PDA

View Full Version : Steam rooms and hair?

christine1989
July 1st, 2010, 08:25 PM
I'm going to Vancouver BC in a week and staying at the Westin. Its a great hotel and has fantastic facilities including a spa, pool, nail salon and steam room :cheese:. However, I got to thinking how steam will effect my hair. On the one hand heat is good for hair growth but on the other hand it could dry it out. Does anyone have any insight into this? Should I use oil on my hair to protect it from the steam? Can I use steam to benefit my hair or do you think it will be detrimental? :confused:

Tiina
July 1st, 2010, 08:38 PM
Steam, unless it is extremely hot (and I doubt you would go near extremely hot steam) should not affect hair differently than high humidity. Imagine hair that has gotten damp and that's it. It would probably be a good idea to keep the hair in a braid or 'do so there won't be a problem with the frizzies and flyaway. Other than that, I don't think it will be very hard for your hair to cope; unless you are going to a high heat sauna (steam sauna's are usually only between 40-50centigrade), the oil should not be necessary.

Hotrox
July 1st, 2010, 08:40 PM
Hello

I read on nc.com about a woman who put her deep conditioning treatment on before gong into the steam/sauna room and the heat helped it to absorb and condition her hair.

I guess it would work with oils too

Sissy
July 1st, 2010, 08:43 PM
I have used deep conditioners on my hair and gone into a sauna and it works nicely. Actually, I took damp hair and covered it in Giovanni Smooth As Silk and then went into a very steamy, hot suana for half and hour and the results to my hair were great!

heynormy
July 2nd, 2010, 12:35 AM
I would say potential frizz factor..but that might just be me!!
On the other hand, I would have to agree with the above posters about the deep conditioning or oil..the heat would help the products absorbs very well!

HintOfMint
July 2nd, 2010, 12:58 AM
Someone on this site wrote about doing a deep conditioning treatment while in the sauna and that it was fabulous.

I can imagine a deep treatment, such as an SMT, which contains humectants which draw moisture from the air into your hair, would work exceptionally well in a sauna.

Sissy
July 2nd, 2010, 06:41 AM
Someone on this site wrote about doing a deep conditioning treatment while in the sauna and that it was fabulous.

I can imagine a deep treatment, such as an SMT, which contains humectants which draw moisture from the air into your hair, would work exceptionally well in a sauna.

yes, I have done a deep treatment in a sauna and it worked a treat. SMT is a fantastic idea, wish I had regular access to a sauna I'd do a weekly SMT in there!

StephanieB
July 3rd, 2010, 06:19 PM
I'm really confused by the posts in this thread: Does everyone understand that a sauna is dry heat and a steam room is wet/humid heat?

Why would steam (humidity) dry hair out? :confused:
At least, humid heat of a teperature low enough for the human body to tolerate...

And... it might be a great idea to deep condition in a sauna - but how does that answer the o.p.'s question about her hair in a steam room? :confused:

I'm not trying to pick a fight with or belittle anyone (so peace :)) ; I'm just genuinely confused.

Jessica Trapp
July 3rd, 2010, 06:48 PM
Maybe putting on an SMT before going in would be really good for your hair.

Just a thought.
jes

LouLaLa
July 19th, 2010, 02:34 PM
Its works brilliantly on my hair. I just put a very liberal ammount of conditioner or oil on my hair (im trying to use up soem of my stash!)

It makes it really soft and shiny and lie flat. This may not be everyones goal, but I have naturally extremely straight hair so I dont have the frizzies issue to contend with and like it to be almost mirror like in finish (btw Im a CO'er too).

Also maybe im imagining it but it seems like my hair is longer after doing it :S
Now I know this could be attributed ot the hair lying even more flatly to my scalp than usual but I used to dye my hair and after a few days of saunas and no root tought ups I had about a cm of extra roots.

Cleopatra18
July 19th, 2010, 02:55 PM
I also recomment doing a deep treatment with oil before going there.it works so good.

triumphator!
July 19th, 2010, 04:48 PM
Steam rooms are great. For the sauna, do something to protect against dryness.