PDA

View Full Version : wearing a hat

Brenda714
July 1st, 2010, 05:06 PM
my hair looks bad, I had the layers trimmed because I had SO much damage, now the ends look thin and the top canopy is really short, I've succombed to wearing a hat. I am in tears, and I hope people don't think I'm weird cause I wear a hat right now.

embee
July 1st, 2010, 05:19 PM
Sorry you're disappointed. Often haircuts do have that effect, though.

Don't know where you are, but here it is high summer, and sun hats are a very good idea. Also trying to get hair up off the neck because of the heat. I was out for lunch with a friend and we ate on the restaurant patio. Many people, tourists, going up and down the street were wearing sun hats - cloth or straw. So go for it. :)

Your hair probably doesn't really look as bad as you think - just picture to yourself all those fried, colored, bleached, straightened head of hair you see. Probably your hair feels soft and nice. And it's easy to care for.

Brenda714
July 1st, 2010, 07:30 PM
Thank you Embee. I'm in California so yeah it is common to see hats, except for me having to wear it later in the evening, makes me feel self-conscious. I'm hoping that I'll see it better in a week or so. I really appreciate your taking the time to read and respond to me, it means a lot.

squiggyflop
July 1st, 2010, 08:30 PM
i wore a hat during much of my growing out process to hide the weird mullet look of my pixicut.. i swear it really looked like a mullet growing out.. luckily it was winter and hats were allowed at my high school..

if it had been summer i would have worn a bandana or some other scarfy thing..

so at least i wont think you are weird..
*hugs*

eta: oh and i think i read somewhere that hair grows faster when you wear hats because the heat retention keeps the blood flowing to the folicles.. this has proved true for me.. so hopefully it will be true for you

UltraBella
July 1st, 2010, 08:49 PM
If I knew what your cut looked like I could give you some cute growing out styles that are easily achieved with a few Bobby pins....... Hats are great, but they can get warm sometimes. I grew out some very thick bangs and it took forever, but thank goodness for Bobby pins ! I felt like I had one short layer in the very front..... Not a good feeling ! Hang in there, it gets better :)

Brenda714
July 1st, 2010, 11:33 PM
Hey Squiggyflop, you made me smile, thank you. Yeah that's the problem this weird mullet thing that has happend. So befriending hats has helped. Thanks for not thinking I'm weird though. and for writing encouragement to me. Blessings! xo

UltraBella, you have such beautiful hair, OMG, I will try bobby pins and see what happens, sorta have two left hands, but thank you also for your kind words and helping a sister who is down on her hair.. xo

countryhopper
July 1st, 2010, 11:41 PM
Hats will protect your hair from sun damage and drying out. I need to start wearing them more often for this reason, but can't seem to make myself get into the habit!

So just look at it as a protective measure for your hair. You can even oil your hair and put the hat on and give yourself a deep oil treatment!

loralie
July 2nd, 2010, 01:05 AM
Aw honey! I'm so sorry :( I'm positive it doesn't look as bad as you think, it's so hard when it's YOUR hair that you notice all the time though. I'm like that with my funky layers too.

Be consoled that you got rid of the damage, and it WILL grow. I definitely second what Ultra Bella says about the bobby pins- try updos where you pull the short pieces back away from your face, give them a light twist and pin, sticking the pin in first toward the back of your head to catch some hair and then flip it so it's going towards the front of your head, and push it in. This way, it hides most of the pin!

Cheer up!!! At least this way, you're starting fresh. Honey you could wear a toilet paper roll on your head and still be stunning. :flowers: Feel better!

Dragon
July 2nd, 2010, 02:32 AM
Sorry you're disappointed. It shouldent look weird wearing a hat all the time. It doesent matter if it's day or night, the minute I leave my place, I always wear a hat. I dont need to. Dont even no why I do it.

Alcenaia
July 2nd, 2010, 08:13 AM
I'm sorry! :grouphug: To change it up a little, you could wear a cute snood or a scarf. I'm sure your hair will be better soon!

linda g
July 2nd, 2010, 08:26 AM
Hi Brenda :) Hang in there!

