PDA

View Full Version : Clarifying...it feels so good but is it too much?!

Maddy25
July 5th, 2010, 10:28 AM
I had a question, I know you arnt supposed to clarify too often, but lately Ive been using my Neutrogena Anti-buildup shampoo every wash and then slathering my hair in conditioner...it makes my hair so pretty and soft and when I just use a normal shampoo it just doesnt feel clean after and I dont get the same effect, it ends up feeling almost gunky. I dont use any styling products so there really is no buildup...no hairspry, no anything. I was just wondering if this is a terrible thing to do to my hair or if anyone had any idea why my hair just doesnt feel clean any other way. I nerv had this problem before, could it be a henna thing? (I only hennaed once, and its very faded, so there shouldnt be any henna buildup either.)

Katurday
July 5th, 2010, 10:36 AM
I've always been a strong advocate for things that make our hair feel good (no matter how unpopular they may be). Your hair is different than all other hair here, as is mine. Some hair frizzes at the thought of shampoo, and some hair loves it. Use it till it works, stop when it doesn't, if it doesn't.

myrrhmaiden
July 5th, 2010, 10:44 AM
I would worry about it drying it out more than usual over time.

triumphator!
July 5th, 2010, 11:26 AM
Well, if it works and makes your hair feel good, then maybe it isn't so bad? I think you should be observant of any sudden changes your hair goes through because of your new routine. If it starts to get super dry, throw in some deep conditioning and see if that fixes it. Otherwise, if it makes your hair feel great and you don't see any damage, maybe it's just what your hair needs!

Kome
July 5th, 2010, 12:02 PM
I don't think it's a henna thing. If anything, henna has made my hair SOOOO much more manageable, soft, and shiney. I would do what works for you. Clarifying shampoo's don't work for me. I've never clarified and I probably never will. My hair LOATHES shampoo. It dries out and frizzes so bad and I can't run a finger through it. I condition every day, but I don't shampoo often. Do what makes your hair happy! :)

danacc
July 5th, 2010, 12:14 PM
Looks like you're at pixie length. Using a "good" cleanser like shampoo every day adds wear and tear on the hair, but at your length, I wouldn't spend one second worrying about it. Sebum is likely reaching the entire length for you at this point, and that adds protection, too.

As your hair grows longer, you might want to switch to CWC and avoid putting the shampoo directly on the length. Right now, though, this routine sounds like it is working just fine for you.

Darkhorse1
July 5th, 2010, 12:44 PM
I use clarifying shampoos all the time. I have an oily scalp and work in dirty conditions, and clarifying shampoos make my hair very happy. i've been using dandruff shampoo lately due to our oppressive heat, and my scalp thanks me :)