PDA

View Full Version : Sick Time

HintOfMint
July 6th, 2010, 01:18 AM
I am pretty sick right now, and while I am not sure if this is the delirium of fever or just a good idea, but I figured I should make the most of this down time. Since I don't have to be groomed for the next day or so, I think I am going to do a deep coconut oiling tonight. I may also do my very first SMT tomorrow.

What do you guys think? What do you do with your hair when you're sick? Do you leave it alone, pamper the bejeezus out of it, or let it get grimy (in that wonderful conditioning sebum-y way)?

Dragon
July 6th, 2010, 01:28 AM
I just leave it alone.

littleflowerr
July 6th, 2010, 01:31 AM
I just leave it and sometimes let it get grimy!

Hotrox
July 6th, 2010, 01:42 AM
I forget about it, tie it back and let it get greasy. Then when you are feeling better and wash it, it feels soooo good!

LILBERT
July 6th, 2010, 02:48 AM
yeah. when im sick i usually deep oil it because i dont have to go out anywhere and at least then when im sitting around, it doesnt feel like a total waste of time! lol! :p Plus when you feel better and wash it all out, your hair will feel spectacular which will make you feel even better! ;) But i am a bit nuts!

Toadstool
July 6th, 2010, 03:26 AM
What a great idea!
Hope you feel better soon.

Sammich
July 6th, 2010, 03:52 AM
Actually, I oil it a whole ton and then sleep on it and let it be grimey. ;)

pepperminttea
July 6th, 2010, 05:22 AM
I usually heavily oil it, and keep it in a sleep-friendly braid unless I have to go out. I let it get oily, but as Hotrox said, it does feel wonderful when you're recovering to wash it, gives you that boost of confidence to keep going, and a longer wash cycle does it good anyway. :)

Dreams_in_Pink
July 6th, 2010, 05:32 AM
Last time i was down with flu, i oiled my whole head with castor oil and let it sit for the whole week :D I remember having a growth spurt afterwards :)

Loreley
July 6th, 2010, 06:22 AM
I always just leave it when I'm sick.

Henrietta
July 6th, 2010, 07:33 AM
I make two french braids. It's comfortable updo and I don't have to re-do it over and over.

Bluegrass Babe
July 6th, 2010, 07:52 AM
I usually just leave in a ponytail. But that makes lots of work detangling and such when I finally recover and shampoo. Not to mention massive shed!

I had never thought of a deep oiling. Combined with two side french braids - what a wonderful idea! I'll make sure to have some coconut oil on hand for flu season.

LILBERT - Where did you get that avatar? I would love to have print of that. Someone else here has a similar one with a little girl.

Nera
July 6th, 2010, 08:07 AM
I usually make two heavy oiled dutch braids. By the time I've gotten better my coarse hair has soaked up all the oil and looks great. And indeed, washing it afterwards is an amazing feeling! Get better soon:)

LILBERT
July 6th, 2010, 08:08 AM
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.babble.com/CS/blogs/strollerderby/Crystal-Gayle-Hair.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.babble.com/CS/blogs/strollerderby/archive/2008/02/16/a-tale-for-crystal-gayle.aspx&usg=__8gNFr0vLSmeki35OizfXZJHjwLE=&h=704&w=365&sz=71&hl=en&start=5&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=UX0MaDBr-lGWLM:&tbnh=140&tbnw=73&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dcrystal%2Bgayle%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26 client%3Dopera%26rls%3Den-GB%26tbs%3Disch:1

there you go. i just typed crystal gayle into google images. I havent read the site or anything, i just literally copied the picture so i dont know if its suitable or not.

Bluegrass Babe
July 6th, 2010, 10:02 AM
HintOfMint -
I remember my first SMT. It may be more than you would want to tackle right now. It took a couple of tries to get the mix right, dealing with keeping hair covered and moist, followed by usual rinsing and detangling.... I would stick with the oiling, though, just to be sure. Now is not the time for the aggravation of perfecting hair experiments.

I should have paid more attention to your hairtype. If you have a quick, easy after shower routine, and are going to be napping/resting for most of the day, you may be ok. Just keep in mind that if you get great results from SMT, they soon will be lost to "bed head"!

Feel better soon :hugs:

LILBERT -
OOhhh! Thank you so much! I doubt I will be able to track down an actual real life framed piece of art, since the article is so old, but I can at least imagine it!

I'm going to give this link to the people in the thread "why does everyone think women over 40 should cut their hair?"! Some of the comments are O.O ...wow...!

OperaTeacherMom
July 6th, 2010, 10:41 AM
Oiling it is a fantastic idea! I wish I'd thought of that when I had food poisoning last week, but I actually ended up going to my mother in law's house so she could watch my son, a very active 9 month old and food poisoning do not mix well! I'm definitely oiling and braiding next time I'm sick.

