PDA

View Full Version : Free Haircut, should I or shouldn't I?

HintOfMint
July 3rd, 2010, 01:18 AM
A nearby salon is offering free haircuts to all employees at my workplace. I wasn't planning on getting my hair trimmed until August, but that means sinking $75 on my usual guy(he just got a new assistant so he's even more expensive). This is kind of a temporary offer, and the only time I can go is tomorrow or err... today, since I'm typing this after midnight. I'm feeling really nervous about making such a hasty decision.
On one hand, I was planning on a trim anyway, it just happens to be a bit sooner. It is also FREAKING FREE. Money is tight right now and every dollar counts
On the other hand, I'm not sure if they do a great job. It is an expensive salon, but I don't see a lot of reviews of the place (Yelp is down, which is why), and the ones I do see are inconsistent. They are pretty hit and miss, although those have more to do with the color rather than cut.
I'm pretty set on going, so how do I make sure he/she doesn't butcher my hair? I'm not sure exactly what I want.
One option is to bite the bullet and thicken up my hemline, which means, goodbye one full inch. Another option is to get a nice half inch overall trim, and dusting of layers.
Which option do hairstylists have an easier time following? I'm guessing that the concept of "dusting" is lost on many hairdressers, so maybe the former would be better, but I'm worried that he may take off WAY more than I want. I give an inch, he takes a mile sort of thing.

Help please? Or just some comfort?

jera
July 3rd, 2010, 01:21 AM
I wouldn't trust an establishment you're not sure of, free haircuts or not. :)

Gothic Lolita
July 3rd, 2010, 01:22 AM
I'd take the offer, since you seem to know the guy who would be cutting your hair! You save a lot of money and to me it really wouldn't matter if I cut my hair this month or 4 weeks later. I too believe that "dusting" is a lost concept in most salons, but you could ask for it. If he does it, great, if not, I'd go for the 1 inch trim.

Hotrox
July 3rd, 2010, 01:26 AM
Yes - but its free!!

I would suggest going and just asking for .5inch straight across the hemline - they shouldn't be able to mess that up! Get him to make the first snip, and show you how much he has taken off!

It might not be the perfect haircut but it'll let you wait a little longer until you need to go for a 'paid' haircut and save you some money in the process too

+ you never know, you may really like the place and discover a great new hair dresser :eek:

Kathie
July 3rd, 2010, 01:28 AM
Id go for it too. Just tell them that you're growing your hair and don’t want much taken off- and then go into the details of exactly what you want, discuss options then settle on something you're completely happy with.
A free hair cut! Thats pretty cool :D

countryhopper
July 3rd, 2010, 01:32 AM
I think it depends on how unhappy you'd be if you lost more length than you'd want.

I'm all for cheap things and free stuff :D, but I can also trim my hair for free using Feye's Self Trim Method. So, since growing my hair out is important to me, I think I'd rather trim it myself than risk having the hairdresser take too much off (horror stories abound on this board!).

That's just me, though! If you don't like/want to trim your own hair and you were going to pay someone to do it anyway, maybe it would be worth concidering.

Dragon
July 3rd, 2010, 01:33 AM
I'd go if I new the person who was cutting my hair and trusted them. Other wise, no way.

Cholera
July 3rd, 2010, 01:43 AM
If I went I think I'd tell the person to cut off half of what I actually wanted. That way, you'll probably get what you had in mind.

HintOfMint
July 3rd, 2010, 01:45 AM
I'd take the offer, since you seem to know the guy who would be cutting your hair! You save a lot of money and to me it really wouldn't matter if I cut my hair this month or 4 weeks later. I too believe that "dusting" is a lost concept in most salons, but you could ask for it. If he does it, great, if not, I'd go for the 1 inch trim.

Unfortunately, I do not know the person who will be cutting my hair. And yelp is down, so I can't even search for a person who might be a good fit. I'm hoping that I'm asking for a simple enough cut that it will still be worth it.

I think it depends on how unhappy you'd be if you lost more length than you'd want.

I'm all for cheap things and free stuff :D, but I can also trim my hair for free using Feye's Self Trim Method. So, since growing my hair out is important to me, I think I'd rather trim it myself than risk having the hairdresser take too much off (horror stories abound on this board!).

