PDA

View Full Version : Horizontal/Side Braid Help

YesitsReal
July 5th, 2010, 02:03 PM
I love braiding--Dutch, French, bunned, you name it, I love it. However, I have a hard time doing horizontal and side braids on myself. For example, today I did a "classic" on myself (two braids running down the sides of my head, braided to the ends, then fashioned into a bun at the center); no matter what I do, I always seem to end up with loops at the part of the braid where it leaves my head (sort of like the poofy loops at the neck on French braids). The braids always look great until I hit the back part. I understand that braiding horizontally on the back of your head isn't really easy, but does anyone have any good tips?

TIA

09robiha
July 5th, 2010, 02:19 PM
hmmm I dont know how much help I can be here but the position of your hands is important. I find that if thats not wuite right, something goes wrong. Learning how to do a crown braid helped me so much but damn did my hair HATE that braid, and I still cant do it right.
Not much help sorry hopefully one of our braiding experts will have something more constructive.

I love braiding--Dutch, French, bunned, you name it, I love it. However, I have a hard time doing horizontal and side braids on myself. For example, today I did a "classic" on myself (two braids running down the sides of my head, braided to the ends, then fashioned into a bun at the center); no matter what I do, I always seem to end up with loops at the part of the braid where it leaves my head (sort of like the poofy loops at the neck on French braids). The braids always look great until I hit the back part. I understand that braiding horizontally on the back of your head isn't really easy, but does anyone have any good tips?

TIA

countryhopper
July 6th, 2010, 12:21 AM
I'm right handed. I always start my diagonal braids on the top left side of my head. It is so much easier for me to do it this way!! I think my right hand naturally pulls the braid towards the right as I'm braiding, so I don't have too much trouble making it go diagonal.

I also find it helpful to braid the tail from the front on my right side. It seems to keep the braid even more diagonal than if I were to braid the tail from behind my head.

This is one of my favorite ways to braid my hair... I hope I was able to explain it clearly enough!