PDA

View Full Version : What to do about this thin, frail hair? Help!

Eolan
July 6th, 2010, 08:52 AM
Okay, so my hair has thinned out. Alot. My ends, IMO, does not look good.

This is the longest hair I've ever had. When I had long hair before I think I got to BSL, I then normally got tired of it and cut it of. But now I really want to grow my hair long (tailbone, at least) and I'm starting to think that it's just not going to happen.

A couple of weeks ago I braided my sisters hair. My sister has very blond hair (natural color) to BSL, maybee a little longer. It's thick. I'ts healthy. It's strong. It looks great. My hair used to be just like hers, just darker. And I used to bleach it, straighten it, thin it with sissors, you name it. And my hair just kept on groing, strong, thick and healthy.

This thinning thing has gotten really bad the last six months, I think. Have not stressed more than usual, have not been sick, have not changed anything drastically. The only thing I can think of is I gave up cones about a year ago. Although I like beeing conefree in many ways, I'm starting to think that maybee I need them for strenght. My hair feels frail. That is new to me.

Met my friend for lunch today. She's a hair dresser, and she trimmed my hair like a month ago. Took of about one centimetre. Now I asked her honest opinion about it, and she said: "What do you want me to say? The ends are really thin! It wouldn't hurt to cut of some ten centimetres." When I look at it in the mirror, I think she's right. Maybee I need to cut of even moore.

So now what? I won't be able to have hair longer than BSL?

Should I cut it?
Go back to cones?
Henna?
Cassia? (Just got some in the mail, btw.)

I want to have long hair, but I want it to look good. To me, at this point, it does not.

The pictures are crappy, but those are the ones I got for now. And my hair looks better on them than in real life. They are in my album (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=5818).

All opionions appreciated. Sorry about the long rant.

ChloeDharma
July 6th, 2010, 09:08 AM
I really do sympathise! We seem to be in similar positions.
The only thing i can suggest is keeping your hair up and out of harms way most of the time, gentle handling, a decent multi vitamin and mineral supplement, henna/cassia treatments, yogurt treatments.....you could try scalp oiling with castor oil.
If you do manage to thicken up your length i'd love to hear how!
Good luck :flower:

Eolan
July 6th, 2010, 09:23 AM
Thanks, dear. I promise to post my eventual success here. I wear it up most of the time, but I have been braiding it alot, and then put the braid up. Maybee buns would be better, if I'd get my hair to stay in them... I use Jojoba and Almond oil, Urtekram Nettle Shampoo and Urtekram Aloe Vera Condishioner. Starting to dubt this more natural regimen.

Also, my hair got bleached last summer, wich I think adds to my ends beeing tattered. I was like, "YAY, Spain! Sun, sand and sea!" Yeah.

Blah, I need ice cream.

spidermom
July 6th, 2010, 09:25 AM
Did you grow for a long time without trimming? If so, your ends may gradually become thicker if you get regular small trims.

If you have been getting regular trims, the thinning may be because of how your hair grows. For some people, it seems that the majority of hairs do not grow for very many years before they shed out, therefore those hairs don't have time to get very long. The longest hairs represent the few that you have with a longer life cycle.

I don't know of any way to re-set your follicles other than optimizing your health in other ways - getting enough exercise and rest, drinking enough water, eating a healthy diet that gives you the protein, vitamins, and minerals that you need.

I don't think that cones will help. For a lot of people, they make hair appear even thinner. Cassia might help. Don't try henna unless you want red-orange hair (which goes more burgandy with repeated applications).

I hope you find a way to enjoy your hair.

Eolan
July 6th, 2010, 09:41 AM
Well, I sort of did grow for a long time with very few trims. Think I trimmed once this year, and twice last year. Might have been one or two more, but I don't think so... So, yes, that could be a part of it. The irony is I didn't think I needed to trim more often, nor did my hair dresser.

I have a fairly balanced diet, I exercise and take supplements. I know cones are bad for many people in many ways, but my hair never ever felt thin when I used them.

Will try a cassia/shikakai treatment and hope that will give some effect.

Thank you for your input, spidermom. I'm sure all of you on this forum will make me happy about my hair again, eventually.

got2pals
July 6th, 2010, 10:10 AM
My 2 cents worth: I have fine hair too. Sometimes the ends really just seem to disappear. When it gets that way, I get it "wet" with olive oil, leave it in for a while, and wash it out twice (soap before water on the first wash). Voila, my ends reappear! With fine hair, especially "stressed hair" from sun and fun, etc. you get snapping/breakage and tangles leading to more breakage -- am I right? There's a good article in the "articles" section on whether your hair needs protein or moisture and how to tell. Good place to start.
About the snapping off of end-hair though, just a dab of "cone" can really smooth down the hair shaft so you don't get as much breakage and hair loss. You might have a conditioner that works well for this already. A tiny dab of oil helps detangle too, if you're really anti-cone. It seems to me that I really need to get my hair detangled or more falls out and it breaks more and for me, this means sometimes I must use some cones. One trick I learned here is to condition my hair and then comb it very, very gently in the shower with a wide-toothed comb. Then squeeze it dry. Very little hair loss, and very little tangle or snapping. Love it. Good luck.

haibane
July 6th, 2010, 10:13 AM
Since no one has mentioned it yet, you might want to get your thyroid levels checked, just to be sure that's not a factor.

Other than that, your hair sounds a bit similar to mine. I found catnip soaks helps a lot with breaking and splits:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=476

And I went cone free for about a week, but my hair felt so fragile it scared me.
I found that even with the lighter, water soluble cones, like amodimethicone, my hair still felt fragile, so now I'm slathering a conditioner with dimethicone (Wella Normal) on my length once every three or four washes. Regular washes I CO the length, usually with amodimethicone conditioner (Fructis Nordic Hair). This way I don't get any buildup, and my hair feels very smooth and protected.
The dimethicone does make my hair a bit stringier, but for now I'll live with that in exchange for the extra protection.

spidermom
July 6th, 2010, 12:31 PM
One thing that trimming does is hold the fastest growing hairs back a bit so that slower growing hairs have a chance to catch up. This will result in thicker ends. Of course you want to minimize damage as well so that your ends aren't breaking off.

teela1978
July 6th, 2010, 12:37 PM
I think cones were helping to protect your ends. Couldn't hurt to go back to some moderate cone usage... I'm pretty pro cone though :)

xoxophelia
July 6th, 2010, 01:01 PM
You said in your post that your hair used to be thick at BSL where as now it looks like the thinning happens above BSL. When you started to grow your hair to waist was it at or above bra strap length?