That's just me, though! If you don't like/want to trim your own hair and you were going to pay someone to do it anyway, maybe it would be worth concidering.

I refuse to trim my own hair. I just know that I would screw it up, the klutz that I am. I don't know how I would feel if I lost more length that I would like. I'm trying not to think about it too much. In any case, I am growing out my layers, so even if I lose more length, at least it will be more evened up (unless he cuts in more layers! EEP!). I know if I pass up a free cut, I'll be kicking myself for a while.

julliams
July 3rd, 2010, 02:14 AM
Only do it if you were planning on doing it anyway. My friends gave me a gift voucher to a hair salon for my birthday but it runs out in October and I wasn't planning on cutting my hair until I reach waist which is going to be January next year. I'm guessing I'll end up spending it on product or maybe a treatment.

HintOfMint
July 3rd, 2010, 02:18 AM
Thanks for all your input!
I'm pretty sure I'm going to do it. I just don't know exactly what to ask for.
Should I go for the half inch trim with dusting on the layers, or a bigger trim to thicken up the hemline?

Sunny_side_up
July 3rd, 2010, 02:53 AM
If you are keeping your layers then i say go for the dusting of them :) But id be hesitant about it as they may get carried away making the layering too short.
Me- would go for a larger snip off the end to even out my hemline, and leave those shorter layers alone.i've had enough of layering at the mo and want a neater hem.. i've got a while to go still before my shortest layers get any where near my shoulders! I did my first self trim a few weeks ago, went well! Otherwise its my dear mum who does my trims :D
Hope all goes well whatever you decide :)

naereid
July 3rd, 2010, 02:58 AM
Since hairdressers often take off a little bit more than what you asked, I'd ask for a half-inch trim just to be sure. But it's your decision ultimately.

Carolyn
July 3rd, 2010, 07:24 AM
I certainly understand wanting to save $75 and I don't think a month one way or the other is going to make a difference in the long run. But is free worth it if he totally screws up your hair and it takes months and months to grow back? When I go to a new stylist for a trim I always ask for half of what I want off. If I get what I ask for then I know she is a stylist who will listen and I can trust. I get the impression that this is an expensive, trendy salon. I've found that stylists who work in those types of places want to get creative and "do" things with your hair. Be clear and firm about what you want done and make him show you how much he is going to cut off.

Kome
July 3rd, 2010, 07:35 AM
I have to agree with the above person. Last time I went to get a hair cut I asked for LAYERS ONLY. I told her not to trim the bottom AT ALL because I'd literally JUST trimmed it a few days prior. Well... she cut off 6 INCHES off the bottom of the hair. 6 inches when I asked for nothing. Telling them to cut off half of what you really want doesn't work. She seemed so nice too, but apparently not!

Good luck on what you decide to do, but keep in mind that many people have had hair disasters here with salons and not listening to what they want. This lady lied straight to my face and still cut off what she wanted. If you decide to do it remember that you can't really complain if they mess it up! Haha. Sorry, I hope it goes well and you get a great trimmer though. :)

MicheleClaire
July 3rd, 2010, 07:58 AM
I wasn't planning on getting my hair trimmed until August, but that means sinking $75 on my usual guy

Wait, $75 on a trim?!

That's insane! How about you get a free trim and if it looks awful, THEN you can pay him $75 to fix it! xD

kwaniesiam
July 3rd, 2010, 08:25 AM
Go for it, just make sure you thoroughly communicate what you want.

$75 for a trim at an upscale salon isn't that bad. People seem to think that a "just a trim" implies less work than a full haircut. A trim is still a full haircut, you're just taking off less than you normally would. It still requires the same amount of time and work that any other cut would.

ericthegreat
July 3rd, 2010, 08:30 AM
I would definitely get the free haircut if I were you. It sounds like a great offer for you and your fellow co-workers, I sure wouldn't miss out on it.

