PDA

View Full Version : Hairytales

littlenvy
July 1st, 2010, 12:23 PM
I will tell you mine if you tell me your :)

Once upon a time, in a land far, far away, born was a little ordinary girl to an ordinary family in a very ordinary little town.
Her family loved her and even thou they were ordinary they wanted something special for her. So they searched for a Fairy Godmother to come and gift her with something nice. But alas, all the popular Fairy Godmothers were busy with real Princes and Princesses and had no time for ordinary folk.
After much trouble they were able to find a Fairy willing to burden herself with their little daughter. It was the Fairy of Universal Balance and Fairness. Thinking that it was a good thing, they asked the Fairy to gift their daughter with gifts.
So the Fairy gave her a hair of gold … but not curly; easy to manage but to be fair - weak and thin. And from then on the little girl was known as Goldie Nonlocks.
The Fairy also gave her intelligence above the ordinary but looks way below; richness in love of family but not in money and property... Well … you get the picture.
For most part Goldie Nonlocks lived a happy life. The only unhappiness in her came from not having beautiful hair like other little girls. While growing up, she spent lots of time trying to find the perfect potion that would make her hair at least ordinary if not lushes and thick.
But the harder she tried the worse her hair got. Until one day, the wisest apothecary in the land told her that if she wanted to have ordinary hair she had to stop using the evil ‘poo.
At first she was distraught because she thought the ‘poo made her hair better but after trying washing her hair in pure waters only she noticed that her non-locks seemed to heal and look much nicer than before.
She went on like this for a while and everything was good … until one day a little envy entered her heart and she got greedy and thought to herself “Maybe I don’t have to settle for ordinary; maybe I can have a beautiful hair like other maidens”.
So she began to search for potions again but this time not ones available to everyone, but the magical, forbidden ones! Finally after days of searching, she found a Which Doctor who had just the thing! He promised that it would make her hair smooth, lush and shinny! He promised that this magical Oil of the Seed of Neem would take all her hair problems away.
So she happily took the potion from him.
BUT ALAS! The oil was cursed! It had an overwhelming smell of a thousand cooking onions! Something no human being could stand!
Oh poor Goldie Nonlocks!! To be so close to something she wanted and yet so far away from it!
Then one night, when she was taken over and influenced by the naughty alcoholic spirits, in the darkness of the night, pass the 12 strokes of midnight … she got brave and poured the oil on her hair! Wrapped a towel over her head and fell asleep.
In the morning, when the naughty spirits left her body, she discovered what she had done!!!
Worse, the Prince discovered what she had done as well! (He couldn’t help it, he smelled her from a mile away) And even thou he loved her dearly, he had no choice but to banish her to the bathing chamber until such time as the smell was all gone!
So Goldie Nonlocks cried and washed her hair. Washed and washed until her fingers were sore but the oil would not leave her hair and the smell would not subside.
At one point she even thought of turning back to using the evil ‘poo but then decided to stand firm and brave the situation. Then she got and idea!
She used the sour cider made from apples to soak her locks in and to get ride of the smell. And it WORKED! Happy her!
She reunited with her Prince and family … and thought everything was good again, especially since her hair was now smooth and shinny!
Until … the next time she washed it. Thinking everything was safe; she washed her hair and went to bed. She woke up the next morning to that awful, cursed smell again!!
OH NO!! The good magic of sour apple cider must have shielded the smell and kept it at bay but once the shield was gone … the smell was back, and so were the stringy oily strands.
Woe that was Goldie Nonlocks! She had no time to wave the apple magic into her hair again before her daily duties began! What was she to do?! Then she remembered the Lovely Knighted Ladies of the Long Tresses. “They will know what to do!!” she cried.
So she rushed to the vast library of hair knowledge in search of an answer. Thread by thread, topic by topic she search until she came upon a Cinnamon thread! “THAT’s the answer” she tought. The Knighted Ladies said that Cinnamon was a distant relative of the all powerful Cassia!
And if Cassia powder was good for the hair ….
Goldie hurried to her kitchens, got the Cinnamon powder, rubbed it into her tresses and then combed them out leaving behind a wonderful spicy scent and oil free locks!
The day was saved! Goldie Nonlocks could continue with her daily duties without being shunned by her peers and family and without being banished from the kingdom!
She also swore never to mess with what the Fair Fairy Godmother has given her again …
… well … maybe until the next time.

breezefaerie
July 1st, 2010, 12:34 PM
I love this!

tinti
July 1st, 2010, 01:55 PM
Ok, my hairytale would look something like this.