If it was a ways above it would indicate to me that the problem could be speed growing. But otherwise, while it might contribute it seems like there would be something else going on.

Perhaps mechanical damage, not using cones anymore, or thinning hair from a medical condition. Can you tell if your hair is also thinner at the scalp? Has your ponytail circumference gone down a lot? Or is it just the taper that is worse?

spidermom
July 6th, 2010, 01:04 PM
I'm pro-cone, too, because such products help so much with combing out tangles. You might try a tiny bit of coney serum rather than shampoo and conditioner that contain it because then you can control exactly how much you use and where it goes. See if it helps.

Darkhorse1
July 6th, 2010, 03:24 PM
I think there are many variables.
For start, your sister's hair may take after a different member of your family--hence she can do more to it---also, age has a huge factor in regards to growing hair.

But, I know what it feels like to not want to lose length. I'm lucky I have a lot of hair. But, I did have to lose about 2 inches 3 months ago because micro trims weren't making my ends look healthy. I was delighted with the results.

As Spidermom said, hair doesn't grow evenly. So, hairs that shed will re-grow in with new growth, but it'll take time to 'catch up' with the longer hairs. My hair dresser said that with my hair, my ends are about 50% less than my scalp due to the regrowth, and this is common with people with super long hair. Ever since I did the big trim, I've noticed thicker ends.

Now, of course, it's easier for me to say because I'm past tailbone length and my hair grows super fast.

I am also pro-cones. Why? I lead an active lifestyle, and working in the extreme weather, cones make my hair slide, thus less damage.

Can you post a photo? I didn't see one here, but I may not have looked on the second page :D

There was another poster here---I want to say janetillie, and she ended up taking off a ton of her ends due to thinning, and not only has it grown faster, but it's SO thick and full---I've been so delighted to see her progress because we all know how it feels to agonize over what to do.

Eolan
July 7th, 2010, 12:57 AM
First of all, you guys are awesome. I feel better already. Well, actually, I feel pretty bad, but that's because I think I'm running a fever. Darn summer cold. Anyway, love to you all. :crush:

With fine hair, especially "stressed hair" from sun and fun, etc. you get snapping/breakage and tangles leading to more breakage -- am I right?

Fun and sun. Yes. I didn't know my hair would take to the sun so much. I think that has really affected the ends in the long run, since they are really light and see trough.

Since no one has mentioned it yet, you might want to get your thyroid levels checked, just to be sure that's not a factor.

Other than that, your hair sounds a bit similar to mine. I found catnip soaks helps a lot with breaking and splits:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=476

Talked about this with BF who is studying to become a doctor, (he has a year left in school before training starts). He said this was very unlightely, apparanty it's rare in my age. Also I ought to have more symptoms. But yeah, if the problem remains I'll see to it. And I'll look into catnip soaks also. Miau.

One thing that trimming does is hold the fastest growing hairs back a bit so that slower growing hairs have a chance to catch up. This will result in thicker ends. Of course you want to minimize damage as well so that your ends aren't breaking off.

Yes and yes. Some trimming will occur in a near future, just don't know if I'll trim slowly or take a bigger chop. Maybee a little bit of borth.

You said in your post that your hair used to be thick at BSL where as now it looks like the thinning happens above BSL. When you started to grow your hair to waist was it at or above bra strap length?

If it was a ways above it would indicate to me that the problem could be speed growing. But otherwise, while it might contribute it seems like there would be something else going on.

Perhaps mechanical damage, not using cones anymore, or thinning hair from a medical condition. Can you tell if your hair is also thinner at the scalp? Has your ponytail circumference gone down a lot? Or is it just the taper that is worse?

I started growing my hair long in the summer of 2006. At that time I had a pixie that was heavely layered and my hair was bleached into oblivion. So yeah, I started way above BSL. I grew my hair a little bit down below BSL without problems. And I used cones all the time until I finally stopped last year in september, I think it was. I emediately noticed that my hair got thinner, but I think that was due to the coting of the cones dissapeared. My pony is about the same and the hair is thick up there. I think I have both regrowth and breakage going on.

I think there are many variables.
For start, your sister's hair may take after a different member of your family--hence she can do more to it---also, age has a huge factor in regards to growing hair.

But, I know what it feels like to not want to lose length. I'm lucky I have a lot of hair. But, I did have to lose about 2 inches 3 months ago because micro trims weren't making my ends look healthy. I was delighted with the results.

As Spidermom said, hair doesn't grow evenly. So, hairs that shed will re-grow in with new growth, but it'll take time to 'catch up' with the longer hairs. My hair dresser said that with my hair, my ends are about 50% less than my scalp due to the regrowth, and this is common with people with super long hair. Ever since I did the big trim, I've noticed thicker ends.

Can you post a photo? I didn't see one here, but I may not have looked on the second page :D

There was another poster here---I want to say janetillie, and she ended up taking off a ton of her ends due to thinning, and not only has it grown faster, but it's SO thick and full---I've been so delighted to see her progress because we all know how it feels to agonize over what to do.

My sister is four years older than me. She washes her hair (whole lenght piled on top of her head) every other day, she rips through it with a plastic brush and she uses heat. Her hair looks like heaven. And yes, she uses cones. My hair used to be thicker than hers.

You can find photos in my album. Link is on first page. To tired to link again. :p

I envy you for having hair that grows fast. And I'm happy to hear that the chop worked out for you.
I also recall the girl who did the big chop. Glad to hear things are working out for her! My biggest fear is that I will take a big chop without beeing able to grow it out long again.

Alot of you talk about cones. I'll put them in my regimen for a while starting next wash. I'm not anti-cone, never really have been. In fact, I think I'm sliding (haha! so funny!) over to the pro-cone side.

