PDA

View Full Version : Floundering Flyaways! Or possibly Split Ends... (pic heavy)

BritishBraider
July 3rd, 2010, 06:32 AM
So I washed my hair, let it air dry until it was just slightly damp and put it into dutch herringbones and pinned to the back of my head as such:
http://pics.livejournal.com/britishbraider/pic/0006eysr

And three hours later I took it out and my flyaways/split ends had gone nuts:
http://pics.livejournal.com/britishbraider/pic/0006fa8c

Is this normal?

I chemically dye my hair (aprox every 4 months if I remember), wash about once a week with cones (shampoo and conditioner, herbal essences) wide tooth combs and wear it up almost all the time, are these actually split ends :confused:? And is yay, what shall I do?!?

julliams
July 3rd, 2010, 06:46 AM
That looks pretty normal to me. You have lovely hair. If the ends are split you will see like a little forked tongue at the end, or else a hair with a little bit of hair flicking up off it. I think what you have is just hair in all their different stages of growing. As one hair is shed, another starts growing in it's place so even "one length" hair is actually many different lengths. Hope this makes sense.

virgo75
July 3rd, 2010, 06:58 AM
I'm no help, but your hair is absolutely beautiful! :)

Heavenly Locks
July 3rd, 2010, 07:00 AM
That blue ribbon is stunning :crush:

I think you are seeing normal hair. :) No matter what, most of us have uneven hair tips that like to poke out of braids or other updos. Perfectly flyaway free hair is for dolls, not real people. :)

Loreley
July 3rd, 2010, 07:07 AM
I think it's normal. My braid looks the same and I know they are not splits, they are only shorter hairs. :)

moominhapa
July 3rd, 2010, 07:20 AM
Doesn't look bad to me. If you're worried about lots of split ends, maybe you can do an S&D session to cut some of them out. And to keep the braids neat, maybe some kind of oil, aloe, or product would help.

But I don't think you necessarily need to worry. Your hair looks great! I love how striking the blue ribbon is. Gorgeous!

MicheleClaire
July 3rd, 2010, 08:00 AM
Oh, that up do is to die for! Your hair is gorgeous and I love the color of the ribbon against your hair and skin! Your hair looks normal to me as well; my ends stick out when I braid, too.

countryhopper
July 3rd, 2010, 08:05 AM
I love the bun!!

My hair is more flyaway when recently washed. I solve this by not washing my hair so frequently so the flyaways are grounded! lol!

Capybara
July 3rd, 2010, 08:52 AM
Herringbone braids tend to look like that at the end of the day, no matter how undamaged - or not :o - your hair may be. I wouldn't worry.

Lovely style, by the way! :flower:

Yozhik
July 3rd, 2010, 09:19 AM
Your hair looks wonderful! I would say that unless you're actually searching through your hair and finding splits, that most likely it's just your hair trying to escape the restraints you put in in :)
I would also suggest either braiding when your hair is more "dirty" (i.e. not the first or second day after wash day), because then my hair's natural oils help weigh down the flyaways. Either that, or rub a tiny amount of oil over your palms and smooth them over your braids :)

Hope that helps, and you have gorgeous hair!

KittyLost
July 3rd, 2010, 09:27 AM
I'm no help but I must say you shocked me when you said you dye your hair! I thought that was natural!

Your hair is lovely :)

serious
July 3rd, 2010, 09:29 AM
I am of no help here, just wanted to say that your hair is beautiful, and the photos of your hairstyles are amazingly beautiful!

ericthegreat
July 3rd, 2010, 09:31 AM
Your fishtail braids came out beautifully! And I absolutely LOVE the brilliant shade of red you had done to your hair, the color is positively STUNNING. Red definitely suits you. :flower:

spidermom
July 3rd, 2010, 09:50 AM
It's normal. My braids look like that, too, unless I use a lot of styling product. As someone already said, every single day you shed out old hairs and grow in new ones, so you're always going to have newer, shorter hairs. Everybody does. Plus you probably have some breakage and splits. Again, everybody does.