLS is important (may be contaminated with 1, 4 Dioxance, discussed later), no question, but there are many other unsafe ingredients potentially contributing to your shedding problem. Also, the scalp is extremely absorbant, for a lack of a better word. The skin in general is, but the scalp really is. My motto these days is: if I can't pronounce it and/ or would feel uncomfortable eating it, I try not to put it on my skin. Now, I'm the first to agree that it's not always an easy motto and sometimes I fail miserably. But with shampoos and conditioners, the chemicals really are avoidable.

And why should we avoid them, especially those of us with long, luscious locks that we want to keep healthy and beautiful?

One. Our skin can absorb up to 60% of substances applied to its surface. No joke. Many mainstream beauty products contain penetration enhancers, such as ethanol, propylene glycol, and surfactants that further increase this percentage. These chemicals actually accelerate penetration, and more synthetic chemicals end up in the blood stream and lymph ducts. Hopefully they are then flushed out by the liver and the kidneys, but not all chemicals are flushed from the body- especially if one considers the sheer amount of chemicals we are exposed to daily in just about everything we come into contact with. The body is bound to retain unwanted chemicals.

I would strongly recommend reading your ingredient labels. I'm going to break down some of the ingredients found in the SLS free shampoo (not entirely convinced it's technically SLS free- never trust advertising, always read labels!), and hope that it's enough to spur an investigation of other shampoos and beauty products used by those of us with lovely long hair.

Ingredients
Aqua, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, Sodium Lauryl Sulfoacetate, Disodium Laureth Sulfosuccinate, Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Glycol Distearate, Glycereth 26, Decyl Glucoside, Parfum/Fragrance, PPG 5 Ceteth 20, Divinyldimethicone/Dimethicone Copolymer, Amodimethicone, Polyquaternium 7, Polyquaternium 10, Methylparaben, PEG 55 Propylene Glycol Oceate, Propylene Glycol, Carbomer, C11 15 Pareth 7, Benzophenone 3, Benzyl Salicylate, Hexylcinnamal, Glycerin, Trideceth12, Laureth 9, Linalool, Tocopherol, Limonene, C12 13 Pareth 23, C12 13 Pareth 3, Benzyl Alcohol, Juniperus Communis Fruit Oil, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Rosmarinus Officinalis Oil (Rosemary), Methylisothiazolinone, Sodium Hydroxide, Citric Acid

Okay, I want to mention 1, 4 Dioxane. This is a byproduct, and as such is not required to be listed on ingredient labels. Many companies take shortcuts when trying to make harsh ingredients milder, and the carcinogenic, tumor inducing 1, 4 Dioxane is the product of such tampering. Ingredients containing eth should be watched out for. The scariest thing about 1, 4 Dioxane is that many mainstream baby products test positive for the chemical, because these products are supposed to be more mild. !!!

Phthalates are found most often in perfume and nail polish, but often hide under the generic word "fragrance" in other beauty products. Phthalates are, essentially, reproductive toxins, and women are exposed to high concentrations of this chemical when all products containing it are combined. Found in one product, it might not be too bad, but in 10? Products put on the skin, the body's largest organ? Not counting the new car smell (I know... it's the hot plastic!)? As a young woman, it's frightening to me.

Propylene glycol (PG) is different from polyethylene glycol (PEG), but both are bad! The FDA considers PG "safe," but in 2001 banned it from cat food. And yet it's commonly found in products for humans. PEG is less safe. Science has not had enough time to determine how unsafe, but studies have shown that female animals exposed to PEG had babies with birth defects and male animals displayed reduced sperm counts. The list goes on and I'm already writing an essay here.

Parabens are commonly used as preservatives and you should really avoid them-- methylparaben, for example, is a known skin and eye irritant, environmental contaminant, and has been linked to ovarian and breast cancer. All parabens have, but the shampoo contains methylparaben. As does my eyeliner; I'm working to find a nontoxic replacement, and believe me, I'm not going to find it at a drugstore or department store.

