PDA

View Full Version : Rapunzel, Rapunzel, Let Down Your Hair!

Kuchen
May 14th, 2008, 07:38 AM
A friend just sent me this link to an article from the New York Review of Books about a SLEW of new titles on Rapunzel (http://www.nybooks.com/articles/21318)(something to do with Disney, I wonder?). Enjoy!

PS – Pegs, you're going to love this.

Guenever
May 14th, 2008, 08:15 AM
Thank you for sharing, Kuchen! :D Very interesting - I really enjoyed the article - and can't wait for the movie to be released!

Dvips
May 14th, 2008, 08:40 AM
Cool article - thanks for the post!

freznow
May 14th, 2008, 02:10 PM
Neat! I enjoyed [most of] that article! I haven't really read Rapunzel stories, it's not nearly as popular as, say, Cinderella (of course.) Maybe it will be after the movie release...

Faepirate
May 14th, 2008, 02:50 PM
Cool article. :cool:

I'll have to look into some of these!

I've always been totally enthralled by how multifaceted fairytales are and how they can mirror modern life in images and symbols; to me they're so obviously timeless (so I guess I don't think they seem irrelevant or implausible at all but hey :p). I'm an unashamed fairytale addict and of all the better-known fairytales, Rapunzel is one of my favourites. It's so rich in possible interpretations. I sort of collect Rapunzel songs (so if anyone can recommend any particularly good ones... :D)

Beatnik Guy
May 14th, 2008, 04:02 PM
Thanks for sharing this, Kuchen. Fascinating!

Kuchen
May 14th, 2008, 11:20 PM
The bit about Ranpunzel's long hair being disabling reminded me of Colette's autobiographical writing. As young girls, but she and her sister has floor length hair because it was their mother's idea. There's a great blog post with some quotes here (http://ofbooksandbikes.blogspot.com/2006/05/colettes-hair.html) with some of the quotes. Colette used her hair as a whip, a rope – something active. Her sister (can't find these quotations) seems weighed down by hers and by her own femininity. I think it's in my old journal; I should go root it out.

DaveDecker
May 15th, 2008, 06:44 PM
Thank you, Kuchen, for sharing this very interesting link. :)

Pegasus Marsters
May 15th, 2008, 07:02 PM
Thank you so much ^.^ I've really enjoyed reading that and I think I might go to the library next week.

Patrycja
May 15th, 2008, 09:13 PM
thanks for that Kuchen :flowers: very interesting :)

Nynaeve
May 15th, 2008, 10:00 PM
Thanks for the link, Kuchen!