PDA

View Full Version : I've just realised something insane.

Pandora.
July 7th, 2010, 03:28 AM
I've just worked out that if I'd randomly decided to to shave my head today, it would grow back to the exact same length it is now in just a little over a year. At the moment, my hair just reaches waist length (I've just trimmed my hair a couple of inches recently). That shocked me tbh, I always thought my hair grew quite fast, but not that fast.

This makes me excited about how my hair will look in about a year or so. :cheese:

Lol, to give this thread somewhat of a purpose; if you decided to shave your head today, what length would your hair - approximately - be this time next year?

Hotrox
July 7th, 2010, 03:41 AM
well, if I shaved my hair right now the length would be approximately - bald!!

hehehe :D

Toadstool
July 7th, 2010, 03:45 AM
In a year! Wow, you're so lucky!

Pandora.
July 7th, 2010, 03:49 AM
well, if I shaved my hair right now the length would be approximately - bald!!

hehehe :D

Ahhh I just noticed I made a mistake in my original post, I've edited it now. :P

Loreley
July 7th, 2010, 03:51 AM
You are really lucky your hair grows so fast! :)

alwayssmiling
July 7th, 2010, 03:53 AM
Well, I get a respectable 1" per month at the moment. Assuming that it is not just summer growth that would be 12" in a year which would put me back to my jaw length bob I started with. Sometimes its tempting to have it cut really short just to get my hair back into really good condition, but short hairstyles don't suit me at all. I'm loving my hair even more each month I measure regardless of some damage.

Dragon
July 7th, 2010, 04:08 AM
You are so luckey it grows so fast. I just worked out mine would be at the top of my ear if I dident have any trims.

KittyLost
July 7th, 2010, 04:37 AM
I reckon that if I shaved my head right now, in a years time my hair would be in a chin length bob I'd say! around 7inches or so.

Lassie
July 7th, 2010, 04:47 AM
huh? i think im either confused.....or my THUD is so huge the hit has affected my brain
You would go from bald to waist in little over a year???
on a height of 5foot 1/2/3 thats about 30inches (rough estimate)
so that would be growth over 2inches a month, every month...so over 5cm a month..over 1cm a week - you must be able to SEE it growing
WOW that is staggeringly phenominal....what on earth is your secret?????

Anlbe
July 7th, 2010, 04:58 AM
My hair only grows about four inches a year, I wouldn't have even reached a bob after a year.

juliaxena
July 7th, 2010, 05:00 AM
Mine would be ear lenght with ugly layers.

jasper
July 7th, 2010, 05:31 AM
My growth seems really irregular. I might make it to chin length in some areas and collar length or shoulder length in others.

freckles
July 7th, 2010, 05:34 AM
I think I could reach a chin-length-ish shaggy bob (?) if I didn't trim at all. You must have very very fast growth.

Drynwhyl
July 7th, 2010, 05:56 AM
Meh, my hair grows quite slow. I guess I'd may be able to pull it back in a ponytail, or at least most of it.

Deb!
July 7th, 2010, 07:20 AM
I've just worked out that if I'd randomly decided to to shave my head today, it would grow back to the exact same length it is now in just a little over a year. At the moment, my hair just reaches waist length

Please explain how you came to this conclusion.

ChrissieM
July 7th, 2010, 07:25 AM
Lucky you to have such fast growing hair! My hair grows 1/2 inch a month, so it wouldn't even be at shoulder length.

ravenreed
July 7th, 2010, 07:28 AM
Yeah, I am puzzled as well. My hair grows at best, an inch in one month, but some months not much at all, so my average is about 3/4 of an inch. My understanding is that it is on the high side of average. So in a year I get about 9". Not even close to waist on me.

Please explain how you came to this conclusion.

Tangerine
July 7th, 2010, 07:31 AM
I know ravenreed - I am also a little :agape:. I think I would actually be a bit spooked if my hair grew that fast ....

Rinnirikku
July 7th, 2010, 08:02 AM
This makes no sense to me as well. I've burnt my hair off to about 1 1/2 inch layers, and it's taking me about 2 years to get to bsl (it'll be 2 years in october and I'm past apl right now).
Unless you have some kind of super human abilities, no one should be able to grow 29-33 inches in a year. That would be, roughly, on average, 2.6 inches a month. Average is only about .5 per month.

Rinnirikku
July 7th, 2010, 08:06 AM
Maybe you're measuring wrong? ^^;;

PiroskaCicu
July 7th, 2010, 08:11 AM
That is some UBER fast growing hair, unless you've made a mistake, perhaps? ^^;

My hair would be around 6-8 inches long in a year- so that is maybe chin length.

teela1978
July 7th, 2010, 08:18 AM
If I didn't cut at all after shaving... I would guess that my longer hairs from the nape of my neck would be around collarbone. I usually get an average 1/2 inch per month, so 6 inches-ish per year. The bulk of my hair would be much higher though, and I would imagine that it wouldn't quite, or would just barely fit into a ponytail. I dislike thin ends though so I'd probably trim it.

