View Full Version : silicone - help!

dropinthebucket
July 2nd, 2010, 09:31 AM
ok, so now i've gone and done it - after months sulphate and silicone free, i've gone and used a product with heavy silicone before checking the label. my hair is soft, silky, shiny, and has some "heft" when i swing it :), even if it is pretty flat at the roots! i actually forgot what my hair looked like on silicone, it's been so long! on silicone, my 1c/2a F hair looks like 1a hair, silky, straight, cowlicks smoothed out, no frizz - beautiful. without silicone, though, i can encourage my waves into genuine 2a territory and i have a lot more volume. they're both nice, 2 different "hair looks" - BUT, if i wanna do silicone once in a while (yeah, ok, maybe it's my hair drugs! :) i was gonna say hair crack, but that just sounded weird ;)) - how will i get it out without SLS? i love my shampoo bars. will vinegar do it? whad'ya think?

HairColoredHair
July 2nd, 2010, 09:48 AM
Vinegar doesn't clarify and likely won't remove a silicone. Baking soda might. The shampoo bars might get it off, may just take a while.

Kristin
July 2nd, 2010, 09:52 AM
You don't necessarily need SLS to remove silicones. There is an article that tells which 'cones are water-soluble and which are not in the articles section.

I still feel the need for 'cones sometimes, too, so I use them very sparingly (like once a week in a conditioner OR spray) and clarify with SLS only once every two weeks. I could probably clarify less than that (I only use once product that has non-water-soluble 'cones), but I CO every day and it tends to make my hair a little waxy after two weeks, anyway.

teela1978
July 2nd, 2010, 10:00 AM
I find that cones wear off without SLS, especially if you're not using the cones daily. When I was COing it'd a few washes, but eventually I'd loose that coney gloss. If you're only going to use them occasionally, you'll probably be fine sticking to your normal routine.