PDA

View Full Version : Homemade soap

Bller
July 1st, 2010, 10:23 AM
Few of my mother`s friends told me that when they were young, they would have had very long hair. And they would not use anything else besides homemade soap.
The overall recipe of this was made from boiled animal fat some herbal plants from the field mixed with a well calculated dosage of lye, caustic soda. They would mix `em, pour them into forms and let them dry 3 4 weeks. They all told me it was the best choice for a healthy hair, and if they were able to make themselves some soup they would any day throw any commercial products in the favor of this soap. Also they told me the ACV rinse is great once in a while and don`t need any commercial silicone full conditioners `cose that ACV solution is one of a kind.
Question is, would anyone of you give away commercial hair products in the favor of this kind of homemade stuff?

Neoma
July 1st, 2010, 10:52 AM
Bller, you'll find out everything you ever wanted to know about shampoo bars on this thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=74&highlight=shampoo+thread).

Fractalsofhair
July 1st, 2010, 11:21 AM
Yep, I use shampoo bars, and they rock for me! The thread linked is awesome.

I don't make them myself though.

triumphator!
July 1st, 2010, 11:54 AM
I think a lot of people on this site have regimens like that, you'd be surprised!

Loreley
July 1st, 2010, 01:13 PM
I'd like to try shampoo bars but I haven't seen them anywhere in the drug stores and even on the internet. :(
I tried ACV but it made my ends very dry.

crazy_margaret
July 1st, 2010, 02:24 PM
I'd like to try shampoo bars but I haven't seen them anywhere in the drug stores and even on the internet. :(
I tried ACV but it made my ends very dry.

TRY http://chagrinvalleysoapandcraft.com/shambar.htm

I have tried a few of thiers and they are really good. Also see the link the the shampoo bar thread above. There are TONS of online sellers of shampoo bars :)

kdaniels8811
July 1st, 2010, 02:45 PM
Homemade soap rocks, if you have access to materials (start with 5 pounds fat and render...) and the willingness to make it. Otherwise, check out Etsy, lots of homemade soap there. Yes, it is much better for your hair, body, and the environment.

Sissy
July 1st, 2010, 02:52 PM
I wouldn't go as far as to say I'd want to throw away all my conditioners and lotions and such in favor of just the homemade, but I have used and Chagrin Valley Shampoo bars and have done OK with them, have also done ACV rinses from time to time. I love Chagrin Valley soaps for the body but I usually just buy Kiss My Face Olive Oil soaps as they're cheaper but still really good for the skin.

ETA: I don't think it's necessary to use animal fat on ones head though... I wouldn't do that, I'd prefer a vegan or vegetarian product that has not been tested on animals.

jera
July 1st, 2010, 02:55 PM
I've been using the WO method for a couple of weeks now and I like it. What could be more natural? I don't think I'd want to use a soap made from animal fat and lye as your mom's friends mentioned, but poo bars aren't so you could choose from those if you like. :) ACV makes my hair dry so I avoid it.

May
July 1st, 2010, 03:14 PM
I would not use soap made from animal fat and lye...that sounds kind of...I don't know...:disgust: There are just sooo many products out there that I don't think it would be worth my time or energy to start concocting my own. :confused: I'll never say never so maybe one day I'd try but I'd prefer some vegetable based for sure.