Lemur_Catta
July 7th, 2010, 08:34 AM
I just measured the distance between my nape and my waist. It is 20. So, if she shaved her head now, in a year her nape hair should have grown 20 inches to reach waist, not 30. (Of course, her hemline would be quite thin because there would only be the nape hairs, not all her hair)
That would be 1.6 inches a month, which is a lot, but not unheard of :)
I wish my hair would grow that fast :D

hmmm
July 7th, 2010, 08:57 AM
I don't believe it.

Traceylouise226
July 7th, 2010, 09:02 AM
I didn't even know it was possible for hair to grow at that speed
holy smokes !!!

Reptilia
July 7th, 2010, 09:06 AM
It would take me a year to get to shoulder length! Your lucky to have hair that grows that fast!

UltraBella
July 7th, 2010, 09:06 AM
My hair grows really fast, 1.25 to 1.5 inches per month. That being said, if I shaved my head today and then measured one year from now, there would be no way I could get to waist. Sorry :(

Tiina
July 7th, 2010, 09:11 AM
My hair grows on average an inch per month, sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less so my nape hairs would be around APL. But I hate that layered look on myself, I'd see a deranged lion every time I looked in the mirror.

As for the Pandora's (OP) hair growth rate, it is something you have to see to believe but not implausible.

kdaniels8811
July 7th, 2010, 10:51 AM
I AM bald, my hair is just starting to grow. So in a year, I would hope it would cover my ears. We will see. I am at about 1/8" right now. I do not believe anyones hair grows that fast!

I did grow from APL to just touching waist in 12 months, but that was more like 8 inches with generous applications of megatek, frequent catnip soaks to prevent breakage, and herbal scalp washes. And my beloved henna, of course!

Jenw777
July 7th, 2010, 10:56 AM
Hmmmm.... Mine would be about to my shoulders.

I have freakishly fast growing hair. I dyed it the last day of April for my brothers wedding and today my roots are grown out about 2 1/2 inches. Some months my hair grows VERY quickly, and then others it grows at a normal pace. My hair would have been uber long months ago if I could just control that itch to whack it all off.

Maverick494
July 7th, 2010, 11:04 AM
I've just worked out that if I'd randomly decided to to shave my head today, it would grow back to the exact same length it is now in just a little over a year. At the moment, my hair just reaches waist length (I've just trimmed my hair a couple of inches recently). That shocked me tbh, I always thought my hair grew quite fast, but not that fast.

This makes me excited about how my hair will look in about a year or so. :cheese:

Lol, to give this thread somewhat of a purpose; if you decided to shave your head today, what length would your hair - approximately - be this time next year?

Are you sure you got this right? Because hairs have growth cycles, which means it doesn't grow all the time. If your conclusion is right, you would have to be growing about 3 inches per month to get to waist. And that would mean every hair grows all the time all year. I honestly don't think that's possible. Here's a quick test for you

Divide your hair into four parts. Pluck one hair from each part. (it would be more accurate if you plucked more, but noone wants to pull precious hair out :p). If your conclusion is correct, all plucked hairs come out with the root (a white bulb with a black pigment at the end.) This means hairs in all sections of your hair are actively growing. Which is pretty much impossible.

Deborah
July 7th, 2010, 11:08 AM
Pandora,

I believe you.

My hair grows extremely fast too. I don't talk about it much because many of the folks here don't think it's possible.

It's all about genetics, and some of us have a genetic make up that causes what my Mum used to call 'freakishly fast' hair growth. So I do know that it's entirely possible, in spite of the nay-sayers. Just let it grow, and enjoy it! It gives you many options! :flower:

Sammich
July 7th, 2010, 11:11 AM
Pandora,

I believe you.

My hair grows extremely fast too. I don't talk about it much because many of the folks here don't think it's possible.

It's all about genetics, and some of us have a genetic make up that causes what my Mum used to call 'freakishly fast' hair growth. So I do know that it's entirely possible, in spite of the nay-sayers. Just let it grow, and enjoy it! It gives you many options! :flower:

Yuppers, I agree.
I believe you! :) I think that's absolutely amazing, I don't know how long my hair would grow, and I have no idea how to calculate it, (Sucky at maths :p ) but my growth rate per month is about an inch.

triumphator!
July 7th, 2010, 11:36 AM
I would have..... hair to my chin!

spidermom
July 7th, 2010, 11:58 AM
Shaved to waist length in a little over a year? I just can't believe that! I'd get about 7 inches of growth in the year so that would put me at a shaggy, layered below shoulder length "lack of style" but not quite APL.