Long story short: what is unhealthy for your body is definitely unhealthy for your hair. In terms of the amount of chemicals in your product, your original SLS product sounds safer to me. However, I would strongly encourage further research so you can make an informed decision about what is healthy for your hair and body. There are many who would argue that synthetic chemicals are perfectly healthy, but the increasingly rising numbers of people diagnosed with cancer and other life threatening disorders says otherwise to me.

This is not meant to be a command of any kind. My goal is simply to provide information that will hopefully make my fellow women happier, healthier, and above all else, able to live longer, peaceful lives.

Loreley
July 8th, 2010, 11:51 AM
I went sulfate free after half a year of CO-ing. I didn't shed more than before. I've been using sulfate free shampoo for about 2 months but today I clarified with a SLES shampoo and much more hair came out than usual. :confused:

In2wishin
July 8th, 2010, 02:12 PM
All parabens have, but the shampoo contains methylparaben. As does my eyeliner; I'm working to find a nontoxic replacement, and believe me, I'm not going to find it at a drugstore or department store.

Long story short: what is unhealthy for your body is definitely unhealthy for your hair. In terms of the amount of chemicals in your product, your original SLS product sounds safer to me. However, I would strongly encourage further research so you can make an informed decision about what is healthy for your hair and body. There are many who would argue that synthetic chemicals are perfectly healthy, but the increasingly rising numbers of people diagnosed with cancer and other life threatening disorders says otherwise to me.

This is not meant to be a command of any kind. My goal is simply to provide information that will hopefully make my fellow women happier, healthier, and above all else, able to live longer, peaceful lives.

Lorelai: Thank you so much for your input. The first thing I thought of is your eyeliner. I use eyeshadow that I apply with a wet super fine artists brush. Perhaps you can find a paraben free shadow since there are more shadows available than liners. One other option would be to make your own. I get most of my mineral makeup supplies from www.tkbtrading.com

I got to thinking about my original shampoo and the two unpronouncable ingredients, Methylchloroisothiazolinone and Methylisothiazolinone. I looked them up and they are preservatives but are also known allergans. I don't have much of an alergy problem (grass and tree pollen in the spring/summer plus formaldehyde if it comes in contact with my skin) but I was thinking that I may be developing a reaction and that is why my scalp started itching (after several years of use) and I'm getting the bumps.

I'm going to have to do some experiments. I have almost all of the ingredients to make a shampoo that is free of just about everything. I would just need to order the Cocamidopropyl Betaine. I think I will start out with a very simple shampoo and start adding things (proteins, conditioners, etc). I have tried soap based shampoo and shampoo bars and my hair hates them so I need to work within the detergent shampoos instead.

Katze
July 9th, 2010, 05:25 AM
we have similar hair and I found out that sulfate free does not work for me. However, I have light eczema, including on my scalp, and feel like it 'needs' to be 'really cleaned' every 2nd to 4th wash. WO washing in between (every other wash) is good, but going totally 'no poo' or sulfate free just does not get my fine hair and flake-prone, sensitive scalp clean enough...

hth!

Lorelai
July 12th, 2010, 03:21 PM
It's extremely difficult for long hair to go all natural, mostly because it's been damaged too much over time to get used to itself in its natural state. Plus, we might not recognize our hair in its natural state and probably wouldn't like the process of getting it there. My hair is down to my lower back, mostly straight, and medium-fine; if I chose to go shampoo bar natural, then I'd have to cut a good portion off and start over again. I'm considering that route, but every time I mention it, my boyfriend just looks depressed. I know that if it comes down to it, he'd live. The beautiful thing about hair is that it grows back, especially if it's being treated well.

