PDA

View Full Version : Ways to strengthen hair

alwayssmiling
July 4th, 2010, 03:28 AM
Ok. I have stopped heat styling, taken up henna and DTing twice a week. My only vice is washing everyday using a sulfate shampoo, but always a moisturising one. But over the past few days I've noticed the dreaded white dots are back, I'm definitely getting more breakage and it seems that my left side is a little shorter than my right :(. I tie my hair up at night and sleep on a silk satin pillow.

Have you any strengthening tips please?

TIA

jane01
July 4th, 2010, 04:38 AM
Maybe try keeping in a loose bun in the day, take 'abc plus multivitamins' and drinks plenty of water.

christine1989
July 4th, 2010, 05:03 AM
Oiling the ends to keep them well hydrated at all times really helped me. I find that letting them soak for an hour in a mixture of coconut and castor oil before I wash my hair works wonders. You should also oil or use a leave in conditioner after you shampoo every time (especially after using sulfate shampoo).

Dragon
July 4th, 2010, 05:05 AM
Maybe cut back on how often you wash it and start oiling the scalp and ends a few hours to the night before you wash your hair with coconut oil. If you need to wash your hair every day because your scalp is to oily, try using coconut oil just on your ends instead. Olive oil also helps but hard to wash out and I find it doesent leave my hair feeling as good. Leaving in jojoba oil in the ends of your hair or using a leave in conditioner might all so help. And also a deep conditioning shampoo and conditioner might or so help. Hope i've been able to help.

alwayssmiling
July 4th, 2010, 11:02 AM
Thanks for your replies. Yes Dragon that was of help thanks. I used to coconut my hair every night to wash in the morning but I have totally got out of the habit. Will buy some tomorrow. I have also clarified this afternoon because the ends were a bit "sticky" and my length was definitely rough. I have done major S&D which I haven't done for a long time. I've measured my hair and I don't seem to have lost any length thank goodness.

Do you think cones cause breakage?

GoddesJourney
July 4th, 2010, 11:12 AM
I find that cones hide damage that was already there. They also help protect already damaged hair from actually breaking. Some cones actually dry out your hair. It depends on the type of cones and your hair type. What might work for you is switching to a milder shampoo so you can still wash every day but cause less damage. I find that heavy conditioners (not with cones, just slightly oily) make my hair thicker. Also, with the idea of washing daily because of oily scalp, a milder shampoo would be a baby step in letting your scalp adjust to not overproducing sebum as much. It worked for me as my scalp has always been really oily. I went from daily use of SLS shampoo to CO with a heavy conditioner and a mild scalp shampooing maybe once per week. My hair is now much thicker. My damaged ends are still breaking but at a slower rate and I'm seeing no new damage.

little_cherry
July 4th, 2010, 11:24 AM
Usually moisturising shampoos contain `cones.. I think GoddesJourney hit the nail on the head with this one- cones do hide damage. As already mentioned, back off on the washings; I found that when I was using SLS, my hair would get oily very fast...now that I am cone and sulfate free, I can go a week without washing my hair.

Try SMT-ing (1 part pure aloe, 1 part honey/golden syrup/maple syrup/molasses, 4 parts cone free and protein free conditioner) after clarifying + 10 minute protein treatment and let the SMT soak for several hours. Sometimes the clarifying+protein+moisture routine is all you need..Personally, I oil my hair (lightly) after these treatments to help seal in moisture.