Thank you again for all the help! :smooch: Think I have to go back to bed now...

jackiesjottings
July 7th, 2010, 07:39 AM
Another fine and thin here, but I have just been doing micro trims in the 5.5 years I have been growing. I just even the very ends up about every 3 months. Mine has been noticeably thinner at the ends since it got to waist, but the rest is thicker. So maybe just do some micro trims to even it up slightly, without losing too much length?

Eolan
July 7th, 2010, 09:59 AM
I looked at your hair in your albums. It looks great! As I stated earlier in this thread, I will increase my trimming and perhaps also do a cut.

Eolan
July 7th, 2010, 11:43 AM
I just remesured my pony. I don't remember what my circumference was before, but I'm still a solid ii, my pony mesures somewhere between 7 and 8 centimetres. Yay! This gives me hope.

GRU
July 7th, 2010, 01:39 PM
Since no one has mentioned it yet, you might want to get your thyroid levels checked, just to be sure that's not a factor.Talked about this with BF who is studying to become a doctor, (he has a year left in school before training starts). He said this was very unlightely, apparanty it's rare in my age. Also I ought to have more symptoms. But yeah, if the problem remains I'll see to it.

Your BF is probably a very nice guy, but he is NOT a doctor yet, and quite honestly, even if he was already a doctor, I wouldn't listen to what he had to say if this was his opinion of thyroid imbalances, because it's pretty obvious that he has no understanding of the real issues and symptoms of thyroid imbalances. Not necessarily a knock on him -- I've found that probably 75% or more of licensed physicians aren't fully knowledgeable about this issue. (The really sad part is that one of those was an endocrinologist.... if you can't count on an endocrinologist understanding about hormone levels, who can you depend upon???)

Thyroid hormone can affect virtually EVERY system of the body, including skin/hair, reproduction, digestion, metabolism, brain function, bone density, lipid levels in the blood, and on and on and on. Not everyone has every symptom from every body system, which is one reason that hypo- and hyperthyroidism are so often misdiagnosed (or overlooked entirely).

If your TSH level isn't between .8-1.2, chances are that you have a thyroid issue. Unfortunately, most doctors won't treat you unless your TSH is under .3 or over 5.0, which leaves a lot of people in between who aren't getting appropriate medical treatment.

Also, hypo- and hyperthyroid issues aren't particularly age-related. It's believed that my issues date back to my teens or earlier, but there's no way of knowing for sure because -- go figure -- I wasn't screened for thyroid issues because the doctors didn't know enough about thyroid levels.

Eolan
July 7th, 2010, 02:29 PM
GRU, it sounds to me like you have had a hard time with the medical system. I have had close ones who were ill and got misdiagnosed, not listened to and sometimes even mistreated. The ignorance within the medical system can be quite appalling. I'm sorry if you have been subjected to this.

However, I think it's kind of hard on dear BF to say that he has no understanding about this. We had a very brief conversation about it. He explaned, on very general termes the most common symptoms if you have to much ore to little of... Yes, whatever it's called. :) He then said: "I think it is unlikely (Or unlightly, as I called it before. I can spell. Sorta.) that you have it. It is rare among people your age." So it's not like he went: "No, no way you have it, it's impossible, don't be silly."

Does this medical issue cause more shedding? I have not noticed any increased shedding. And as I stated above, I just mesured my pony and no big difference there. So for now I think it is more likely that this is caused by unvoluntarely mistreatment on my side. But as I said, if it don't get better or even worse, I'll take a test.

Also, thank you for your concern!

xoxophelia
July 7th, 2010, 03:01 PM
Hej Eolan :D ..........(the only swedish word I know haha)

I look forward to seeing your progress

GRU
July 7th, 2010, 03:08 PM
Yes, I've learned the hard way that you are your own best advocate when it comes to healthcare.

And my comments were not really meant as an insult to your BF, which I stated. Even fully-trained, licensed, board-certified, practicing physicians misunderstand and misdiagnose this on what is, unfortunately, a very regular basis.

And yes, hair loss / thinning / reduced growth is a symptom of thyroid deficiency (one of dozens of symptoms that are possible). (I don't even need to pluck my eyebrows anymore, save for the random stray hair a couple times a year!) I shudder to think of how much hair I'd have if I didn't have thyroid issues... I might even be able to compete with the likes of UltraBella if my hair were "full strength"!!! :D

Rivanariko
July 7th, 2010, 03:09 PM
Another fine and thin here. I am both pro-cone and pro-trimming. Cones make a huge difference in my hair, it's SO much more prone to breakage without them. I also only started regular trims since joining LHC (went as much as 2 years before then and my thins would become VERY thin and wispy). Even though I'm losing a little bit of length with each trim, keeping my hemline blunt seems to be helping the overall length a lot with preventing splits and breakage from getting too bad.

With my hair, though, the biggest thing was just trying to cut down on rough handling and friction-related damage. I wear it up or braided most of the time, and avoid brushing unless I've already carefully detangled. It takes longer, but I can see SUCH a difference in the health and growth rate of my hair.

Eolan
July 8th, 2010, 12:47 AM
Hej Eolan :D ..........(the only swedish word I know haha)

I look forward to seeing your progress

Hej, hej! Tack! (=Thanks!) Now you know two words in Swedish! I promise to keep you updated.

And my comments were not really meant as an insult to your BF, which I stated. Even fully-trained, licensed, board-certified, practicing physicians misunderstand and misdiagnose this on what is, unfortunately, a very regular basis.

And yes, hair loss / thinning / reduced growth is a symptom of thyroid deficiency (one of dozens of symptoms that are possible). (I don't even need to pluck my eyebrows anymore, save for the random stray hair a couple times a year!) I shudder to think of how much hair I'd have if I didn't have thyroid issues... I might even be able to compete with the likes of UltraBella if my hair were "full strength"!!! :D

I know it was'nt an insult, I guess I just get defensive on his behalf. Proves how much I care about him, I guess. :silly::inlove:
Here it is easy to get the test done, so I might just do it.

Your hair is absolutely gorgeous, woman! :heartbeat
And UltraBella, well, is she for real? I come to think about one thread where someone talked about long, thick hair beeing a "superstimuli". If you look up that word, I think there will be a picture of UltraBellas hair there.

