PDA

View Full Version : Steam for Styles

LaurelSpring
May 14th, 2008, 02:51 PM
I noticed in several posts that some use Caruso Rollers. I have a set but I was wondering if it is as damaging to hair as other heat styling products. My hair does feel soft and nice with the caruso but I always get ridges from the caps.

I also recently saw an infomercial for a Conair Steam Straightener. Are these damaging? Is it any heated styling thing that causes damage?

Just curious. I dont want to get one or keep using the Caruso if it is damaging my hair.

jojo
May 14th, 2008, 06:08 PM
I do not know this product but my two penneth worth is steam is a type of heat and in my opinion will in the long term damage hair but im no expert. But saying that we need to enjoy our hair so every once in a while won't hurt as long as you baby it after!

Riot Crrl
May 14th, 2008, 06:13 PM
I think it matters how hot is the steam. Steam from the shower or dishes probably isn't bad, but 400 Fahrenheit steam is.

Silver & Gold
May 15th, 2008, 04:43 AM
I would say a big fat NO to the steam straightener. I'm pretty certain this would be damaging.

However, the Caruso rollers are quite different IMHO. I own them and the steam isn't all that hot by the time it reaches my hair. It seems that the steam from the Caruso rollers is just enough to add just a touch of moisture that helps the hair stay set. I think if you are very careful roll the hair smoothly that you shouldn't get much if any damage from using these on occasion. I use them when I have to set my hair for various characters I've played on stage.

As for the ridges I have a couple of suggestions. If you raise the angle when you apply the first rollers on the top you shouldn't have ridges on those at all since the cap doesn't bend the hair but rather lies directly on top at a higher angle. (Also, adding less hair to the first top rollers will help with this problem.) As for the lower layers of hair, if you should get a little bend it won't really show since the bend is covered by the top layers. It's been my experience that the bend tends to relax out fairly quickly anyway especially if you remove the roller a bit earlier and let the hair just sit and finish drying out.

Madam Librarian
May 15th, 2008, 07:27 AM
I have a set of Carusos and notice no damage from them.

Magdalene
May 15th, 2008, 07:33 AM
Just wondering- is one set of carusos enough to set your whole head? With my regular hot rollers I need 2 sets...

Silver & Gold
May 15th, 2008, 08:06 AM
Just wondering- is one set of carusos enough to set your whole head? With my regular hot rollers I need 2 sets...

You will most likely have to purchase additional rollers for a Caruso. What comes with a set is 6 each of sizes; petite, small, small+, medium, large. I actually prefer the Jumbo rollers which are the same as the large except for the diameter of the foam. (The hard plastic core and shield is the same for large and jumbo.) So I purchased several additional sets (they come in 6 packs). I like to use a lot of rollers so I tend to use 16 rollers or there abouts.

The rollers can be a bit expensive for what they are made of if you ask me, but the good news is, when the foam wears out you can just buy inexpensive jumbo foam rollers (the old fashioned kind) and use the foam from them to replace your old Caruso foam. I wish Caruso would sell only the foam for replacement but the only option currently is to buy the entire roller.

If were just starting with a new Caruso I would buy the set plus 2 additional sets of Jumbo rollers and then purchase some regular jumbo rollers and remove the foam from my large rollers to create 6 more Jumbo. I hope I'm not confusing you here.

Anyway, I love these rollers. You do theatre too I see . . . if you need to set your hair for various roles this is the set for you. Lasting curls without the damage of hot rollers. It actually moisturizes my hair and gives me a deeper, tighter curl than hot rollers.

Gabriel
May 15th, 2008, 08:11 AM
I have somewhat coarse hair and I've found the steam rollers leave it softer. Of course the curl doesn't hold well for me now that my hair is longer and the heaviness pulls any curl out unless I seal the curls with tons of hairspray. So I don't use them much anymore.

The steam isn't really that hot by the time you roll your hair into it. I think the worst is if you get hair caught between the roller and the foam or if it tangles taking the rollers out.

One set of rollers is/wasn't enough for my hair/head. Luckily when I first started using them, (ages ago) my mom went crazy when she found some somewhere on sale and bought me tons of extra rollers.