PDA

View Full Version : *tears*

crazy_margaret
June 30th, 2010, 05:30 PM
I almost started crying this morning...my hair is very fine and on the thin side... and I lost around 40 hairs this morning from washing... then gently combing. I joke around about it... but I REALLY do think I will be mostly bald by the time I am 30

Jessica Trapp
June 30th, 2010, 05:32 PM
Huge hug! :grouphug:

ibleedlipstick
June 30th, 2010, 05:40 PM
I am so sorry :grouphug:

Amraann
June 30th, 2010, 05:40 PM
I almost started crying this morning...my hair is very fine and on the thin side... and I lost around 40 hairs this morning from washing... then gently combing. I joke around about it... but I REALLY do think I will be mostly bald by the time I am 30

People lose on average over 100 hairs a day. If 40 means your going to be bald then most of use here are doomed.
Please also remember that that hair sheds at differing rates throughout the year as well throughout your life.
That does not mean you will be bald.

You just have thin hair. Nothing wrong with that. Thin hair can look very beautiful! (as many long hairs can attest to)

ETA: Your hair does not look that thin in your pic. Are you sure that your hair is really thin? Like baby fine? Or have people just erroneously told you that your entire life?

crazy_margaret
June 30th, 2010, 05:55 PM
People lose on average over 100 hairs a day. If 40 means your going to be bald then most of use here are doomed.
Please also remember that that hair sheds at differing rates throughout the year as well throughout your life.
That does not mean you will be bald.

You just have thin hair. Nothing wrong with that. Thin hair can look very beautiful! (as many long hairs can attest to)

ETA: Your hair does not look that thin in your pic. Are you sure that your hair is really thin? Like baby fine? Or have people just erroneously told you that your entire life?

I know its normal to lose hair every day I am just not used to so much all at ones. I usually dont see so much hair in the shower.

I used to have very thick hair... then around puberty I lost the thickness due to hormones and stress. Its thin enough that my scalp shows in the front and I have to be carefull how I style it.

crazy_margaret
June 30th, 2010, 05:57 PM
Huge hug! :grouphug:

I am so sorry :grouphug:

Thanks you guys! I know its normal to go thru shedding periods but I tend to get over emotional about my hair. I guess I now know where my vanity lies!

MsBubbles
June 30th, 2010, 08:06 PM
Losing a larger amount of hair than normal can induce panic, especially if you have fine, thin hair to start with! Many of us here certainly understand where you're coming from.

Have you gone through all the usual checks...iron levels, thyroid/TSH, etc.?

Dragon
June 30th, 2010, 08:30 PM
I'm sorry to hear that. I washed my hair today and noticed I am losing more hair than normal to:(

x0h_bother
June 30th, 2010, 08:32 PM
going through the same issue :grouphug:

little_acorn
June 30th, 2010, 08:33 PM
:grouphug: :grouphug:

christine1989
June 30th, 2010, 08:47 PM
Up to 100 hairs a day in normal and I heard that we shed more in the morning than any time of day so don't panic. If you really worry about the amount of hairs you lose, you could give biotin a try. I tried it for growth and it did nothing for that but it greatly reduced the amount of hairs I shed.

missfortune9335
June 30th, 2010, 08:55 PM
I would suggest measuring the circumference of your pony tail and then checking it once in a while to actually see if it's getting any thinner before you panic. It could just be regular shedding, I also have very fine hair and it seems like I loose a wad of it every day but it never actually gets any thinner.

missfortune9335
June 30th, 2010, 08:57 PM
oh, also now that my hair is longer it seemed to me for a while that I was loosing so much more hair all of a sudden, when really it was just *longer* than it had been in a very long time so there was a bigger hair ball in the brush. Could it be that for you too?

Demetrue
June 30th, 2010, 09:05 PM
If you are truly concerned, you could have your dr. do a blood test for thyroid or other health issues that can cause hair loss.

