PDA

View Full Version : strange & somewhat misleading advice from hairstylist?

dainaleeo2
June 30th, 2010, 04:52 PM
I finally did get my hair highlighted today, since i had a post a week earlier about it. When i got there & she was assessing my hair, a new girl that i've never been to for the record, she said that it was so brittle & that it was in a much need of repair. its strange to me, since i've been babying it & as far as i know, it's simply just dry, & i've never noticed a split end in my life [thank goodness]. so after a low developer to take my back to my medium blonde roots [partial highlight], she wacked about a good inch & a half off. i wanted to start crying but i guess it was going to come off sometime. all that hard work :(

anyway, i was telling her about the fact that i rarely shampoo, & that i also use oils such as olive & coconut a lot of the time & that is has helped with my hair condition [i still think my hair was healthier than she was giving me any credit for]. so she told me that was good, but that i basically should stop oiling, & simply do deep conditions of 'salon quality'. this is strange to me since i assumed...oils are so much better since there isn't any added, unnatural ingredients. especially since that's what everyone around here uses. PLUS she wanted me to get this $250 keratin treatment. i've heard of these, never experienced it, but as i read on the internet, a lot of people have experienced actually LOSING chunks of hair! what do you guys think about the advice on not oiling, & the keratin? i'm sure it was a marketing ploy, but truly those products cannot be better than oils, right?

Tiina
June 30th, 2010, 04:59 PM
That person obviously wanted to pitch products to you. Some hairstylists can be quite rude about it and attempt to put you down. While salon products can be good, it doesn't mean that they are going to work for you. If YOU feel oiling is good for your hair, then keep oiling it and if you ever think of giving salon products a try, do so because you want to, not because someone is trying to sell you something regardless of whether you need it or not.

dainaleeo2
June 30th, 2010, 05:14 PM
That person obviously wanted to pitch products to you. Some hairstylists can be quite rude about it and attempt to put you down. While salon products can be good, it doesn't mean that they are going to work for you. If YOU feel oiling is good for your hair, then keep oiling it and if you ever think of giving salon products a try, do so because you want to, not because someone is trying to sell you something regardless of whether you need it or not.

that's what i was assuming she was trying to do. i understand it, but i mean...i'm just getting the knowledge from this site, so then i just got so completely confused. plus i kind of almost felt dumb which didn't make the experience any better :\
I'll continue oiling, & at home recipes. they seem to work better for me plus...they're cheaper! :)

Kaijah
June 30th, 2010, 05:16 PM

This x10.

Think about it - if you're taking really good care of your hair, you (probably) won't go in to get it trimmed/styled often. If you're using oils and homemade products as a DT, you aren't buying her products (lots of them work on commission!). IMO, it's all about the money.

And if you want to try a keratin product, buy Sally's knockoff version (http://www.sallybeauty.com/Hair-Reconstructor/SBS-264022,default,pd.html?mybuyscid=11579490879) of the Joico K-Pak. WAY cheaper than any salon brand, same keratin ingredient. [But you'd have to follow that up with a hardcore moisture treatment, regardless of whether or not your hair likes protein (hardcore protein treatments can contribute to dryness issues).]

If you just wanted to do a protein DT (rather than keratin-protein specific DT), you could get something really cheap... like say, Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut conditioner for a whopping 99 cents. And you could do something crazy, like make it more moisturizing by adding... oils! Or honey! Or aloe vera! Or mixing in other brands of conditioners! ;) Or you could make a PT with eggs and other random kitchen ingredients.

Basically, you're kinda going against the mainstream by not thinking salon products are magic, gold-and-rainbow filled bottles of perfection that are going to make your hair perfect.

Carolyn
June 30th, 2010, 05:21 PM
It was a sales pitch, pure and simple. I don't think it was necessarily misleading. But she was trying to sell you on the treatment. That's what stylists do for a living. Do what you feel is right for your hair. Oils aren't for everyone but a lot of LHCers use them with good success. Salon products aren't all bad and they aren't all good and they aren't for everyone. Next time you might want to show her how much you want taken off. As in saying "I want a half inch trim" and show her what you think a half inch looks like.