I think hats are a cute look, so just hold your head up rock the look! If you project confidence with it, no one else will ever guess that you're feeling insecure.

dropinthebucket
July 2nd, 2010, 09:19 AM
fun suggestion - baseball cap, side or backwards? ya know, 'cause then you're wearin' a hat with 'tude! ;)

curlytm
July 2nd, 2010, 09:26 AM
I love big floppy sun hats. I rock 'em all the time. Getting creative with bad haircuts can be fun. I second UltraBella's suggestion of bobby pins. They are the best tool for securing unruly layers and hair that flops into your face when you don't want it to. Best of luck, beautiful.

Henrietta
July 2nd, 2010, 10:23 AM
Hat is SOOOO stylish. People won't laugh at you, they will be envy, because you are brave and self-confident (all in all, hats aren't popular) and you look fantastic!
I wear a hat too sometimes:) Straw hat. I love it.

Deborah
July 2nd, 2010, 11:16 AM
I like hats a lot, but if you tire of wearing one, maybe you could try a snood, or possibly wear some silk or cotton scarves.

Brenda714
July 2nd, 2010, 05:25 PM
Thank you, I love all of you, your the best. LHC is truly a place to find comfort during bad hair months and months :)

bugeyedmonster2
July 2nd, 2010, 07:34 PM
my hair looks bad, I had the layers trimmed because I had SO much damage, now the ends look thin and the top canopy is really short, I've succombed to wearing a hat. I am in tears, and I hope people don't think I'm weird cause I wear a hat right now.

Don't cry! Hats can be very stylish! Look for some hat shops in your area. Or go to a craft store and see if they have plain straw hats that you can embellish with ribbons or flowers.

I wear hats in the winter as my head gets cold easily. (I mean like painful cold.) I have one black felt hat with interchangeable ribbons. You can cut the ribbon to fit and either sew the ends of the ribbon or put a little fray check on the ends. Then you can add flowers or beads to ribbon.

You can also use scarves to decorate your hat.

Oh, don't forget to get some long vintage/antique hatpins from eBay, or Etsy or www.longlocks.com. You'll need them so the wind doesn't blow your hat away.

Or you can buy plain long stickpins and decorate them with beads. You'll need two stickpin stoppers, one is glued in place just under the beads to keep the beads in place. You can also add glue to the pin and then slide the beads over to help the beads stay in place. I prefer to let the beads spin, so I don't glue my beads.

Does that help you any?

Maybe get some Kentucky Derby style hats?

anniemae
July 20th, 2010, 03:01 PM
Hi Brenda,
I saw one of your pics in your photo album, and I think your hair looks very pretty. Sometimes we are our own worst critics.

I've gotten many a bad haircut, so I know how you feel. Just this past March, I went to a new hair stylist, and she really botched up my hair. She chopped my sides - everything I grew out for months, she just cut off within 30 minutes. I promised myself that I won't get it cut for a long time now. I'm just going to trim my own bangs every so often.

Don't worry, time "heals" everything, and it will grow out. One day at a time.... :cheer:

Chiara
July 20th, 2010, 11:45 PM
Hi Brenda,

Oh, you poor darling. Hang in there! It will get better.

One thing I like to do if I'm trying to distract people from my hair is wear a pretty clip (maybe a bit sparkly, if its night time) near your face. That might not be your thing, but sometimes something like that can just make you feel pretty again. And it kind of draws attention to the clip, and away from your hair. A very stylish friend of mine taught me that trick. She has really fine, wispy, fairy-floss hair that basically dissolves if it gets longer then shoulder length, so she would always just put it up and have something pretty in there, like a frangipane flower.

Also, I found those really teeny claw clips can be very handy for clipping up small amounts of hair without it being so obvious that there is not that much hair to clip.

Mexibeach
July 21st, 2010, 09:18 AM
Awwwww I feel your pain. It was great to read this post cuz I have those days too - I have a floopy knitted hat that I wear when nothing else works. I can finally fit the front into a clip as well so that helps.... time heals all these wounds. LOL Let's both hang in there together, it will get better in time!!!! OH! I use bandanas too - I look like a little old cleaning lady but I don't care, when nothing else works, sometimes those bad boys are the only fix!!! LOL

alwayssmiling
July 21st, 2010, 09:53 AM
Sorry you didn't like your cut, but now its healthy you can do some serious growing! Just to let you know that I LOVE hats. Hats have really got me through some awkward hair growing moments and I was getting complimented on my hats instead! I also love head bands too, they have kept my horrible short layers pinned down over the winter whilst they grew.