Another fine and thin here. I am both pro-cone and pro-trimming. Cones make a huge difference in my hair, it's SO much more prone to breakage without them. I also only started regular trims since joining LHC (went as much as 2 years before then and my thins would become VERY thin and wispy). Even though I'm losing a little bit of length with each trim, keeping my hemline blunt seems to be helping the overall length a lot with preventing splits and breakage from getting too bad.

With my hair, though, the biggest thing was just trying to cut down on rough handling and friction-related damage. I wear it up or braided most of the time, and avoid brushing unless I've already carefully detangled. It takes longer, but I can see SUCH a difference in the health and growth rate of my hair.

Your hair looks nice and soft! I don't know if it makes a huge difference, but I think I am mostly an M. I have been sitting here rubbing hair strands beneth my fingers and for the most part they really feel like cotton threads. It's just the ends that are more like: "Hello? Anything there?" So trim, yes. Have to do it. And I promise I will keep my hair up in does that does not require brading. Those are the only ones I can keep my hair up in, but once my Ficcarissimos arrive, I think I'll be able to do buns that stays!

Melisande
July 8th, 2010, 01:15 AM
Eolan, I found that essential oil massages are a great way of helping your scalp producing the optimal amount of healthy, strong hair. I've been using it for three years now and my hair has become much fuller and healthier.

This (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=2001&highlight=essential+oils)is the original thread, and my own experience here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=1122239&postcount=157).

Maybe that's something for you? I love this treatment.

frizzinator
July 8th, 2010, 02:40 AM
I would take care when combing or brushing, for example, start at the hemline and work your way up toward the scalp, gently removing tangles as you go so as not to break hair.

Keep wearing your hair up, all the time. After a couple of years of wearing it up day and night, you will see improvement from having protected it.

I think braids can be hard on fragile hair. Treat your hair like you would treat old lace, and eventually you will be very pleased.

Eolan
July 8th, 2010, 05:05 AM
Eolan, I found that essential oil massages are a great way of helping your scalp producing the optimal amount of healthy, strong hair. I've been using it for three years now and my hair has become much fuller and healthier.

This (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=2001&highlight=essential+oils)is the original thread, and my own experience here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=1122239&postcount=157).

Maybe that's something for you? I love this treatment.

Thank you for your suggestion. It sounds so nice and soothing, I really liked your description. Maybee I can get my BF to massage my scalp for me? :D

I would take care when combing or brushing, for example, start at the hemline and work your way up toward the scalp, gently removing tangles as you go so as not to break hair.

Keep wearing your hair up, all the time. After a couple of years of wearing it up day and night, you will see improvement from having protected it.

I think braids can be hard on fragile hair. Treat your hair like you would treat old lace, and eventually you will be very pleased.

I try to comb as little as possible and I hear you on the braiding thing and wearing it up, up, up. But if it comes to me having to treat my hair as old lace, then I will opt for another hair style. To me that would not be worth it. I have no problem treating my hair as good as possible, but there is a fine line between treating it good and not being able to do anything with it for fear of brekage. If it comes to that, then yeah...

GRU
July 8th, 2010, 07:44 AM
I know it was'nt an insult, I guess I just get defensive on his behalf. Proves how much I care about him, I guess. :silly::inlove:

Perfectly understandable!

Your hair is absolutely gorgeous, woman! :heartbeat

Awww, thanks!!!

And UltraBella, well, is she for real? I come to think about one thread where someone talked about long, thick hair beeing a "superstimuli". If you look up that word, I think there will be a picture of UltraBellas hair there.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b23/ImaHockeyMom/boards/emoticons/lmao.gifhttp://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b23/ImaHockeyMom/boards/emoticons/lmao.gifhttp://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b23/ImaHockeyMom/boards/emoticons/lmao.gif She does have some unbelievably gorgeous locks, doesn't she???

ptnicole
July 8th, 2010, 06:05 PM
GRU is right about the thyroid...I had mine tested after 3 years ago (excessive hair loss being #1 issue)....it was low. I was put on armor thyroid (you can google it) for 10 months and back in balance...literally within 2 weeks of taking the medication, my hair loss slowed way down. They do a blood test and take basal body temps (right before you get out of bed in the morning you take your temp for 3-4 days) to see what your thyroid is doing.

GRU is also right that TOO many docs overlook thyroid issues and overlook the impact the thyroid has on various body functions. I have mine tested regularly now.

Good luck...this forum will certainly get you on track! I am going through another thinning period, but hoping it is my shed cycle/summer/going cone free transition.:confused:

Eolan
July 9th, 2010, 02:02 AM
Awww, thanks!!!

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b23/ImaHockeyMom/boards/emoticons/lmao.gifhttp://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b23/ImaHockeyMom/boards/emoticons/lmao.gifhttp://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b23/ImaHockeyMom/boards/emoticons/lmao.gif She does have some unbelievably gorgeous locks, doesn't she???

Just stating the obvious! :D
And yes, that is princess hair for you. She also seem so nice. Totally not fair! :p

GRU is right about the thyroid...I had mine tested after 3 years ago (excessive hair loss being #1 issue)....it was low. I was put on armor thyroid (you can google it) for 10 months and back in balance...literally within 2 weeks of taking the medication, my hair loss slowed way down. They do a blood test and take basal body temps (right before you get out of bed in the morning you take your temp for 3-4 days) to see what your thyroid is doing.

GRU is also right that TOO many docs overlook thyroid issues and overlook the impact the thyroid has on various body functions. I have mine tested regularly now.

Good luck...this forum will certainly get you on track! I am going through another thinning period, but hoping it is my shed cycle/summer/going cone free transition.:confused:

I'm sorry to hear that you too had trouble with this. If you got medicated I'm sure you're just going through a summer shed.

I still don't think I have this and I know this is going to sound really corny, but every time I get ill with something, I get ALL the symptoms. I mean ALL the symptoms. So far it has never been any doubt when I have gotten something, and I know this Thyroid issue can be really quiet, but anyway.

