PDA

View Full Version : My first fake dread :P

Fethenwen
July 3rd, 2010, 01:13 PM
So I found some organic wool that I made a fake dread out of, I'm planning to make a few more. I was really lucky to find a color that was quite near my own.
I'm quite excited :cheese: This is something I have wanted to do for some time now.

I fastened it by braiding it to my hair:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2829&pictureid=75870

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2829&pictureid=75871

I think I will do some that are a little thicker too. If anyone has a better idea for fastening it, I'm all ears! :flower:

Edit: Though I do like the look of a braided dread. But it might not be the best way to fasten it.

kwaniesiam
July 3rd, 2010, 01:16 PM
http://quinnster.fqdn.net/dreads/

Check out that site, tons of info on installing synthetic dread extensions.

The wool is nice but I'd recommend getting some fake hair or taking extra precaution with the wool. It can get wet and mold quite easily and doesn't hold up very well. of course that isn't a problem unless you want to keep them in for a longer period of time. HTH!

Fethenwen
July 4th, 2010, 01:11 AM
Thanks I will look into that!

Yeah, I've heard about the wool mold issue, I'm not planning to wear these for any longer periods.

Fethenwen
July 4th, 2010, 09:38 AM
Ok, I just added some more :disco: Loving it!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2829&pictureid=75920

Ok, I will stop bumping my own thread now :p

WyrdWay
July 4th, 2010, 10:18 AM
The wool can dread with your own hair that you have it braided too, since it is a natural fiber. I wouldn't keep them in for long.

Synthetic hair shouldn't dread with your really hair as much, neither should the synthetic yarn, real yarn might bleed color on to your clothes and hair though.

Your dreads do look really good though! I made some black and green ones from synthetic hair but never made enough for my own head.

Drynwhyl
July 4th, 2010, 11:43 AM
I really like the look! :) Would have never thought of doing this :P
I just love henna-red hair + dreads. I'll have them one day! *shakes fist*

pennyroyal
July 4th, 2010, 11:50 AM
ooh, I am growin out dreadies again too & I am so excited! I haven't brushed my hair in almost a month & i am slowly backcombing some to speed up the process. We can be dready buddies. :pAre you gonna do the extensions permenately or just till your hair naps up itself? They look very cool so far. :)

Drynwhyl
July 4th, 2010, 11:59 AM
penny I think not brushing won't really do anything until like, bsl :P
But good luck on the long journey! I'm glad you decided to go the natural route :)

Katze
July 5th, 2010, 01:33 AM
what a cool thing! I play with fake hair too but have not braided in wool - too afraid of it getting moldy (it is very humid and damp where we live). I do have both wool and fake hair dreads on an elastic or just as a loop which I then braid into my own hair for special occasions (see pics in album).

Yesterday I saw a woman with double high messy buns and dreads sprouting out of them. She was Asian but seemed to have a similar hairtype to mine (slightly wavy, very messy) and the dreads looked really good though I think they were fake. Gonna have to try that look when we get back from Viking reenactment, since such things are not authentic for the early middle ages. :D

You could easily make a dread out of fake hair too and braid it in. I do find my hair dreads inside the braids even when the fake hair itself is not dreaded...

Fethenwen
July 5th, 2010, 06:27 AM
The wool can dread with your own hair that you have it braided too, since it is a natural fiber. I wouldn't keep them in for long.

Synthetic hair shouldn't dread with your really hair as much, neither should the synthetic yarn, real yarn might bleed color on to your clothes and hair though.

Your dreads do look really good though! I made some black and green ones from synthetic hair but never made enough for my own head.
Thanks! Yeah, I will not keep them for long, I should take them out soon and henna my roots anyway so. But I will put them back then, it was much less time consuming then I thought.

ooh, I am growin out dreadies again too & I am so excited! I haven't brushed my hair in almost a month & i am slowly backcombing some to speed up the process. We can be dready buddies. :pAre you gonna do the extensions permenately or just till your hair naps up itself? They look very cool so far. :)
Lets be dread buddies :p But I'm not into the real deal yet though, there are things that come in the way. So I'm sporting fake ones for now. I would love to dread my hair for real some day. Please keep us updated on how things are going :)

I really like the look! :) Would have never thought of doing this :P
I just love henna-red hair + dreads. I'll have them one day! *shakes fist*
Thanks :) Just go for it, these things are not permanent. Just make sure they don't mess up the rest of your hair too much, if that is not what you are going for.

what a cool thing! I play with fake hair too but have not braided in wool - too afraid of it getting moldy (it is very humid and damp where we live). I do have both wool and fake hair dreads on an elastic or just as a loop which I then braid into my own hair for special occasions (see pics in album).