blendedchaitea
July 7th, 2010, 12:04 PM
I also call shenanigans.

ibleedlipstick
July 7th, 2010, 12:09 PM
I mostly believe you, as long as you are not 6 feet tall. I'm about 5'8 (ish, I have horrible posture about half the time, and can slouch to 5'6, but after months of yoga am 5'9-5'10 depending.) I *actually* shaved my head a couple of years ago, and if I had taken better care of my hair, I would probably be at/past TBL. Although, I carry all of my height in my legs, and the time it would take for me to grow from nape to tailbone is less than what it would take from tailbone to knee. I grow about an inch to two inches a month about 9 months of the year, but in odd times and places. I unfortunately don't grow all at once.

Roseate
July 7th, 2010, 12:36 PM
When I shaved my head it took me about 2 years to get to shoulder, but I had several stops along the way, and kept getting trims to reshape.

My growth is resolutely average, 1/2" a month no matter what I do. The hair I do grow is thick and strong, but it likes to take its time!

Pandora.
July 7th, 2010, 01:19 PM
Bare in mind I said a little over a year, so basically a year and a few months. Sorry I didn't make that clear.

I am pretty short (only just 5'4") and I have short body features - if that makes sense. My hair only has to be - at the most - about 20" to be considered waist length.

The speed of my hair growth is down to genetics, I guess. My mum once cut her hair BSL once, and within 3 months it grew somewhere between waist length and tailbone (but she's slightly shorter than me). Also, my dad has to shave his head every 1-2 weeks or so, since almost half an inch of growth would appear. My grandma - who has a pixie cut - also has to have her hair cut every 3-4 weeks or so, since her would immediately grow to the middle of her neck in that space of time. It wouldn't take a genius to figure out why I would probably get fast growing hair.

When I was about 7, I had my hair cut short to my chin, and just under a year it reached tailbone. A few years ago, I cut my hair to my shoulders, and within 2-3 months it just reached waist again (although I was a lot shorter than I am now). Nowadays, my hair is more damaged so sometimes when it grows, some breaks off (only if I don't take care of it) and I maintain it at waist length these days anyway.

Tbh, it's up to you if you don't want to believe me or whether you think I'm wrong, because I'm not too bothered what some of you may think. I've had fast growing hair for as long as I have lived - just ask anyone who knows me, they'll tell you straight. :P

Toadstool
July 7th, 2010, 01:21 PM
Well, I wish mine grew that quickly!

ibleedlipstick
July 7th, 2010, 01:33 PM
Bare in mind I said a little over a year, so basically a year and a few months. Sorry I didn't make that clear.

I am pretty short (only just 5'4") and I have short body features - if that makes sense. My hair only has to be - at the most - about 20" to be considered waist length.

The speed of my hair growth is down to genetics, I guess. My mum once cut her hair BSL once, and within 3 months it grew somewhere between waist length and tailbone (but she's slightly shorter than me). Also, my dad has to shave his head every 1-2 weeks or so, since almost half an inch of growth would appear. My grandma - who has a pixie cut - also has to have her hair cut every 3-4 weeks or so, since her would immediately grow to the middle of her neck in that space of time. It wouldn't take a genius to figure out why I would probably get fast growing hair.

When I was about 7, I had my hair cut short to my chin, and just under a year it reached tailbone. A few years ago, I cut my hair to my shoulders, and within 2-3 months it just reached waist again (although I was a lot shorter than I am now). Nowadays, my hair is more damaged so sometimes when it grows, some breaks off (only if I don't take care of it) and I maintain it at waist length these days anyway.

Tbh, it's up to you if you don't want to believe me or whether you think I'm wrong, because I'm not too bothered what some of you may think. I've had fast growing hair for as long as I have lived - just ask anyone who knows me, they'll tell you straight. :P

I believe you, because you are fairly short. I think it just seemed unimaginable to the taller people, because for someone much taller it could take many months longer to reach waist, years even. So no worries :)

Sunny_side_up
July 7th, 2010, 01:59 PM
Thats cool! Your family tree shows some super growth. Regular trims + good growth = lovely healthy hair on ya :)

Ruvie
July 7th, 2010, 02:07 PM
..im 5'2" and have a very high waist, but only the tip of my hair is full waist even at 28 inches. sorry, just not believing it..20 inches measuring your hair with the tape over the head would mean you have a waist right under your head??

Jules diamond
July 7th, 2010, 02:12 PM
I'd be about at jawline. My hair grows fast until it reaches APL.

pinkbunny
July 7th, 2010, 02:17 PM
If I shaved my head today, then 1 yr from now, I would still be bald - because I would immediately die of shock the moment I saw myself bald! lol

Reptilia
July 7th, 2010, 02:19 PM
I wish the original poster would come back, I want to know how she got her numbers and how fast her hair grows!