Eolan
July 9th, 2010, 02:04 AM
Also, I'm having my hair trimmed/cut next tuesday. Meeting my hair dresser friend at her place. First haircut, then wine. I think I'm gonna let her chop of 5 centimetres (ca 2 inches).

GRU
July 9th, 2010, 06:44 AM
Also, I'm having my hair trimmed/cut next tuesday. Meeting my hair dresser friend at her place. First haircut, then wine. I think I'm gonna let her chop of 5 centimetres (ca 2 inches).

Definitely do NOT reverse the order!!! :bigeyes: :bigeyes: :bigeyes: :bigeyes: :bigeyes:

Eolan
July 9th, 2010, 06:54 AM
Definitely do NOT reverse the order!!! :bigeyes: :bigeyes: :bigeyes: :bigeyes: :bigeyes:

Mwahahaha! No? Might end up with a VERY interesting hemline. :alcoholic:

GRU
July 9th, 2010, 07:29 AM
Mwahahaha! No? Might end up with a VERY interesting hemline. :alcoholic:

Or a mohawk!!! :D

FrannyG
July 9th, 2010, 07:49 AM
You and I have almost the same hair type. I suspect that your thinning is more about breakage than about a medical issue. I would still suggest getting checked out if your hair is thinner at the nape than it used to be though.

When I first joined here, all I wanted was to increase length, so I went a year without a trim. I just about reached waist length, and my hair was pathetically thin from just above BSL to the bottom.

I attribute that to the complete lack of trimming and to the damage my hair suffered before I learned to properly care for it. The ends were just terrible.

So I had a very large trim, trimmed every 3 months, grew my hair back to almost waist again, and that time, the ends were thicker and healthier.

So my advice is the same as almost everyone else. Do get a good-sized trim and after that, regular small trims. I wouldn't go any longer than 3 or 4 months without a tiny trim. Your hair will still grow, but your ends won't be as spindly. 1a hair is very unforgiving as far as ends are concerned. Every bit of damage or unevenness shows up.

And since your hair has sun damage, I suggest that you go back to cones if they make you happy. Hair that's been bleached whether by chemicals or the elements can definitely be protected by cones, as long as you remember to clarify and have deep moisture treatments when you need it.

Good luck to you, and I'm sure this will all sort it out before you know it. :blossom:

HikerTrash
July 9th, 2010, 08:27 AM
Somebody mentioned no braids and put your hair up. My hair is thin and fine and what meager attempts at putting my hair up I've tried, always leave a few strands pulling really hard from the top of my head. It seems to me that a braid without an elastic at the top end is very gentle. Is that not true?

littlenvy
July 9th, 2010, 08:58 AM
Somebody mentioned no braids and put your hair up. My hair is thin and fine and what meager attempts at putting my hair up I've tried, always leave a few strands pulling really hard from the top of my head. It seems to me that a braid without an elastic at the top end is very gentle. Is that not true?
Did you try Pelican Clips? (I'm sure there is another name for them but I just can't remember now)
They are very gentle on my hair and hold it as if I was holding it with my hand. No pulling, no elastic, no digging into the hair or the scalp. :)

Eolan
July 9th, 2010, 09:21 AM
Or a mohawk!!! :D

Good thing she can't read this. She might get ideas. :p

You and I have almost the same hair type. I suspect that your thinning is more about breakage than about a medical issue. I would still suggest getting checked out if your hair is thinner at the nape than it used to be though.

When I first joined here, all I wanted was to increase length, so I went a year without a trim. I just about reached waist length, and my hair was pathetically thin from just above BSL to the bottom.

I attribute that to the complete lack of trimming and to the damage my hair suffered before I learned to properly care for it. The ends were just terrible.

So I had a very large trim, trimmed every 3 months, grew my hair back to almost waist again, and that time, the ends were thicker and healthier.

So my advice is the same as almost everyone else. Do get a good-sized trim and after that, regular small trims. I wouldn't go any longer than 3 or 4 months without a tiny trim. Your hair will still grow, but your ends won't be as spindly. 1a hair is very unforgiving as far as ends are concerned. Every bit of damage or unevenness shows up.

And since your hair has sun damage, I suggest that you go back to cones if they make you happy. Hair that's been bleached whether by chemicals or the elements can definitely be protected by cones, as long as you remember to clarify and have deep moisture treatments when you need it.

Good luck to you, and I'm sure this will all sort it out before you know it. :blossom:

FrannyG, thank you so much! I got so happy I squeled (It's a word. At least it is now.) for joy. We have a very similar story and I feel so encouraged to have read this. My hair too starts to thin out bad just above BSL. I am about to do all what you suggested. Thank you again! :flowers:

I think it depends alot on how you braid, what tie you use and where you tie of your braid. I have really nice ties, made of some soft fabric. But if ones hair is very fragile I think braids and ponys can really take a toll. So yeah, no tie is a good thing, I think!

Did you try Pelican Clips? (I'm sure there is another name for them but I just can't remember now)
They are very gentle on my hair and hold it as if I was holding it with my hand. No pulling, no elastic, no digging into the hair or the scalp. :)

You're in the States, right. You guys have all the fun clips over there! :justy::D

UltraBella
July 9th, 2010, 03:49 PM
Lol, you all made me blush....... and giggle out loud ! Superstimuli ??!!!

Anyway, I am sorry you are feeling frustrated with your hair, but I think your trim will make you feel better. They can literally make all the difference :) Even I feel like my ends are looking thin sometimes ! In fact, next Thursday I am going to cut about two inches off.

melikai
July 9th, 2010, 06:47 PM
I don't think this has been suggested as of yet, but I would say to first get a much better quality conditioner. Urtekram and other more natural conditioners lack some of the necessary ingredients which allow moisture to penetrate into the hair shaft. I was using Aubrey Organics conditioners for a few months, and my ends were breaking off! I switched to a still very natural conditioner by Nature's Baby Organics that has a high amount of an ingredient called behentrimonium methosulfate in it. I cannot express what a difference this has made to my hair! I don't think it is necessary to use products with silicones, as long as your conditioner has either this or the slightly less effective (but still good) behentrimonium chloride in it.