Once upon a time, in a land in the cold North, there lived a girl named Christina. Her early childhood was rather dramatic, as shi was about to die of a decease noone discovered before she screamed because of some kind of pain. The medicine men found out that she had a lot of problems she had to take medicine to fix, but also, she was visually impaired and could only see about 5%. Once it was clear that she would survive, her parents took her home, giving her a lot of love and care. Her mom prayed for a Fairy to gift her troubled daughter, and the Earth Fairy came and gave her beautiful strawberry locks. Her hair was very strong, she found when she got older. She could do anything to it, except having both dye and per in it, and it still didn't need more than 2-3 trims a year. It were rather whispy and thin at first, but as she grew, the locks became thicker and thicker, but also straighter and straighter. Christina was not satisfied with theese seemingly thin, straight strands. She would have love a secret for her hair to be thicker. But she didn't find anything.

As her mother had cut her hair short when she was little, Christina tried to grow her hair multiple times. When she was 11 she actually managed to grow it longer than her shoulder, but then the trends at school told her to chop it, and so she did. But some years later she didn't care what trends told her to do, she began to grow her hair again. But as it grew, the less satisfied she was with the thickness, and the colour. She told her mom to put some blonde streaks in it, and that did the trick.

But her hair was still seemingly thin. It was not that straight anymore, which she was happy for. But one day at school she took a home treatment perm. Finally she was satisfied with her hair! Both blond, curly AND thick! She could finally rock some big messy buns! But when she came home in the winter holliday, her mom was shocked because of the damage. She took some scissors and chopped Christina's hair off. All off. Now she was back at the start again. Christina cried and cried over her beautiful hair that layed on the floor. She promised herself never to mess that much with her Fairy gift again. So she started growing it yet again. At arm pit lenght her mom cut some layers into it, but it, but as Christina got used to them she didn't like them very much. So she started to cut them, step by step. Her hair grew and got chopped of a lot of times.

About 3 years after the horrible perm chop, Christina found her secret. She was out shopping when she saw a leave in hair mask with "waves and curls" writen on the bottle. She buyed it, and got home to wash her hair. After washing it Christina took a pea sice of the hair mask and put it into her hair. As it dried her straight hair was not piking streight anymore. There was some kind of waves there, very little, but they were there. Some month later she saw a bottle with thickening foam or mousse. She picked it up and after washing her hair, Christina put some of it in her hair, with the leave in hair mask. She scrunched it a bit, and let it air dry. When her hair was all dry she saw her seemingly thin locks transformed into thick, messylooking, slightly waved strands. Christina danced with glee, showing all her friends and family her new hair. Soon they stopped selling the hair mask, though, but her hair stayed slightly wavy, nevertheless.

Soon Christina really got tired of the layers, though. She asked her mom to give her a bob with no layers. It was a bittersweet feeling to look into the mirror, seeing her short hair, but without the layers poking everywhere in her face. She started growing it, and it grew faster than ever, reaching her bra strap in only 2 years.

One day, Christina found a very nice website, called The Long Hair Community. She poked her hair in and said "Hi, can I join you?" They wished her welcome with open arms, and now she is reading a lot of new hair stuff, hoping they could help her get even helthier hair, learn some new styles, and not groan at her impatience for her hair to grow longer.

littlenvy
July 1st, 2010, 05:35 PM
Breezefaerie - Thank you :)

YAY Tinti! :cheese:
Man, blonde and thick is my dream. I don't even dare to dream of curly.
Hopefully Christina and Goldie will have a Happy Hair Ever After. :)

tinti
July 1st, 2010, 05:45 PM
I can dream :p But it's kinda fun that even without my magic thing my hair stayed in the not quite waves but still not just straight way. That's better than poker straight at least!!! But now my hair is actually virgin, nooo color or anything. Only thing I use is some kinda leave in creme and some mousse. It's actually pretty hot :D *big grin* But yikes how it has darkened! Going from strawberry blonde to copper red!

littlenvy
July 1st, 2010, 05:51 PM
Nothing wrong with copper red. Its still pretty.
Actually, nothing wrong with any colour. LOL
I guess we just all have a vision in our heads of what our hair "should" be. :)

And I'm happy things have worked out for you.

misstwist
July 1st, 2010, 11:05 PM
Is the big bad wolf a hairytale?