Amraann
June 30th, 2010, 05:35 PM
Kind of think of it like when the waitress asks you if you want fries or dessert. They are just upselling.

Also remember that hair dressers often do confuse words. Like saying course hair when that is a texture and they mean dry or just confuse the two.
People can have course healthy hair.

Brittle IMO seems like hair that would break easy not hair that just needs more moisture.

Finally, if she made you feel bad then at that moment you should have walked out.

Sylvanas
June 30th, 2010, 05:56 PM
Even though natural does not always equal good for you, it sounds like a sales pitch to me, as well. It's highly unlikely your hair would be that damaged, without you noticing yourself :)

dainaleeo2
June 30th, 2010, 05:59 PM
thanks for all of the advice & comments :)
i was pretty sure she was just trying to sell products, which does make sense since i work retail & i understand, but at the same time if i said no i do like it when hairstylists are honest & are like yes, this would work for you. ah well.

i think i am just going to stick to my oiling treatments. i do think that she was confused a bit since she said brittle, which to me means moisture, but then she said it was in desperate need of protein...which to me would mean my hair is like cotton candy, which it is not. so that's why i'm not going to do the keratin, & of course since if my hair started falling out i would die.

i'm actually doing a moisture/protein treatment with mayo, egg yolk, & olive oil. i can do treatments with yogurt too for protein, so it won't be intense like what she wanted me to do. i was just thrown for a moment since it went against everything i had learned on here so i was nervous. i'm still a newbie on the hair treatment deal.

Kathie
June 30th, 2010, 06:44 PM
Good for you though, not falling for it on the spot! Yeah like you said, one minute she said it was brittle (needs moisture) the next she recommends a protein treatment :rolleyes:, which could make your hair more brittle without a moisture boost to counteract it. I really think you were the smart one in this situation :D

dainaleeo2
June 30th, 2010, 10:11 PM
Good for you though, not falling for it on the spot! Yeah like you said, one minute she said it was brittle (needs moisture) the next she recommends a protein treatment :rolleyes:, which could make your hair more brittle without a moisture boost to counteract it. I really think you were the smart one in this situation :D

:D excellent! thats what i was thinking. there's no way brittle needs protein...especially since i look meticulously for split ends & haven't found any.
which brings me to the idea that i didnt need to cut as much as i did...but ah well. it was dry anyway. :p ah well.

christine1989
June 30th, 2010, 11:49 PM
Ha! That "advice" is so transparent. Like you said it is definatly a sales pitch. Oils are much better than salon products. Those salon treatments are so full of synthetic ingredients that they clog your hair follicles and block them from absorbing any natural oils that are good for your hair.

Loreley
July 1st, 2010, 12:52 AM
She just wanted to sell that product. I think many hairdressers don't care about the condition of other people's hair. They sell products which are not better than the ones the customer uses. And if their hair is in good condition they won't go to her often.

Pumpkin
July 1st, 2010, 08:07 AM
While there are decent hair stylists in the business, it is a business. And like some have said here, she was upselling. Do what you have been doing and keep coming back to this community. Just take a look around here, and you will see the people who do use oils and other 'non' salon products, and their hair is beautiful.

Calaelen
July 1st, 2010, 11:16 AM
This was definitely a sales pitch. I am a stylist, and we're told to do that by our bosses. (which is why I work for myself) It is unethical and wrong, but like most business, it's what you get.

One thing I can say is that if you do feel your hair is dry, perhaps you can try different at home treatments. For one thing, though you wouldn't think it, olive oil can be very drying to hair because of the acids in it and because it is a thinker oil that absorbs differently than some of the better suited hair oils like jojoba, coconut, grapeseed, and shea.. If I put anything with olive oil in it, my hair feels crunchy. Olive oil can be great for some, but as a rule, it is better for thick coarse hair like many Mediterranean/Middle Eastern women have.

