PDA

View Full Version : Ingenious or reprehensible?

Les
May 14th, 2008, 07:21 AM
I was driving around the other day and got stuck at a train crossing. I started scanning my hair, which turned into an impromptu search-and-destroy effort. I found some lovely split ends, but realized I didn't have any scissors. Then genius (or insanity) struck. I put one of the split ends between my incisors and snipped it right off. My teeth were amazingly good at cleanly severing individual split ends.

The cuts look clean to me, but is this a good idea? bad idea? or something that I should only do in secret and never tell anyone about?

lora410
May 14th, 2008, 07:29 AM
Well you just told all of LHC:lol: I do this once in awhile but I try not to make a habit out of it or else that's all I would be doing.

harley mama
May 14th, 2008, 07:32 AM
Since I have a tendency toward mild OCD I try to keep things out of my mouth or I might develop a nasty another habit.

MoldyCake
May 14th, 2008, 07:35 AM
I've done that, it seems to work really well... but make sure strangers don't see you putting your hair in your mouth. Remember, to some people it might seem a bit strange.

Lady Godiva
May 14th, 2008, 07:50 AM
Les, I've done that in a pinch (pun intended). Usually I keep a pair of mustache scissors in my purse and use them.

Dvips
May 14th, 2008, 07:50 AM
If the cut is truly a clean cut, then it should be fine. But I think it would be difficult to tell without a magnifying glass...?

My understanding is that anything other than a clean cut leaves the hair more vulnerable to splitting.

Anje
May 14th, 2008, 08:32 AM
I do that, but I'm afraid the cut isn't as clean as it looks. After all, a single hair cut with dullish scissors usually looks pretty good too, at least at first.

At the same time, I resist getting a pair of mustache scissors to carry along. If I'm able to trim splits away from home, I might start doing it everywhere...

Les
May 14th, 2008, 04:34 PM
Well you just told all of LHC:lol: We're all friends here and don't mind sharing our most atrocious secrets :)

Thanks for the advice everyone, I'll try it sometime I have a magnifying glass handy and see if the cut is really is as clean as it appears to the naked eye.

jojo
May 14th, 2008, 04:51 PM
i do this sometimes too, ive also pulled the end of the split out in desperate times!

alligatorbaby23
May 14th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Eek! Yes I have done this, only with the most juicy ones though. I am afraid I will not be able to find them again. I also do this with fairy knots. I know it is not as nice as a good pair of scissors, but my rationalizing is that if it gets lost in the mayhem of my hair and life, I may forget about it, and splits in my hair mean massive tangles etc..

lacereza
May 14th, 2008, 09:00 PM

Kleis
May 14th, 2008, 09:18 PM
So, here's another thing. I used to have a biting-splits thing as an actual habit over a really long period of time. I don't know when I picked it up, but it persisted for years.

Um. You can actually notch your teeth by doing this.

I quit superfast when I bit a hair one day and felt a pain shoot through the area I was biting down on. If you look closely at my right incisor, there's a nice little notch toward the left side of the tooth. No more, oh, no.

Saranne772
May 15th, 2008, 10:33 AM
I used to do this and still do occasionally. But I am trying not too because I dont think the cut is straight and more split ends develop again!

spidermom
May 15th, 2008, 11:34 AM
I once did that and realized in that instant that I had become unhealthily obsessed. Now if I happen to notice a split and have no sharp scissors nearby, I hurriedly push my hair out of my sight.

MakeItADouble
May 15th, 2008, 01:06 PM
So, here's another thing. I used to have a biting-splits thing as an actual habit over a really long period of time. I don't know when I picked it up, but it persisted for years.

Um. You can actually notch your teeth by doing this.

I quit superfast when I bit a hair one day and felt a pain shoot through the area I was biting down on. If you look closely at my right incisor, there's a nice little notch toward the left side of the tooth. No more, oh, no.

Ouch, ouch, ouch. I hate dental problems!

I don't bite my hair, but I will yoink out a split end from time to time if there are no scissors.

Elle
May 15th, 2008, 01:12 PM
I remember seeing magnified photos of hair that had been cut with dull and sharp scissors. There's a big difference. Like others have said, anything other than sharp scissors will probably leave you with an end that will turn into one of those gnarly "broomy" splits. :shake:

Nynaeve
May 16th, 2008, 04:45 PM
I've done it before at well, I use my teeth to cut everything in a pinch, including tags off of clothing. :o
I try really hard to keep scissors around, but they somehow (cat and niece) seem to get lost easily....

Nynaeve
May 16th, 2008, 04:46 PM
I once did that and realized in that instant that I had become unhealthily obsessed. Now if I happen to notice a split and have no sharp scissors nearby, I hurriedly push my hair out of my sight.

Haha. I've gotten to that point as well. I try to just not look at my ends very often. Of course the times when you don't have scissors are usually the times when you have the best lighting. :rolleyes: