PDA

View Full Version : It's been dyed, bleached, permed, chopped, melted and more.

MoldyCake
May 14th, 2008, 07:31 AM
:cheese:
Hello everyone, I've been lurking for about a month now- and finally decided to join up. I have been growing my hair out since January after a failed attempt to go platinum blonde. It's been a really... interesting process.
When I was fifteen my hair was to the small of my back and was this really deep cherry red, it was also curly (thanks to the help of a perm). I then decided to hack it all off (3 inches above shoulder), bleach it and dye it blue, which was cool for a bit, then I went strawberry blonde when it hid my shoulders.. then I went black. It was black for a year and in Jan. I had my sister, who is the only person I trust to touch my hair make me blonde. I pushed her to try and get it platinum but instead of that happening, on the third bleaching, I lost quite a bit of hair and my remaining hair had the texture of snot while wet. It ended up being a very buttery blonde, which was pretty, but I don't think it fit me well.
In feb, I did a very light chocolate brown on it. Still not dark enough, didn't look quite right in my opinion.
March, a darker chocolate, started to look better.
April, Black, shiny, dark, edgy... oh I missed it very much! I am content again.
Thanks to one hour deep conditioning treatments every week, and cold water washes, my hair is no longer snotty while wet, and its no longer like straw when dry. Slowly its turning into my old hair again. A fact that makes me giddy.
Even though I get the occasional Elvira reference, (I have a very milky complexion and usually have dark smoky eye makeup on.) I really think I look best this way. Also, why would I be insulted to be referred to Elvira? She was freaking awesome in the day.
Anyways, I just wanted to introduce myself, share some hair horror and let you all know how much I admire your dedication to hair care. I aspire to care for my locks as well as all of you do.
My goal, is to grow my hair out to my waist, keep it black, and hopefully thicken it out again, since pre-bleaching my hair was so thick and silky from constant conditioning and deposit only color that it makes me cringe thinking about what I’ve done to it.

lora410
May 14th, 2008, 07:42 AM
welcome if you enjoy black hair i suggest you check out the henna thread. It will strengthen your hair and give it shine. i think we all have hair horror stories. I used to blow fry and straighten my hair daily. After my dd was born it got so knotted i hacked it all off (almost waist length hair) Now I got rid of the blow fryer and straightener, started using friendly shampoo bars, and shampoos on my head. I also oil every night and braid or bun my hair. I honestly thought hair this nice and soft was IMPOSSIBLE, and finding LHC has been the best thing for me and my hair.

Isilme
May 14th, 2008, 07:54 AM
welcome! When I read you want it black I couldn't keep from recommending henna and indigo!:) See the henna thread and www.hennaforhair.com I haven't used indigo on hair myself, but I have used henna since before I joined here, let's say it has saved my hair from breaking off when I had dyed it red two times in a row. (wow, dying red two times in a row seems like nothing compared to what you'r hair has been trough;))
oh, and skip the acid talk henna for hair has, acid makes for dry hair and lighter stain.

<She>
May 14th, 2008, 08:00 AM
Hello, welcome!
It seems you did a lot of things on your hair that were damaging. You will continue doing things, but of course, they will now be beneficial and good for the hair. :)
And as for the Elvira reference, that is a compliment! ( at least if someone would tell me that)

justgreen
May 14th, 2008, 01:24 PM
Hi and welcome to the boards!

Nynaeve
May 14th, 2008, 04:13 PM
Hi and welcome! Hope you find something helpful for your growth process, and even if you don't fid the perfect routine super fast, we're all interesting people and fun to talk to. :wink:

jojo
May 14th, 2008, 06:35 PM
hi welcome to the LHC dont beat yourself up over this, we have all made mistakes with our hair, we cant change the past but we can make the future better, ive learnt loads here in the 9 months ive been a member keep reading, posting and babying your hair it will thank you for it xxx

Riot Crrl
May 14th, 2008, 06:59 PM
I would concur that black can be acheived with a two step henna and indigo process, with no damage and actual improvement of hair. However it's permanent and can be nigh impossible (if not totally impossible) to bleach out, so make sure it's what you want first.

Welcome!

suicides_eve
May 14th, 2008, 07:07 PM
HI i went though the same thing i and now i am 9 months in with healthy virgin hair. My hair was so damaged from bleach it laid straight- i have since discovered i have beautiful spiral curls forming!

RavennaNight
May 15th, 2008, 08:49 PM
Hi! I'm fairly new too and a black hair dyer. I went from bleached blonde for 10 years to red to manic panic "nuclear red" to blonde with black bangs. :( Then blonde again for a year and since 2005, blue black. I hacked off all the bleach damage in 09/05 into one of those Aeon Flux cuts and have been growing since. I'm at midback and my next stop is waist and then tailbone if it doesn't hit terminal before then. Ive looked into henna & indigo but I got mad cold feet! So much to mix! But I also want to keep the blue black. Welcome to adventures and experiments in healthy healthy hair growing! :)