*has nothing constructive to add to this thread, just jokes*

countryhopper
July 1st, 2010, 11:20 PM
Wow, great job, guys!

Unfortunately, I am not creative when it comes to making up hairytales. :( But I love reading them!

slythwolf
July 2nd, 2010, 12:19 AM
The Fine-Haired Duckling

Once, not so long ago, in a land not so very far away, there was a little sawmill town standing at the Big Rapids of the land's great river. Into this town moved a young couple, just out of school and ready to start their life together.

The husband was tall and strong, with straight hair as black as pitch, which came down to him from his mother's ancestors in a faraway land shaped like a boot, but with his father's blue eyes. The wife also had blue eyes, but her hair was brown, coarser and wavier and was the thickest hair anyone had ever seen. In fact, it was so thick that, though she loved her wavy waist-length hair, it was so heavy she could barely hold her head up, and the headaches it gave her at last made it necessary to cut it off at armpit length.

Now in the fullness of time this young couple decided, as many young couples do, that they would like to add children to their family. The wife had grown up with many brothers and sisters and she wanted ten children, and the husband wanted only to make her happy, but there were medical complications. With the help of the wisest doctors in the land, the husband and wife became the parents of two little girls, and these little girls were as different as night and day.

The older of the two was louder, braver, more likely to climb trees and splash in mud puddles, with a merry laugh always ready to burst out at the slightest hint of humor, although there were some who said the humor was too often at the expense of others. She was a natural performer and always did well enough in school that her teachers liked her without doing so well that the other children didn't. Her hair was chestnut brown, stick-straight like her father's, and thicker even than her mother's.

The younger daughter was quiet and shy. She learned to read early and spent most of her time lost in her books; she only seemed to emerge when someone around her was doing or saying something she thought was unjust, and then her shyness was forgotten, and so the people of the town said she surely would become a lawyer one day. She was kind and compassionate to all who knew her, but the other children found her strange and all the teachers wanted to adopt her, because there was no subject in school she wasn't the best at, except for gym. She had a physical disability, but nobody could see it by looking at her, and so the townsfolk thought she was merely very clumsy. Her hair was the dusty light brown color of mice, straight as a ruler, and fine as fine could be.

"Your hair is so fine!" the people would say. "Fine as gossamer, fine as silk! It's just like a baby's hair!"

And it was, for the younger daughter had inherited her grandfather's hair.

The mother's father was descended from the people of Alsace-Lorraine, and his hair was light mouse brown and baby-fine--or it had been, when he was younger, when it was still on his head. The mother attributed its loss to his constant wearing of baseball caps, and though the younger daughter understood that it was probably really from male pattern baldness, she found herself unwilling to wear many hats.

Everybody loved the younger daughter's fine, silky hair. Everybody but her. Curl wouldn't stay in it. Clips wouldn't stay in it. It wouldn't stay in a braid or out of her face. And worst of all, when the three of them would be sitting together in the living room and doing each other's hair, her mother would gush to the older daughter, "Your hair is so thick! It's even thicker than mine! It's so pretty." And then, remembering herself, she would turn to the younger daughter and say, "Of course, your hair is pretty too."

For years the younger daughter thought her hair was inadequate. She used every product she could find that claimed to make it thicker or give it more volume, but they all just weighed it down more and made it lie flatter than flat. Blowfrying it upside down gave it a bit of lift that lasted for maybe a quarter of an hour. Setting it damp in curlers ended with tiny fragile hairs all tangled and snarled around the curlers, hundreds of snapped ends from yanking the curlers out, sad flattened waves by noon and flat stick-straight hair again--only with funny cowlicks--by the end of the day. Finally in desperation she began just leaving her hair in its braid and ignoring it most of the time.

When the young girl went away to college, she encountered a whole new world, as college often tends to be. New town, new knowledge, new people with new attitudes about her hair. Attitudes like: "Your braid is so thick! I wish I had that much hair." The girl was very confused. Surely her hair was fine and thin like her grandfather's? It was her mother and sister who had the thick hair!