Coffeebug
July 6th, 2010, 11:16 AM
Oooh I can't be faffed when I'm poorly - I just leave it dumped in a braid LOL!

jane01
July 6th, 2010, 11:19 AM
I just leave it

Kristin
July 6th, 2010, 01:41 PM
I don't get sick much, but I would probably oil and braid it. I'm having Lasik surgery this weekend, and I will likely oil with either coconut or castor oil and sleep. :) Sunday's wash will be awesome.:D

triumphator!
July 6th, 2010, 01:53 PM
I always let my hair get SUPER grimy when I'm sick and if I don't have to be anywhere on the weekends. It feels good to just let it do its thing for a while, without interrupting it!

little_acorn
July 6th, 2010, 02:04 PM
When I'm sick I oil it, braid it and leave it :D, looks great when I feel better

AZDesertRose
July 6th, 2010, 02:54 PM
When I don't feel well, I tend to braid or bun it and leave it. I might give it a good oiling the next time I don't feel well.

Darkhorse1
July 6th, 2010, 03:17 PM
Actually, any time I have a fever, my hair grows a ton. I think when you have a fever, your metabolism speeds up, hence you get hair growth. I notice my nails and body hair grows too(I have to shave a lot when I'm sick/clip my nails)

Depending on how you feel, I always found washing my hair cooled me down if I was running a fever. But, having a fever will exhaust you, so you have to remember to get your sleep, plenty of fluids and do what feels right.

For me, I tended to keep my hair loose when ill because a high fever made my scalp tender. But, if you have a stomach flu, a braid or loose pony tail might be a wise choice...

Hope you feel better soon!

Anje
July 6th, 2010, 04:05 PM
I'll go with the crowd and say "grease it up and let it marinate".

That said, when I'm sick (I've very rarely "stay in bed" sick), I tend to shower at least daily, maybe more. For me, there's something reviving about getting clean when I'm sick.

JenniferNoel
July 6th, 2010, 04:40 PM
I usually just let it sit. When I'm sick I'm too grouchy and lazy to do anything with it.

HintOfMint
July 6th, 2010, 04:43 PM
I usually make two heavy oiled dutch braids. By the time I've gotten better my coarse hair has soaked up all the oil and looks great. And indeed, washing it afterwards is an amazing feeling! Get better soon:)
Thanks!

HintOfMint -
I remember my first SMT. It may be more than you would want to tackle right now. It took a couple of tries to get the mix right, dealing with keeping hair covered and moist, followed by usual rinsing and detangling.... I would stick with the oiling, though, just to be sure. Now is not the time for the aggravation of perfecting hair experiments.

I should have paid more attention to your hairtype. If you have a quick, easy after shower routine, and are going to be napping/resting for most of the day, you may be ok. Just keep in mind that if you get great results from SMT, they soon will be lost to "bed head"!

Feel better soon :hugs:

Thanks! An SMT when I'm just going to lie back down again probably isn't the greatest idea.

Actually, any time I have a fever, my hair grows a ton. I think when you have a fever, your metabolism speeds up, hence you get hair growth. I notice my nails and body hair grows too(I have to shave a lot when I'm sick/clip my nails)

Depending on how you feel, I always found washing my hair cooled me down if I was running a fever. But, having a fever will exhaust you, so you have to remember to get your sleep, plenty of fluids and do what feels right.

For me, I tended to keep my hair loose when ill because a high fever made my scalp tender. But, if you have a stomach flu, a braid or loose pony tail might be a wise choice...

Hope you feel better soon!
Thanks!
The effects of a fever on hair growth is an interesting thought. I'm not sure if it has to do with the metabolism so much as it has to do with raising the body's temperature (although one could argue that the metabolism speeds up to maintain a higher temperature, but that could be a side effect and not a direct cause of greater hair growth. I guess one could study hair growth in those who have high metabolisms vs. average ones...). After all, on average, hair grows faster during the summer months when it is warmer.

Right now, my hair is marinating in coconut oil in a bun. I'm going to hold off on the SMT until I'm ready to leave the house. God I'm so tempted to try castor oil (I will need to make a drug store run, which doesn't count as leaving the house because I'm jetting off to the pharmacy for some sudafed) but I'm doing the "use up your stash" challenge. *Pout*

Locksmith
July 7th, 2010, 06:27 AM
Depends how ill I am. Generally I ignore it completely though. :P

countryhopper
July 7th, 2010, 08:21 AM
I don't do anything special with it. I might try out new braids/buns/etc...

It's a good reason to dedicate a lot of time on LHC!!

Spike
July 7th, 2010, 12:21 PM
Honestly, I hadn't thought if this.

I suspect it might be one of those feed/starve things--do what feels good to YOU at the moment. Sometimes it might be a matter of feeling yucky and able to sleep--then rest and get better! Othertimes, yeah, it might be a matter of can't go to work till the fever breaks but I'm BORED--so oil and pamper.

tinti
July 7th, 2010, 04:42 PM
I remember when I was very sick, almost everyday, I almost never washed it and it felt sooo nice when I did!

May
July 7th, 2010, 06:59 PM
I wash my hair when I know I'm going to be around the house sick because I feel better when my hairs clean. It actually makes me feel worse to leave it grimy...unless I'm too sick to shower or take a bath...well that's another story :(