The thing about bad haircuts is often miscommunication between the client and the stylist. Speaking as a hairstylist myself, stylists are trained to not only cut hair but to also visibly show that they have indeed cut your hair. I remember even back in cosmetology school, when we were only asked to "trim" our mannequins they still wanted to be able to easily SEE a SIZEABLE amount of hair on the floor. That always meant that we all had to trim off at least a full inch of hair or more. So you see, hairstylists are naturally trained to cut off a decent portion of a head of hair to prove that they are in fact cutting the hair and also its for the whole "transform your look" effect. We stylists are taught to give makeovers to every one of our clients, we want them to feel different and more confident after they leave our chair.

So if you do decide to go in for the free trim which I would definitely advise that you do (It free! :cheese:), definitely explain to your stylist whoever he or she may be that you intend on keeping your hair long and you want to pretty much keep the same haircut that you have now. Emphatically express to them that you intend on growing out your hair. And when he or she makes that first cut, tell him or her to show you how much he or she has taken off. That way, there's no further mistakes.

Rapunzal2Be
July 3rd, 2010, 08:38 AM
Honestly, usually when you are submitting to a free haircut, you are also giving them creative license with what type of cut to do. Keep that in mind.

Also, I see so many people come away from a cut *that they paid for* unhappy because it wasn't what they wanted and they lost a lot of length or gained layers they really weren't wanting. So I can imagine that the risk of this happening only increases when you aren't even paying for it.

Those are my worries in getting a free cut. I'd say that unless you are willing to come away with something unexpected or are SURE you can express to them exactly what you want and that they will listen, I would pass up on the offer.

Roseate
July 3rd, 2010, 09:42 AM
I'm pretty sure I'm going to do it. I just don't know exactly what to ask for.

My only warning is to make sure you have made your choice BEFORE you sit down in the chair. That way you can communicate clearly.

Otherwise, in the discussion things could get muddled and you could end up with 1" off all the layers, or something else entirely. My hairdresser disasters have always resulted from not being 100% clear up front with what I wanted.

Enjoy your fresh ends!

heartgoesboom
July 3rd, 2010, 09:45 AM
No! Do NOT do it! I wouldn't trust a stylist I haven't been to before without any recommendations. My friend received a free haircut from some upscale salon and the stylist was rude and butchered her hair!!!

spidermom
July 3rd, 2010, 09:56 AM
I wouldn't do it. You know the saying "you get what you pay for"?

But $75 for a trim at your usual place? Yikes! I thought I was paying a lot - about $30.

brista
July 3rd, 2010, 09:58 AM
Tell them you want 1/2 inch cut so they'll take 1 inch. :)

Isilme
July 3rd, 2010, 10:13 AM
From what I have understood the haircut is free because her job is paying for it for their employees, right? Then it is already paid and they have likely got a good deal with your employer.
I'd say go for it! Just be firm.
I know many people don't share my opinion but when you are for example at tailbone like I am now, one or three inches doesn't matter very much, in the long run.

HintOfMint
July 3rd, 2010, 12:16 PM
Thank you all! I really appreciate the advice. I will give you an update on how it goes.

As for those who are a bit shocked at the price for my usual haircut, I realize it is very expensive,:o however I have my reasons for going to this particular person at this particular salon. Perhaps that is a discussion for another thread. :flower:

Back to the free haircut, I plan to tell them take a half inch off of the overall length (I'm in "can I call this waist?" territory, every blasted inch counts), and a DUSTING of the layers. I will explain what dusting is to me. I will tell them about my wonky underlayer that is always shorter than my length. I will tell them not to even up my hair to that length. I will tell them no razors or thinning of any sort.
I will be very clear and hopefully that will be enough.
Wish me luck!

Addy
July 3rd, 2010, 12:22 PM
I wouldn't let them touch your layers. Just take a 1/2" off the bottom and that's it.

That's just me. Good Luck.

DakarNick
July 5th, 2010, 04:21 PM
So, did you do it or not?

HintOfMint
July 5th, 2010, 05:27 PM
Alas, I fell sick over the weekend, so I didn't get it cut just yet. Fortunately, I rearranged some plans so that I could get it cut later this week. I will keep you posted when I do. Cheers!

HintOfMint
July 8th, 2010, 04:20 PM
I'm off to my haircut! I just took my "before" picture and it was all that I needed to feel good about this cut. Yes, I'll loose length, but the piece-y ends need to go!

Wish me luck!

embee
July 8th, 2010, 04:51 PM
I hope you get something you're happy with.