I don't hit waist until 30 inches, and at my 1/2 inch growth (if I'm lucky!) a month, it would take me 5 years to go from bald to waist :p

missjessiecakes
July 7th, 2010, 02:29 PM
I think she measured from the back of her head straight down or she has the tiniest head ever. I dont doubt the rate though. I've known people who get 2in in the cold months and close to three in summer months.

Reptilia
July 7th, 2010, 02:35 PM
I think she measured from the back of her head straight down or she has the tiniest head ever. I dont doubt the rate though. I've known people who get 2in in the cold months and close to three in summer months.

That could be it! I would still have 17 inches from nape to waist which is still nearly 3 years of growing time.

I WISH my hair grew 3 inches in a month! That would be amazing!

Sammich
July 7th, 2010, 02:49 PM
..im 5'2" and have a very high waist, but only the tip of my hair is full waist even at 28 inches. sorry, just not believing it..20 inches measuring your hair with the tape over the head would mean you have a waist right under your head??

My waist is at about 23, I'm 5,2. :p Dattebayo! ;) *Naruto nerd* :p :cheese:
My hair is fast growing too, (Or sometimes seems like it does ;) ) about 1 - 2 inches a month, and it probably is because of height influencing this too.

Yes I do measure from the back down. :p Gah, keep remeasuring my waist, LOL!

Rapunzal2Be
July 7th, 2010, 02:52 PM

I guess it isn't that I *don't believe you* but I am just really confused.

I'm 5'0" and my hair is 23 inches, and is not even to BSL yet. For me, waist is 32 inches (so a good foot longer than your estimate) and I just can't imagine someone who is taller than me having such a short torso as to have 20" hair reach waist.

My hair grows very unevenly throughout the year, with intervals of stalls and fast growth spurts, but it evens out to about 5" per year.

So at the rate I'm going now, it should take me about a year and a half to reach waist and I'm already below APL now.

So if I shaved my head right now, I'm guessing a year from now I'd have about 5" of very uneven hair. LOL

xoxophelia
July 7th, 2010, 03:05 PM
Honestly my guess is that you have measurements that aren't totally accurate and to be fair it is pretty difficult to get right every time. Even slightly tilting your head throws it off.

vanity_acefake
July 7th, 2010, 03:14 PM
Apparently hair grows fastest when you are young. The fastest being between the ages of 16 and 24 years of age. So Pandora is telling the truth and is very lucky but may find after she is 24 her hair growth will slow down. If i shaved my head (which i did when i was 23 and it felt lovely!) my hair now would grow at whatever length it grows per month (i am not actually sure) so in a year knowing my luck it would be about chin length.

jera
July 7th, 2010, 03:16 PM
Let me get this straight. You can gor from a shaved head to waist length in one year !!! :p All I can say is I wish I'd been born with your follicles. My hair grows at the average rate of 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch per month. Slow by comparison. :o

redneckprincess
July 7th, 2010, 03:34 PM
Wow that's amazing!! And lucky you..my hair grows avaragly at 1/2"-1" a month...if I were to shave my head bald today in one year I imagine the nape hairs would be almost BSL IF I got 1" EVERY month that year and I didn't trim.
My hair is 20" right now and only TOUCHING APL and I am 5'6". So I wonder just how you are measuring because if I measure from my nape insted of OVER my head from my front hairline, my hair is only about 7" because 20" would just about reach my waist..

I have been growing since my pixi cut in May of 08. With a total of ...:( sadly. About 7" trimmed off since then
I wish your secret was as simple as what conditioner you used...lol.
Enjoy your growth speed but just don't go through with the head shaving to prove it, lol

LadyJennifer
July 7th, 2010, 03:55 PM

Yeah, because my hair is at APL right now and is almost 22 inches. Even if I was 2 inches shorter (I'm 5'6") my waist would not be that high - 20 inches would be higher than APL!

OperaTeacherMom
July 7th, 2010, 03:58 PM
I'm guessing the 20" measurement is from the nape also, I am 5'2" and very short waisted and WL would still be 28" on me measured the LHC way. Measured from the nape it would be 19" though, so if that's where she's getting the number, I can understand it.

OP, that is some amazing growth! I can only wish and hope my hair will be at waist in a year, and mine is almost shoulder right now.

Pandora.
July 7th, 2010, 04:16 PM
Okay, so you want numbers? I'll give them to you.

