PDA

View Full Version : Trim today..not too happy about results (pic)

david
July 3rd, 2010, 12:25 PM
Hi all.
I just had my hair trimmed and im not too happy. I usually have my hair trimmed every 5 months and my hair was starting to look very ragged at the ends, so I thought it was time for a clean up of the ends. I usually go to the same stylist however they were on holiday so I had to try someone new.

The trim seemed to be going well, the stylist pointed out what she was going to cut and the instructions were to even the ends up. However in hindsight I should have said in a blunt cut. So the cutting was going well and looked to be a blunt cut. Then my hair was dried and straightened and they stylist then re-checked the hemline and got me to stand up and got me to say if I liked it in the mirror. However before I could say anything she began to cut in to the blunt cut saying "im just going to take a slight amount of bluntness out". This then resulted in some cutting and I didnt get to check the results. It was only when I got home that I realised I had been left with U/almost V hemline and had lost quite a bit of length. I then tried to plait/braid my hair and due to the hemline I have layers towards the end of the plait. So overall im not that happy at the minute and my hair feels allot shorter.

Here is the result of the trim...you can see recent pics in my gallery of where I was before the trim.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=1274&pictureid=75856

So what do you think.... am I just over-reacting.

kristymarie87
July 3rd, 2010, 12:29 PM
I think it looks fine, but its not what you wanted so i can see why youre unhappy. It looks healthy though and im sure it will grow out in no time!

loralie
July 3rd, 2010, 12:29 PM
I don't think it looks bad at all! She only ever-so-slightly layered it. If you wait a month or two you'll be able to blunt cut them all. The shortest ones seem to be only an inch or so above the longer layers... don't be bummed! I think it looks nice, and natural. :)

skay
July 3rd, 2010, 01:03 PM
On the plus side, your hair looks very nice and healthy.

On the other hand, the stylist did not do what you wanted ... she put in her own style (a less blunt hemline) so I can see why you aren't too happy.

Yeah, sometimes things/people take us by surprise before we can say anything...maybe next time ..

triumphator!
July 3rd, 2010, 01:09 PM
I'm going to be honest and say that is pretty far from a blunt hemline, and it looks like you're going to have to grow the top of the U out for a couple months and then cut it to get a good blunt hemline again.

On the other hand, I think shapes like this are prettier than blunt ends, they look more natural and give the hair a little movement. I also think the kind of hair you have is really suited by a U shaped hemline, it looks really good to me.

I'm really sorry that the stylist didn't do what you wanted. Stories like this seem pretty common around here, and it sure makes me sad. : (

Kristin
July 3rd, 2010, 01:39 PM
Sorry that it isn't what you wanted, but I think it looks good! It won't take that long for the hemline to grow out, and in the meantime you may decide hat you like it.:)

Carolyn
July 3rd, 2010, 06:25 PM
No you are not over reacting. That is way far from a blunt hemline. You did not get what you asked for. I would be pissed if that happened to me. It would take me at least a year to recover my former length. So yeah :hatchet:

30isthenewblack
July 3rd, 2010, 06:33 PM
No, you are not overreacting. You wanted a blunt hemline and she basically did what she thought was best and ignored what you wanted. I would suggest going to another hairdresser. I always had the opposite problem where I would say that I'm growing out my layers and I wear my hair naturally curly and there were at least two occasions where I lost my length because hairdressers took it upon themselves to cut my hair into a blunt hemline. I think the lesson is to say the word 'blunt cut' and make sure they know what this is and for me to say I want a 'U shape' and get them to explain it to me. I trim my own hair now anyway but I know for a lot of people who want blunt hemlines, this is not always the best option. Your hair is lovely regardless :flowers:

Jessica Trapp
July 3rd, 2010, 06:46 PM
Definitely not overreacting! That is *not* a blunt cut. On the positive side though... your hair looks very shiny and healthy.

Sorry you didn't get what you asked for though. :grouphug:

jes

jasper
July 3rd, 2010, 07:06 PM
You don't sound like you're overreacting. You stated everything very mildly. If you wrote that you were mad as opposed to not too happy, that still wouldn't, in my opinion, be overreacting. Your hair looks nice- you have great hair! But it makes me mad that the stylist just started making decisions for you. Maybe I'm overreacting. :shrug:

Hotrox
July 3rd, 2010, 07:20 PM
Hi David

I know its not what you asked for, but I think it looks really good :D

Beautiful colour BTW

spidermom
July 3rd, 2010, 07:32 PM
It looks splendid! I understand being upset that you didn't get what you asked for, however. I hope that you come to enjoy the new look.

