PDA

View Full Version : oiling. who knew?

ArienEllariel
July 2nd, 2010, 09:52 PM
I finally found a routine that seems to work for me. :) During the winter months I CO most of the time but now that it's summer I've found I need to use shampoo more often than not. The best part though is that I found that if I lightly oil both my scalp and my hair with Coconut Oil before bed and wash my hair in the morning, my hair is so happy and silky and looks its best (even the fly aways stay put better). :D I used to oil after I wash but for some reason this seems to work better (at least for now). I might need to use an ACV rinse more often than I did as well but my hair really seems to like this. It's like my hair soaks up some of the oil in the night and whatever doesn't get soaked up gets washed out. My scalp isn't itching at all in the spots that were getting slightly dry before and I can't seem to stop touching my hair, it's so soft. Does oiling overnight have this effect on your hair?

Dragon
July 2nd, 2010, 11:11 PM
It does with me. It has defently stopped my scalp being so dry. And my hair is a lot softer and more managable.

Laurenji
July 3rd, 2010, 12:11 AM
Maybe I'll try this. I've been CO washing all winter, which seemed to be fine then, but now that it's summer it's making my scalp all gunky. (yet dry at the same time. How does that work?) I also just bought some coconut oil today which I've been wanting to try out. This sounds like a good experiment to potentially make both my hair and my scalp happy.

Loreley
July 3rd, 2010, 01:14 AM
I oil my hair before and after washing. I put a bigger amount of oil on it, brush it and I wash it the next day. After washing, I oil it slightly when it's wet. It works really well. My scalp is a bit oily anyway so I don't need to put more oil on it. :)

GettingThere
July 3rd, 2010, 02:08 PM
Yes, absolutely! I have had mixed results with oiling after washing while still damp depending on the oil I use and how heavy handed I am that day. BUT recently I've started oiling at night (pretty heavily) and then washing in the AM with the same results you've seen...soft and silky hair:) I've used different oils and had the same results so I think I'm going to stick to this method!

strwbrry dakri
July 3rd, 2010, 03:45 PM
This sounds very interesting! I have a dry, itchy scalp, and am willing to try almost anything to help that.

Naamah
July 3rd, 2010, 06:10 PM
I did CO for 8 months, but once it started getting hot out it didn't seem to work as good anymore. My hair felt limp and still too oily. I switch between sulfate free shampoo, sulfate shampoo, and occasional CO when I don't feel like using shampoo. I'll have to try oiling my scalp before my next wash.

Kome
July 3rd, 2010, 06:16 PM
My new conditioner that I have been using has a lot of oils in it. I don't usually go for it, but I actually bought it for rinsing out my henna and ended up using it as my main conditioner. I've noticed a huge difference in my hair. I've have to try oiling overnight. I still really want some lavender oil too!

McFearless
July 4th, 2010, 12:28 AM
My hair loves oil. I usually apply a teeny tiny amount and add more everyday until my wash and it just gets soaked up.

dayonea
July 4th, 2010, 04:07 AM
I use castor oil once a week. I oil heavly and stick a plastic bag on my head (not over it) and sleep with it thewash it out in the morning. Castor oil is very thick but works so well for me. I have been getting heaps of hair compliments since I started it so I will keep going till it stops working for me:) My bed linen is not so happy with it ;)