PDA

View Full Version : Flat hair :(

kritir
July 2nd, 2010, 02:52 AM
I have almost BSL hair that's thicker in the bottom layers than the top layers (I have no idea why! Mum's is the same). When I go to sleep, I let it loose because braids irritate the back of my neck at night, and if i tuck the end under I open the braid to weird, angled inwards hair.

My problem is that my hair, freshly washed in the morning, always, without fail, goes flat the morning after. It annoys me because it looks super fine and just.. ergh.

I will NOT backcomb like mags suggest, and I hate using hairspray!

What do you do to combat flat hair?

Fethenwen
July 2nd, 2010, 03:33 AM
I will again suggest (like I have done to many others) that you should sleep with your hair held up high ^^ A high bun on top of your head, or a braid gives a lot of volume.

Desideira
July 2nd, 2010, 05:48 AM
I would suggest massaging your scalp. With your finger or I use tangle tezer for that. This will increase blood flow in hair builb and till make it lifted, it shoudl promote better hair growth to:)

Merewen
July 2nd, 2010, 06:53 AM
You could wet just the top a little bit and then take clips and clip it so that it dries "sticking up". I just use beak clips. Then when you take it out, it's not so flat.

kritir
July 2nd, 2010, 07:27 AM
Just about bedtime now so I'll see how I go with a more secure high bun. I'm a restless sleep so anything (read, even with 5 or 6 Bobby pins) turns into a snarl of flat in the morning.

I did actually try the scalp massage, I don't think it's as effective when it's freezing cold but it felt awesome :)

Merewen I dry my hair by pinning it up in little coiffs, but are clips okay for overnight?

countryhopper
July 2nd, 2010, 07:40 AM
I had issues with flat hair when I used shampoo daily. It could be that your products are weighing down the root.

I have had good success with putting my hair in a topknot with a scrunchie at night. I also do braids (a high english braid or a french braid with the tail tucked under to avoid it brushing against your neck) and sock curls.

My ultimate secret weapon against flat roots is dusting the roots with a tiny bit of cornstarch and rubbing it in... instant volume!!

linda g
July 2nd, 2010, 07:57 AM
When I put my hair up to keep it out of the way when I shower, I use 2 clips, one for the top section of hair, one for the bottom. The top one, I kind of twist and push forward a bit so the hair near my face is kind of lifted up.

I leave the clips in for a little while after my shower to let the moisture from the shower steam to dry out, and to let it "set".

This gives the hair near the front of my face a little volume.

melikai
July 2nd, 2010, 09:38 AM
Silicones really flatten my hair, so check your shampoo and conditioner for them. Straighter hair lies more flat than curly or wavy hair, but what you're talking about sounds more like limpness, which for me stems from the type of products I'm using.

If you want to secure a bun on the top of your head for sleeping, mini claw clips are useful for that.

May
July 2nd, 2010, 10:01 AM
You could always cut some long blended layers that would take the weight off the top and decrease the poof at the bottom to avoid the pyramid look. Styling is ok but it doesn't take care of the problem permanently.

Capybara
July 2nd, 2010, 10:04 AM
If I want super volumous hair, I put it up in a bee-butt bun right on the top of my head for the night. I don't secure it with anything, but I'm sure a clip of scrunchie would work fine :)

kritir
July 3rd, 2010, 04:52 AM
My hair is curly, so when it's voluminous, it is REALLY voluminous. But flat curls are just really gross. What's the point of a flat curl? Always makes me feel like just washing the top and reaching for the straighteners.

I use silicone based conditioner (it has dimethicone listed pretty high up) but I make a point to put shampoo on my roots and conditioner on my ends and wash it off together, very thoroughly! No silicone products touch my scalp at all (yayyy).

The shower tip sounds awesome! Will try tomorrow, thanks :)

I think I might get layers cut as well.. as much as I'd love to keep my evenness, I cannot stand triangulation!

Thank you, all! :)

ObsidianShimmer
July 3rd, 2010, 05:30 PM
i have flat hair too. it's thick, but flat, which is just plain weird. Yesterday, after washing my hair, i used a Volumizing Mousse and let my hair air dry. Today, I noticed that my hair has more volume. I also used a Sea Salt spray, but I don't know if that helped give my hair more body. Maybe you should try a mousse with your hair after showering, as I did. Just try it and see what happens. I have a big problem with flat hair, and if this works for me, then it would likely work for you as well.

kritir
July 4th, 2010, 07:42 AM
I tried chucking in mediumish sized curlers on the top layers and just letting the ends hang and dry normally when my hair was almost half dried - awesome volume! Just spritzed it with some heat protectant with light hold and it came out looking awesome.

I'll try and see if I can keep a bun in tonight!

spidermom
July 4th, 2010, 09:59 AM
Try a top-of-head braid for night and direct the braid over the top of your pillow. Or you could make a ponytail on the top and roll the ends on curlers. I used to use the spongy kind before my hair got too long to hold a curl.

*Aoife*
July 4th, 2010, 02:29 PM
I finger comb when bending over with my head upsidedown and my hair hanging towards the floor when I need a volume towards my scalp. I can't manage high buns, they really hurt my scalp.
GRU has some fantastic pictures of triangle-head-ness. I think she said something about stopping being a triangle head when her hair got longer. I'm sorry, I can't quite remember what she said.

kritir
July 5th, 2010, 07:54 AM
I don't think my hair is long enough for a top of the head braid! I'll give it a try though, I think I might only get in one or two sections before it ends.

Those photos from GRU are fantastic! I saw them in another thread, but lol'd all the same. Mine's not quite that extreme, but it is annoyingly so.

My hair looks fantastic blow dried/straightened right now, so I'm finding it very tough to keep myself away.

kritir
September 3rd, 2010, 07:39 AM
So, if anyone wants gorgeous hair that doesn't get dirty and stays voluminous for a week without washing - get on Accutane.

It has dried my hair out soooo much - I try to limit washing, and then use loads of conditioner/leave ins and oil the day before I go to bed and it looks fabulous. Here's hoping there's nothing nasty about to happen because of all the dryness.

irishlady
September 3rd, 2010, 12:42 PM
Hello :)

I have the same problem with my hair.

What I usually do, which helps a great deal, is I bundle my hair up with a scrunchie to sleep, this adds volume (I put it in a pony tail but don't pull the hair all the way through the scrunchie).

I also, and I do this more often, wear my hair in 2 braids to sleep, it just makes it look thicker, and enhances my waves, which look like braidwaves anyway, so yeah.