PDA

View Full Version : Anyone had their natural colour change several times over the years?

Milui Elenath
July 5th, 2010, 05:17 AM
I was posting in another thread about how my hair colour has changed since birth to 18 naturally (without dyes.)

These are the colour changes:
I was born with red hair (bright auburn) that fell out and went blonde then gradually darkened to a medium brown with fair streaks that between 15 and 16 went copper and settled finally on auburn at 18. Where it has remained until now as I am getting greys and I have henna'd.

There must be others out there who's hair has changed, are there? :confused: Does anyone have an explanation for why this might be? Am I just odd? :D

bridgetsgirl
July 5th, 2010, 05:27 AM
It seems to be genetic with me...everyone in my mother's family (including me and my sister) was born blonde, which darkened to chocolate-auburn by the late teens. My sister, at 17, seems to be holding on to the blonde quite well though. I'm curious as to how dark she'll get by the time she's my age.
As far as greys go, people on both sides of my family go salt-and-pepper, though I don't know at what age. I'm wondering when mine will start coming in. Funny, most people dread it, but I'm curious!

BritishBraider
July 5th, 2010, 05:36 AM
I had a similar thing; born blonde, then to ginger (curls), then to dark brown (waves to straight), reached 16 at mid-brown and started dying it (am 19 now), but sister has managed to keep her blond though.....

chipzahoy
July 5th, 2010, 06:36 AM
Mine is naturally brown-black, but I've dyed it a few times in the past years and sometimes even after dyeing it with a more light chocolate shade, I could swear the roots that grow out are lighter in some spots :confused: So I can't tell if my hair color is mutating or of my eyes are tricking me.

Milui Elenath
July 5th, 2010, 06:45 AM
I am quite relieved to see there are at least a few others.

Maverick494
July 5th, 2010, 07:05 AM
You´re defenitely not alone.

In fact, I have two different hair colours right now. I used to be blonde as a kid, which gradually got darker. Now I´m 22. Most of my hair is brown now, except the front spot where my bangs are: that's blonde. Right now I dye my hair with castings to even out the contrast.

littlenvy
July 5th, 2010, 07:07 AM
I was born with almost white blond hair. VERY light. Then it changed to wheat blonde in my pre-teens and started going that mousy non-colour in my teens. It was ashy in the winter and had highlights in the summer (I guess from the sun).
My hair turned darker after having my son thou. A lot of it fell out too.
It still grows out fine palest blonde around my hairline but gets darker around the crown. I don't like the non-colour so I llighten it now.
In my dads family, all the kids are born blonde. The females remain blonde, just darker more ashy blonde while the males all go brown (medium brown) as soon as they hit puberty.

So I would say that there may be few factors involved. Diet is one, and hormonal changes would be another.

Merewen
July 5th, 2010, 08:17 AM
My hair went from a very light blond to a dirty is-this-still-really-blond color over the years. I think it's pretty typical.

My mom and cousin, though, both went from light blond to darker browns in a matter of a few years. My mom's hair is almost black now.

Sunsailing
July 5th, 2010, 08:18 AM
A friend of mine (she's an MD) told me that your hair changes about every 7 years. Every seven years the color and texture of your hair can change. For example, one could go from straight to wavy.

FrannyG
July 5th, 2010, 08:22 AM
Actually, my hair was a steady dark neutral blonde from toddlerhood until after I had my daughter at 27. After that, it became rather mousy looking, with no natural highlights anymore.

Of course, it was only a year or two after that the the silvers started coming in at an alarming rate and I began colouring it. So how the colour has changed in the last 20 years, aside from getting whiter and whiter, I don't really know.

UltraBella
July 5th, 2010, 08:45 AM
My hair has definitely changed. I am naturally blonde, but after I had my daughter my hair started growing in super dark ash blonde. I really hated it ! It was so ashy it looked almost grey. I started coloring it a beautiful copper red and now, five years later, I have decided the constant root touch-ups are just too much to handle. So I dyed my hair back close to my natural color and now that I have a good two inches or so of virgin roots...... My blonde is so much lighter than it used to be :) still ashy, but quite pretty.
My texture has gotten really wavy and frizzy in the last five years as well.

freezerpop
July 5th, 2010, 08:50 AM
Yep, I was born with curly black hair that fell out and grew back in straight and dark/ashy blonde. It's gotten wavier in the past few years and has gradually darkened to a dark brown with a reddish tint in the sun, and now I'm noticing that my roots are growing out dark blonde around my face.