Elenna
July 3rd, 2010, 07:36 PM
You didn't get a blunt cut as you requested, but your hair is still long and looks to be in great condition. Some people (at longer lengths) here do trim their own hair.

myrrhmaiden
July 3rd, 2010, 07:39 PM
I think it looks awesome, but then I like a v-hem. If you wanted blunt I can understand your dismay.

emmebean
July 3rd, 2010, 07:44 PM
Your hair is incredibly beautiful. Since it is not what you prefer, please let the supervisor know so they can have a discussion with the stylist. I understand about the braiding and the layers. I'm sorry

julliams
July 3rd, 2010, 07:51 PM
My stylist did this too - right at the end "now I'm going to chip into it to take the bluntness out of it" to which I said "I like a blunt hemline" She laughed and continued to do it and I was too stupid to say, no thanks. It's annoying isn't it. On the plus side, your hair does look nice but I'm hearing you about it not being what you wanted.

embee
July 3rd, 2010, 08:03 PM
I'd be very annoyed. It's not what you asked for, not what you paid for, even if it does look ok.

Understand about the braid tassel, too. Tiresome.

Don't think they'd get my business again. Probably be a good idea to let them know you're not pleased and won't be back. Maybe they'll learn to listen to the person paying the bill?

Dragon
July 3rd, 2010, 08:35 PM
No you are not over reacting. That is not what you wanted. I'd be anoyed to. It does look very nice.

McFearless
July 4th, 2010, 12:13 AM
Aw im sorry. I think it looks fantastic. By the end of the summer you should be able to get it fixed without losing much length at all.

Cheer up:)

ibleedlipstick
July 4th, 2010, 01:30 AM
Your hair is absolutely beautiful- Healthy and glossy!

But no, that is not by any great stretch of the imagination a blunt cut.

I would be very, very livid.

Tangerine
July 4th, 2010, 01:47 AM
I agree with everyone else who's said you are not overreacting. What you've ended up with is definitely not a blunt cut. So I understand you must be disappointed.
It does look beautiful though .... but then I am biased towards V/U hems.

Your hair is stunning. Very healthy and shiny! Great colour too.

Idun
July 4th, 2010, 03:44 AM
I agree too with everyone else who's said you are not overreacting, but that your hair still looks very beautiful!

I would like to add though, that you should not have to pay for the cut. Most of us (including myself) are far too forgiving - or chicken - in these cases. You should go back to the salon and get your money back! It is not right.

Calista
July 4th, 2010, 05:02 AM
The cut looks fine, but it is not what you wanted. You´re definitely not overreacting.

I´m not a fan of V hemlines, but I still think it looks nice. Have you tried self-trimming? Or getting a friend to trim your hair? Or you might try a traditional men´s hairdresser/barber. IME they do exactly what you tell them to do, without attempting to do anything fancy.

david
July 4th, 2010, 06:39 AM
Hi, thanks for all the kind replies and compliments, they have cheered me up. I agree it does look nice that shape etc but I went in with my hair around waist length (as you can see in my gallery) and due to the layering she put in at the last minute after showing me the results of the trim my hair feels so short at the minute. The picture shows the length and shape when my hair is straight, however I'm not really looking forward to what length and shape my hair jumps to after my first wash and I leave my hair in its natural wavy state.

My stylist did this too - right at the end "now I'm going to chip into it to take the bluntness out of it" to which I said "I like a blunt hemline" She laughed and continued to do it and I was too stupid to say, no thanks. It's annoying isn't it. On the plus side, your hair does look nice but I'm hearing you about it not being what you wanted.

Really, what is it with this. I was already shown the results and I was happy then all of a sudden she says that and cuts away leaving me with a V shape/layers. I couldn't even jump in to say I liked a blunt cut she just went ahead. As I said I was not shown the results of this before I left and I had to wait until I got home to check the final results.

So i guess the morale of this story is keep a close eye on the stylist if you get your hair trimmed because even if your happy they will do what suits them.