I would be frightened of letting anyone near layers, because I hate layers. Growing out bangs (just one big layer in one place!) was horrible and took forever and was a huge pain. Just a trim or dusting of the hemline would suit me ok, I think, maybe. But I'm already at terminal and every 1/2 inch counts for me. Only my very longest few hairs get to classic, and they would be trimmed away for sure. It hurts to think of that! ;)

StarryNight
July 8th, 2010, 04:56 PM
Good Luck! I hope it turns out how you want it! ^.^

HintOfMint
July 8th, 2010, 07:40 PM
I'm back and it turned out awesome!

She listened to everything! When I asked for a certain amount off, she took my hair and showed me with her fingers where she would cut and if that length was what I meant. She looked at the ends of my layers and said that the ends looked really healthy, so she wasn't going to touch them. She wasn't an automaton though, she did inject her opinion on my bangs (which was spot on and they look better than ever), but she was very respectful of not taking off more than was necessary. She was very careful and gentle with combing my hair and blowdrying.

She was also curious about LHC, and my use of olive oil and coconut oil. She didn't push any products on me either.

My hair is now a smooth shallow U shape, and I can't stop petting it!

All in all, it was a positive experience.

Pictures later!

Carolyn
July 8th, 2010, 07:46 PM
Yay! I'm so glad it turned out well for you. Petable hair is definitely a good thing!

embee
July 8th, 2010, 07:51 PM
Wow, that sounds great! Now you have a second good hairdresser to add to the list - which I thought was somewhere on this board... hairdressers that people had good experiences with.

Anje
July 8th, 2010, 09:50 PM
Realize that there's a powerful psychological urge to make use of any great perceived bargain, and think about whether you want a haircut before you consider the price. Moreover, do you want a hairdresser who might hurry to finish your hair so he/she can go work on a paying customer? (If you do go, and get a decent cut, make sure you tip well, though... Free haircut doesn't mean no tipping.)

Personally, I'd skip it. But I don't need a trim, and I know how to snip the ends off my own hair for only the cost of the hair scissors I already have, and I'm not interested in risking a stylist doing something I don't want in light of my ability to trim my own ends. You may feel differently, and you might get a great cut and find a new hairdresser for life from this, or you may not.

ETA: Looks like I didnt' read the whole thread... Glad you got a great trim!

HintOfMint
July 8th, 2010, 10:59 PM
Realize that there's a powerful psychological urge to make use of any great perceived bargain, and think about whether you want a haircut before you consider the price. Moreover, do you want a hairdresser who might hurry to finish your hair so he/she can go work on a paying customer? (If you do go, and get a decent cut, make sure you tip well, though... Free haircut doesn't mean no tipping.)

Personally, I'd skip it. But I don't need a trim, and I know how to snip the ends off my own hair for only the cost of the hair scissors I already have, and I'm not interested in risking a stylist doing something I don't want in light of my ability to trim my own ends. You may feel differently, and you might get a great cut and find a new hairdresser for life from this, or you may not.

ETA: Looks like I didnt' read the whole thread... Glad you got a great trim!

Haha, no worries and thanks! I was planning on getting a haircut in August, so I figured I would just move up the date.

And yes, I tipped. And I gave her the tip that I would normally give for her price of a haircut (which I asked).

countryhopper
July 10th, 2010, 07:57 AM
I'm so glad that it turned out so well! Will you continue going to her?

lora410
July 10th, 2010, 08:08 AM
I'm back and it turned out awesome!

She listened to everything! When I asked for a certain amount off, she took my hair and showed me with her fingers where she would cut and if that length was what I meant. She looked at the ends of my layers and said that the ends looked really healthy, so she wasn't going to touch them. She wasn't an automaton though, she did inject her opinion on my bangs (which was spot on and they look better than ever), but she was very respectful of not taking off more than was necessary. She was very careful and gentle with combing my hair and blowdrying.

She was also curious about LHC, and my use of olive oil and coconut oil. She didn't push any products on me either.

My hair is now a smooth shallow U shape, and I can't stop petting it!

All in all, it was a positive experience.

Pictures later!

Yaaaay. Now you have a new stylist if you choose!!! Hopefully she is cheaper though ;)