Hotrox
June 30th, 2010, 09:10 PM
oh, also now that my hair is longer it seemed to me for a while that I was loosing so much more hair all of a sudden, when really it was just *longer* than it had been in a very long time so there was a bigger hair ball in the brush. Could it be that for you too?

This is very true, I had a panic recently about how much hair their appeared to be in the shower each day - but I realised that the number of hairs hadn't increased but that the volume 'seemed' more because they were longer.

I know you count, so this is not the problem for you. It was probably just 'one of those days' I'm sure tomorrow and the day after will be back to normal.

Have a nice cup of tea, and healthy food day (always makes me feel better) and a hug form me :blossom:

jeanniet
June 30th, 2010, 09:24 PM
I shed heavily at the beginning of summer, so that might be part of what you're seeing. If that's so, it should subside in a couple more weeks or so. I hope it's nothing else. It must be very distressing for you to see so many shed hairs when your hair is already on the thin side. :flowers:

bugeyedmonster2
June 30th, 2010, 09:53 PM
Have you been to the doctor for a check up? You could have diabetes, which can thin hair. Thyroid troubles can also cause hair problems.

Maybe keep track of how many hairs you lose on a daily basis.

Loreley
July 1st, 2010, 01:26 AM
I'm sorry. :grouphug: Maybe you should see a doctor to know what causes it. Have you tried hair vitamins?

Debra83
July 1st, 2010, 01:35 AM
I would definitely check out vitamins, for your hair AND your health. Skin, hair, nails show first when we are deficient in any vitamins. Make sure you are eating properly throughout the day (3 meals, 2 healthy snacks), a variety of each food group, and supplement ON TOP of that. Cereals like Vector, whole milk, whole eggs, whole wheat bread, protein, fruits, yoghurt, and veggies will also help your body repair and plug up the missing vitamin holes. Maybe some of those Carnation breakfast powder drinks added to milk as well.

Purdy Bear
July 1st, 2010, 04:56 AM
Oh big bear hugs to you :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

It can be very shoking to find hair like that. If your hair is un-naturally thin then go to see you Dr, as there maybe an easily rectified reason for it.

DARKMARTIAN
July 1st, 2010, 05:10 AM
It may not be anything to worry about. I lose hairs all the time through washing and brushing and ponytails. Ive actually wondered how I dont go bald because as long as my hair is... i KNOW that it cant be growing back as quick as I lose them. Seeking medical help as other have mentioned may not be a bad thing.....but if I was going to do that from losing what I have.... it seems like id live at the doctors office!

But its worth taking notice of for sure. .... *sending hair vibes*

crazy_margaret
July 1st, 2010, 09:24 AM
Thank you everyone for kind words and encouragement. I have had my thyroid checked by every doctore I have ever gone to because all of my health issues point to that... but the tests always come out normal. I try to eat somewhat healthy... there IS of course room for improvement. I started taking biotin a couple weeks ago but have been off of it for a few days. I got a migraine that has lasted 12 days so far so I am going to see if that is what triggered it.
There might be something to the longer length theory. I have had short hair for the last year and a half...like chin length. I dont remember my hair wrapping around my fingers when I am washing it before.
I plan on seeing another naturapath doctor. The one I used to go to got really wierd and wasnt very helpful anymore. I have tried traditional doctors but they just want to write me a prescription to treat the symptom and send me out the door.

Again.. thank you SO much... I am just going to keep trying to eat healthy, take vitamins and fish oil and be gentle to my hair and see what happens in the next couple months.

scottishsttr
July 1st, 2010, 09:32 AM
Definitely find another naturopath! Probably the *only* thing I miss about living in Seattle is access to Bastyr's clinic. They solved my migraines and my abdominal pain issues in about four months last year, after living with both nearly constantly since Summer 2005. Have you tried accupuncture for the migraines? It can be very effective for some people.

Keep on trying different doctors until you find one that listens to *you*. You know your own body better than anyone else, and a doctor that respects your knowledge - naturopath or MD - is very valuable.