30isthenewblack
July 4th, 2010, 06:44 AM
I agree. Maybe you can bring a friend with you next time to keep a watchful eye? If we only we had eyes in the back of our heads ... sigh :) I'm glad you're feeling a bit more cheery about it all. Just think, it could be worse!

Angelica
July 4th, 2010, 06:58 AM
When I read your post I thought she had cut a lot off. I think it is absurd she didn't do what you asked for, that is why I no longer go to hairdressers. You wanted a blunt cut but she did her own thing. That is wrong. So sorry that this happened to you. On the positive side though, your hair is gorgeous.

Fiferstone
July 4th, 2010, 07:05 AM
Learn Feye's self-trim, seriously. That way YOU control how much length gets taken off. I will never go back to a hairdresser's again. My hair grows more slowly than average (about .25 inches a month), so I would be very, very angry at this if it happened to me. I would let them know that you are unhappy about what was done and if I were you I would definitely not be back (hence my first suggestion ;)).

I find I can cope with "hair disasters" more easily if I'm the one who caused the disaster, and if you go slow and follow the instructions for the type of hemline you want, you won't end up with a disaster. I'm sorry about the fact that the stylist decided to impose their aesthetic sensibilities on your hair, but your hair is lovely, shiny and healthy. I hope you'll be back to your "before trim" length soon.

FrannyG
July 4th, 2010, 07:30 AM
While I really like the way your hair looks, it's awesome, it's definitely not the trim you asked for. You're not over-reacting. I would be upset too, if I wanted a straight-across blunt cut and got a v-shape instead.

I really advise what some other have, and suggest that you learn Feye's self-trimming method. It's so easy, you're in total control, and even a klutz like me can do it.

Especially at your length the self-trim is extremely easy. I know you likely don't plan on trimming any time soon, but I do suggest that in future you cut your own hair. That way, you'll get exactly what you want.

In the meantime, while it's not what you wanted, I will reiterate that your hair really does look amazing. :)

KarpatiiSiv
July 4th, 2010, 07:41 AM
You are certainly not overreacting. I can understand why you are disappointed as you hemline is now more a V/U shape which is not what you asked for. You hair does look great though, lovely colour and shine. :)

I agree with others that you really should consider learning to trim your own hair using Feye's method. You'd then be in control and it is easy to follow the instructions.

tofuowl
July 4th, 2010, 04:59 PM
You are certainly not overreacting. I can understand why you are disappointed as you hemline is now more a V/U shape which is not what you asked for. You hair does look great though, lovely colour and shine. :)

I agree with others that you really should consider learning to trim your own hair using Feye's method. You'd then be in control and it is easy to follow the instructions.

I completely agree. I actually find my hair comes out more even with Feye's than it ever did from the "professionals." Crazy, right? So it's win-win, at least for me. I get to see exactly how much is coming off, and it's a better trim.

New Choppy Cut
July 4th, 2010, 07:26 PM
It's probably about my length - I'm a person who has long hair for ease rather than pleasure in long-long hair, and so I only know my length when I'm shown the back view after a haircut. However I am thinking of developing a two mirror arrangement because I want to smarten up in middle age. I've had about 7 inches cut off over the past few months, did think of going a lot shorter, but I've finally learnt some new styles. In fact I'm now wondering about wigs to ring the changes. Your hair looks fine - better than my last back view at the hairdresser's.

pepperminttea
July 5th, 2010, 10:26 AM
I think if this happened to me I'd seriously consider not paying, or paying a significantly smaller amount. But if it's any consolation, it does look really healthy - gorgeous shine. :flower:

Another reason for learning Feye's self-trim though, especially since the blunt hemline is the easiest one to do (it's the one I use).

gmdiaz
July 5th, 2010, 10:43 AM
You know the longer your hair gets, the easier it is to trim it yourself. . .that's the only way I can be sure how much gets "trimmed' and what shape I end up with.

Your hair looks great though the shape is not what you asked for! The final look is really attractive. It's just not a blunt cut. She didn't ruin your hair, she just didn't listen, which is seriously annoying in my opinion!

You'll be back where you want to be in no time. . .but in the meantime, try to enjoy the new style!

MuzicalH3rb
July 5th, 2010, 08:47 PM
I, personally, really like it.