Also, when you mentioned your protein idea, you said you might add mayo. Mayo can be drying because it has lemon juice, egg whites, and sometimes many other additives to it. Why not try a self made mayo with your oil of choice, only egg yolk, and ACV instead of white vinegar. By omitting the olive oil, egg white, and lemon, you would be giving yourself a much more conditioning treatment. You can also add essential oils, avocado, gelatin, and many more things to personalize your own home treatment, and get AMAZING results.

Sorry for the book, but just had to drop in with that info. Good Luck with your hair.

triumphator!
July 1st, 2010, 11:59 AM
How rude! Clearly your stylist was just trying to get you to buy stuff.

amaiaisabella
July 1st, 2010, 12:06 PM
If you like oils, stick with them. If you like conditioners, go for that. But if you've already found a routine I wouldn't be dissuaded. I have to be careful with oils because I tend to shed quite a bit with them, but if I put them on my hair and then quickly put my hair up, they seem to be contained and I lose less hair than normal. Maybe that was her concern?

Still, as we know from this site, conditioners don't have to be "salon quality", though there are a lot of great salon ones out there :)

Fethenwen
July 1st, 2010, 12:08 PM
That was kinda clumsy way of her to try to sell products, at least by reading your post it seemed like it. Making a customer feel uncomfortable is not gonna sell anything.

Iron0Maiden
July 1st, 2010, 02:25 PM
Do what you normally have been doing... she is obviously trying to get you to buy all her stuff. Like if you would tell most people you put coconut oil on your hair, they will think you are whako, but you really are not!

LouLaLa
July 1st, 2010, 02:32 PM
She sounds like someone just trying to get you to commit to expensive treatments!

My hairdresser told me my hair was over processed and I said "oh no will I need lots cut off then" to which she told me, get conditioner, oil, whatever you fancy, put lots on your head and wrap it up in a hot towel and if I left the hair alone and quite dye itd become shiny again. She said the salon wouldnt really do anythig different to this and as such there wasnt much point in paying salon prices to have a microwaved towel on my head. My hair dresser is a pretty cool upfront lady so I trust her advice on this one. I also saw another hairdresser when I got a free haircut through work and she told me pretty much the same thing. Essentially regular trims are good but not as necessary as some suggest and hairdryers and peroxide kill your hair. If youre oiling etc I imagine you have AMAZING hair. I aspire to be that good to my hair and have now vowed to let it go natural.

Im not one for sitting in damp towels so I use a sauna instread and put on lots of olive oil. My hair is really soft and shiny now!

Hope my experience helps :)

zenobia
July 1st, 2010, 02:39 PM
Removed for privacy

Darkhorse1
July 1st, 2010, 05:51 PM
Sales pitch. Classic. Good hair stylists know some tricks--heck, my hair stylist says she uses pantene and recommends it. She could easily try to promote a salon brand, but she doesn't.

Now, having said that, I seem to recall a few friends of mine with blond hair that colored it, found it could get very brittle--just from the dying process. Perhaps that's what the stylist meant?

I found olive oil really helped strengthen my ends, as I work outdoors/in the elements and my ends were really, really bad. I joined this forum and tried a few different tricks, and found olive oil worked amazing for me (just my ends for my needs). There are many home based products you can try. From eggs, mayonaise, beer, catnip---many natural ways--I know many people swear by catnip rinses, but just becareful as it does color hair I believe.

I think the key is to find out what your hair likes. Mine hates protein, but loves olive oil. Yours may be the reverse. Best of luck to you for finding what's good for your hair :)

leslissocool
July 3rd, 2010, 12:21 PM
one of my closest friends graduated from the Paul Mitchell salon school thing... his products are amazing, but even she won't let ANYONE cut her hair... she advised me not to trim my hair to get it healthy, but to treat it with natural oils and some of the paul mitchell products that are natural... i bleached my hair 7 times, and my hair need some protein and is just barely dry after i treated it... I used the dumb blond from tigi too, but i also oil/ deep condition with olive oil, avocado and almond...

i just bought a keratin treatment for 21 bucks, so i'll see how it works for me... she told me to beware of too much protein (like the some CHI and Redkin products) because too much protein can make your hair brake... O.0