Hair changes are common in my family, my dad started off with straight blonde hair that turned brown and curly, and my mom's hair went from platinum when she was little to auburn almost black.

Newniepg
July 5th, 2010, 09:10 AM
Well I born blonde which then darkened to a very dark brown. However, I have to say that pregnancy is bringing out the lighter reddish tints in my hair, it isn't my imagination! It got lighter last time I was expecting too!

RachelRain
July 5th, 2010, 09:21 AM
I'm told my mom, my dad, and both of my brothers (well, I can at least vouch for my brothers, because I saw it growing up) were all born blonde and went darker. I was the only one born with dark mousy brown hair.

I did have a couple thick ash blonde streaks that I managed to kill in high school after dying the hell out of my hair... but I think they're slowly coming back now that I haven't dyed in a few years. It's either the blonde or I'm turning grey. I'm not fond of either option. :)

I think my nephews might turn darker as well, both were almost platinum blonde as toddlers, now they're slowly turning more goldy.

boomtownrat
July 5th, 2010, 09:24 AM
Oh yes, I was born with dark red hair that lightened and turned dirty blond by the time I was three, strangely with no reddish tint at all. It stayed dirty blond until I was about nine, when it turned dark brown. It lightened to auburn when I was a teenager and I started finding silver and white hairs at age 14. From age 15 on through my 20s and 30s I usually had it dyed some shade of red or black, but the silvers were really noticeable in my mid-20s. By age 29 I decided to grow it out. It was more than half silver and the rest was blond and red, which was OK but I decided to dye it again out of boredom. When I was 33-ish I chopped it off to find it was salt and pepper - the parts that were previously blond or red had turned a dark steel shade and there was more white and silver than before. Unfortunately I started dyeing it again, but a few months ago I decided to grow out my natural hair, which is almost totally silver with a bit of dark grey at the bottom. I'm sticking with it because at the risk of sounding vain, it's turning out such a nice silver.

MonaMayfair
July 5th, 2010, 09:27 AM
I was born a redhead and wish it hadn't changed! However, within a few weeks it had turned white blonde. It's darkened a bit, but not much. Now it's covered with henna!

I had a friend at school who was born with lots of jet black hair, but by the time I knew her (we were both eleven) her hair was light brown.

littlenvy
July 5th, 2010, 09:30 AM
Oh yes, I was born with dark red hair that lightened and turned dirty blond by the time I was three, strangely with no reddish tint at all. It stayed dirty blond until I was probably about nine, when it turned sort of a chestnut brown. It lightened to auburn when I was a teenager and although I dyed it often from age 15 through my 20s and for most of my 30s, I do know that I started finding silver and white hairs at age 14. By age 29 it was more than half silver and the rest was blond and red, which meant that people thought I was frosting my hair. When I was 33-ish I chopped it all off to find it was salt and pepper - the parts that were previously blond or red had turned a dark steel shade and there was more white and silver than before. Unfortunately I dyed it again, but I'm 37 now and have decided to grow out my natural hair, which is almost totally silver with a bit of dark grey at the bottom.
Is that your picture in your avatar? The silver is your natural?
If that's so then it just BEAUTIFUL!!! :)
I LOVE it! :D It looks spectacular in shine and uniqueness.

Fog
July 5th, 2010, 09:35 AM
I'm naturally blonde, but after dyeing my hair a wash-out dark brown, it hasn't returned to its light shade. Partially I think it's a residual effect from the dark dye, but even my virgin hair is much darker than it was. It's probably just that it hasn't built up years of sun bleaching.

DiablitaNoir
July 5th, 2010, 09:38 AM
I was born pretty much bald and I was bald until about 7 months old and then when I got hair, LOOK OUT! Anyway, when I was little, my hair was dirty blonde/light mousy brown. When I was 13 I started coloring my hair because my natural color is so boring to me and by the time I was in my early-mid 20s, the roots that came in between colorings were like a medium ash brown. I never had any natural red in my hair or complexion. I've colored my hair mostly black over the years but there have been periods where I experimented with cherry red, platinum blonde, pink streaks, purple streaks, blue/purple/green streaks, etc. Then I went back to the trusted black I've been so familiar with all these years. Now I've got a few greys coming in with my roots but since I dye my hair anyway, what do I care? Nothing against grey hair, of course, but it's just not for me.

