PDA

View Full Version : Yuko hair straightening

jane01
July 6th, 2010, 09:08 AM
Ok, in February this year I got my hair permanently straightened through Japanese yuko hair straightening because my hair was too curly and frizzy to straighten every day and so I thought getting yuko done would stop me damaging my hair on a daily basis. My only problem is that recently I went into a fitting room to try on clothes in a fashion shop and the mirrors were angled so you could see yourself from the back, and to my horror I noticed that I could see a parting all down the back of my head and my hair looked very thin and unhealthy!
I want to get my hair lustrous and full again but I don't think I'm doing enough. I've been drinking water like mad, I have a healthy diet already, I take multivitamins, I exercise and eat quite a lot. I use cobnut and olive oil creams on my hair all the time and I deep condition once a week. Plus I sleep on a silk pillow case and always clip my hair up in a bun. I don't know what more to do, any ideas people? P.s. It's not because of genetics because my hair used to be naturally thick plus my hair is half African half english

kabelaced
July 6th, 2010, 09:45 AM
If your hair was healthy but frizzy before you had it chemically straightened, and now thin and unhealthy afterwards, I would think the straightening is the culprit...:(

squiggyflop
July 6th, 2010, 10:58 AM
hmm has your pony circumference changed.. because when my hair is straightened it looks thinner

Dragon
July 6th, 2010, 08:20 PM
I also agree that if your hair was healthy befor the straightening, that could be what has done it. And straightened hair does look thinner.

xoxophelia
July 6th, 2010, 08:49 PM
It could be partly that because your hair is part african it is thinner that the normal asian hair where this was developed (doesn't handle the process as well). By thinner I mean the individual hair strands. Also possible would be that you had previous damage that made your hair too fragile for this.

I had this done to my hair as well six years ago but with absolutely no noticable damage. I would suggest if you ever decide to do it again perhaps go to another salon and see if that makes a difference... but, you might just want to grow out the treated sections of hair.

Doing protective updos and regular trims is what a lot of people do when growing out damage (I have a lot myself but I mostly just try to be gentle).

GRU
July 6th, 2010, 09:47 PM
Hair doesn't repair itself -- damaged is damaged, and it will continue to be damaged until you grow it out and cut it off. You can have your future growth be healthier, but nothing will rebuild what has already been damaged.

If your 2a hair is "frizzy" then you can try healthy ways to tame the frizz -- CO-washing, deep-conditioning, oiling, not brushing/combing, etc. Using blow-fryers, straightening irons, and/or chemical straighteners/relaxers is not conducive to healthy-looking hair. If my 3b/3c hair can be tamed without using heat or harsh chemicals, I'm thinking that you can find something that will work for your 2a hair.