Here is a list of other conditioners with btms in them:
http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/browse.php?ingred06=700658&category=conditioner&ingred06=700658&&showmore=products&atatime=500

It should be ideally the next ingredient after water/water equivalent in the conditioner. A quick alternative that you could pick up until you were able to get a better one is Garnier Triple Nutrition conditioner, which has behentrimonium chloride in it.

Hope this helps.

ETA: Nightblooming's Panacea Hair Salve also has (I think) BTMS as the second ingredient, and is very popular around here!

Eolan
July 12th, 2010, 03:16 AM
Lol, you all made me blush....... and giggle out loud ! Superstimuli ??!!!

Anyway, I am sorry you are feeling frustrated with your hair, but I think your trim will make you feel better. They can literally make all the difference :) Even I feel like my ends are looking thin sometimes ! In fact, next Thursday I am going to cut about two inches off.

You have gorgeous hair, you know. :flower:
I think you're right about the trim. From now on I'll try to trim it every three months.

I don't think this has been suggested as of yet, but I would say to first get a much better quality conditioner. Urtekram and other more natural conditioners lack some of the necessary ingredients which allow moisture to penetrate into the hair shaft. I was using Aubrey Organics conditioners for a few months, and my ends were breaking off! I switched to a still very natural conditioner by Nature's Baby Organics that has a high amount of an ingredient called behentrimonium methosulfate in it. I cannot express what a difference this has made to my hair! I don't think it is necessary to use products with silicones, as long as your conditioner has either this or the slightly less effective (but still good) behentrimonium chloride in it.

Here is a list of other conditioners with btms in them:
http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/browse.php?ingred06=700658&category=conditioner&ingred06=700658&&showmore=products&atatime=500

It should be ideally the next ingredient after water/water equivalent in the conditioner. A quick alternative that you could pick up until you were able to get a better one is Garnier Triple Nutrition conditioner, which has behentrimonium chloride in it.

Hope this helps.

ETA: Nightblooming's Panacea Hair Salve also has (I think) BTMS as the second ingredient, and is very popular around here!

Thank you for the list! I think you are absolutely right! I did actually pick up a bottle of that Fructis conditioner, since alot of people around here have praised it. I have tried it once and it's very good!

Eolan
July 12th, 2010, 03:31 AM
So this saturday I did a cassia/shikakai treatment (50/50).

Got the powders from a Swedish web shop (Helenas Henna) and they were stifted very fine and easy to mix up. Mixed them with hot water and some aloe vera (Fruit of the Earth).
I then learned why people section their hair before they smear stuff like that on. :D Once it's on, it's on. But I think I covered most of my hair.
Left it on for about an hour, under saran wrap and a towel.

It rinsed out quite easily actually. Got most of it in a bucket and was able to pour it in the toilet insted of clogging the tub. Used up my Urtekram conditioner , used some shampoo, and then I used two new conditioners that I picked up last week. And I knooooow, you're not supposed to change alot of stuff at once, but I still did.
First I used the Fructis Triple Nutrition conditioner.

Instant change, people.

I was like, "Right. Your hair can also feel like THIS when you put conditioner on it." And my hair was like, "Oh HAI! Now I hate you less!"

I then rinsed and finally put some coney conditioner on my ends, L'oréal Elvital Nutri-gloss. It has some cones, and some jojoba oil and alot of protein, wich might have made it a bad choice to follow up a protein-like treatment. But my ends liked it, and so did I!

My hair felt sooo good right after this! It felt coarser, in a good way, and I think I picked up some golden glow from the cassia. My hair still feels and looks much better, even if I lost some of the emediate effect. I'll defenetely do it again, but next time I'll follow up with a good moisture treatment, like and SMT, because my hair did get slightly dry.

And yes, I'm so not using Urtekram anymore. Being more natural is great, but does obviously not work for me.

I feel so much happier with my hair already! :cheese:

Eolan
July 19th, 2010, 12:23 PM
More success to report!

I have been ill for two weeks now (darn, darn summer colds!) but now I'm better. And so is my hair.

I did get it trimmed. My friend chopped of 5 centimetres (about 2 inches) and my hemline looks waaaaay better now. (And yes, GRU, we did have the drinks AFTER the hair cutting :)) My friends take on it is that I have been through a bigger shed due to stress, wich makes sense since last year of school was kind of hysterical at times. She called it "pregnancy hair, hormonal hair", but also thought that there was alot of regrowth going on. I hope she's right on that one!

I currently on a CWCC washing routine, with the last C being a coney conditioner. My hair don't tangle at all on cones and it feels alot stronger, more flexible already.

So onward with more success! Yay!

Dolly
July 19th, 2010, 12:35 PM
Glad you are making progress! Also try some biotin for encouraging faster growth....

I know that cones get a bad rap, but I have much the same type of hair, and the issues are exaggerated by the fact that I wear my hair down 90% of the time.

I did an experiment right after I came to the LHC.....I clarified my hair to remove all build-up, went and got a trim, and examined my hair THOROUGHLY. No damage. Went cone free, which was the ONLY change in my routine.....I use shampoo bars and only use sulfates when I clarify.....I tried several high end (and lower end) cone free conditioners. I do a deep overnight oiling 1-2 nights per week. No heat styling.

Within a few months, my hair was in HORRID shape. Breaking, splitting, and general nastiness. I went back to cones and haven't looked back. My hair needs the cones for protection. Chances are that yours does as well....just make sure to keep an eye out for buildup, and clarify when needed.

Good luck!!

dropinthebucket
July 19th, 2010, 12:59 PM
i went cone-free too but i've got all this broken hair now - i thought it was mechanical damage from putting it up - but now i read your post, dolly, maybe i should go back to cones. i just didn't like they way they weighed my hair down, but it is kinda fragile - what's an F/i to do???

haibane
July 19th, 2010, 01:06 PM
Eolan: That's great that it's working out with the cones and all! :)

dropinthebucket: You might wanna try some of the lighter cones like amodimethicone or even lighter. It doesn't seem to weigh my hair down nearly as much.

