PDA

View Full Version : Black streaks in henna (pics)

morecowbell
July 4th, 2010, 12:35 PM
I've done black streaks before, and the 'dye itch' was driving me crazy, so I thought, "what the heck, I'm growing this color out anyway!" :)

I've got about 2.5" of virgin hair, and the rest is bleached out orange henna.

I'm really happy with the way it turned out, and I feel like it really breaks up the line of demarcation! :)

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z191/shroomynadia/IMG_1903small.jpg

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z191/shroomynadia/IMG_1908small.jpg

I wonder what I'm going to have to do to stop myself from dying my hair when it's all virgin?.... :o

2peasinapod
July 4th, 2010, 12:36 PM
Very cool! What a striking effect! Both colors look great on you! :)

Sammich
July 4th, 2010, 12:39 PM
Oh wow! I had the exact same feeling as you. :) The dye itch is a horrible one. At least now the dye I have growing out will be fun for a while, instead of the boring other one! :)
Beautiful colour, love the contrast. I love contrasting colours. :D
I'm thinking the same question for myself... ;)

Loreley
July 4th, 2010, 12:39 PM
Wow, it looks awesome! :D

morecowbell
July 4th, 2010, 12:41 PM
Oh wow! I had the exact same feeling as you. :) The dye itch is a horrible one. At least now the dye I have growing out will be fun for a while, instead of the boring other one! :)
Beautiful colour, love the contrast. I love contrasting colours. :D
I'm thinking the same question for myself... ;)

Jinx! :D

Thanks everybody! :) :) :) It's great to hear that I'm not crazy, hehe. :D

minaa
July 4th, 2010, 12:50 PM
Lovely streaks! What do you mean by bleached out? It looks dark to me, still. Unless you mean bleached, and then henna'd.

naereid
July 4th, 2010, 12:52 PM
You look so happy in that second picture, it's infectuous. :heartbeat

spidermom
July 4th, 2010, 12:54 PM
Oh how very cool; I like it. You can always scratch your dye itch with deposit-only colors that gradually wash out instead of permanent ones. I did magenta in panels for Easter this year (documented in photo album).

morecowbell
July 4th, 2010, 12:55 PM
Lovely streaks! What do you mean by bleached out? It looks dark to me, still. Unless you mean bleached, and then henna'd.

Thank you! :)

It started out this color
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=5121&pictureid=66826

And I used developer to lighten it a bit in the hopes of dying over it (lol, yeah right) :)

morecowbell
July 4th, 2010, 12:58 PM
Oh how very cool; I like it. You can always scratch your dye itch with deposit-only colors that gradually wash out instead of permanent ones. I did magenta in panels for Easter this year (documented in photo album).

That's very true, and that color is fantastic! :) The only reason I went with permanent dye this time, is that it's too much work to keep with streaks, and I'm cutting the henna out at some point... I think... hehe :o

JenniferNoel
July 4th, 2010, 01:28 PM
I love it! Ha! Reminds me of how I had my hair at one time, about hip length, all light blonde with black stripes and a little bit of blue. I think I've had them both horizontal and vertical over the course of my life. LOL. It was a great contrast though. I love the striped look, and your henna color is gorgeous, too. Glad it turned out so well!

Newniepg
July 4th, 2010, 01:34 PM
I like it, I think it is unusual (that is, I haven't seen it before) but it really suits you. :)

Kome
July 4th, 2010, 01:47 PM
Very nice! I like it a lot. I know how to feel about dying your hair. I'm keeping my bangs bleach blonde as I grow out the rest of my hair with henna in it. If I have the urge to dye in the future I have compromised on doing just the tips, streaks, or bangs of my hair. If I want to do a bright funky color then I have to go buy bright pink eyeshadow or blue, etc. instead. :P

Toadstool
July 4th, 2010, 02:32 PM
that looks great!

linda g
July 4th, 2010, 02:46 PM
Striking! Very nice.

Peter
July 4th, 2010, 03:30 PM
I think that looks really cool! :D

squiggyflop
July 4th, 2010, 03:35 PM
well i personally like it..

oh and when your hair is virgin you can always satisfy your dye itch with a deposit only wash out in 10 washes color..

tofuowl
July 4th, 2010, 04:01 PM
Very pretty!! Those colors striped remind me of a tiger lol.

May
July 4th, 2010, 06:02 PM
So if you had 2.5" of virgin growth why did you streak it black?:confused: How will your hair be all virgin then? Did you not streak the virgin growth? I'm obviously confused lol. Thanks! Looks cool by the way.

triumphator!
July 4th, 2010, 06:49 PM
Very cool! I had sort of the inverse of this when I was in high school. Your hair has such pretty texture and body.

freckles
July 5th, 2010, 07:39 AM
it looks very cool! :D

morecowbell
July 5th, 2010, 12:14 PM
Thank you so much, everyone! The positive feedback is great to hear/read! :D :D :D This is such a supportive community! :)

So if you had 2.5" of virgin growth why did you streak it black?:confused: How will your hair be all virgin then? Did you not streak the virgin growth? I'm obviously confused lol. Thanks! Looks cool by the way.
I left the virgin growth untouched for the most part :) Just couldn't bring myself to lose my progress.

Very pretty!! Those colors striped remind me of a tiger lol.

OMGOSH!:cheese: That made me so happy! :D I also have a butterfly tattoo that's red, orange, yellow, and black, so it matches that as well. :cool:

morecowbell
July 8th, 2010, 09:07 AM
I'm really loving how much 'edgier' I feel now, lol :))
Here's some pics of what it looks like in 'updos' (ponytail and scrunchied, spiky cinnabun)

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z191/shroomynadia/IMG_1924.jpg

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z191/shroomynadia/IMG_1920.jpg

I added a few more streaks to the bottom so now there's five on top, and three on the underlayer. :)

I couldn't be happier with how it looks! :D And thank you all again for the support/encouragement/compliments! :) :) :)

Paniscus
July 8th, 2010, 10:39 AM
I had to think about that for a moment.. "dye itch"... duh, I'm moving slow today.

Your hair looks great! Very edgy indeed! And so thick! Makes me want to add a streak to mine, just not sure which color.