Believe me, I know what a hassle it is. I went through 4 neurology appts before I finally found an MD that believed that the Imitrex wasn't having any effect on my headaches, and ultimately didn't start to get relief until I'd had about a month of accupuncture treatments, in combination with magnesium and some neurotransmitter precursors. Hang in there! I'd pass the tissue box if I could....

squiggyflop
July 1st, 2010, 09:39 AM
sorry to hear your upset.. dont worry though.. i lose way more than that.. and im not bald.. but i know what you feel.. i was at times losing more than 200 in the shower and detangling.. *hugs*

crazy_margaret
July 1st, 2010, 09:50 AM
Definitely find another naturopath! Probably the *only* thing I miss about living in Seattle is access to Bastyr's clinic. They solved my migraines and my abdominal pain issues in about four months last year, after living with both nearly constantly since Summer 2005. Have you tried accupuncture for the migraines? It can be very effective for some people.

Keep on trying different doctors until you find one that listens to *you*. You know your own body better than anyone else, and a doctor that respects your knowledge - naturopath or MD - is very valuable.

Believe me, I know what a hassle it is. I went through 4 neurology appts before I finally found an MD that believed that the Imitrex wasn't having any effect on my headaches, and ultimately didn't start to get relief until I'd had about a month of accupuncture treatments, in combination with magnesium and some neurotransmitter precursors. Hang in there! I'd pass the tissue box if I could....

too bad I am not closer to Seattle! Bastys sounds really interesting. 4 hour drive is a BIT too much for a doctor visit :) hehe

triumphator!
July 1st, 2010, 12:05 PM
Could it be from hormones?

crazy_margaret
July 1st, 2010, 12:23 PM
Could it be from hormones?

it probably is. My hormones have been out of whack since I was 13. I have been on birth control for the last 2 which helps with some of the symptoms.

restourceful
July 1st, 2010, 01:12 PM
I started taking biotin a couple weeks ago but have been off of it for a few days.

Could this be the culprit? I don't know, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, but since the biotin reduces shedding, wouldn't you have a larger than normal shed when you stop taking it? :hmm: :shrug:

embee
July 1st, 2010, 01:59 PM
I always brush really well before washing my hair because I do not want to shed in the shower. Nothing like a stopped up tub drain to make my day... :(

I find my greatest shed of the day is in the morning. Or if it's really close to my hair washing day.

Sorry you're being upset by your sheds, it's probably ok and just looks bigger than it really is. We longhairs spook easily about hair shedding. :)

AZDesertRose
July 1st, 2010, 02:07 PM
I've always been a shed monster, worse than my cats. :D (Well, maybe not, but you get the point.)

If your health checks out okay, I wouldn't worry too much. I think restourceful has a point about the biotin. If you stopped taking it, you might well end up with a heavier than normal shed.

I hate shedding too; it drives me batty to have all these little stray hairs everywhere, but it's pretty normal to lose some hair. *hugs*

Iron0Maiden
July 1st, 2010, 02:14 PM
When I wash my hair, a TONN of it comes out into my hand. And I mean a loooot. My hair is in no way getting thinner. So, maybe that just happens to you?

Darkhorse1
July 1st, 2010, 05:56 PM
from your avatar, your hair looks thick and gorgeous!
Most people can shed up to 100 hairs a day, depending on your shed cycle. I know whenever I go through a major shed, I freak out. But, remember, it does grow back and fullness will return.

I think everyone is afraid of being bald. When I started to lose my hair in copious amounts (fistfuls of hair off the floor daily--it was soooo gross!), I was convinced I'd be bald, but I couldnt' see any visable loss---I then read you'd have to lose 50% of your hair to see visible hair loss. So, 40 strands---not to worry. I still get panicky after a wash and see the shed hairs, but I also think the longer our hair gets, the more it looks like more because it twists/curls.

Hugs!!

littleflowerr
July 1st, 2010, 06:03 PM
Going through the same thing :[

hipmama1970
July 1st, 2010, 07:02 PM
I had to jump in since you said your symptoms point to thyroid problems, but after testing everyone says that your thyroid is fine...

