PDA

View Full Version : Advice for my boyfriend?

Bloodheart
July 3rd, 2010, 07:47 PM
Just a quick post to see if anyone has any suggestions for my boyfriend.

He has mid-back length hair, 1C, thick and coarse.
Really can't find a good photo of his hair.

He has a serious problem with his hair right now, in that it is stupidly frizzy...I mean REALLY frizzy, and trust me I know frizz. Bless him, it's really getting him down and I'm not sure what to suggest to him to help.

He used to straighten his hair as a way to deal with the frizz, but it was destroying his hair so he's been straightener-free for at least 6 months now. I tried getting him to go CO as this totally got rid of my frizz, but it just didn't work for his hair. Right now he's got our cupboard filled with commercial frizz treatments - including a lovely pink bottle he carries with him (oh so manly, lol) - but nothing seems to work. He's tried as many different shampoos and conditioners, but most seem to make his hair even worse.

He is using my coconut oil, which is at least helping to smooth it down a bit when he ties his hair back, but do you all have any other suggestions for him?

Jessica Trapp
July 3rd, 2010, 08:13 PM
What is his hair care routine?

jes

christine1989
July 3rd, 2010, 08:34 PM
Coconut oil greatly helped my frizz but it was not instant- it took a good two weeks of regular use. The only thing that has ever eliminated my frizz completely is castor oil. I put it mainly on my scalp with a SMALL amount on my ends, let it sit for an hour then wash it out. It usually CO washes out just fine but even when I use shampoo it eliminates most all of the frizz.

mira-chan
July 3rd, 2010, 08:39 PM
He has been straightening his hair? Then he might not be a 1C and the frizz could be curl coming back with better care. Have you done the "air dry after wash without touching" test for hair type, no combing or other handling?

The amount of frizz you describe would likely have two reasons curls or damage from straightening. Curls require a different care routine to look better. Damage can be hidden with silicones and helped somewhat with oiling but there is no fixing it.

HairColoredHair
July 3rd, 2010, 08:50 PM
How does he deal with his hair?

Many curlies find that their hair should be combed/brushed before or during a shower and then not touched at all while drying.

spidermom
July 3rd, 2010, 09:09 PM
I'd guess his hair is curlier than he thinks and whatever he does with his hair after washing is breaking up the curl pattern. He might try combing conditioner through in the shower, then maybe running some gelled fingers through his hair and after that NO TOUCHING; see what his hair looks like then.

Dragon
July 4th, 2010, 01:47 AM
leaving in some jojoba oil make help. I find it helps with mine.

Dreams_in_Pink
July 4th, 2010, 03:19 AM
I know what you mean, i'm also combating frizzy-puffy coarse hair. What i found out is that as others mentioned, NOT combing the day after wash eliminates frizz to a great extend (and i didn't even use a conditioner!) But i admit it will be hard not to use a comb after wash, it's very tempting :(

Thinthondiel
July 4th, 2010, 08:16 AM
The only thing that's ever made me frizz-free is WO (ETA: and my hair is normally very frizzy, but was completely frizz-free when I did WO), so if he's willing to go through a greasy transition period, he could try that. I'd suggest trying spidermom's method first, though, in case he just happens to be wavier than he thinks.

MicheleClaire
July 4th, 2010, 08:40 AM
My boyfriend is like this too ^.^ If I find a solution, I'll tell you! I do think the first step is to let it air dry from almost dripping, don't touch it, that way you can better categorize his hair. Good luck!

Torrin Paige
July 4th, 2010, 09:26 AM
My hubby has a lot of natural wave/curl and when he just lets it air dry, it's a poof ball. He uses a leave-in conditioner, combs it through and then pulls it back into a pony to dry. It seems to really help tame the wildness. It's a learning experience for us as his hair type is completely different than mine. So much of my hair knowledge is useless when it comes to his head. :shrug:

GoddesJourney
July 4th, 2010, 09:46 AM
Well, aside from his hair probably not being as straight as he thinks it is (or maybe it used to be and changed over time), you may just need a heavier conditioner. My hair is M/C and I can't use light conditioners all the time. I CO and most of the time I use Garnier Fructise Triple Nutrition because it is oily and heavy. I especially need this on the damaged ends that I have. You mentioned he acquired a lot of damage from straightening. It could be that that damage is making his hair frizzy and that he needs to CO with something heavy for awhile before it starts to lay down/grow out. Mine is 1c/2a, which means that it is never really straight, nor wavy. The waviness does, though, tend to become curly frizz when it's really dry or damaged. Some of those ends simply need to be cut off and I've been growing mine out now for almost a year. The difference is truly amazing. I've had really frizzy hair my whole life and nothing ever made any noteable difference consistently. I even bought a couple of bottles of thick, hair silicone about a year and a half ago. Getting rid of cones and especially sulphates in the end made it less frizzy, but only heavy CO really did it for me.