Kome
July 5th, 2010, 09:40 AM
I was born with dark brown hair that fell out while I was a baby. My hair grew back in bleach blonde and was like this until I was about 7 or 8. It slowly became a dirty blonde and in highschool it was a dark strawberry blonde. Over the last few years since highschool it has become a medium brown with hints of red. I still love the color though. :)

As far as the texture, my hair used to be really wavy and frizzy, but now it's a lot straigther and silkier. Part of this has to do with my hair care routine, but there is definately a difference in texture over the last few years.

Medievalmaniac
July 5th, 2010, 09:44 AM
Another white-blonde who darkened to honey and then to reddish brown. It's surely genetic - wonder what ethnicities this occurs in and to what degree in each? That would be such a fascinating study!!

For my part, my family are German-English on my dad's side, and German-Irish on my mom's side, and I'm pretty much a genetic throwback to the Irish end of things in terms of build, coloring, and overall "ness", lol.

Anlbe
July 5th, 2010, 09:46 AM
Born with pale blonde straight hair, went to dark blonde for teenaged years and then in my twenties went dark brown with quite alot of red in it and gold highlights if I go in the sun. It also went wavy, brittle and thicker in over my twenties. As I don't do direct sun (it hurts) I have the gold highlights artificially put through my hair.

Alaia
July 5th, 2010, 09:57 AM
I had white blonde hair as a child, it darkened.

I'm now a dark blonde, with a red hue (I even found a few bright ginger hairs), but I lighten my hair one shade using dyes (to about the colour it would go if I saw the sun more than a couple of days a year ;) ).

triumphator!
July 5th, 2010, 10:46 AM
My hair started out very dark, almost black, and then faded to a medium brown as a child, and now it is sort of a lightish golden brown. Whats even stranger is that my virgin hair will change colors on the ends as it grows out, it will fade to a copper color. I don't think it is because of damage, though.

Bluegrass Babe
July 5th, 2010, 11:12 AM
I read an article a few years back that hair darkening is one of those biological indicators of declining female fertility. That is why lighter blonde colors are considered (sub-consciencely)more "youthful looking". This is why women darken in late teens and some begin loosing blonde color after each pregnancy. Wish I could remember where I found that.

My childhood friends CD and TS have similar hair stories:

CD was born with jet black hair but it soon fell out and her new hair was nearly platinum. It was regular blonde thru school and slightly darkened after high school. After her DD was born she became a dark ashy blonde and it has remained so.

TS has strangest I ever heard of. She was born blonde-haired and blue-eyed and stayed that way til early elementary school. She them became red-haired and green-eyed! By the 6th grade though, she was brown-haired and brown-eyed! Her mom had a time explaining to visitors that all those pictures on the mantle were the same daughter!!

kristymarie87
July 5th, 2010, 11:50 AM
I dont think mine has changed colour - but i dye it alot so i guess i wouldnt know.

It has changed texture?

Like it was stick stright for years and now im shoulder length and it looks like it has waves.

Has anyone had this?

sugarpixie10988
July 5th, 2010, 12:12 PM
I was born with jet black hair. As I got older it lightened to brown, then bright orange, then lightened from orange all the way to platinum blonde! After it turned platinum blonde it's been slowly darkening into its current dark blonde. My moms hair was very blonde when she was younger too, as she got older it darkened until it turned dark brown in her 30s. I'm not sure for the cause of it, but it's sure interesting!

Bluegrass Babe
July 5th, 2010, 12:48 PM
To kristymarie87:
My hair was pin straight, smooth, and stringy. Until DS came along... Now my hair is slightly wavy, fluffy, and gets frizzy when its humid.

I think the change is partly due to aging process and partly due to hormonal changes (birth control included).

haibane
July 5th, 2010, 12:55 PM
I had strawberry blonde hair as a child, which darkened to some kind of reddish light brown, and now it's medium brown with some very subtle red undertones.
I just started henna glossing to get some red back in there. :)

My maternal grandmother had golden hair when she was 3, which darkened all the way to chestnut brown by the time she was 20.