At it's absolute best, may hair can possibly grow around 1.35 inches a month. After a year and 3 months, my hair would have grown around 20 inches (unless my maths is incorrect). Take into account that I said my hair would have reached waist length a little over a year, as opposed to a year in total. I believe I'm in the same position as Sammich; we both have rapid growing hair (as she has also mentioned that her hair grows 1-2 inches a month) and we're both a lot shorter than the average height. I consider us both to be pretty damn lucky, as we would hit waist length in no time. :)

I have measured from the very top of my head, and as I mentioned earlier, I have shorter body features (and I mean short EVERYTHING). I'm also small built, but I don't know if that has anything to do with it. It is not impossible, although you automatically think it is (because you've probably never heard or experienced anything like this). Just because something may not be the case for you, it might actually be for others. But hey, I've already explained myself, and I'm not stupid, so if some of you want to continue thinking "oh she's got it all wrong" then go ahead, because only I will know for myself. :)

LadyJennifer
July 7th, 2010, 04:38 PM
I don't question your hair grows fast, I question the waist at 20 inches. I did not know you measured from the back of your head, that makes a difference.

teela1978
July 7th, 2010, 04:44 PM
I don't question your hair grows fast, I question the waist at 20 inches. I did not know you measured from the back of your head, that makes a difference.
I think the point is that after you shave, if you measure the LHC way, once it starts to grow back you're already at the length of "nape". So you have total waist length measurement minus the forehead to nape measurement to grow out for your longest hairs to be at that length. That's about 20 inches on me even and I'm 5'8 :shrug:

chopandchange
July 7th, 2010, 04:47 PM
You're all so technical!

If you'll pardon the pun, this is all going right over my head! :D

Pandora.
July 7th, 2010, 05:09 PM
My head is starting to hurt as well...

From what I can remember, I measured from the very top of my head where my parting is, and at the bottom of my length was somewhere around 22" (unless I imagined the numbers or something - sarcasm :P).

LadyJennifer
July 7th, 2010, 05:19 PM
I think the point is that after you shave, if you measure the LHC way, once it starts to grow back you're already at the length of "nape". So you have total waist length measurement minus the forehead to nape measurement to grow out for your longest hairs to be at that length. That's about 20 inches on me even and I'm 5'8 :shrug:

If I measure from my forehead over, 20 inches is not even APL on me. My waist is a tad over 30 inches that way, so 10 inches farther/longer. Even an extremely short person (5'4" is not short) would not have 20 inches to waist measured that way.
My daughter (3 yr) is about 3.5 feet tall, and her waist is 20 inches measured from LHC way. This is why I was unbelieving. It's nothing personal, I'm just a very fact-based person.

teela1978
July 7th, 2010, 05:29 PM
If I measure from my forehead over, 20 inches is not even APL on me. My waist is a tad over 30 inches that way, so 10 inches farther/longer. Even an extremely short person (5'4" is not short) would not have 20 inches to waist measured that way.
My daughter (3 yr) is about 3.5 feet tall, and her waist is 20 inches measured from LHC way. This is why I was unbelieving. It's nothing personal, I'm just a very fact-based person.

Waist length, measured LHC style is about 32 inches on me. From my forehead to my nape is about 13. 32-13=19. Does that make sense to you? The longest hairs only have about 20 inches or so to grow to make it to waist length. There's nothing unfactual about this.

*Aoife*
July 7th, 2010, 06:08 PM
I'm not not believing you, I'm just confused. I'm at 23/24" and I'm not quite at BSL. I'm 5'2" and while my legs aren't that long, my torso isn't either.

Basing hair growth on your growth as a child isn't the bet way to measure. Children have much smaller bodies and a child with fast growth could easily make it from say, shoulder to tailbone, in a year. That would be reasonable for a child but almost impossible for a fully grown adult... In my honest opinion, anway. Others may disagree

littleflowerr
July 7th, 2010, 06:12 PM
Its not hard for me to believe your hair is growing fast. My cousin from from waist to tailbone within 3 months? not even! I was shocked but she does workout a lot and eat a lot healthier then i. She doesn't put oil or anything in her hair... she has naturally straight hair/sometimes a lil wavy. She uses whatever shampoo smellls nice and most days she has it down... ah wish i had genetics like that :) My hair grows about an inch a month though so i'm not complainin! :p

LadyJennifer
July 7th, 2010, 06:27 PM
Waist length, measured LHC style is about 32 inches on me. From my forehead to my nape is about 13. 32-13=19. Does that make sense to you? The longest hairs only have about 20 inches or so to grow to make it to waist length. There's nothing unfactual about this.