Eventually the girl decided that she wanted to dye her hair red. She spent a lot of time about deciding, just to make sure it was really what she wanted, and in the end she decided to go for it. By this point her hair was down to her tailbone, and she decided to cut 14" off just so she didn't have to buy seventeen tons of dye. She bought three boxes, just to be safe, but was sure she would only use two, because her mother's thicker-than-thick hair of a similar length only took two boxes to cover the gray.

But what was this! The three boxes of dye were barely enough. How could this be? Her hair took more dye than her mother's?

Perhaps--just perhaps--very fine hair of maybe medium thickness had more surface area than fairly coarse thick hair? Perhaps she actually--no, this was just silly--she couldn't have more hairs per square inch than her mother and sister!

But this young woman had been trained in science. The evidence was clear. She actually had more hair than her mother and sister.

Around the same time, the young woman discovered the magical library of the Long Hair Community, a library that existed in the sparks of electricity traveling along wires, and to which any of its members could contribute their thoughts. She learned many things from the other long-haired people, including how to dye her hair with henna instead of damaging commercial dyes and not to blowfry anymore. But the thing that stuck in her mind the most of all was that, when she measured her ponytail, her hair turned out not to be in the "i" category of thickness, as she had always been led to believe; nor the "ii" category, as she had dared to hope.

She was a "iii". She was not a fine-hair after all. The duckling had blossomed into a beautiful, thick-haired swan.

littlenvy
July 2nd, 2010, 09:55 AM
Slythwolf! I love the story.
Especialy the line:
"Perhaps--just perhaps--very fine hair of maybe medium thickness had more surface area than fairly coarse thick hair? Perhaps she actually--no, this was just silly--she couldn't have more hairs per square inch than her mother and sister!"
:)

Countryhopper - Many thanks!
Misstwist - Hairy-jokes are good too. They are nothing more than little hairytale ;)

dropinthebucket
July 2nd, 2010, 11:20 AM
These tales are beautiful, funny, inspirational, and a great smile! i promise to come back and play soon ... ! :)

dropinthebucket
July 3rd, 2010, 12:41 PM
Long ago, in a time lost to memory, and a land far away, further south than the mouth of all oceans and further west than the setting sun, there lived a woman of The People. She had two strong hands, a firm back, a quick, sharp mind, and hair as long and strong as a willow sapling. The People needed her strong hands at sowing and harvest times. They needed her firm back when the wells ran dry in the season of dust and new ones needed to be found. They needed her sharp mind when neighbour fell out with neighbour and only fair words would restore the peace. In the winter, her hair kept her warm. In the summer, the trees gave her sticks to bear it up. In the dry weather, it fell straight like silk, and in the wet weather it curled like the silkworms in their cocoons. And when the woman willed, it curled round her lovers in the dark.

By and by, the woman noticed that her hair was no longer as black as the night sky, like it once was. Now, her hair shimmered with silver streaks, like the twilight, or the haze of heat at first dawn. Many of The People were lit so, and she thought nothing of it. They were a fair people, with hair of gold, hair of fire, hair of sable, hair of mink, and many of few years and some of many years, and their hair, like the rings of the oaks that surrounded their village, told the tale of their lives.

One day, a Man came. He came from over the sea, in a boat that was very strange to The People. They had never seen anything like it before. They had never seen its black, square sails, never seen its round, rowed eyes, never seen it numerous feet (for so they thought the oars were) before. The Man quickly began to tell The People how to be, how to think, how to dress, how to act. And because he seemed so sure of these things, and because he had Books he said told how it was, they believed him.

Soon after his arrival, the Man passed a decree, and he bolstered it with papers that were nailed to every tree around the village. The papers looked like strange, flattened leaves to the woman, and she was sad to see what had been done to the trees. The papers said that any woman over child-bearing age was to cut her hair short, and cover it up, so no one would see its ugly lack of colour. The woman was even more saddened, but she would not cut, and she would not cover. She did not believe. The Man sent men to hunt her out, and they shut her up in a tall, dark tower from which she would never escape. They said to her that if she would not do as she was told, she would have to stay there.

Over the years, her hair grew longer and longer and whiter and whiter in the tower room. And the woman grew sadder as she sat and watched the maidens outside the window. She heard strange rumours carried to her by the birds at the top window. The birds said that even the maidens were afraid now, and that they would do things to themselves at night, in private, so that they would not be shorn, or shut up. At first, the woman thought: "It is very unfortunate that my hair grew so white." But after the birds, the woman thought: "It is very unfortunate that the Man has so many Books. Indeed, it is very unfortunate that he arrived here, to begin with."

