PDA

View Full Version : dry hair ends from wet to dry straightener!! help!!

Mariah!!
July 6th, 2010, 11:23 PM
I am so sad!! i notices a couple days ago that my hair was very dry at the last few inches. well my hair hasnt felt that way in a long time. i think i figured it out.... last week i was going to the vew twighlight premier and i went for a walk before hand with a friend. it downpored while we were walking and we had little time to redo our hair and makeup. so i regretably used her wet to dry striaghtener. :boohoo:

i am schedualed for a trim next week. how much should i have trimmed? i dont wanna lose my length!! :( is there a better way to fix my dry ends? its not split ended or dotted with white yet. is there something i can do ?? HELP!!:confused:

OperaTeacherMom
July 6th, 2010, 11:27 PM
Have you tried oiling? Or doing an SMT?

christine1989
July 6th, 2010, 11:33 PM
The steam from the flat iron probobly sucked the moisture right out of your hair but since this was a one time occurance your hair will probobly recover. Before you chop off too much of your ends try oiling- I like a castor/coconut mixture. I usually let my ends soak in it for an hour then wash it out and my ends are instantly moisturized.

Mariah!!
July 7th, 2010, 09:56 AM
i did an smt last night and this morning it is still a little dry. but no i havent oiled yet.

Ferine
July 7th, 2010, 04:09 PM
I was having an issue with straw like ends, and someone suggested that I put conditioner on them as a leave in. I think she said she did it right out of the shower, I did it dry and it made the ends just a silky as the rest of the hair!
Worked beautifully, and I didn't have to hack 1" off the ends!!

Anje
July 7th, 2010, 04:11 PM
Maybe try using some shea butter conditioning cream? Nightblooming Panacea? I think some heavy conditioning and oil will help at least to a degree. Give them some babying before you automatically trim them.

Next time, don't boil the water out of your hair!

Kathie
July 7th, 2010, 04:22 PM
I really donít think you've done any irreversible damage, because it was only once and it was only last week. Like christine1989 said, the heat from the straightener probably just removed a lot of moisture from the hair.

My ends are feeling pretty good these days after a good year of straightening twice a week on top of bleaching, it just takes a bit of time.

My advice would be a deep condition or oiling, more so than you would normally so that your ends look oily. Then tuck them away in an updo. Youíll be surprised how much moisture your hair will drink up when it needs to.

triumphator!
July 7th, 2010, 05:31 PM
Was it the Conair kind that makes funny beeps when you leave it plugged in? My hair bounced back pretty quickly after using that for six months or so. Just be sure to baby the ends, I doubt it's permanently damaged and I don't think you'll need to chop it off.

JenniferNoel
July 7th, 2010, 06:14 PM
Oil it like crazy, it should bounce back. Don't resort to cutting just yet I'd say, try cracking out another SMT and see what happens. Good luck!

Dragon
July 7th, 2010, 06:27 PM
Oiling and leave in conditioner. Don't resort to cutting yet.

Bluegrass Babe
July 7th, 2010, 08:31 PM
Chiming in to add:
1. oil ends like mad before a wash
2. aloe vera gel them after washing (but not when they are drippy)
3. conditioner as a leave-in after gel has absorbed

x0h_bother
July 7th, 2010, 08:38 PM
If your hair is just dry and not dotted or split, you may be in the clear from trimming a lot, but I will warn you that if you do flat iron your hair more, especially wet, you may see some dots in the near future. Personally, my ends are rough and not trimmed and I flat iron once a month. My solution has been leave in spray right out of the shower- not perfect but a temporary fix. GL! x0

UltraBella
July 8th, 2010, 12:58 AM
Wet/dry straighteners are the worst. I just can't handle the thought of putting something that hot on fragile wet hair.
The suggestions for oiling or deep conditioning treatments are great. Your ends won't instantly be cured, but you may find that in a few weeks they feel wonderful. If not, I suggest a small trim to start.