1nuitblanche
July 19th, 2010, 01:09 PM
I'm glad that you found a way to make your hair happier! I just wanted to chime in because I think you said you're growing your hair out from a pixie? I did/am doing that too (I got to hip and have been going between there and bsl for a few years to thicken it up and let my bangs catch up). And, the first time I got to about mbl, my ends looked a lot like yours, so I trimmed them back quite a bit. Then, once I got to waist, I maintained a while, when to hip, and then trimmed back to bsl. The thinness in the ends is pretty much gone now. So, basically, I just want to encourage you, because I think that what's happening is due to growing out fairly recently (even though I bet it's been a few years since you've already passed bsl). It'll catch up if you give it time and grow slow or maintain a certain length for a while.

GRU
July 19th, 2010, 01:39 PM
I did get it trimmed. My friend chopped of 5 centimetres (about 2 inches) and my hemline looks waaaaay better now. (And yes, GRU, we did have the drinks AFTER the hair cutting :))

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b23/ImaHockeyMom/boards/emoticons/th_lolabove-1.gif?t=1279568304

Sorry you've been sick, but glad that things are going better, and you had some fun girlfriend time!

paigeturner
July 19th, 2010, 01:44 PM
Ah, reading this has made me salivate for my cone-shampoo and conditioner! I too have very fragile hair and very thin ends and switched to cone free shampoo and conditioner about three weeks ago, maybe a month. And I miss my lovely cony conditioner! The shampoo I can live without, but...

Anyway, I hope you and your ends are getting healthier and happier!

Centaur
July 19th, 2010, 02:20 PM
My 2a hair is fine-medium and on the thin side.

I have this theory that the SLS and Cones merry go round my hair was on was what was causing or contributing to its weakening state.

I started to think that giving up SLS (except for a weekly clarifying shampoo) and Cones would be the thing to do for my hair, and that I needed a little more protein and a lot more moisturizing. So, I have been using a deeper conditioner with oils, aloe and the like and a bit of protein. I am hoping this will improve the health and strength of my hair. And I am using sweet almond oil to hopefully moisturize and protect my hair.

So far I am seeing an improvement in my hair. Only time will tell.

Dolly
July 19th, 2010, 02:40 PM
i went cone-free too but i've got all this broken hair now - i thought it was mechanical damage from putting it up - but now i read your post, dolly, maybe i should go back to cones. i just didn't like they way they weighed my hair down, but it is kinda fragile - what's an F/i to do???

Yeah, fine hair can be a real nightmare sometimes....and, I have decided that cones are a GOOD thing for those of us who need protection.....

Eolan
July 21st, 2010, 03:07 PM
All day at work I have a tab open with LHC. (I work at a switch board, so surfing is okay.) But I can't log in, due to security reasons. OH THE IRONY. So now I'm at home, it's late and I'm crazy tired. Let me get back to you, ladies. All your responses makes me happy at heart.

Eolan
August 2nd, 2010, 10:07 AM
Okay, first of all, I am probably the worst thread starter EVER. So sorry guys! To my defence I have been ill, and working alot, and traveling and... Life, in general. But I said I would get back to you and here I am!

My hair is feeling good. It's not super good, but it's good. I think it's getting there. Still on a CWCC routine with some cones and it seems to be working. Cones gives me frizz, wich I didn't have before, but for now it's woth it.

Now, time for answers and comments!

Glad you are making progress! Also try some biotin for encouraging faster growth....

I know that cones get a bad rap, but I have much the same type of hair, and the issues are exaggerated by the fact that I wear my hair down 90% of the time.

I did an experiment right after I came to the LHC.....I clarified my hair to remove all build-up, went and got a trim, and examined my hair THOROUGHLY. No damage. Went cone free, which was the ONLY change in my routine.....I use shampoo bars and only use sulfates when I clarify.....I tried several high end (and lower end) cone free conditioners. I do a deep overnight oiling 1-2 nights per week. No heat styling.

Within a few months, my hair was in HORRID shape. Breaking, splitting, and general nastiness. I went back to cones and haven't looked back. My hair needs the cones for protection. Chances are that yours does as well....just make sure to keep an eye out for buildup, and clarify when needed.

Good luck!!

I eat some supplements now, with Biotin and other goodies. Apparently you are supposed to eat them for a couple of months before seeing any progress, so I'll be doing that.
I don't know if I'll stick to cones forever, but for now at least. I have never experienced buildup and feel that I get good protection from them, just as you described. I still feel that I'd like to have a moore natural regimen, so idealy I'd like to be able to opt out cones and SLS and parabens and, well, heavy chemicals. But as I said, for now I'm keeping them. Thank you for sharing your story! :flower: And hoorray for success!

I hope you get it sorted out, dropinthebucket. Have you gone back to cones?

Eolan: That's great that it's working out with the cones and all! :)

Thank you! :D

I'm glad that you found a way to make your hair happier! I just wanted to chime in because I think you said you're growing your hair out from a pixie? I did/am doing that too (I got to hip and have been going between there and bsl for a few years to thicken it up and let my bangs catch up). And, the first time I got to about mbl, my ends looked a lot like yours, so I trimmed them back quite a bit. Then, once I got to waist, I maintained a while, when to hip, and then trimmed back to bsl. The thinness in the ends is pretty much gone now. So, basically, I just want to encourage you, because I think that what's happening is due to growing out fairly recently (even though I bet it's been a few years since you've already passed bsl). It'll catch up if you give it time and grow slow or maintain a certain length for a while.

I did start to grow my hair from a pixie! That was in 2006, so you may be right about it having some effect. In the beginning of my growing journey I also trimmed alot more frequently, so from now on I'll be doing that. Good to know that you got rid of your thin ends in the end! Phun intended! :silly:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b23/ImaHockeyMom/boards/emoticons/th_lolabove-1.gif?t=1279568304

Sorry you've been sick, but glad that things are going better, and you had some fun girlfriend time!

Thanks GRU! This cold nearly killed me (well, not really, but you know). I am never ill, and this summer I have been sick for like five weeks. Maybee some reaction to stress from school (graduated in June), wich also could have had something to do with my thinned hair. I am well now, at last.

