PDA

View Full Version : My Colorfix story

Joliebaby
July 2nd, 2010, 06:27 AM
I'm an old-timer at the hair boards, just haven't been around much the last couple of years. I have been one of those "Is it blonde? Is it brown? What is it it?" -people.. I was a light blonde as a kid, gradually my hair darkened, and I've been dyeing from the age 13 pretty much. I shaved my head and intended to grow out with my natural hair color. But in that stage where it was super short and the color looked bland, I though, well I could just use something to tone it a little bit.. until it's grown a bit longer... and from there I went again the dyeing route.

My hair stylist friend claims my hair is level 6 at least. For the past two years I've colored it with level 5 or 6 semi permanent dye at a salon, or bought the dye at a salon and colored home. The peroxide was always super low, like 1,5-2%. The last time I colored I bought level 5.0 natural brown, wanting to just tone down some burgundyish red shades, thinking I'd like to stop dyeing altogether. My hair went much darker, I guess about level 4. (I wanted to buy level 6.0 but they didn't have it..)

It wasn't lightening fast enough. My friend suggested a bleach soap cap. I came across colorfix in the net and it seemed to have rave reviews so I ordered two boxes. I really didn't want to damage my hair and end up hating it and cutting it. The benign neglect has been working for me so well and it's finally getting long again!

I had colored my hair some 5-6 times during the past two years, always with salon quality low peroxide, ammonia free semi permanent dye. I knew it might not work so well on semi permanent. But it did! I did two applications (though I think one would have been enough- I just wanted to get out everything that would possibly come out!) and I washed my hair with a chelating shampoo 6 times to get out all chemicals and dye molecules.

And what do you know, my hair is what i think is level 6 honey brown color. There are some warm tones that must be from the peroxide in the dyes, as low level as it was.

When my roots grow more I'll see how close it got to my virgin hair. Now I have very little roots but they do seem to be the same level of darkness. Is my hair really this dark? I guess it must be!! Though it said that semi permanent dyes have oxidative AND direct dyes, and the reason colorfix doesn't work as well on them is that it doesn't remove the direct dye molecules. Oh well. I guess I will see soon enough how much the color differs from my virgin hair!!
Technically level 6 is from dark blonde to light brown I guess.. But to me it seems brunette?? Or is it a tawny ;)

My hair isn't damaged, just a little bit dry (well what else could it be after 2 colorfixes and 6 washes with mineral removing shampoo in one day...) but I'm going to oil and condition more for a while to get the moisture level up.

I have wanted to stop dyeing my hair so long. Now I have a daughter, a beautiful brunette curly headed girl. I want her to learn to love herself the way she was created. I can't say "love yourself as you are" if I keep changing myself.

I tried to post pics but it didn't work... I will try to make an album. ETA: In my album there are before and after pics!

ETA: IN my siggy pic the ends are oiled and look a bit darker.. The color is actually uniform.

BattahZ
July 2nd, 2010, 08:03 AM
Glad to hear it worked for you! Your hair looks lovely. I also did Colorfix a couple of months ago and was very pleased with the results - I probably need to do it again to really get my ends to match my roots a bit better, but they're close enough so I've left them alone. It really isn't as damaging as it seems like it would be.

Qadupae
July 2nd, 2010, 08:50 AM
Congratulations on your journey to natural hair color Joliebaby ^_^ I am also on the same route and Colorfix has been awesome for that. I've been dying blacks for up to 5 years and just recently went back to my natural medium ash brown/almost gray color ^_^ Its amazing what some chemicals are capable of doing. Can't wait to see more pictures of your newly reclaimed color!

dropinthebucket
July 2nd, 2010, 09:17 AM
Beautiful hair!!

I've been trying to go back to my own colour for a couple of years now - every time i dye the ends to match the growing-in, the dye washes out leaving me with two-toned hair again. Then i tried henna (long story, best left for another thread.... :) ). I'm so happy you have a good match that will let you grow out and feel good about keeping the length! That's my goal, too! :D