Yesterday I saw a woman with double high messy buns and dreads sprouting out of them. She was Asian but seemed to have a similar hairtype to mine (slightly wavy, very messy) and the dreads looked really good though I think they were fake. Gonna have to try that look when we get back from Viking reenactment, since such things are not authentic for the early middle ages. :D

You could easily make a dread out of fake hair too and braid it in. I do find my hair dreads inside the braids even when the fake hair itself is not dreaded...
Cool! Yeah, I was thinking of using fake hair too, but that was kinda expensive. I also sort of like the thought of having wool in my hair more than fake hair for some reason *shrug*

---
So I have had them for 24 hours so far, I washed and brushed my hair this morning and it went really well. All I had to do was to separate my dreads and pin them back with a hair clip, so I could brush and wash the rest of my hair without them getting in the way :)

ale
July 5th, 2010, 06:49 AM
I've made fake dreads with my shed hair in the past but never used them.
The wooly ones look good!

pennyroyal
July 5th, 2010, 11:38 AM
penny I think not brushing won't really do anything until like, bsl :P
But good luck on the long journey! I'm glad you decided to go the natural route :)
yea i kno! haha. But in a dreadie forum there is a guy with really short hair (way shorter than mine) who hasn't brushed in about 6 months from a shaved head & his hair is already dreading up! crazy, huh? i'm quite sure i won't be that lucky tho. :(
Thanks so much! I appreciate it very much. I gave in & backcombed a few lil tiny dreads to speed things up a bit tho. :o Couldn't help myself. hehe.

pennyroyal
July 5th, 2010, 11:40 AM
Thanks! Yeah, I will not keep them for long, I should take them out soon and henna my roots anyway so. But I will put them back then, it was much less time consuming then I thought.

Lets be dread buddies :p But I'm not into the real deal yet though, there are things that come in the way. So I'm sporting fake ones for now. I would love to dread my hair for real some day. Please keep us updated on how things are going :)

Thanks :) Just go for it, these things are not permanent. Just make sure they don't mess up the rest of your hair too much, if that is not what you are going for.

Cool! Yeah, I was thinking of using fake hair too, but that was kinda expensive. I also sort of like the thought of having wool in my hair more than fake hair for some reason *shrug*

---
So I have had them for 24 hours so far, I washed and brushed my hair this morning and it went really well. All I had to do was to separate my dreads and pin them back with a hair clip, so I could brush and wash the rest of my hair without them getting in the way :)
Yay I have a dread buddy! :p
I will post pics in my album as they come along.
I understand why you are not gettin real dreads yet & this will be a great introduction for you to see if you really want them. I'm glad they are workin out for you! :)

Kome
July 5th, 2010, 11:45 AM
This is a really neat idea. I like it a lot!

MuzicalH3rb
July 5th, 2010, 08:46 PM
Oh wow, that's too cool!!!!

Fethenwen
July 8th, 2010, 10:20 AM
Well, I just thought I'd report that I think I might have damaged my hair a bit. Even though I was careful not too. I think these things can't be worn more than two days at a time without damage.
Dreads are like meant to make your hair fuzzy, so sporting fake ones isn't really it. Meeh, maybe I will get real ones some day.
But I do wonder if my hair has gotten a bit sun damaged too, I haven't really protected it in any way.

Well for all of those who are interested in these things, please be aware that hair around these fake ones might get really tangled up.

Paniscus
July 8th, 2010, 10:27 AM
I've never thought of using fake hair other than for Halloween.. but this is COOL! It looks really good. Would be neat to maybe just do a few, add that bit of funk to a style. Thanks for sharing this~

Loreley
July 8th, 2010, 11:45 AM
This is soooo cool! I want one! :cool:

TrudieCat
July 8th, 2010, 01:57 PM
Oh wow, those look really cool! I hope your hair didn't get too damaged. I really like that idea. :)