PDA

View Full Version : Curls go flat, stat!

got2pals
July 6th, 2010, 10:16 AM
Sorry, cheezy post title. I have been trying to curl my fine, wavy hair. It doesn't even hold its own wave well. I tried rag curls on dry hair overnight. Got a head-full of fabulous curls which went flat in 5 minutes. Darn! Tried the same with wet hair. Got curly frizz that won't last a few hours.
I'm not big into styling products (more the smell than anything) -- must I go there in order to get curls?
I know mousse doesn't help. I have a steam roller set -- does that work better? I rarely use it. Curling irons (back in the 90s!) last for a bit with hairspray, but I dare not do that these days.
Should those of us whose hair won't hold a curl or much of anything just stop trying to fool mother nature?

curlylocks85
July 11th, 2010, 05:52 PM
My aunt has similar hair and she could not, for the life of her, keep any kind of wave or curl in her hair. She once had it professionally done and within a half hour there was no evidence of her hair ever being curled.

I realize I am not much help, but at least you know there are others who are in the same boat.

Lielananna
July 11th, 2010, 06:06 PM
My hair doesn't hold curl well either. I once tried to get a perm done when I was younger and it fell out within a week. The only thing that works on my hair is to use hot curlers on damp hair and then let your hair dry all the way with them in. It takes forever and I just gave up and embrace the straight now. Sorry I'm not much help :(

HikerTrash
July 11th, 2010, 06:33 PM
I'm going to vote for stop trying to fool mother nature. The last time my hair held a curl I was 16 years old. I'm 45 now. I can enjoy bun waves or whatever for a few hours, but otherwise, unless it's a dent that I don't want at all, it's gone quickly.

ninelifewriter5
July 11th, 2010, 09:34 PM
I feel your pain completely. When I wash my hair (or even just wet it, really) it has loose curls that eventually strech out to waves when it dries. When it's fully dry they hold for about an hour, and then over the day they fall flatter until they get really loose. Rag curls, pin curls, nothing holds on me. My hair even defies hair spray.

Product doesn't generally work for fine hair anyway, because it weighs it down.

Sorry I'm not help, but thought I'd let you know that you're not alone. And I refuse to let mother nature win. :P

spidermom
July 11th, 2010, 09:38 PM
One thing very important, never comb or brush through curls. You can separate them and arrange with fingers, but the more you mess with them, the quicker they fall out.

Hope that helps.

countryhopper
July 11th, 2010, 11:08 PM
I have the same problem! I used curlformers for the first time last night, and this morning they looked super bouncy and curly when I took them out. within 5 minutes they started drooping, and drooping, and died.

I'm guessing the humidity right now has a lot to do with it. :shrug:

Milui Elenath
July 12th, 2010, 02:15 AM
One thing very important, never comb or brush through curls. You can separate them and arrange with fingers, but the more you mess with them, the quicker they fall out.

Hope that helps.

:agree: Yes this. Being a straightie I never knew that I shouldn't brush them out until LHC.

But as others have said I also have trouble keeping curl, had a perm for a week etc etc. I do find the rag curls the best for maintaining curls that last about 6 hours, maybe 8, maybe!

My hair must be wet and then allowed to completely dry. Then I don't touch it except to arrange. I never had sucess with curling wands, heat rollers or bendies.

alwayssmiling
July 12th, 2010, 02:35 AM
My sisters hair is the same. She has thick wavy hair, but curls don't last beyond the hour. From someone with wavy/curly hair who would love poker straight hair, I have learnt not to pick a fight with mother nature. I'm assuming you have already tried plopping/scrunching your natural waves whilst it air dries??

I have heard that old fashioned setting lotion does help a lot to hold curls but i'm not sure how gentle this stuff is on the hair. I guess that the less styling products used on your hair the better for its health. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Lemur_Catta
July 12th, 2010, 02:51 AM
My hair doesn't hold any kind of curl for more than 1 hour. I only had a half success with small bee butt buns all over my head, but the curls went straight in two hours :P
One day I asked my sister to show me how to curl my hair with a flatiron. She showed me how to do that on her own hair, then I tried on my own, and my hair just wouldn't curl.
I called my sister who assumed I was doing something wrong, but then she tried and my hair would just lay straight.
I think I will get my hair curled professionally some time, but I don't think I will ever attempt this again at home.

Surprisingly though, my hair holds braid waves very well.

I am sorry if this is not useful :D Can you try going to a hairdresser to have your hair curled, and then ask her how you can do the same thing at home?
My guess would be you would have to curl your hair wet (I mean REALLY wet not just damp) and then allow it to dry completely, which could take up to 2 days without an external source of heat, like the sun or something like this (http://www.crazyart-milano.com/public/20060414163240.jpg)...I don't know how it's called in English :)