Eolan
July 5th, 2010, 01:22 PM
I was born with jet black hair. All my childhood, however, I was blonde. Went from white blonde to a more golden blonde. In my teens I darkened to an ashy color. Now I have a color that is somewhere between light brown and dark blonde, with some red and golden tints to it. I blame hormons. And genes. :D

PiroskaCicu
July 5th, 2010, 01:26 PM
I was born with dark chestnut brown hair...but later pictures of me (3-4) reveal light golden brown hair. It stayed quite light until around 12-14 when it seemed REALLY dark at the roots and my hair became a much darker brown. Now it's light golden brown again. I think it's because of the hormone changes at that age.

lara grace
July 5th, 2010, 02:00 PM
When I was born, my hair was black at the ends and there was a straight line where it started to grow dark blonde from the roots.. weird. My hair started growing black then decided to be blonde! I wish my parents had a lock of it, but my granny cut off the black bits because she didnt approve hehe.

squiggyflop
July 5th, 2010, 04:55 PM
i was born with reddish wispys.. then i was basically bald for a while
as a child i had chestnuty hair
then in high school my hair was long enough to bleach in the sun.. so the canopy was auburn..

also when i hit puberty my hair went from stick straight to wavy

ObsidianShimmer
July 5th, 2010, 07:40 PM
It's interesting how hair color changes. Mine is black, with random strands of naturally brown, blond, red, and white. It sounds weird, but apparently it's normal for my family. I've had this color all my life, but some people in my family go from platinum blond at birth to darker blond and then to medium brown. My little cousin's hair is brownish, but what's weird is that you can still see white-blond patches. I've never seen a brown-haired person with white patches...Has anyone ever heard of that?

Bluegrass Babe
July 5th, 2010, 09:16 PM
I've never seen a brown-haired person with white patches...Has anyone ever heard of that?

It's your family birthmark!

My dad's cousin has this birthmark. Just like Stacy London's only more of a solid chunk. She inherited it from her mother's side of the family. Many of them have it.

Several years ago I read an article in Reader's Digest (?) about a family with this same birthmark. I think the family name was Springer and they were in the west, maybe NW. Every family reunion they took a group photo of the "streakers" in the family. There were quite a few - it seemed to be a strong trait with them.

I only remember it (though vaguely) because I wanted to ask my cousin if maybe she could be related to this family.

On another note - I believe there is an old wives' tale that says babies born with this are blessed by an "Angel's Kiss" on their heads!:)

NorthernDancer
July 5th, 2010, 09:39 PM
I was born dark brown (which is what both my parents are) but by toddler age I was light blond. It stayed that light blond until my early teens, then it started changing to ash blond, which I didn't like and colored the daylights out of trying to keep it that light blond I had as a kid. I'm the only one in my family that has ash blond hair. My mom had ash blond-ish for a short time around 12 or 14 I think, but then went back to dark brown.

I'm now trying to grow out my color, not because I've suddenly decided I like my natural color, but because I'm trying to be as natural as possible.

TS has strangest I ever heard of. She was born blonde-haired and blue-eyed and stayed that way til early elementary school. She them became red-haired and green-eyed! By the 6th grade though, she was brown-haired and brown-eyed! Her mom had a time explaining to visitors that all those pictures on the mantle were the same daughter!!

From what I understand people who are are blue-eyed as a child (not an infant, but 5+ years old) and turn brown is because of a health problem. Might not be the case with this woman, but I've heard of several people who with the right diet/supplements went back to the blue they had as a child.

maria_asa
July 6th, 2010, 01:10 AM
I was born with jet black hair. All my childhood, however, I was blonde. Went from white blonde to a more golden blonde. In my teens I darkened to an ashy color. Now I have a color that is somewhere between light brown and dark blonde, with some red and golden tints to it. I blame hormons. And genes. :D

My hair changed exactly like this as well.

Hiriel
July 6th, 2010, 01:14 AM
My hair was the palest blonde before I started school. Around age 5-6, it started darkening, until it was quite dark brown when I was about 13. Since then it has turned into a lighter brown with more red in it.

JenniferNoel
July 6th, 2010, 07:04 AM
Born black haired. As in, jet black. At age 8, medium/dark brown. Age 12 was a tawny with a tiny bit of red. After that I started covering the ugly color (made me look sickly) with dyes. Now my un-indigoed roots tell me it's still tawny.

Bluegrass Babe
July 6th, 2010, 12:38 PM
From what I understand people who are are blue-eyed as a child (not an infant, but 5+ years old) and turn brown is because of a health problem. Might not be the case with this woman, but I've heard of several people who with the right diet/supplements went back to the blue they had as a child.