I wasn't referring to you, when I said the fact-based thing. I was referring to my original reply that you replied to. I was clarifying why I thought 20 inches to waist (LHC way of measuring) was anatomically impossible on a 5'4" person, I was not referring to hair growth at all. I think you misunderstood my reply. I am basically saying, unless someone is 3.5 feet tall there is no way their waist would be 20 inches from their forehead (measured LHC way). I am referring to anatomy, not hair growth.
But since the OP clarified how she measures, I no longer do not believe that her waist is 20 inches from the back of her head.

ravenreed
July 7th, 2010, 07:17 PM
I am exactly 5'4" and very short-waisted. If I measure from my nape hairs down to my waist, it is about 19". Thinking back to when I was a teen, my hair did grow faster than it does now, so I will go with the possibility that the OP's hair could grow that fast. My hair would have to grow over an inch and a half a month, with no stalls, to manage that in 12 months, and I don't believe that my hair ever grew that fast. But, okay, it's plausible.

melikai
July 7th, 2010, 07:26 PM
I think everyone was confused because the OP didn't make it clear that she was measuring from the back of her head, rather than the LHC way (or else it was missed when she did mention this).

20 inches of growth from the back of the head down in a year and 3 months is definitely plausible. Fast, to be sure - but plausible!

OP, you must have to redye your hair constantly! You're lucky to have such growth. :)

Nae
July 7th, 2010, 07:31 PM
Just popping in here to say, I have been watching Mythbusters all night long and everyone saying it is "plausible" is giving me a bad case of the giggles.

Pandora, hugs to you! It is awesome to have hair that grows so fast, please just don't shave it to prove anybody wrong cuz it is beautiful the way it is. (Kidding here, I know you wouldn't shave it!) Math is not my thing so I am not getting all tied up in the numbers, all I see is fast growing hair so you get a big, "You go girl!" from me!

yellowchariot
July 7th, 2010, 07:33 PM
I can get anywhere from .75" to 1" per month so. . . If I shaved my head now, then this time next year it would be around 9" to 12" :)

julliams
July 7th, 2010, 07:45 PM
Using the LHC measuring technique (starting at forehead hairline and over the back of the head) I just measured my very average height 11 year old who would be a very small adult (if she were an adult at this size) and waist on her is 27". 20" would not even be APL on her. Maybe the measuring method is different.

When I thought about it, if you measured waist as being a measurement from the nape of your neck, then with the OP's growth rate, the hairs growing from the nape of your neck would get to 20" wouldn't they? And 20" from the nape of your neck would get to about waist on many people right?

So my theory is that the OP is saying that the longest hairs (the ones at the nape of her neck) would get to 20" and from the nape of her neck, it would reach waist. Of course the rest of the hair would be layered and the hairs growing from the top of the forehead would not be at waist, but the ones at the nape, would.

Did I get it right?

christine1989
July 7th, 2010, 07:56 PM
Mine would be about 12 inches since it grows almost exactly 1 inch a month.

rachelily
July 7th, 2010, 08:48 PM
Definitely jealous, can I join your family and get in on these genes? :)

I am the opposite - I am extremely tall with a long neck and long torso and pretty much everything else, too, so it's gonna take me FOREVER to get to waist! But my hair just grows the standard 6" a year so a little more than a year let's say ... 9" (year and a half) so if I shaved my head today, in a year and a half my hair would be about shoulder length, I think (I don't have a tape measure with me I'm just guesstimating).

Shaving my head has always sounded appealing, to get to start over with brand new virgin hair. I'd love to see how my hair texture differs when virgin, since mine had previously been straightened for 5 years before calling it quits and letting it curl finally. But I feel like it would have been curlier if the heat hadn't damaged the interior of the hair shaft and broken the bonds that cause hair to curl the way it does. I don't know if I'd have the patience though! :P

slythwolf
July 7th, 2010, 09:06 PM
I just want to say--5'4" is not short. I don't know why everyone seems to think of it as short. The average woman in the US is 5'4" tall, the average woman in the UK is 5'3 1/2" tall. I realize that it is around the top cutoff for many clothing lines' petite ranges, but that is a conceit of the fashion industry and not reality.

LuXious
July 7th, 2010, 09:28 PM

I'm 5'3" and 20" is shoulder length on me.

redneckprincess

Just wanted to say HI from Mich too!!

To OP: I MORE then believe you
My measurements to where my longest nape hairs would aprox. Be in 1 year from shaved (not to mention plus a few extra months) w/o trimming are as follows (IF I were getting 1" of growth per month...(Which I do NOT :( )

From NAPE: *12". (Waist is *18")
Top of head: *19.5". (Waist is *22.5)
LHC way: *26". (Waist is *31.5)
(Apromixate)

And again I'm 5'6" tall with a long torso

chipzahoy
Pandora, I'm super jealously jellin' for that type of hair growth! Your lineage stats are very cool, also.

Charlotte:)
July 7th, 2010, 10:00 PM

Dang I am soooo jealous! Mine would probably only be shoulder length. Are you going to grow it out to terminal length? With hair that grows so quickly, you could be the next Rapunzel! :)

Qadupae
July 7th, 2010, 10:12 PM
That's an awesome growth rate Pandora ^_^ I used to have a friend who had growth rate like that, so I can definitely believe you since I used to see it constantly. Seriously, she would cut it to a bob and go on vacation somewhere and when she came back, her hair would be shoulder. I was sooo envious ^_^ It was nice for her though because she loved experimenting on her hair and that meant any mistakes she made would grow out fast.

