PDA

View Full Version : so I used olive oil...

RachelRain
July 1st, 2010, 11:48 AM
and now my hair seems to be more like a cape than anything else. It's not hard, or crunchy, or anything, but it feels like it's not moving like it normally does. Does this mean I used too much of it? It doesn't feel greasy or anything...

I have tons of waves today though. Not sure what that's from, but it's kind of neat. I usually only have a few that others can see but I can't, so... yay. :)

triumphator!
July 1st, 2010, 11:49 AM
What kind of Olive Oil?

RachelRain
July 1st, 2010, 11:51 AM
cold pressed extra virgin olive oil.

serverus
July 1st, 2010, 11:53 AM
it sounds like a reaction to protein. Do a deep treatment and maybe, it think so, it will be over. Maybe your protein sensitive.

RachelRain
July 1st, 2010, 11:55 AM
thank you!

GRU
July 1st, 2010, 11:58 AM
it sounds like a reaction to protein. Do a deep treatment and maybe, it think so, it will be over. Maybe your protein sensitive.

Olive oil has fats in it, not protein.

?????

amaiaisabella
July 1st, 2010, 12:01 PM
Did you use it on wet or dry hair? Sometimes that makes a difference. I do it on just the last few inches of my hair before putting it up, or in a deep treat, but never on wet hair. But- YMMV, of course :)

RachelRain
July 1st, 2010, 12:05 PM
dry. my father in law was fixing my shower pipe, so I didn't do anything to it conditioner-wise yesterday.

and I only did it like earlobes down, I didn't want to get it too close to my roots in case it got icky.

GRU
July 1st, 2010, 12:05 PM
Here's a link that shows the "Nutrition Facts" label for Olive Oil: http://www.peertrainer.com/DFcaloriecounterB.aspx?id=6874

Serving Size 1 tsp

Amount per serving

Calories 60 Calories from Fat 60

Daily Values % Daily Value*

Total Fat 7g 11%
Saturated Fat 1g 5%
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 0mg 0%
Total Carbohydrates 0g 0%
Protein 0g

Vitamin A 0%
Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 0%
Iron 0%

* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.

Anje
July 1st, 2010, 12:12 PM
Oil treatments often seem to make hair stick together a bit more and generally act less "fluffy" and flyaway, even when you manage to get it all out. Shampooing a bit more should fix that, if you don't like it, but you might want to consider it for a while first. Fluffy hair can mean that it's over-dry, while smooth, shiny, cape-like hair can be very nice, even if it doesn't move the same way.

RachelRain
July 1st, 2010, 12:15 PM
I like that it's not staticky and uber frizzy like it usually is, it just seems weird. Usually when my hair does this, it's because I've been reeeeeally sick for like a week and missed a shampoo or two because I couldn't get out of bed. Except it doesn't *feel* gross, so I'm fighting the urge to go wash the hell out of it.

RachelRain
July 1st, 2010, 01:36 PM
If I use mayo on my hair, can I use a canola mayo (it's eggless, for vegetarians) or would I have to get the one with eggs? I'm not sure of the ingredients but I know I have some in my fridge.

I used to get really nice shine from regular mayo (although it smelled nasty) so I was considering trying this again once a week or whatever in addition to the oil...

any thoughts?

Anje
July 1st, 2010, 01:51 PM
Well, I found ingredients for Spectrum Eggless "Light Canola Mayo": Filtered Water, Expeller Pressed Canola Oil, Cornstarch, Distilled White Vinegar, Apple Cider Vinegar, Sea Salt, Soy Protein Isolate, Lemon Juice Concentrate, Xantham Gum, Onion Powder, Natural Vitamin E, Oils of Rosemary, Mustard, Turmeric and Paprika.

Honestly, you could do a lot worse than putting that on your head, if you're so inclined. My hair wouldn't be fond of it for the protein, but my hair's a bit picky as far as that goes.

Have you tried doing an SMT? The basic recipe is 4 parts conditioner, 1 part clear aloe vera gel, 1 part honey. If you're vegan and don't want the honey, I've found that molasses and corn syrup both work well as alternatives -- any sugary syrup seems to help moisturize.