My thyroid was considered "normal" for a long time according to the tests, but it really wasn't. When I finally got on the right levels of thyroid replacement for me I felt like a new woman!

Often, whether your levels are considered normal or not may just be a factor of what doctor you're seeing! One doc will look at the labwork and say, "This patient is fine, no thyroid problems here," while another will look at the exact same results and see a person in trouble! Others still will treat based more on symptoms than lab work.

Once I found a doc who would work with me, a lot of health issues cleared up. If you're not familiar with the term, do a search of "subclinical hypothyroidism" and see if that sounds like it might apply to you.

HUGS!!!!!

crazy_margaret
July 2nd, 2010, 10:05 AM
I had to jump in since you said your symptoms point to thyroid problems, but after testing everyone says that your thyroid is fine...

My thyroid was considered "normal" for a long time according to the tests, but it really wasn't. When I finally got on the right levels of thyroid replacement for me I felt like a new woman!

Often, whether your levels are considered normal or not may just be a factor of what doctor you're seeing! One doc will look at the labwork and say, "This patient is fine, no thyroid problems here," while another will look at the exact same results and see a person in trouble! Others still will treat based more on symptoms than lab work.

Once I found a doc who would work with me, a lot of health issues cleared up. If you're not familiar with the term, do a search of "subclinical hypothyroidism" and see if that sounds like it might apply to you.

HUGS!!!!!

thank you so much! I will def look into that more and talk to a doctor about it as soon as my insurance kicks in!

HairColoredHair
July 2nd, 2010, 10:12 AM
Do you wear your hair up or down? I know I tend to lose a lot of hair in the comb/shower, but it's mainly because it can't go anywhere while up. Perhaps that's contributing?

In any case, getting checked by the doctor is probably a good choice. Hair thinnning out a bit in puberty is normal (everyone's hormones are out of whack then), but thinning a lot could be cause for concern.

jivete
July 2nd, 2010, 12:21 PM
I shed more hairs right before my period. In fact, the week before I tend to shed more. I think most of my growth occurs that week too.

I'd just watch it and see if it continues. Otherwise, I probably wouldn't worry too much.

tanya222
July 2nd, 2010, 12:41 PM
Did your naturopath check your ferritin levels? Many months ago I had noticed more shedding than usual so I mentioned it to my naturopath who's just wonderful. He said it could definitely be caused by my low ferritin (we had known about it before that) so he's got me taking 3 iron capsules a day. Since then I haven't noticed more sheddding than usual, my brush looks like there's lots of hair but as others have said it looks like alot when it winds around.

Please don't lose heart! *sending big hugs* :blossom:

tanya222
July 2nd, 2010, 12:55 PM
Also you might like to look into scalp massaging using essential oils. Ive read that rosemary and sage particularly are good for promoting healthy hair growth. Just my 2c!

Ava711
July 6th, 2010, 11:19 AM
I have fairly thick hair, and though I don`t count the number of hairs that get caught in my comb, it`s at least forty. Your hair is always falling out and replacing itself, it certainly doesn`t mean you`re going bald! :)

klcqtee
July 6th, 2010, 12:36 PM
If you've recently been wearing it up a lot, it will contain your shed hairs, and then it will feel like a ton of hair is falling out! I wore my hair braided for 3 days straight, and literally thought I was balding when I finally hopped in the shower.

Crackaleen
July 6th, 2010, 12:57 PM
This may not be your issue, but the longer your hair gets the more it can look like you're shedding. Back when I first started growing out my hair I remember at one point I felt like I was losing too much hair. When I actually took a moment to separate out the hairs, it turned out it really was just normal shedding and that the strands were now long enough that it made it seem like I was losing a lot of hair (and that was one of my clues that I was now a longhair ^.^). I was so used to having short hair and obviously when your hair is on the shorter side a fistful of shed hair seems like awful lot, but as it gets longer that's not necessarily the case.

Anyway, I also wanted to echo others - your hair in your avatar looks very healthy and beautiful.