As for me, I have shaved and then grow and although I trimmed it a bit, I think I would hit under a bob at the end of a year if I was lucky that year ^_^

OperaTeacherMom
July 7th, 2010, 11:52 PM
Ok I'm still confused...Pandora, how exactly are you measuring? Parting your hair in the middle and measuring down one side? Measuring from the end of the part in the back down? The LHC way which is from your front hairline, over the top of your head, and down to the longest part?

invisiblebabe
July 8th, 2010, 12:02 AM
I just want to say--5'4" is not short. I don't know why everyone seems to think of it as short. The average woman in the US is 5'4" tall, the average woman in the UK is 5'3 1/2" tall. I realize that it is around the top cutoff for many clothing lines' petite ranges, but that is a conceit of the fashion industry and not reality.

You beat me to it :) My mom is 5'4.5" and while I tease her and say she is short, she knows I'm not serious... I just mean that she is considerably shorter than I am ;)

Maybe people think of it as short because there are a lot of really tall people around? Like, I have a lot of male friends who are over 6', and a handful of them are 6'4" or above. I don't know... haha

Quezie
July 8th, 2010, 12:08 AM
Using the LHC measuring technique (starting at forehead hairline and over the back of the head) I just measured my very average height 11 year old who would be a very small adult (if she were an adult at this size) and waist on her is 27". 20" would not even be APL on her. Maybe the measuring method is different.

When I thought about it, if you measured waist as being a measurement from the nape of your neck, then with the OP's growth rate, the hairs growing from the nape of your neck would get to 20" wouldn't they? And 20" from the nape of your neck would get to about waist on many people right?

So my theory is that the OP is saying that the longest hairs (the ones at the nape of her neck) would get to 20" and from the nape of her neck, it would reach waist. Of course the rest of the hair would be layered and the hairs growing from the top of the forehead would not be at waist, but the ones at the nape, would.

Did I get it right?

When I first read the OP's post I was totally confused. :disbelief

But this does make sense.

Debra83
July 8th, 2010, 12:22 AM
I'm 5'5 1/4" tall. When I was pregnant and nursing, I, twice, grew my hair from shoulder to waist in less than nine months. Both times. It was awesome. Since starting here, I've trimmed my hair lots (see sig pic words) and cut it once. I would definitely be waist by now, but it is definitely taking a longer time to grow than it did back then. From another thread, (the pulling the hair thread), I realized it may not have anything to do with pregnancy, because at that time I wore my hair in braids and ponytails a lot, and I haven't done that through this growing to waist attempt. Yet!

OP? Do you remember wearing your hair in braids or ponytails a lot when you were little and it grew that fast for you? Or, was it always loose?

jera
July 8th, 2010, 01:25 AM
If I shaved my head today, then 1 yr from now, I would still be bald - because I would immediately die of shock the moment I saw myself bald! lol

Those are exactly my feelings re: shaved heads. shudder:

Pandora.
July 8th, 2010, 04:51 AM
I didn't measure it that LHC way, but I measured from the very top of my head where my parting is (as I've mentioned many times). Another method I used was plucking one whole single hair out. It might just be the way my hair falls or something, I don't know.

Still, even if I did decide to shave my head and prove some of you wrong (:p) I'm certain my hair would be long by any standards in 15-16 months or so.

And yes, I have to touch up my roots very frequently. I only just had my roots done a week ago; give it a few more weeks and they'll be looking bad again. :p

EDIT: To the poster who asked if I wore braids when I was younger; I very rarely wore my hair in protective styles. I either wore it in a high ponytail, or I wore it down.

hmmm
July 8th, 2010, 05:45 AM
It is not impossible, although you automatically think it is (because you've probably never heard or experienced anything like this). Just because something may not be the case for you, it might actually be for others.

I'm going to be cheeky and call you on this. I vote you shave your head and show us progress pics - or it didn't happen! :D

Pandora.
July 8th, 2010, 06:06 AM
Haha, I'm tempted to do that actually - but I value my hair too much.

Drynwhyl
July 8th, 2010, 06:23 AM
Well, I do have a friend whose hair grew from shoulder to tailbone in about a year and a half- BUT she had two trims, around 4-5 inches every time. So yes, some people's hair just grows like crazy.
And she doesn't even appreciate it. *sob*

beez1717
July 8th, 2010, 06:28 AM
It has been about a year of growth for me and I am at apl. So I guess that going bald means a long long long wait for me.

Rapunzal2Be
July 8th, 2010, 07:33 AM
I didn't measure it that LHC way, but I measured from the very top of my head where my parting is (as I've mentioned many times). Another method I used was plucking one whole single hair out. It might just be the way my hair falls or something, I don't know.

