PDA

View Full Version : A couple of questions regarding silicones and hard water

pinklemonade
July 1st, 2010, 07:03 AM
Hello LHC!
I usually don't use cones but I went to the hairdresser's several days ago and got my hair shampooed and conditioned with silicones (of course). My hair looked great and shiny but now it's starting to look and feel really dry, so I wanted to heavy oil it with coconut oil. I read on the forum though that cones cover the hair shaft so does that mean that the oil I put on my hair now wouldn't penetrate and be useless? I really don't like using baking soda or vinegar to clarify because my hair is just too dry, is there another way to get rid of these cones?

Another question I have is: is there an alternative to using vinegar or distilled water if one has to use hard water? If I don't have a water filter, do you think bottled water (for a final rinse) could help? Thanks in advance!:)

dropinthebucket
July 1st, 2010, 07:13 AM
Bottled water still contains minerals, sometimes far more than in your tap water (minerals make it taste nice!). Vinegar "eats away" at the hard water buildup on your hair if you use it for a final rinse, but it does take awhile and a few rinses (especially if, like me, you'd be afraid to leave the vinegar on too long). Distilled water is one route if you don't want to use your hard tap water and can't get a water filter or water softener. You might also look online for the chelating shampoos that are supposed to work at keeping hard water off right in the water out of the tap as you're using it.

I'm in the same situation right now - can't install a softener or filter, and our city water is extremely hard, plus it's full of some unpleasant chemicals that react badly with henna and cassia. I've been buying big jugs of distilled water at the grocery store (they're pretty cheap). I do boil a bit of water in the kettle, just to warm the distilled up a wee bit so it's not cold but tepid going on. Actually, overall, i use WAY less hot water than i did before when i used to do my hair in the shower!! And my bills prove it. I figure I'm actually saving energy this way, and the jugs are recycled.

pinklemonade
July 1st, 2010, 07:32 AM
Thank you for the advice dropinthebucket! :) My water is Really hard so I thought bottled water would still be a better alternative.....I guess I'll go with the distilled water when possible. It's weird because some people say hard water doesn't really do much to hair while others say it makes hair dryer/rougher. I wonder if it would really make a big difference to hair, like does hard water actually Cause splits or something?

melikai
July 1st, 2010, 02:14 PM
A thorough wash on your scalp *and* length with a sulphate shampoo will work. Just be sure to condition well afterwards.

Masara
July 2nd, 2010, 12:29 AM
I have very hard water. My hair doesn't seem to like vinegar, so I put a small amount of citric acid in a jug for my final rinse. That seems to work well for me.

A month or so ago, I bought a shower filter. That really made a difference, I stopped using the citric acid. Now, I'm getting the feeling that it's not working so well so I've gone back to the citric acid rinse.

teela1978
July 2nd, 2010, 12:45 AM
Oil penetrates silicones fine on my hair. It seems to vary from person to person though. My hair likes its cones!

jeanniet
July 2nd, 2010, 01:44 AM
I do the citric acid rinses, too. I have well water, so not only is it hard, but it has iron and other minerals in it. I don't know if hard water actually damages the hair, but it does make mine drier and just generally less manageable. Doing the citric acid rinses has made quite a difference. I use about 1/4 tsp. per 1/2 gallon of water, but you'd have to play around with amounts to see what works best for you.