Anyway, I've switched to organic hair care products with milder detergents in the meantime. Right now I'm using Beauty Without Cruelty (the shampoo does foam and lather up nicely, which is what SLS does in mainstream shampoo, though those suds aren't required for cleaning), and I'm pleased with it. My hair doesn't shed in the shower as much as it used to. I only shampoo my scalp, though, and apply conditioner to the hair shaft, avoiding the scalp area so it doesn't get oily on me. I comb the conditioner through gently with a wide tooth comb. The whole process works well for me. There are other reliable brands, such as Aubrey Organics, that I look forward to trying, though I've heard that their shampoo doesn't lather much. It's difficult to stop equating suds with clean. :)

I appreciate the advice regarding my eyeliner... I've been so used to my Maybelline that it's taken me a while to locate a safe alternative. I've always disliked pencil liners (which doesn't help- it seems that all natural eyeliner comes in pencil form), because they tug and the color doesn't always transfer well, but I found one that I like. It's made by an online company called Zosimos Botanicals and all the ingredients are safe according to my knowledge and also Skin Deep, the cosmetic safety website. I wear minimal makeup to begin with (eyeliner, mascara), so I feel okay investing a tad more in a safe product. I'm so excited! :D

Cimorene
July 12th, 2010, 05:46 PM
Here are some articles on the Beauty Brains blog about sulfates that you may find interesting/informative:

Should your shower stay sulfate free? (http://thebeautybrains.com/2008/07/14/should-my-shower-stay-sulfate-free/)

Sulfates in shampoos -- what are they? (http://thebeautybrains.com/2007/06/30/sulfates-in-shampoos-what-are-they/)

sarahbrownie
July 25th, 2010, 09:47 PM
So, it's been a while, did you find out a product for your hair?

I found this thread in a search, well, because for six to nine months I went off sulfates and used Burt's Bees shampoo. Now, I always shedded and seem to have 10-20 hairs fall out after washing. I went off of Burts for a while because I couldn't afford it and wanted to try cones/sulfates again, bought Dove Anti-Frizz for the summer. Also I began taking 5000mg of Biotin a day. I found my shedding was non-existent. Literally had no shedding (that I know of) in the shower. I accounted this to the Biotin. After a couple of weeks the shampoo began to cause a lot of build-up/dullness/dryness. I just had a little left in my burts and decided to switch back. I loved how my hair was with Burts, clean, light, and beautiful! I had one washing, no shedding. I have washed tonight and the shedding was back. I don't know if it was the Burts or just that it's sulfate free in general. I'm tempted to try some shampoo bars but I just hope it's just the Burts and not because it lacks SLS.

Charlotte:)
July 25th, 2010, 09:52 PM
I tend to shed like a maniac when my scalp is too greasy for too long (I think the grease clogs the hair follicles). Non-sulphate shampoos don't seem to wash as well, so perhaps that's what's wrong.

In2wishin
July 26th, 2010, 12:04 AM
[QUOTE=sarahbrownie;1184725]So, it's been a while, did you find out a product for your hair?QUOTE]

My next one to try will be Hugo Naturals Geranium shampoo as soon as I can find a store that carries it.. I see nothing in here that I think I may have an issue with. The first ingredient is Panax ginseng extract infused into water which is supposed to be good for strengthening hair.

Ingredients: Aqueous Infusion of Panax Ginseng Root Extract, Symphytum Officinale (Comfrey) Root Extract, Anthemis Nobilis (Chamomile)Flower Extract, Ilex Paraguariensis (Paraguayan Tea) Leaf Extract, Arnica Cordifolia (Arnica) Extract, Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel) Leaf Extract, Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe Vera Leaf) Extract, Sodium Cocoabutteramphoacetate, Decyl Glucoside, Kosher Vegetable Glycerin, Cetyl Babassuate, Dextrine, Maltodextrine, Simmondsia Chinensis (Organic Jojoba) Seed Oil, Euterpe Oleracea (Organic Acai) Pulp Oil, Lauryl Glucoside (Vegetable Derived), Arnica Montana Flower Extract, Sucrose Cocoate, Olea Europaea (Olive Oil) Unsaponified, Beta Glucan, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein, Panthenol, Passiflora Incarnata (Passion Flower) Extract, Oryza Sativa (Rice) Bran Oil, Sodium Chloride (Salt), Sorbitol, Citric Acid, Tocopherol (Natural Vitamin E), Lonicera Caprifolium Var. Caprifolium (Japanese Honeysuckle Extract), Organic Pelargonium Graveolens (Geranium) Flower Oil