Many, many years after the woman had been shut up in the tower, a great storm came. Several of The People were at sea, in their boats, and the Man was with them. The Man also had friends now, from his own land, who were just arriving in their own boats. The storm raged and howled and it seemed to The People that it was trying to tear the earth in two. The woman knew, however, what was to be done. She let down her hair from the window, unfurled it in long, shining tresses until it reached the very bottom of the tower. And then the light from the moon caught her hair and it shone like a beacon, shone like the brightest star, and lit the sailors' way so they would not be dashed to pieces on the rocks. It shone with all the light and wisdom of The People and all their ancestors, all the way back into the deepest recesses of time. Only the Man was afraid of the light. The next day, he took his friends, and left the village, forever.

THE END :)

slythwolf
July 3rd, 2010, 01:57 PM
That was beautiful. I have goosebumps!

OperaTeacherMom
July 3rd, 2010, 02:47 PM
A Curl is a Curl, no matter how small

Once upon a time, in a strange and warm land called California, there was a young couple with several children. His hair was quite thick, and kept short for fear of the dreaded waves that would overtake his mane should it be longer than an inch. Her hair had once been the finest thin golden silk, very fine and beautiful; it was still beautiful, but had darkened to a light brown with the passage of time. Their first child, an adorable boy, was born without much hair at all, and it eventually grew much like his father's hair, adorned with slight waves if it reached a length greater than the span of two fingers. The next two children were girls, and much to their surprise, both had small ringlets of curls! The first, with chocolate brown hair, were messy, large curls, while the second had hair like the golden sun with a fiery red flame, and tight beautiful curls.

As the years passed, and they moved to the sunny, very hot land of Arizona, the older sister grew more and more unsure of her curls. They were not like her sisters, so were they truly curls, or were they just "waves"? To make matters worse, they now had another sister (as well as three young brothers) with fine, straight, white blonde hair. The eldest sister despaired, she had no idea what her hair was supposed to do, but it would not do it! To make matters worse, she tried wearing it long, and short, and no matter what it exhibited a puffiness and frizz that would make a poodle jealous.

Through all of this turmoil, the eldest sister followed her mother's hair cleansing ritual exactly: in every shower, use plenty of the washing 'poo from the land of Sham twice, rinse, and use the cream of conditioning, no more than a small coin, then rinse it out. When it had dried, the girl's mother instructed her that brushing was the only way to avoid messy looking hair. Alas, the poor girl's hair was dry, and longed for moisture, reaching out with frizzy, wavy strands, and the brushing gave her hair a poof that belonged in a previous decade. In her search for moisture, she found cream of conditioning that worked better than another, but still, it did not help the curls.

The family made another move, this time to Texas, the land of humidity and heat. The eldest daughter's hair curled far better than before, yet with more of the dreaded frizz. The daughter rebelled against her mother, and stopped using a hairbrush, though it pained her mother to see it. The daughter denied her natural curls for a time, and used hot irons to press her hair to a flat frizz.

Years went by, the daughter met her prince, married him, and had a son, all while secretly harboring a hatred toward her dreadful hair, until one day, she came upon a scroll of much significance. The name of the scroll was Curly Girl, and it instructed the daughter that her hair DID have curls, but the evil 'poo from the land of Sham was stripping them of their glory, and the evil -cones in the cream of conditioning were responsible for the limpness and lack of curling as well. What was this madness?? Give up the 'poo and the -cones? It must be some sort of trick, a witch or wizard had come up with this plan!

And yet, the eldest daughter began her journey to hair free of 'poo and cones, and much to her surprise, the ringlets of her youth had returned, in full force and glorious shine and bounce. Amazed, she sought out others on this journey, and upon finding her curly sisters, also found the Order of the Longhaired Knights. With curls finally adorning her head as a crown, the eldest daughter moved onward with a decision to grow her now beautiful curls into a waist length mantle cascading down her back.

The waves she once thought were impossible to tame, became curls that bounced and shone, and they all lived happily ever after.

littlenvy
July 3rd, 2010, 03:37 PM
That was beautiful. I have goosebumps!
*nods head*
I totally agree. Beautiful dropinthebucket.

OperaTeacherMom, I LOVE happy ending like that :)

Thank you Ladies. All the hairytales are just GREAT! And so much fun to read. :D