She was in dance, gymnastics, and school sports; health physicals never turned up any illness as far as I know. No one from my home town or other friends I see at school reunions has mentioned any illness, just the usual marriage, kids, elderly parents updates.

But that is really interesting. Any idea what medical condition that may be?

NorthernDancer
July 7th, 2010, 12:21 PM
She was in dance, gymnastics, and school sports; health physicals never turned up any illness as far as I know. No one from my home town or other friends I see at school reunions has mentioned any illness, just the usual marriage, kids, elderly parents updates.

But that is really interesting. Any idea what medical condition that may be?

I don't think it's an exact medical condition, so much as a imbalance in your body. The owner of a local health food store had this problem, and it was many, many years (I think 10+ years) after going "healthy" that her eyes changed back to blue. I don't remember if it was something specific that she did, but apparently this even affects people who seem healthy but have this underlying imbalance in their system.

Oh, and you said her eyes went green before they went brown, which would make sense, since brown has yellow in it and what happens when you add yellow to blue? You get green!

Bluegrass Babe
July 7th, 2010, 09:05 PM
NorthernDancer -
It would be hard to imagine that she had a deficiency. I don't mean to be rude by putting her in unflattering terms, but she ate like a starving teen-aged boy! And wasn't a picky eater, either. She was built like Mary Lou Retton, had great teeth and nails, and had shiny hair. But I know great looks may not tell the full story.

sorry for the hi-jack!

Charlotte:)
July 7th, 2010, 10:15 PM
Mine has changed several times.

Katze
July 8th, 2010, 12:51 AM
another one here. I had color as well as texture changes.

Born bald, by the time I was one I had fine, white-blonde, straight hair. This darkened to a medium blonde as an older child, then in puberty went dark AND wavy.

Now my natural color seems to be a light ash brown with gold highlights (and some silvers - another change!) but the texture seems to be changing again too, and I am getting wavier (corkscrew ringlets coming in under mostly straight hair!)

It is genetic and quite normal. I think hormones (not just in puberty) also play a role too.

shilpa733
July 10th, 2010, 09:03 AM
never happened with me

blondecat
July 10th, 2010, 10:16 AM
I was posting in another thread about how my hair colour has changed since birth to 18 naturally (without dyes.)

These are the colour changes:
I was born with red hair (bright auburn) that fell out and went blonde then gradually darkened to a medium brown with fair streaks that between 15 and 16 went copper and settled finally on auburn at 18. Where it has remained until now as I am getting greys and I have henna'd.

There must be others out there who's hair has changed, are there? :confused: Does anyone have an explanation for why this might be? Am I just odd? :D

Yes, my hair hair totally natural and colour changes from year to year. and even month to month. At the moment, it almost looks light Red. In summer, it can be somewhat white or pale gold.

Bethie
July 10th, 2010, 10:20 AM
My hair has steadily grown darker since I was 16. However I noticed the biggest changes when I was preggers with my children. Now however my hair can't get much darker, I can't wait to see if it begins to lighten up again.

my2cats1
July 10th, 2010, 02:44 PM
When I was little, my hair was straighter and much, much darker -- almost black. By the time I got into high school it was med brown and a bit of a wave had developed. I had never connected it with hormones, but that does make sense.

KittyLost
July 11th, 2010, 03:49 AM
My friend's hair has done this, as a child up until the age of 12 she was bright blonde, baby blonde. Then into her teens her hair started turning ginger, darkening the blonde. And now as she is heading towards the age of 20 her hair is getting darker still and becoming light brown.

She has never dyed her hair in her life, wouldn't even know what hair dye was!

Tabihito
July 11th, 2010, 09:55 AM
I was born with black hair, but that eventually fell out and replaced with lightish brown hair, which gradually got darker and is now a sort of dark reddish brown.

My dad had brown hair as a kid which eventually turned black, and my two brothers had almost white hair. One now has dark brown, and the other is still a sort of dirty blonde.

spidermom
July 11th, 2010, 10:22 AM
To be sure. It started out white/silvery blonde, went darker to something in a mid-range golden blonde, and now is going white/silvery blonde again. Full circle. I hope I don't go all the way back to bald, like when I was an infant.

BelleBot
July 11th, 2010, 10:35 AM
I started off with jet black hair, which then turned white blonde. Over the years since then it's turned from white blonde, to golden blonde to ashy blonde to a mousey dark blonde which is my current natural colour hiding under the henna.
It's been lots of other colours but not naturally :p It's red at the moment.