PDA

View Full Version : Taking curly hair from high to low humidity, help?

Mishka_84
July 1st, 2010, 02:22 PM
My little sister is visiting me for a week, and she's having trouble adjusting to the lower humidity here. She has shoulder length hair, very thick volume, but finely textured hair. And it's very curly: air-dried it turns into perfect Shirley Temple curls.

Does anyone have any advice I can pass to her to handle the lower humidity? She's pretty upset that it's not behaving normally. And I have no experience with curls, since mine is very straight.

AZDesertRose
July 1st, 2010, 03:05 PM
My little sister is visiting me for a week, and she's having trouble adjusting to the lower humidity here. She has shoulder length hair, very thick volume, but finely textured hair. And it's very curly: air-dried it turns into perfect Shirley Temple curls.

Does anyone have any advice I can pass to her to handle the lower humidity? She's pretty upset that it's not behaving normally. And I have no experience with curls, since mine is very straight.

I could probably tell you more if I knew how she is taking care of it now. She might want to use more conditioner and/or a leave-in conditioner; curls like moisture, and her hair is used to humid air. She might not want to wash quite as often in the drier air. For example, if she's used to washing it every other day, go to every three or four days in the drier climate. My hair isn't really curly, but my boyfriend's is (he's African American and has SUPER curly hair), and I'm used to helping him deal with his hair. Moisture moisture moisture is the rule with his hair.

curlytm
July 1st, 2010, 03:21 PM
I second this, but not only moisture, hydroscopic hair product. Anything with "water loving" components: honey, glycerin, etc.will attract moisture to the hair and prevent the frizzies. I live in Colorado, and the first few weeks here, I thought my hair loved it (because humidity can cause frizz, too). But, after a while, I noticed the dryness in the air was causing less "incidental weather related frizz" and more dry/thirsty hair frizz. My favorite hair gel for my curly hair is a super cheap home blend of 6-7 parts aloe vera gel, 1 part glycerin, 1 part oil (I use jojoba, sweet almond, or both), shaken in a little travel bottle thing. Hope this helps! :)