Still, even if I did decide to shave my head and prove some of you wrong (:p) I'm certain my hair would be long by any standards in 15-16 months or so.

And yes, I have to touch up my roots very frequently. I only just had my roots done a week ago; give it a few more weeks and they'll be looking bad again. :p

EDIT: To the poster who asked if I wore braids when I was younger; I very rarely wore my hair in protective styles. I either wore it in a high ponytail, or I wore it down.

If you have a growth rate of about 1.35" then yes, absolutely, I don't think anyone here would question that you'll be to about waist length in a little over a year.

I think what is getting people caught up is not so much the amazing growth rate (lucky you, by the way!!!) but the measuring technique you are using. You obviously have every right to measure however you want, it's just that most members measure from the hairline on their forehead with the measuring tape going over their head and down their back. This gives a (more) consistent measure than putting the tape at at the top of your head.

So I think when you say that 20" is waist for you, it is really throwing people off. I'm sure no harm is meant in us asking for clarification.

Well, I think it's fantastic that your hair grows so quickly! For me, it would take many years to get to waist from a shaved head!!!

dropinthebucket
July 8th, 2010, 02:26 PM
A little bit of an inflammatory thread here - i don't cry foul, but ... it is a bit rubbing us slow-growers noses in it. Good for you your hair grows so fast, anyway. :)

ButterCream
July 8th, 2010, 03:33 PM
Wow, that is a LOT of growth! Lucky you!! :agape:
No wonder you have to touch up your roots so often!

My hair are growing, at the veeeery most, 0,5 inch a month.
So if I went bald today I wouldn`t have much hair in a year or litle more.
(can`t do math now, to late in the day, zzzZZz...:o)

embee
July 8th, 2010, 05:17 PM
Serious hair growth envy here. It took me *years* to get to waist, and I had no trims and wore my hair up every day. Like 10 years. Sigh.

I measured from my nape to my waist and it is 19 or 20 inches which is probably 5 years of growth. From the evening I joined LHC it took me 2+ years to grow back the 8 inches I chopped off during the day right before I found this place.

Sniff. (mutter, envy, whimper) Durn wimpy hair growth genes...

RachelRain
July 8th, 2010, 07:10 PM
Wow, I just actually had a twinge of jealousy. lol.

Just over a year ago I got my hair caught in hot wax and had to lop off 8 inches. It's still not quite where it was at before, so I'd have to say I can grow about 6" a year.

That being said, when I was in high school I know it grew a LOT faster... but that may be because I ate pasta constantly. I have this suspicion that carbs are really good for your hair. Like, REALLY good.

So, 6" - I would assume that'd be about chin length? Ew. I've tried that, horrific look on me :)

Edit: forehead to the back? Ack, that's not how I measure my hair, because even if I brush it, my hair doesn't do that. It goes straight from the part down the sides, so I measure it from the part down that side. Now I'm curious how much extra inches that's gonna add.

marla
July 8th, 2010, 08:45 PM
I have been at APL for about a year. Seriously, my hair has completely stopped growing in the back (the front grows a little faster). I know you have genetics in your favor, but can you share your routine, what products you use, diet, etc?

Debra83
July 8th, 2010, 09:23 PM

Thanks for answering my question! It's not that I was thinking the styles were "protecting" your hair, but according to that "faster growth by pulling on your hair" thread (or whatever it is really called...), they say that by the gentle pulling of it, it grows faster. I'm going to try to wear more High Ponytails, and High Braids for the month of July (or should I say for the rest of the month of July because it is going quickly already!! :D

marla
July 8th, 2010, 09:28 PM
Thanks for answering my question! It's not that I was thinking the styles were "protecting" your hair, but according to that "faster growth by pulling on your hair" thread (or whatever it is really called...), they say that by the gentle pulling of it, it grows faster. I'm going to try to wear more High Ponytails, and High Braids for the month of July (or should I say for the rest of the month of July because it is going quickly already!! :D

Woah, can you point me to this "faster growth by pulling on your hair" thread? Because when I was in high school I used to do this and my hair seemed to grow faster, but then my friends said I was crazy and it would damage my hair, and I stopped. Does this really work?

Debra83
July 8th, 2010, 09:31 PM
Woah, can you point me to this "faster growth by pulling on your hair" thread? Because when I was in high school I used to do this and my hair seemed to grow faster, but then my friends said I was crazy and it would damage my hair, and I stopped. Does this really work?

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=50605

Here's the link!!! Happy reading!!! :D

wasf1675
July 8th, 2010, 09:43 PM
With hair as curly as mine is and considering I'm 5'11" tall, getting to waist length would take an eternity! Curly it would probably reach my ears, straight my nape.