Ah, reading this has made me salivate for my cone-shampoo and conditioner! I too have very fragile hair and very thin ends and switched to cone free shampoo and conditioner about three weeks ago, maybe a month. And I miss my lovely cony conditioner! The shampoo I can live without, but...

Anyway, I hope you and your ends are getting healthier and happier!

My ends are soooo much better. That trim really made a difference, as did the change of products!

My 2a hair is fine-medium and on the thin side.

I have this theory that the SLS and Cones merry go round my hair was on was what was causing or contributing to its weakening state.

I started to think that giving up SLS (except for a weekly clarifying shampoo) and Cones would be the thing to do for my hair, and that I needed a little more protein and a lot more moisturizing. So, I have been using a deeper conditioner with oils, aloe and the like and a bit of protein. I am hoping this will improve the health and strength of my hair. And I am using sweet almond oil to hopefully moisturize and protect my hair.

So far I am seeing an improvement in my hair. Only time will tell.

Good luck! I hope your hair feels better now. :flower:

Yeah, fine hair can be a real nightmare sometimes....and, I have decided that cones are a GOOD thing for those of us who need protection.....

I think anything that workes for you is good. Well, almost anything. *tries to put ice cream back in the fridge before it's all gone*

mali
August 2nd, 2010, 10:13 AM
:)Oh,my! I know my mom had the same situation and she cut it off...It was hard but it grew healthy at max.

Debra83
August 2nd, 2010, 11:27 AM
Keep persevering, your hair looks lovely in your photos.

Eolan
August 2nd, 2010, 11:41 AM
:)Oh,my! I know my mom had the same situation and she cut it off...It was hard but it grew healthy at max.

Good to hear! I mean, not that she had to cut it all off, but that it's healthy and growing now.

Keep persevering, your hair looks lovely in your photos.

Awww, thank you so much. That made my day. :smooch:

x0h_bother
August 2nd, 2010, 08:18 PM
My horrendous shedding began when I quit cones. When I reintroduced cones the shedding lessened, and then when I got a trim it was completely back to normal, with very few shed hairs. Good luck to you!!!

Eolan
August 4th, 2010, 01:59 PM
My horrendous shedding began when I quit cones. When I reintroduced cones the shedding lessened, and then when I got a trim it was completely back to normal, with very few shed hairs. Good luck to you!!!

Thank you! How nice to know what your hair really likes. I'm not there just yet.

I think I have to be more observant when it comes to shedding. I don't know yet what makes me shed less or more.

And I'm already dubting the cone-thing again. I like the slip, but my hair now has some frizz and it turns into a greaseball quite fast. So today I did a CWC wash with my no cone conditioner, the by lots and lots of LHC:ers so beloved TripleNutrition. The journey continues.

x0h_bother
August 4th, 2010, 07:48 PM
Thank you! How nice to know what your hair really likes. I'm not there just yet.

I think I have to be more observant when it comes to shedding. I don't know yet what makes me shed less or more.

And I'm already dubting the cone-thing again. I like the slip, but my hair now has some frizz and it turns into a greaseball quite fast. So today I did a CWC wash with my no cone conditioner, the by lots and lots of LHC:ers so beloved TripleNutrition. The journey continues.
I agree, no one way is right for everyone. But it sounds like your trim went well. :blossom: And I <3 CWC!

colormeindie
February 28th, 2011, 02:50 PM
Okay, so my hair has thinned out. Alot. My ends, IMO, does not look good.

This is the longest hair I've ever had. When I had long hair before I think I got to BSL, I then normally got tired of it and cut it of. But now I really want to grow my hair long (tailbone, at least) and I'm starting to think that it's just not going to happen.

A couple of weeks ago I braided my sisters hair. My sister has very blond hair (natural color) to BSL, maybee a little longer. It's thick. I'ts healthy. It's strong. It looks great. My hair used to be just like hers, just darker. And I used to bleach it, straighten it, thin it with sissors, you name it. And my hair just kept on groing, strong, thick and healthy.

This thinning thing has gotten really bad the last six months, I think. Have not stressed more than usual, have not been sick, have not changed anything drastically. The only thing I can think of is I gave up cones about a year ago. Although I like beeing conefree in many ways, I'm starting to think that maybee I need them for strenght. My hair feels frail. That is new to me.

Met my friend for lunch today. She's a hair dresser, and she trimmed my hair like a month ago. Took of about one centimetre. Now I asked her honest opinion about it, and she said: "What do you want me to say? The ends are really thin! It wouldn't hurt to cut of some ten centimetres." When I look at it in the mirror, I think she's right. Maybee I need to cut of even moore.

So now what? I won't be able to have hair longer than BSL?

Should I cut it?
Go back to cones?
Henna?
Cassia? (Just got some in the mail, btw.)

I want to have long hair, but I want it to look good. To me, at this point, it does not.

The pictures are crappy, but those are the ones I got for now. And my hair looks better on them than in real life. They are in my album (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=5818).

All opionions appreciated. Sorry about the long rant.
i know how you feel :(
about 1 1/2 years ago, i had waist length beautiful thick blond hair, but i got tired of blond and went to red.
when i went to a salon to get my hair dyed (should'a went with henna :( i told the stylist specifically that i wanted only 1 inch off. well 1 inch soon became... 18. still to this day im devastated about the damage that woman caused. now, my hair is thinning, dry, and falling out. i've only just managed to slow down any hairs falling out, but my hair just doesn't seem to want to grow. the fastest i get now, is about an inch a year :( I've also recently become a vegetarian and it seems to just be making things worse. im keeping up with lots of proteins and vitamins, but nothing works :( im going to try supplements. I've been researching them for a few months now, and from the testimonials that i've read are saying things like 3 inches or even more in a month! right now my hair is just below my collar bone, and i want it to my waist before 10th grade starts and i go to high school. hopefully they work! they seem to help with thickness and growth. you should look into them too. they're called HairFormula37. im probably going to order a few this weekend and hope for the best! happy growing!

SouthernBelleUS
February 28th, 2011, 03:27 PM
Having same problem with thinning on the sides of my hair (see avatar pic). I take vitamins & am careful with hair, but every time I CWC or CO, I get so many hairs that fall out! I have slight hypothyroidism, but it is managed with meds. I'm clueless....