PDA

View Full Version : What hemline produces the best buns?

restourceful
July 6th, 2010, 04:05 PM
I'm trying to decide if I want to begin trimming for a more blunt hemline or keep some layers. Yet I don't want to lose the ability to do a lot of different buns. I've read that some people have more success bunning with tapered or layered or fairytale ends. But there are lots of people with blunt hemlines who make gorgeous buns. So I have a few questions.
If you've had both types of hemlines which do you prefer for buns?
What are the pros and cons of each type of hemline?
And are there some buns which just can't be done with a particular type of hemline?Thanks everyone!

JenniferNoel
July 6th, 2010, 04:32 PM
My hair has always bunned better with shallower hemlines versus tapered V's and fairytales, simply because all of the ends do the same thing versus sticking out of the styles in odd places. Just speaking of experience really. Then again those with incredibly thick hair may find it easier to handle with layers/taper.

Laululintu
July 6th, 2010, 04:36 PM
My hair tapers a little naturally, so keep that in mind when considering my opinions :) At the moment my hair's natural taper is enhanced with some very long layers.

Personally, I prefer tapered ends for tucking into buns, as they don't add as much bulk. However, I was still perfectly able to bun my hair when the ends were blunter.

MissManda
July 6th, 2010, 04:49 PM
I will be watching this thread since I'm considering trimming to a more blunt hemline as well.

Cleopatra18
July 6th, 2010, 04:57 PM
I have v shape with dozens of layers and in buns or braids my ends always stick out,i totaly dont recommend it.

moominhapa
July 6th, 2010, 04:59 PM
I had an inch trimmed a couple of months ago to even out my layers a little. I would say it made bunning a little easier because now not as much hair stuck out in random places, but on the other hand, my hair has also gotten longer, so that could be another factor. I'm going to keep growing out my layers because I feel like they're a little bit raggedy, but once all my ends are even and healthy I might get long layers cut in again. I'm not sure yet, but I really like the look of layers when hair is worn down.

Restourceful, I think your hair looks beautiful with layers! They really work with your waves. Maybe if some of your short layers are bothering you when you try to put your hair up, you can work toward just having some longer layers.

Crackaleen
July 6th, 2010, 05:00 PM
I have always had a very blunt hemline until the last time I got my hair cut. The stylist asked me if I wanted to do a U shape with some slight layering and I thought "What the heck." It's a year later now and I still can't do a clean bun to save my life. :rolleyes: Oh well.

Roseate
July 6th, 2010, 05:03 PM
It may depend on your circumference- my hair is on the thick side, and some layering at the ends makes it easier for me to tuck them into a bun. There's a fine line, though- if the layers are in more than the last 3" or so of my hair, it gets to be too much and I get them sticking out of the bun like a hedgehog.

ETA: I forgot the pros and cons!
Pro layers: I like the way they work with my waves. They take a bit of the weight off and make the wurls wurl better.
Con layers: You need a good hairstylist. All layers are not created equal, and bad layers are awful!

Pro blunt: It looks more impressive, LHC-style, to have that thick, blunt hemline. My hair looks thicker, and I have thick hair, so it gets pretty serious with a blunt hem.
Con blunt: Because of my thickness, relatively short length and waves, a blunt hemline makes me prone to triangle-head. It works better for me at longer lengths.

And the one bun I really couldn't do with a blunt hem was a plain, single-strand cinnabun. Whatever side I pushed the ends under would pop up and look all lopsided and awful.

bumblebums
July 6th, 2010, 05:04 PM
I'd be curious to see what people say. My impression was that pretty much everything other than layers works well, but I am sure it depends on how thick one's hair is.

ibleedlipstick
July 6th, 2010, 05:47 PM
I have superfine hair, but lots of it, and a blunt hemline has always produced better buns for me, especially when it was longer.

restourceful
July 9th, 2010, 07:24 AM
I'm terribly sorry, everyone, for asking a question and then going AWOL. But life has been busier than usual the last couple of days. We now return you to our regularly scheduled thread, already in progress.

Cleopatra, I have exactly the same problem. I feel your pain.

Thank you, moominhapa! :flowers: I'm starting to think length makes as much difference as shape of hemline, too. Mine is longer than it has ever been, even after a half inch trim last month, and I'm just starting to be able to do some buns without so many stickie-outies. Your hair is lovely and so shiny! :sun:

Crackaleen, I'm sorry you're still having so much trouble! I think it'll be several years before my layers are not so far apart in lengths. And your hair is longer than mine so I would have thought you'd be able to do clean buns now. But then again your hair is a good bit thicker than mine, too. So now I'm starting to think thickness, length, and hemline shape all play a part. BTW, you have some seriously gorgeous hair! :thud:

Roseate, I think you've hit the nail on the head (no pun intended), that the depth of hemline makes the difference. Your updos all look so polished and neat. I'm green with envy! And I love the vintage looking frenchy with the side twists. Beautiful!

Thanks for your responses everyone! :flowers: Your advice and experiences have been very helpful. I think my plan now is to trim the longest layers away gradually as I gain more length, but leave some when the shortest layers are only about 3" from the longest. This should help me avoid too many stickie-outies while not having too much bun bulk at the ends. Happy growing and bunning!

redneckprincess
July 9th, 2010, 08:24 AM
Great thread,, I do wonder that myself since my hair is starting to get to "bun length" my hair and hemline are very thick,blunt and wavy and a bit layered

ericthegreat
July 9th, 2010, 09:48 AM
It really depends on the thickness and texture of your hair. Generally speaking, a deep U-shaped hemline would be the best kind of hemline to choose if you want to be able to easily tuck in your buns.

However, if you have very thin or fine hair say you are only a i in thickness, you really might able to have both a one length cut and still be able to do neat buns.

If you have very thick and coarse hair, you might well need a V-shaped hemline. Very thick and coarse hair has a lot of bulk obviously, and its best to thin out and taper the ends so that the ends will be a lot easier to tuck in when you are coiling them into the bun you are forming.

Anje
July 9th, 2010, 10:14 AM
I tend to think that blunt hemlines are better than layered for buns (and braids!) simply because they don't suffer from chunks of ends that want to stick out. I've heard from those who have them that fairlytail ends are also really nice for bunning, because they tuck in under the bun particularly well compared to blunt ends, but don't tend to have the chunks of hair sticking out that cut-in layers have. My own hair tapers considerably (though I think that's improving -- buns are gaining diameter while I maintain length!), so I get some of the tuckability even with blunt ends.

restourceful
July 9th, 2010, 12:03 PM
Eric, I'm a ii leaning toward iii and think I might actually end up being iii once my shortest layers get enough length to be incorporated well into a pony.

Anje, part of me wanting to have a more blunt hemline is for more impressive braids without so much taper and stickie-outies. But like I told Eric, my hair might be a good bit thicker once my shorter layers grow. Best I can remember, when it was all one length it was much thicker than it is now.

Thanks to both of you for your input! :flowers:

mhiap
July 9th, 2010, 01:25 PM
I used to have a straight hemline, now I have a U shape. I like how the U shape looks down but for buns, it's no good IMO. I find buns are more annoying to do now because the ends all stick out, next time I trim I will be doing a straight hemline. My braids also looked better with a straight hemline.